• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Xenoblade is about to be 2 years old. It will be 4 by the time the game has come out.
Should've mentioned that this is the difference between a first title's release date and the finalization of a roster, so 2 years for Xenoblade.

Had to double check: Pokemon was actually about 2-3 years old, but we really shouldn't be comparing Xenoblade to a cultural phenomenon. Next youngest was Pikmin at 4 years, then Star Fox at 5, Kirby at 6. At the very least, these games all had sequels and had more going for them than "strong critical reception."

Not saying this is a hard rule Sakurai definitely follows, but that's one hell of a trend. It's even stronger than the in-house trend you keep bringing up as a point against other series, and as a bonus, it mostly applies to the existing series newcomers as well.

Interesting point, but not something very definitive. I don't think Sakurai has said anything about that either.
Actions speak louder than words, and this is one of Sakurai's strongest trends in character selection. It's remarkable that people overlook it so easily.

D

Deleted member

Huh. Micaiah is DLC before Ike is.
What kind of twisted world do we live in?
Also, apparently, you need Marth to unlock her map and Roy's map.

EDIT:
So bear with me, I'm going to make a little crackpot idea.
What if...Ike WAS replaced by Krom, while Krom takes near everything from Ike except Eruption, as Roy returns with Flare Blade. Krom gets a new move in place of Eruption.
Then Micaiah comes in as another Newcomer, to represent Tellius (even if Ike represented it better)?

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Huh. Micaiah is DLC before Ike is.
What kind of twisted world do we live in?
Also, apparently, you need Marth to unlock her map and Roy's map.

EDIT:
So bear with me, I'm going to make a little crackpot idea.
What if...Ike WAS replaced by Krom, while Krom takes near everything from Ike except Eruption, as Roy returns with Flare Blade. Krom gets a new move in place of Eruption.
Then Micaiah comes in as another Newcomer, to represent Tellius (even if Ike represented it better)?
Soviet russia.
And since i never followed what happened in fire emblem,i don't get what this one is about.

EDIT:
Alt.

D

Deleted member

Ohshi-
I didn't even notice that that was her bare skin around the chest area when I first looked at the picture.

What have they done?

D

Deleted member

inb4 "she's relevant, so therefore, she's likely."

God I hate the bolded word so much. I don't look forward to the likely Lyn DLC announcement.
It goes worse than relevancy:
1. Like Roy, you need Marth to unlock her.
2. Like Roy, she's part of the Spirit Talisman tale.
3. Like Roy, she was a highly requested character (and still is for Japan; they didn't go in the "female cycle' that Chrono mentioned. To this day, Micaiah is still the most requested female there).

Expect a larger Micaiah movement than anything else...and not even Lyn can stop it.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Actions speak louder than words, and this is one of Sakurai's strongest trends in character selection. It's remarkable that people overlook it so easily.
Yeah, but that is implying the actions indeed speak that they only add franchises under those circumstances. My point was that unless mentioned via words, it is only noticing a trend as you put it. Still think what you say is important, but going by interpreting things isn't something I'd find reliable. The way Smashchu summed it up is pretty good, the well is running somewhat dry, and using the criteria that Sakurai mentioned looks like the best way to get the most and best content, as opposed to hitting the big bases that have already been covered. Of which, we have no more.

That partially explains my obsession for seeking character potential more than any other factor.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Expect a larger Micaiah movement than anything else...and not even Lyn can stop it.
I still expect there to be more supporters for Lyn than Micaiah for Smash 4. However, most of the support will probably go to Lucina. Anna will be a distant second, followed by Lyn.

In Japan though, I think Micaiah will probably still be the most wanted female Fire Emblem character, but Lucina might be competitive with her, though they seem to recognize she is basically a gender swap version of Marth.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Should've mentioned that this is the difference between a first title's release date and the finalization of a roster, so 2 years for Xenoblade.

Had to double check: Pokemon was actually about 2-3 years old, but we really shouldn't be comparing Xenoblade to a cultural phenomenon. Next youngest was Pikmin at 4 years, then Star Fox at 5, Kirby at 6. At the very least, these games all had sequels and had more going for them than "strong critical reception."

Not saying this is a hard rule Sakurai definitely follows, but that's one hell of a trend. It's even stronger than the in-house trend you keep bringing up as a point against other series, and as a bonus, it mostly applies to the existing series newcomers as well.
I wouldn't call it a trend at all. Of all the series in Smash, over half were before 1990 with 6 more coming before 1996. The only series that came after 1996 were Pokemon and Pikmin. This is really the first time we have come to a young series maybe getting into Smash. And as you said, Pokemon tread the same line. Given, I guess you could say Pikmin.

I don't think it's Sakurai choosing time tested series but most of Nintendo's series are old.

I think its safe to say that all of the lords are going to be DLC for FE13. In a way all of the lords are now relevant. :troll:
You know, as time has been going on and I've been thinking about characters and that jazz, I'm really starting to think they'll add another FE character, Sakurai is a fanboy and people love FE characters so it makes sense. But here we have FE13 and it decides it wants to put every lord in ever. I was think "Hey, maybe Leaf. He looks cool and can use all the weapons." But NOPE, now we have Micaiah and some green hair chick (who is she. No, I'm serious, who is that suppose to be?). Basically, every lord is fair game. To think, everyone will still say Krom.

But, really, who is the green haired chick?

D

Deleted member

Is it just me, or does Micaiah's (that's how you say it, right) head look weird compared to the rest of the body?
Everything looks wierd about her.
Especially at the fact that she's less conservative in the way she dresses, and apparently filled out since we last saw her.
Oh, and if I want to get really nitpicky, the eyes are just off to me...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Just give Marth a Mask as an Alt. Costume. Lucina is in Smash.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wow. There is nothing intresting going on except for making fun of Plokoon's roster. Oh, yeah, why would there be less charcters than in Brawl, there will be 60 at most. oh yeah, and Poo is for a physically oriented Mother character. Him or Teddy or Duster. One of the three.
60 characters likely won't happen. If anything, the roster will probably range between 45-55 characters (excluding transformations). Still, it never hurts to think about if 60 characters does happen.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Just give Marth a Mask as an Alt. Costume. Lucina is in Smash.
Lucina also has the voice of a woman, whereas Marth has a clearly male voice (though that has not stopped some people from questioning Marth's gender before). I do think that Marth will be given a mask as part of one of his pallette swaps though.

But, really, who is the green haired chick?
That is Alm. Alm is not a woman. He is one of the two lords from Fire Emblem Gaiden (FE2).

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
http://wii.ign.com/articles/122/1223770p1.html

dunno if it's been posted here but here it is...
Sakurai, as well as Nintendo global president Satoru Iwata, had previously acknowledged his interest in linking the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game, which were announced simultaneously at E3 2011. "I'm really just getting started on this so it's going to take time, but I'll come up with something that uses that link as the game's central axis, so I hope you're looking forward to it."
This line has me worried.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Anyone thinking we could see similar amount of brutality in the Fire Emblem war as we did in Brawl? FE13 seems to be a recipe for it.

I'm going to wait out since the only realistic choices are goods ones, so I'm bound to be satisfied with what Sakurai goes with.
SmashChu said:
But here we have FE13 and it decides it wants to put every lord in ever. I was think "Hey, maybe Leaf. He looks cool and can use all the weapons." But NOPE, now we have Micaiah and some green hair chick.
It's disappointing that almost no one wants to see Leaf in Smash. He would be a fantastic character and being of the Master Class opens up to so many possibility. This makes him my most wanted Fire Emblem character and I feel he is a great choice for a Fire Emblem newcomer.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Roy and Krom and feel they are good choices worthy of inclusion, but I'd much prefer Leaf over them and even Ike.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Anyone thinking we could see similar amount of brutality in the Fire Emblem war as we did in Brawl? FE13 seems to be a recipe for it.

I'm going to wait out since the only realistic choices are goods ones, so I'm bound to be satisfied with what Sakurai goes with.
I think the only realistic FE characters that could get into SSB4 are Marth, Ike, Krom, and Roy. As cool as it would be to see Leaf, (or any other Lord for that matter, they're all fairly cool) I think they have very little actual chance, even if they have a strong minority vocal support.

I'd love to be proven wrong though, as I feel some of the other lords would lend themselves to a more unique moveset than the 4 most likely.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
On the topic of Leaf, in FE13 his class is thief/trickster. The funny thing about this is that among Japanese Fire Emblem fans, there is a running joke about Leaf that he is the "Lord of Thieves" or "Thief Lord" since much of his army consists of brigands, steals equipment from enemy soldiers, and spends much of the game running away.

The funnier thing is that I had also suggested Anna as a possible Master Knight (I was the one to come up with the idea of Anna), but when she finally made a playable appearance, she turned out to be a thief/trickster. Looks like Leaf turned out the same way.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Looks like Micaiah and Alm are the next two lords to be DLC. Looks like they sexualized Micaiah quite a bit, and made her a dark mage.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/dlc/dlc_0502.html#dlc0502a
Seems I was right on Alm getting the biggest revamp, he doesn't look anything like he did in the old artwork except for the green hair. It's a shame Celica didn't get one either. I'm really suprised that you unlock a new character class when you recruit him. I wonder if you get another Falchion when you recruit him. lol

Micaiah looks like she came from a shoujo manga. She's really creepy with those big eyes...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
FE Dream roster:

Marth (As is)
Caeda (Lance user, most moves based on rushing the opponent, lancing them)
Ike (As is? I guess)
Micaiah (Healer/Defensive. Weaker KO ability, but moves that help put up a good defense, and healing moves)

She's a healer in her game right?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Look what picture Sakurai posted on his twitter:

Bandanna Dee for Smash 4 confirmed. :troll:

Seriously, I think this might mean that Sakurai could be aware that Bandanna Dee has been promoted to a major character in the series.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Look what picture Sakurai posted on his twitter:
Bandanna Dee for Smash 4 confirmed. :troll:

Seriously, I think this might mean that Sakurai could be aware that Bandanna Dee has been promoted to a major character in the series.
Well at the very least, we KNOW Sakurai KNOWS Bandana Dee.

I always figured there has been a "main four" in the Kirby games. Just Meta Knight replaced Adeline, or Adeline replaced Meta Knight for one title. Don't know Kirby history, but there seems to be a lot of: Kirby, Important Dee, King Dedede, and Meta Knight.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There was also this picture on his twitter:

The picture is talking about a special AR card promotion for Uprising, but it shows Palutena fighting.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Bandanna Dee really has become a new major character lately indeed, might be not suprising if he made it.

My FE-roster? No ideas...

It would still suprise the **** out of me, just, it makes sense. If the Dee from K64 is Bandana dee... he's been around a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom