• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Caeda?

10fefemalebandwagons
Yeah... I'm talking about characters that actually have some kind of prominence, both popularly and canonically. If that were the case I'd still be pulling for Ephraim. Who better be DLC in FE13.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Caeda?

10fefemalebandwagons
Sheeda is not notable in Fire Emblem outside of being the first love interest in the series. If you are talking about a possible spear-wielder in Fire Emblem, the most likely would be Ephraim, one of the two lords from FE8. However, Ephraim's time has past (though he will probably show up as DLC for FE13 eventually).

As it stands, Bandanna Dee is by far the most likely spear-wielding character to be in Smash Bros.

Edit: Looks like Star beat me.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah... I'm talking about characters that actually have some kind of prominence, both popularly and canonically.
Because those are totally the top requirements for a character.

And didn't Sakurai say something about her being the main heroine in FE12?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Nope.

On a sidenote, Sheeda is not even the SECOND most wanted FE female in Japan. Lyn even gets more requests than her (due to her Assist Trophy status in Brawl). Micaiah, has pretty much been the favorite for a female Fire Emblem character in Smash Bros. ever since Radiant Dawn was released in Japan. I have seen more requests for Eirika even.

If we are talking about females from Marth's games, Tiki also has Sheeda beat for popularity. Heck, Tiki is the only character from Marth's saga that shows up as a playable character in the main story in FE13.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Well, if you can have a better character do the same trick she can, why have her? Especially when she would be in over Roy and/or Krom.

As far as being the main heroine of FE12 I doubt that. Until she gets her own DLC chapter in Awakening she is barely above the other common units in the series.

D

Deleted member

To change the subject, remember when Sakurai said that the only newer series he felt worthy of playable characters for Brawl was Pikmin and Animal Crossing (though AC didn't fit the fighting vibe, and somehow, he didn't mention WarioWare despite Wario being added to represent that specific series...(does he really just not like Wario...?))?
What series post-Brawl do you guys think Sakurai would find worthy this time? First one that pops up to mind for me is Rhythm Heaven, but I don't see that getting a new character unless Sakurai finds Karate Joe to be a good choice.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
To change the subject, remember when Sakurai said that the only newer series he felt worthy of playable characters for Brawl was Pikmin and Animal Crossing (though AC didn't fit the fighting vibe, and somehow, he didn't mention WarioWare despite Wario being added to represent that specific series...(does he really just not like Wario...?))?
What series post-Brawl do you guys think Sakurai would find worthy this time? First one that pops up to mind for me is Rhythm Heaven, but I don't see that getting a new character unless Sakurai finds Karate Joe to be a good choice.
Well, let's look at series, not represented in Brawl, that have had new games since Brawl:

Punch Out!!
Sin and Punishment
Golden Sun
Legendary Starfy
Xenoblade
Rhythm Heaven
Animal Crossing
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Golden Sun, Starfy, and Sin & Punishment spring to mind as the most likely newer series, but those all debuted pre-Brawl (S&P even before Melee).

Post-Brawl I think the only possible one would be Xenoblade, but that's only a possibility, and it's not even a series. Rhythm heaven is possible, but I think it will be in the same situation as AC.

And I don't think he mentioned WarioWare because he treats the Wario series as starting with Wario Land back on Gameboy. (That's why Wario is placed before Pokemon in All-Star and not after Pikmin).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Punch-Out is the only one I would be shocked if it didn't get a playable character (Little Mac). Everything else (Sin & Punishment, Starfy, Golden Sun, Miis) I feel can go either way (even Miis). I personally think Golden Sun missed the boat, and that Starfy not having a new game in a long while both may make them AT's again. S&P is above the rest due to getting a sequel on the Wii (despite its abysmal sales) and due to Sakurai's love of rail shooters, though I am 50/50 on Saki happening (which is a lot better than Starfy and Isaac though). For Mii's it really depends on whether Sakurai ruled them out for Brawl. I think Shulk's chances are better than Starfy and Isaac, but worse than Saki's.

I would also say Miyamoto's new IP character has a really good shot, though there is also the possibility that the main character might not lend him/her/itself to fighting, or that that the character would somehow be unable to be implementable in Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

What I would love to see for a Fire Emblem roster; Marth, Ike, Roy, Leaf, and Krom.

For Mario newcomers; I currently like Toad and Geno the most (thought only the former has a realistic chance), but Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., and even Waluigi are good alternates for me. Just as long as the franchise gets a newcomer.

Also in regards to trends; they are one of the most dangerous things in Smash speculation. Trends that we follow could very well come back and bite us when we are not looking.

If trends were so reliable, Ridley would have no shot of being in Smash 4 given that he has made appearance in 64, Melee, and Brawl outside of trophies and has yet to become playable. The reason why Ridley is considered a probable addition is because of how highly deserving he is and this is one "trends" we should expect to be broken.

@GiantBreadbug: We can't just expand on characters and stages forever. Not only is there time constraints that will most likely prevent Sakurai from getting everything he wants in, there's also the matter that characters are extremely difficult to balance and will only become more difficult as the roster grows. This is why I think Smash 4 will the last game to expand on the roster. I would expect Smash 5 to refresh it entirely.

Plus I want to see lots of changes in Smash 4, I don't want more of the same stuff, I want to see new innovations taking place and more risks being done. That's what made the past three games so great and that's why Smash 4 should be no exception.

@Starphoenix: Your post on Waddle Dee was good and I'd like to see him in a Smash game, but I feel as he comes across a major problem that I feel will keep him out of this game; Sakurai's modesty. I don't think Sakurai wants to overdo Kirby in reps and I think he would rather keep it at three reps as it is. Maybe if Smash 5 expands beyond what we get in Smash 4 can I see Bandanna Dee as a serious possibility, but not right now.
FalchionX7 said:
Holy damn, SSBF's posts are longer than John's. =0
That's because I have a lot to say when I enter the thread to make a comment. Don't expect me to make short posts unless I'm mobile or if there isn't much to comment on.
Holder of the Heel said:
Toad being the most wanted doesn't answer the issues I have mentioned. And yes, any character would kick out another inevitably, but that wasn't the point. The point was that when in, as said before he is going to kick someone else out, which means that someone who doesn't have any of the problems Toad has did not get in that slot. I would like Toad in, but we haven't quite exhausted all of our options yet, when we get to those kind of characters, I think he should be the first o be put in.
I think your problem is basically stating that Toad doesn't have anything that doesn't stand out more to him than to other characters?

Perhaps it's possible that they can take some moves from Wario's Wood, where he was the main protagonist? Other than that, I can't think of much, but I could see him basically taking moves that he can use that Mario and Luigi doesn't use in Smash Bros or pull something completely unique out of him a la Captain Falcon?
Holder of the Heel said:
Could you sell me Duck Hunt Dog's moveset to me? I am still utterly lost with that choice.
I could easily think of B moves and a Final Smash, but I know you're probably asking for some A moves as well, which if I get time, I'll try to think of some.
GoldenYuiitusin said:
@SSBF: Why would he not look at/consider Toon Zelda again? As proven, Sakurai tends to look back on old characters that didn't make the cut. So why would someone like Ghirahim be the only one he would consider?
Toon Zelda/Sheik faces two major problems. The first is that few people want to see Toon Zelda/Sheik in Smash and the second is that they are clone materials and Sakurai is moving away as we speak from clones. The worst we will get is semi-clones. Toon Zelda/Sheik would be too similar to the one we already have and I don't think Sakurai wants that.
GoldenYuiitusin said:
So bear with me, I'm going to make a little crackpot idea.
What if...Ike WAS replaced by Krom, while Krom takes near everything from Ike except Eruption, as Roy returns with Flare Blade. Krom gets a new move in place of Eruption.
Then Micaiah comes in as another Newcomer, to represent Tellius (even if Ike represented it better)?
Why does Krom have to be a semi-clone for Ike? Is it that hard to give him an unique move set since if he were to get in, he wouldn't have to worry about time constraints like Roy?

And if Ike represents Tellius better, then he should return.
ChronoBound said:
Seriously, I think this might mean that Sakurai could be aware that Bandanna Dee has been promoted to a major character in the series.
I believe this is the first time he's been a major character in a game, right?

If so, let's wait and see if Bandanna Dee continues to make appearances in Kirby game in a similar or bigger capacity. But I have a feeling that he's a one-time deal and will be replaced by another major Waddle Dee.
ChronoBound said:
Also, I am curious how Sakurai is going to classify Mewtwo and Roy if they come back. Will they be counteed as newcomers, veterans, or some entirely new category?
They would most definitely be counted as veterans.
Starphoenix said:
Shortie X Chrono
Kuma X Chu
Golden X Arcade
I'm not really aware of Golden x Arcade and according to a KumaOso post later on, it's supposedly over. As for the Shortie X Chrono, this has got to stop. All it really boils down is a ****ing contest between the two, which is quite frankly immature on both accounts. I understand both are frustrated with each other, but if you two dislike each other so much, you should try to ignore each other for awhile.

D

Deleted member

Why does Krom have to be a semi-clone for Ike? Is it that hard to give him an unique move set since if he were to get in, he wouldn't have to worry about time constraints like Roy?
I don't know, maybe it's the fact that Krom fights near exactly like Ike and even uses Aether and Quick Draw that makes it "hard" to give him a unique moveset.
The most I can see Krom getting different from Ike is the Nuetral Special, as Roy would take that instead.

D

Deleted member

I would also say Miyamoto's new IP character has a really good shot, though there is also the possibility that the main character might not lend him/her/itself to fighting, or that that the character would somehow be unable to be implementable in Smash Bros.
I don't see why everyone thinks that Miyamoto's new IP will automatically get in.
It's not like everything Miyamoto has made is in Smash, I mean, we still don't have Muddy Mole (even though Sakurai showed interest) or Sheriff.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hey guys, on GTTV they just unveiled that Sony All Star fighting game. From what people on NeoGAF are saying it is a straight up Super Smash Bros clone. Apparently it is A LOT like Smash. I did not turn it on Spike quickly enough to see for myself.

OH CRAP NEVERMIND! O_O

D

Deleted member

Probably just Animal Crosser and Mii's if anything, but Mii's are more likely. Maybe Xenoblade, but even after the arguments made here, I still see him no more than a dark horse candidate.

In general, I would say that there are a lot of possibilities for modern misc. series rep, but the four most likely are Punch-Out!!, Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, and Mii (not in order). I expect three of those to make it, but I could see all four being in the next Smash. Starfy, Custom Robo, Animal Crossing, and Xenoblade are all possibilities, but I feel they are varying degrees of steps below the four I've mentioned.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Kratos, Sweet Tooth, some dude from Killzone, Fat Princess and Parappa are playable. Each character has three tiers of super moves. There are several different stages.

This will be interesting to see what Super Smash Bros does as far as their own improvements.

D

Deleted member

I don't know, maybe it's the fact that Krom fights near exactly like Ike and even uses Aether and Quick Draw that makes it "hard" to give him a unique moveset.
The most I can see Krom getting different from Ike is the Nuetral Special, as Roy would take that instead.
Krom does fight with lances, so he could incorporate that into his move sets.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
What I would love to see for a Fire Emblem roster; Marth, Ike, Roy, Leaf, and Krom.
That would be my choice too if I had to five slots to Fire Emblem. However, Leaf is just very unlikely despite how cool he is. FE5 was basically a spinoff in terms of storyline (basically showed what Leaf was doing before he met up with Celice's army in FE4), and main Jugdral game is considered to be FE4. It also does not help that FE4 and FE5 were the only two games in the Fire Emblem series to receive absolutely no content in Brawl (no music, no stickers, no trophies, no characters, no stage, nothing).

Marth: Represents the Akaneia games (FE1, FE2, FE3, FE11, FE12)
Roy: Represents the GBA FE trilogy (FE6, FE7, FE8)
Ike: Represents the Tellius storyline (FE9, FE10)
Leaf: Represents the Jugdral storyline (FE4, FE5)
Krom: Represents the latest game in the series (FE13)

Krom does fight with lances, so he could incorporate that into his move sets.
If Krom gets in, a lance-based move will probably be one of his specials.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ike fought with axes. I'm sure glad that they were incorporated into his movese-wait a minute...
If Roy comes back, I can see them giving Eruption to Roy, while giving Ike an axe-based move as his new neutral-special (especially if Ike comes back as FE10 Ike).

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well, the Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale game confirmed there will be third party characters. So let me ask you all something. A lot of people have speculated about Solid Snake or a Final Fantasy character. If that happened what would you guys think about that? Especially if Super Smash Bros 4 is also open to guest characters again. Just asking out of curiosity.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Personally, as long as it didn't affect which 3rd parties got into smash (which is unlikely), I have no problem with whichever 3rd parties they use. I think someone like Cloud would fit alot better in Sony's game then Smash, anyway.

edit: However if they got Snake and Smash didn't I'd be a little upset. Same goes with any other 3rd party that actually has a possibility of getting in SSB4, like Sonic or Megaman (although those two appearing in Sony's game is far more unlikely than Snake, I believe)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I hate when "exclusive rosters" people start rearing up their ugly heads when I'm gone. Stomped it out last summer, I'll do it again this summer.

*two finger point at Diddy and adjusts my cowboy hat*

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I posted a week ago whether Snake being in the Sony Smash Bros. would possibly keep Snake out of real Smash Bros. I think its possible that Kojima might be content to have Snake in a game with more characters like his own, and still be in a Smash Bros. like fighter. I personally think Snake fits in more with the likes of Kratos, Sweet Tooth, someone from Killzone, more than he does with the entirety of Brawl's roster.

I think as it currently stands, Snake may be one of the most likely characters from Brawl to leave.

I really like Snake's moveset though. However, in the event he does get cut, I hope people jump on the Pico taking Snake's moveset bandwagon (since Pico is awesome).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I posted a week ago whether Snake being in the Sony Smash Bros. would possibly keep Snake out of real Smash Bros. I think its possible that Kojima might be content to have Snake in a game with more characters like his own, and still be in a Smash Bros. like fighter.

I think as it currently stands, Snake may be one of the most likely characters from Brawl to leave.

I really like Snake's moveset though. However, in the event he does get cut, I hope people jump on the Pico taking Snake's moveset bandwagon (since Pico is awesome).
I agree that Kojima may have the "one and done" mentality about Snake and Smash Bros, especially since I bet Sony would push to get Snake in their game, and the characters do fit better beside Snake. I hope not though, I enjoyed him also.

Would Pico really gain that much support just because he could take Snake's moveset, though?

D

Deleted member

Well, it is said that they were trying to get James Bond, so it isn't all that out there.

I'm watching some videos, and:
1. I'm actually jealous that I don't get to play this (no PS3).
2. Actually interested despite knowing jack **** about these characters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh god it looks so much like Smash.

I've never really cared that much about Sony characters, and I still don't much, but I might wind up getting this game just so I can play it when I'm at a house with a PS3.
I'd make everybody else play it :woman:

They should just be upfront and call it Sony Smash Bros. :laugh:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Would Pico really gain that much support just because he could take Snake's moveset, though?
Even if Snake is announced not to return for Smash 4 in an interview with Sakurai, I don't think it will do anything for Pico's chances. Pico is one of those characters that I personally like but will most likely never get in as a playable character in Smash Bros.

I do see Pico possibly gaining a cult following though on Western Smash Bros. sites due the belief he could take Snake's moveset though.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
watching "PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale — April 27, 2012"... checks internal computer clock... 10:48PM 4/26/2012... :cool:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You know who else can take Snake's moveset?
Slippy.
That would be quite the :troll: on Sakurai's part.

Another possible choice for taking Snake's moveset might be Will from Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, though I doubt Sakurai even knows who he is (since Days of Ruin was never even released in Japan).

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I posted a week ago whether Snake being in the Sony Smash Bros. would possibly keep Snake out of real Smash Bros. I think its possible that Kojima might be content to have Snake in a game with more characters like his own, and still be in a Smash Bros. like fighter. I personally think Snake fits in more with the likes of Kratos, Sweet Tooth, someone from Killzone, more than he does with the entirety of Brawl's roster.

If you are going to have a new character there is not a much better option than Andy. Another option would be to give aspects of the moveset to Wolf, modelling him after Assault and some of the weaponry in that game

[Rumor] Wii U getting a new Metroid and maybe Android support?

Retro Studios reportedly working on Metroid...
awww... i wanted a new FZERO... well, if they are doing Metroid, we know the IP is in good hands.
Metroid yes! Android, double yes!! I love the Android OS. Believe it or not I really want the Android rumor to be true.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wouldn't Andy get it before Will? I could see him with a slightly more "cartoon'd" version of Snake's moveset, if someone had to take it. (Someone from Advance Wars)

Maybe use a wrench or two, lol.

edit: dammit ninja'd

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Thinking about Snake's possible exclusion further, I remember for Smash Bros. Universe, the list of newcomers included Sonic, but not Snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom