• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The plot thickens, although I still think that list was fake.

edit: Not that I think the list is real, but the lack of Snake could make up for the abundance of other 3rd parties on that list.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^I would love if a character in Smash used a wrench, but I think Andy's the only one that could pull it off, and I don't think he's that likely.

Any other notable wrench-users?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The Advance Wars series is more niche in Japan than even Custom Robo, Starfy, and Golden Sun. Advance Wars 1 & 2 for the GBA was only released in Japan in 2004 in the form of a dual pack (which sold poorly). Dual Strike also sold very poorly in Japan (less than 30K). I think this is the reason why Days of Ruin ended up not even being released in Japan, despite being developed by Intelligent Systems.

D

Deleted member

@augustoflores: Dang, was really hoping F-zero or Star Fox was next. Hopefully, Sega/Monster Games (the one who developed the underappreciated Excitebots: Trick Racing game) will tackle F-zero. And hopefully Star Fox still gets a game this gen.

As for Snake being cut, if that were to be the case, his move set will go with him. The best we can reasonably hope for is that it can help give Wolf unique specials and perhaps encourage Sakurai to make Wolf the first semi-clone character into a completely unique one.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
how did famicom wars fare?

@SSBF, was also hoping on them reviving fzero or starfox, too... but it's still a rumour...

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I noticed something about both Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog. In their movesets both characters took from their separate appearances in their own fighting games. Solid Snake took some moves from his appearance in Dream World TV Fighter, and Sonic the Hedgehog took from Sonic: The Fighters. If Megaman was in I could see him drawing from Marvel vs. Capcom and Megaman: Power Fighters.

The Advance Wars series is more niche in Japan than even Custom Robo, Starfy, and Golden Sun. Advance Wars 1 & 2 for the GBA was only released in Japan in 2004 in the form of a dual pack (which sold poorly). Dual Strike also sold very poorly in Japan (less than 30K). I think this is the reason why Days of Ruin ended up not even being released in Japan, despite being developed by Intelligent Systems.
Kind of hard to believe considering the series has been around as long as Fire Emblem. Either way it sure beat's Pico. Although I'd go with the Wolf idea if needed.

D

Deleted member

Who knows, maybe Microsoft will make their own mascot fighter. :troll:
And then Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft will work together for once and make an interconsole war fighting game between Smash Bros., Playstation All-Stars, and whatever Microsoft makes. :troll::troll:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As for Snake being cut, if that were to be the case, his move set will go with him. The best we can reasonably hope for is that it can help give Wolf unique specials and perhaps encourage Sakurai to make Wolf the first semi-clone character into a completely unique one.
I agree that Snake's moveset will most likely not have a replacement.

As for you and Star's suggestion that Snake's specials (or at least some of them) be given to Wolf, I think it would fit. However, the rest of Wolf is completely unique. He really only needs different specials and different Final Smash and then he would be a completely unique character. He is only five moves away from being a completely unique character.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
As for you and Star's suggestion that Snake's specials (or at least some of them) be given to Wolf, I think it would fit. However, the rest of Wolf is completely unique. He really only needs different specials and different Final Smash and then he would be a completely unique character. He is only five moves away from being a completely unique character.
Wolf's special could be the grenades from Assault.
Wolf's side special can be the rocket launcher from Assault.
Wolf's down special could be the trip mine from Assault.
Wolf's aerial special can better reflect the jet pack from Assault.

Believe it or not this was my original concept on how I wanted Wolf to play if he made it into Brawl.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pico and Andy =/= Snake replacements.

Have some imagination. >:V
Who do you think would be a good Snake replacement? If he hypothetically had to be replaced.
edit: Wolf actually does sound like a pretty good replacement. (At least for some specials)

Who knows, maybe Microsoft will make their own mascot fighter. :troll:
And then Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft will work together for once and make an interconsole war fighting game between Smash Bros., Playstation All-Stars, and whatever Microsoft makes. :troll::troll:
I would cry (wo)manly tears if Banjo and Conker were playable in a Microsoft Smash.
...they should still be with Nintendo... in Smash... :cry:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am really curious to E3 now. I wonder when the first guest characters for Sony Smash Bros. will be unveiled. I do think Snake and Cloud will be the guests that get the most clamor for inclusion (though technically Spyro and Crash are also both third-party characters that I could see people following Sony Smash Bros. bringing a big push for inclusion).

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Who do you think would be a good Snake replacement? If he hypothetically had to be replaced.
Snake was Snake. His moves shouldn't be tacked on to any other character because they really just don't belong to anyone else. Especially when you could make Pico or Andy stand out on their own without resorting to trying to make them like someone else.

THAT IS TO SAY, SNAKE IS IRREPLACEABLE.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Snake was Snake. His moves shouldn't be tacked on to any other character because they really just don't belong to anyone else. Especially when you could make Pico or Andy stand out on their own without resorting to trying to make them like someone else.

THAT IS TO SAY, SNAKE IS IRREPLACEABLE.
Pssh, Snake is a clone. He is not irreplaceable.

D

Deleted member

Guys, guys. Snake's not gonna be in Smash 4. He's retired.
Now Raiden on the other hand...

D

Deleted member

ChronoBound said:
However, the rest of Wolf is completely unique. He really only needs different specials and different Final Smash and then he would be a completely unique character. He is only five moves away from being a completely unique character.
Which is precisely why I think that Wolf and Luigi are the only two "semi-clones" (characters who shares more than two moves with another character) with a shot of being unique. There's not much left to declone for those two and it's reasonable to assume that Sakurai can be bothered to declone those few remaining similarities (even if Snake does return). I'd throw Lucario there as well, but it's a stretch to call two somewhat similar moves a semi-clone and feel that he is in the "unique" pile despite said similarities.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It was more that anyone who thinks Pico and Andy are only good as replacements lack imagination.

They're not really GOOD choices anyway but, y'know, whatever.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Which is precisely why I think that Wolf and Luigi are the only two "semi-clones" (characters who shares more than two moves with another character) with a shot of being unique. There's not much left to declone for those two and it's reasonable to assume that Sakurai can be bothered to declone those few remaining similarities (even if Snake does return). I'd throw Lucario there as well, but it's a stretch to call two somewhat similar moves a semi-clone and feel that he is in the "unique" pile despite said similarities.
I would throw Lucas in there as well, who like Wolf, is only a mere five moves away from being a completely unique character.

Lucario, however, is already a completely unique character. Aura Sphere might be very similar to Shadow Ball, but otherwise, Lucario is completely unique.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Microsoft Smash Bros... all they have are Master Chief, Banjo-Kazooie, Joanna Dark, Kameo, that girl from Sudeki, a bunch of pinatas, that girl from the cover of Ninety Nine Nights, 'Splosion Man, bunch of characters from Lost Odyssey, bunch of Killer Instinct characters, juno/vela/Lupus from jet force gemini, Infinite Undiscovery characters, that black guy from crackdown, Conker, captain smiley, blue dragon characters, blinx, Fable characters... if they have names... or not, do what you will.

... i came in expecting less... lol... i guess they do have enough resources to make a Microsoft smash bros... just don't call it all-stars... bunch of these aren't stars but would be gems to have...
Rare and all the RPGs pretty much made the cast...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Microsoft Smash Bros... all they have are Master Chief, Banjo-Kazooie, Joanna Dark, Kameo, that girl from Sudeki, a bunch of pinatas, that girl from the cover of Ninety Nine Nights, 'Splosion Man, bunch of characters from Lost Odyssey, bunch of Killer Instinct characters, juno/vela/Lupus from jet force gemini, Infinite Undiscovery characters, that black guy from crackdown, Conker, captain smiley, blue dragon characters, blinx, Fable characters... if they have names... or not, do what you will.

... i came in expecting less... lol... i guess they do have enough resources to make a Microsoft smash bros... just don't call it all-stars... bunch of these aren't stars but would be gems to have...
Rare pretty much made the cast... as well as all the RPGs.
That's actually a decent amount of characters, although a good deal of them aren't very well known.

I'd love to play as Splosion' Man. Although he pretty much just splodes, lol.

Watching the classic Rare characters would just hurt too much though. I know if yani were here he'd agree with me, lol.

D

Deleted member

Holy ****, while looking for Nintendo All Stars Battle Royale (because I thought the original Smash Bros. was called that in Japan), I found that source I was talking about a long time ago when Miyamoto said Bowser was in Smash 64! (And confirmed that Falcon was going to be in it early on.)
http://www.miyamotoshrine.com/theman/interviews/111998.shtml

NP: What can you tell us about the upcoming all-star fighting game featuring Nintendo characters?

Miyamoto: It may sound like a bloody game if you label it as a fighting game. It's not bloody at all. Instead, it's an enjoyable "hitting" game like sumo in Japan, in which you have to force your opponent out of a ring, or cage in this case. There will probably be more than ten characters including some secret characters who've appeared in older Nintendo games. I think we'll be calling the game "Nintendo All-Star Battle Royal Smash Bros." or something like that. I think we are going to launch it early next year.

NP: Who are some of the characters?

Miyamoto: Of course, Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Donkey Kong will be in it. Samus from Metroid and some of Nintendo's secondary characters like Pikachu from Pokémon appear.

NP: Is Link in the game?

Miyamoto: Yes, he'll be swinging his sword in the game. Captain Falcon from F-Zero will also be in the game.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am thinking Sakurai's hand may be forced into showing a trailer at E3 2012 now. Keep in mind that Melee's CGI trailer was made in only a month (though tons of gameplay for Melee was also shown at E3 2001 as well).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Mach Rider was the original Splosion' Man. :shades:

But yeah, Mach Rider would be alot more awesome. Unless you also gave Splosion Man a gun. Then it would be close, lol.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
wait... what about ms splosion man?
The more characters that spontaneously combust the better.

And as it seems to be being discussed again here's my prediction I posted earlier about SSB4 at E3:
ChaosKid said:
As the game that generates probably the most hype of any game Nintendo could announce, I think it would be in the companies best interest to at least have a short CG trailer. Something that doesn't necessarily need any gameplay but reveals at least one or two newcomers. Add the name and a logo, and that's what I expect.
Plus now it has Sony's game to compete with, so I would hope that would make a reveal even more likely.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
bah! sony smash isn't even true to the game... there is no sumo-ing in the game... it's HP based... it sucks...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe it'll suffer the same fate as the other Smash clones that tried to use HP instead of sumo-ing.

Although I doubt it, it just has to many recognizable and acclaimed characters to not sell at least decently, if not fairly well.

@Golden
I remember reading that interview before, although it slipped my mind until you brought it back up.

I bet Miyamoto would've revealed the whole planned roster if asked more!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Warning: Your Mouth Might be Eaten by YOUR FACE!!! ;P

So, people still care about Sony's wannabe smash bros apparently=??? What are you gonna tell me next, people still play the video game Ice Climber=??? :laugh:
I think if Sakurai doesn't view Little Mac as a retro character anymore, the retro character he does decide to reveal will be much harder to predict, although if the first trailer does make its debut in Japan in the fall instead of E3, I think Takamaru would be the best retro to pick, as he would get much more recognition there. Of course the retro character could also be someone like Mach Rider or Balloon Fighter (a pipe dream of mine, lol), although I suspect those are less likely.
I pretty much agree with you. However, I must point out that Little Mac is still retro because he is old. However, he is also modern because he has been in recent games. Therefore, he fits in the " recently revived/always viable" category. Takamaru, the Balloon Fighter, and the Mach Rider are all definitely retro character possibilities.
I think the characters that would best fit in the mega-popular newcomers category would be better off as unlockables, such as Ridley, K. Rool, or Mewtwo
I don't know about that. You want to reveal your most "hyped" characters a bit before the game comes out. A few months beforehand is best (like how Sonic was revealed).
For the newer character, I think a number of characters would work well here, Isaac, Shulk, Palutena (who technically isn't new, but barely had any recognition before Uprising), Mii, or even Miyamoto's new IP character (if the game is revealed before SSB4 is).
If you think about it, that's a short list. You listed only 5 characters (assuming Miyamoto is making a new IP). I could think of a dozen retro characters in less than 30 seconds.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You mean, just Kratos? :troll:
lol, mostly. :awesome:

I assume Jak & Daxter, and Sackboy will be in also.
...and Cole, and Ratchet and Clank, and Nathan, and Sly Cooper.
........and whatever 3rd parties they end up using will probably draw people in pretty well too.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Probably Lara Croft, too. Maybe Spyro and Crash if Sony can get the rights to them, too Of course they probably won't due to a lack of effort. :laugh:
OK... So upon reading Sakurai's comments... I am now absolutely terrified. Is he going to force you to buy a 3DS and Smash3D in order to do most of the content in the WiiU one? How much is he going to change the direction? Is it going to be to the point that we won't be able to do the same ol' 1v1 competitive games? And let's hope he still wants to make the roster bigger. Dear god...
I imagine it working like an RPG system for single-player (possibly for a new mode for use in multiplayer) that you can transfer levels and stuff from the 3DS Smash to the Wii U Smash. I also think we're going to see small things like trophies, stickers, and other collectables transferable between the two consoles. I think that is what he means. ;)
At least it's better-sounding than the SSE! :embarrass:

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Holy ****, while looking for Nintendo All Stars Battle Royale (because I thought the original Smash Bros. was called that in Japan), I found that source I was talking about a long time ago when Miyamoto said Bowser was in Smash 64! (And confirmed that Falcon was going to be in it early on.)
http://www.miyamotoshrine.com/theman/interviews/111998.shtml
Oh man, memory lane fellas. Flashback to a smelly 90's locker room where Toise's Super Champions defeated the Opposing Team Visitors 29-0, lots of high-fives and butt-fives all around. Suddenly Kid Vid from the Burger King Kid's Club bursts into the room with some paper from the internet. Had this exact same interview. Everyone pictured it as some terrible Mortal Kombat knockoff where Mario finally kills Link or something and more or less forgot about it.

Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom