• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I guess I got caught along for the hype ride and well, yeah. :p I remember the backlash when it was leaked the roster was only 35.
I think this time things will be different. For Brawl, there was only 2 games to make a pattern from, and everyone knew Melee was a rushed game. Most people thought that, if they could get 26 characters in a short amount of time, then with Brawl's huge team and development time, anything is possible. Of course that wasn't the case, SO NOW I THINK EVERYONE HAS WISENED UP A BIT.

Although, it's just a matter of time until a trailer is released and Smashboards has 9,001 new members suggesting ridiculous rosters.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
OMG!! Don't get me started with Xenosaga, that's one of my favorite RPG's of all-time, the music was phenomenal, did Shinji really work on it?

I REALLY need to get Custom Robo 64 :(
I could be mistaken. But I thought Yasunori Mitsuda (of Chrono Trigger fame) composed Xenosaga soundtrack. :p

And that was one of the reasons why I wanted to play it. lol.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I think the problem with Fire Emblem having an antagonist is that there is no series antagonist in Fire Emblem. Kind of makes FE a special case. I guess if it had one, it could be Medeus, due to MARTH.
Well I can see where you're coming from since Marth is an established FE character.

But the same can be said about the protagonist as well, there is NO series protagonist as well, what does it mean? it means lords can be easily be switched and replaced just like Roy was, and just like Ike was added, the Black Knight could also be included, even better for him since there currently isn't an antagonist in Smash, of course this could all change if a new FE came out.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well I can see where you're coming from since Marth is an established FE character.

But the same can be said about the protagonist as well, there is NO series protagonist as well, what does it mean? it means lords can be easily be switched and replaced just like Roy was, and just like Ike was added, the Black Knight could also be included, even better for him since there currently isn't an antagonist in Smash, of course this could all change if a new FE came out.
It'd be hillarious if they added the Black Knight.

Then we could revisit the dream match... Sonic & The Black Knight.

D

Deleted member

I think this time things will be different. For Brawl, there was only 2 games to make a pattern from, and everyone knew Melee was a rushed game. Most people thought that, if they could get 26 characters in a short amount of time, then with Brawl's huge team and development time, anything is possible. Of course that wasn't the case, SO NOW I THINK EVERYONE HAS WISENED UP A BIT.

Although, it's just a matter of time until a trailer is released and Smashboards has 9,001 new members suggesting ridiculous rosters.
I really doubt that. We have to remember that the Wii-U can handle up to 25 GB in a single layer. The only people who are going to wise up are people with experience from being disappointed of Brawl's roster and realize that lowering their expectations is a must. Most everyone else is going to assume that we're definitely getting a 50+ character slot roster because of how much the Wii-U's disc can handle. When the final roster is revealed to be around 44-49 slots (Which I predict), we can expect as much if not more backlash then Brawl got. I can understand expecting 40-49 slots and being disappointed that it got 34-44 slots instead, but people who expect at least 50 will be up for a rude awakening.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I could be mistaken. But I thought Yasunori Mitsuda (of Chrono Trigger fame) composed Xenosaga soundtrack. :p

And that was one of the reasons why I wanted to play it. lol.
Hmm..that's what I though as well, but according to thispost I guess he does.

Well see it depends, are you wanting Shinji Hosoe on his own or with his sound team SuperSweep/Arika? When he works with SuperSweep we get stuff like Custom Robo and Megaman Network Transmission; on his own he does Ridge Racer, Street Fighter EX, and Xenosaga II. Technically, we should be thanking these two people. Ayako Saso and Yousuke Yasui. Those two are the common denominator between the Custom Robo 64 series and Megaman Network Transmission, which might explain the similar sound between them.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
That's the thing, Brawl came out years ago and it'll be even longer before Smash4 is close to being released. Like I said earlier, I highly doubt we're going to get that many new characters this time - one because I don't think it's fair to add many more slots for already represented series when many other franchises deserve it, two because if the 3DS is really a limitation then... well yeah. Also I think it's kind of dumb to add more than 5 reps per series, but that's just my opinion. I'm only expecting Paper Mario (LoZ got toon link, so...), K.Rool and Ridley and the rest being stuff that wasn't in Smash before, like Takamaru. Ike or Marth could get replaced, along with Lucario.
So yeah, my personal bet is 42.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Long as the Sonic music that you guys choose aren't from the new games and was like Sonic's Color's main theme I'm okay. A good song is a good song, but talking about the same **** over and over gets annoying.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Mario: Mario,Luigi,Bowser,Peach,Bowser Jr.
Wario Ware: Wario,
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi
Legend of Zelda: Link,Zelda,Ganondorf,Toon Link,Tingle
Donkey Kong Country: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K Rool
Metroid: Samus,Ridley
Kirby: Kirby,Meta Knight, King Dedede
Kid Icarus: Pit,Magnus
Pokemon: Pikachu, PKMN Trainer, Jigglypuff, Zoroark,Meowth
Starfox: Fox,Falco,Wolf
Retro: Ice Climbers, Duckhunt Dog, Mr.Game and Watch, Rob
Fire Emblem: Marth, Ike
Golden Sun: Issac
Sin Punishment: Saki
Punchout: Little Mac
Fzero: Cpt. Falcon, Samurai Goroh
Other: Megaman, Sonic,Snake, Travis Touchdown, Snake

* So 48 Characters including Zero Suit Samus and Sheik.

So I believe we had 35 characters in Brawl so we'd be receiving 13 new characters.( Travis, Megaman, Duckhunt Dog, and Tingle would all be new secret characters.)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I like how the Duck Hunt Dog is now considered a serious retro character, unlike last time which was on par with a Tetris block for joke character. :p

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I guess, idk anything about it LOL

Oh yeah, practice went really well today, I know what I need to work on so I'm expecting to see results of getting better in the next week or two.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
Oooookkk....I thought SSB was about Nintendo All-Stars battling it out in the fray,not chicken **** third party ****ies running around slaping their ****s together. :glare: Im all for the TP but the amount you guys are suggesting....I wouldn't take that ****.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I like how the Duck Hunt Dog is now considered a serious retro character, unlike last time which was on par with a Tetris block for joke character. :p
I think it is because at this point we have learned anything can become a fighter. I mean seriously, who would have honestly thought Ivysaur would actually work?

Though not Nintendo, look at Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. You have Amaterasu, MODOK, and Shuma Gorath. Probably three of the most unconventional and bizarre fighters in that entire series.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think it is because at this point we have learned anything can become a fighter. I mean seriously, who would have honestly thought Ivysaur would actually work?

Though not Nintendo, look at Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. You have Amaterasu, MODOK, and Shuma Gorath. Probably three of the most unconventional and bizarre fighters in that entire series.
What about Pikachu since the N64? :p

He's no different from Duck Hunt Dog in the sense that he can run in all fours, and walk on two legs. Oh well, I guess after ROB, and Ivysaur, there really are no boundaries to the weirdness of a character for getting in.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration

He's no different from Duck Hunt Dog in the sense that he can run in all fours, and walk on two legs. Oh well, I guess after ROB, and Ivysaur, there really are no boundaries to the weirdness of a character for getting in.
Not quiet.Mario is weird to begin with and idk how they made Olimar a good movest. I thought the Pikmin themselves would fight......lol,Im lieing. I didnt know **** about SSBB until it came out,but I knew about Smash Bros.(Was my favorite childhood game) :awesome:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

True, I guess when you look at the Smash series as a whole most all of the characters are doing more than they would in their own respective games. Examples being Captain Falcon, Ness, Lucas, Fox, Wolf, Falco, Ice Climbers, all of the Pokémon, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B, and Pit. Every other character does to some degree too, but not as much as they.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Well, Fire Emblem could have 2-3 characters and everyone would pretty well say it's fair. It's kind of on that thresh-hold. They've had two reps for two games straight... So... up in the air.

I really wouldn't pick Medeus over Black Knight though. Medeus would look and feel a lot too much like Ganondorf for one. While the Black Knight has a very sharp visual design and had a major antagonist role in two FE games.

It's also speculated that the Ike FE series will be getting another game, and as such, it makes a lot of sense to pull another character from that.

But Lyn is also a well liked choice, from the first international game, and was an Assist Trophy...

I'd pin it at Lyn if they wanted to get a new Lord from a game, and Black Knight if they wanted a more unique character and villain...

I REALLY doubt Caeda though. She isn't as recent like Ike, and isn't the quintessential like Marth. Also isn't all that popular.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
People have, but he's not really very popular. I think it's because his game was over shadowed by FE7 with Eliwood, Hector, and Lyndis. So, noone really paid attention to it.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm Surprised no one has suggested Ephraim for SSBU
I have, but sadly his chances are slim at best. His game, as said before, was over shadowed by The Blazing Sword. Additionally many people simply did not receive the title very well, despite having the first lance lord.

Unrelated, I purchased Sin And Punishment: Star Successor today [$19.99 for a new copy!]. So I'm playing through the game, expect me to feel inspired to create a new stage concept in the next couple of days. Might even download the original Sin and Punishment after I complete S&P:SS, that way I become even more familiar with the material. lol

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I really wouldn't pick Medeus over Black Knight though. Medeus would look and feel a lot too much like Ganondorf for one. While the Black Knight has a very sharp visual design and had a major antagonist role in two FE games.
I don't think Medeus will ever get in, but what? Medeus has nothing to do with Ganondorf's Falcon moveset. The guy doesn't physically fight in his human form. He transforms into a dragon. That being said, if you have complaints about him being to similar to Ganondorf, then what about the fact that the Black Knight has virtually the same weapon as Ike, as well as the same mentor, and thus is obligated to be a clone of the guy?

It's also speculated that the Ike FE series will be getting another game, and as such, it makes a lot of sense to pull another character from that.
Its not really speculated that much, and if it were the case, Micaiah, being the star of FE10, would be the top pick.

I REALLY doubt Caeda though. She isn't as recent like Ike, and isn't the quintessential like Marth. Also isn't all that popular.
The Black Knight isn't popular, nor is he unique. Given FE's status right now though, she, as well as any other character from FE1/3, are recent. Being in a total of four games, the two of which being the latest installments of the series, really puts basically any major character from those games in the front spots.

EDIT: Oh yeah, @Star, if you do get the original Sin & Punishment, the battle over the Sea of Japan would make one of the most awesome stages ever. :V

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
EDIT: Oh yeah, @Star, if you do get the original Sin & Punishment, the battle over the Sea of Japan would make one of the most awesome stages ever. :V
I'll check that out in time.

So far I'm at the end of Stage 2 in S&P:SS, I've already died a total of 6-7 times... This is just normal mode so I'd hate to see what hard is like. But I like the difficulty, it is nice having a game that is truly challenging. Listening to the music though makes me want a Sin and Punishment stage more and more. Something along the lines of the post-apocalyptic/grunge design. Although I cannot say if I really like Isa as a character? Even never having played the original title I still prefer Saki.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I'll check that out in time.

So far I'm at the end of Stage 2 in S&P:SS, I've already died a total of 6-7 times... This is just normal mode so I'd hate to see what hard is like. But I like the difficulty, it is nice having a game that is truly challenging. Listening to the music though makes me want a Sin and Punishment stage more and more. Something along the lines of the post-apocalyptic/grunge design. Although I cannot say if I really like Isa as a character? Even never having played the original title I still prefer Saki.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaIVxrPngJE&feature=related

This is the area that Pieman is talking about. That's actually one of the ones I was going to do :p

Isa is alright, Saki and Airan are the classics tho. Treasure needs to make more videogames, they've already made some of the best games ever. I'm actually surprised by how good S&P 2 is considering Nintendo's more recent flops at making/producing new games in their franchises.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaIVxrPngJE&feature=related

This is the area that Pieman is talking about. That's actually one of the ones I was going to do :p

Isa is alright, Saki and Airan are the classics tho. Treasure needs to make more videogames, they've already made some of the best games ever. I'm actually surprised by how good S&P 2 is considering Nintendo's more recent flops at making/producing new games in their franchises.
Wow, I'll have to agree with you two. That would make for a great stage. Though I'll wait until I experience it for myself before I come to a definitive conclusion on what concept I'll want to go with.

Sin And Punishment was such an odd title from which to see a sequel. The only exposure I ever had to the series was due to Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Had it not been because of that DOJO update I would never have even guessed something named "Sin and Punishment" would even BE a licensed Nintendo property.

There are two series I believe Nintendo had a chance of making successful but failed to capitalize on, those are Custom Robo and The Legendary Starfy. Sorry, I need to add Murasame Castle to that list, so actually it will be three series.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The battle over the sea of japan is perhaps the longest stage in the game.

But it's really worth it just for the visuals.

Sin & Punishment is so awesome, I can't say which one is better. They're both so good gameplay wise, I won't even dwell in graphics.

Stage wise, I'd love to fight in the city, in the Sea area, in Yokohama, or from the second game, the water tunnel, Mt.Fuji, or the plain first level with the insane raids.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I'm excited for all the potentially new deserving franchise characters that could make it into four... They can all be so fantastic.

Tom Nook- Animal Crossing
Starfy- Legend of Starfy
Ray- Custom Robo
Andy- Advance Wars
Saki- Sin & Punishment
Isaac- Golden Sun
Little Mac- Punch-Out

Not even to mention some possible retros
Laughing Dog- Duck Hunt
Takamaru- The Mysterious Murasame Castle
Sukapon- Joy Mech Flight
Mike Jones- Star Tropics.
etc ,etc....

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm excited for all the potentially new deserving franchise characters that could make it into four... They can all be so fantastic.

Starfy- Legend of Starfy
Ray- Custom Robo
Andy- Advance Wars
Saki- Sin & Punishment
Isaac- Golden Sun
Little Mac- Punch-Out

Laughing Dog- Duck Hunt
Sukapon- Joy Mech Flight

etc ,etc....
YESH!! More Duck Hunt love! :D

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
There are two series I believe Nintendo had a chance of making successful but failed to capitalize on, those are Custom Robo and The Legendary Starfy. Sorry, I need to add Murasame Castle to that list, so actually it will be three series.
It's weird, Starfy was HUGE until the recent game. It didn't do terrible per se, but Starfy seemed like the next big series for Nintendo but they kind of just stopped caring it seems.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Starfy- Legend of Starfy
Ray- Custom Robo
Andy- Advance Wars
Saki- Sin & Punishment
Isaac- Golden Sun
Little Mac- Punch-Out

Laughing Dog- Duck Hunt
Sukapon- Joy Mech Flight

etc ,etc....
I don't believe Sakurai will change his stance on Animal Crossing characters. So I wouldn't expect him.

Sadly I don't expect an Advance Wars character either, no matter how much I want Will, Solid Snake kind of covers the soldier motif. If Snake were not to return I could see Sakurai not wanting to waste a good moveset; tweaks it to fit a Wars character so as to have a, using the word loosely, quick character addition.

This might be shocking to say but I feel Saki Amamiya has the best chance out of all of these characters at being playable. There has always been this funny feeling I've had that out of all of the Assist Trophies in the game he was the farthest along in consideration. His model is detailed to the point of almost being on par with the playable characters. His movements are very "playable"-esque, have no other term to use. Plus Sakurai enjoyed pointing out and teasing how much he looked like a playable character, even initially mentioning how popular a choice he was (for Japan). Regardless of how Star Succesor may have performed, the fact that the series is relevant and active (as of now) worldwide is enough precedent to have a Sin and Punishment character. So my gut tells me Sakurai will be revisiting Saki Amamiya.

Starfy is an active series with 5 games under its helm and more to come. He has enough reason to be playable. Only thing stopping him is if Sakurai truly does harbor some form of spite for the character. But I believe the people saying that are being petty. Sakurai was humble enough to not include his own characters for two games, I believe the opposite is true too. If anything I think Sakurai was simply playing along with the "Kirby/Starfy" rivalry.

Little Mac is expected, a popular retro character with a recent installment and potentially another title in the future. Not the most exciting choice for me, but I don't discount him.

Isaac's only issue is if they would choose his son over him?

I want Ray badly, but out of all the characters he fares the worst. There is no telling if this series is even active or not? The last game we saw was at the beginning of the DS's life span, an entire generation ago. Between this series and F-Zero, Nintendo needs to resurrect them for the Wii U so as to bring some diversity to the next console.

Takamaru definitely has received a better shot due to his appearance in Samurai Warriors 3. Super Smash Bros would definitely do well to have an eastern style sword fighter.

There is very little I know of Sukapon, but why not? He'd be a great shock character. Sure not to us, but how many non-forum gamers such as ourselves will even know who he is? Only thing holding him back are those rumoured technical issues they had testing him in the past.

I'm neutral on Duck Hunt Dog. Don't see the push for him but I'm not against him.

It's weird, Starfy was HUGE until the recent game. It didn't do terrible per se, but Starfy seemed like the next big series for Nintendo but they kind of just stopped caring it seems.
Supposedly there is a potential console game coming in the future, so, I can't really see Nintendo pulling him back now.

I actually wish I owned/could access a DS.

The Legend of Starfy Final Boss

This type music, I live there.
If you want to hear more music just visit my old Starfy stage concept. http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12904106&postcount=13

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I have to really advocate for Ray to make it into Smash 4. Basically, an appearance in Smash means a franchise revival. It crosses the threshhold from the rabble of games to the elite. Custom Robo deserves that.

It's interesting that the ones who are probably most likely to get in probably don't deserve it as much.

Saki has had two games, one Japan only.

Custom Robo and Nintendo Wars are long running series' which are well received and ongoing...

EDIT- Also forgot about Chibi-Robo in my prior list but uh... I doubt it.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I have to really advocate for Ray to make it into Smash 4. Basically, an appearance in Smash means a franchise revival. It crosses the threshhold from the rabble of games to the elite. Custom Robo deserves that.

It's interesting that the ones who are probably most likely to get in probably don't deserve it as much.

Saki has had two games, one Japan only.

Custom Robo and Nintendo Wars are long running series' which are well received and ongoing...
True, but in this case it is due to Sakurai's pimping him.

Ehh, Custom Robo isn't THAT long running. At least not when compared to the other series next to it. The thing hurting Ray (any model) in my mind is that uncertainty of whether the series is even still active or dormant? It is this exact same issue that prevents me from expecting or even speculating upon another F-Zero character. The thing with Nintendo Wars is simply my opinion, trust me, I'd love to be wrong. I just feel Snake will cover out soldier motif. Plus, another thing to remember, is Advance Wars: Days of Ruin was never released in Japan. Will that affect things? Yes it does. Regardless of how much they try, they only know about something if it can be experienced within the borders of Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom