• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
According to some sources (Metroid-manga, Other M), Samus suffers from PSD (posttraumatic stress disorder).Which is why she froze upon seeing Ridley in Other M.
(-'-'-)
PSD is something not to take very lightly: even today the people who fought in Vietnam War are still suffering from it.

Saying Samus was whiny in Other M is bit of bull****.I mean, in the manga Ridley killed her parents right in front of her face, and even if Zebes blew up, Ridley came back. Yet she isn't allowed to lose it after all that because "it ruins her reputation" and because she should be knowing that purple reptile of doom always comes back. Sounds quite tragic even, to never be able to get rid of your enemy behind your parents death. God.

I think you're misunderstanding her true nature now Smashchu. She's a human still despite having good control over her feelings, and Chozo blood can't prevent her having strong and emotional breakdowns.

Kolorado

Smash Apprentice
Ummm, what's not to say she never expected him to come back. Heck, you killed him the first time and you assume he wont come back. He always comes back. He came back in Prime (where you clearly see him fly over the space station), you fighting him twice in Prime 3 and see him again on Zebes before it blows up. She has fought the sdame guy 5 times. 5 TIMES. Why is she crying at time 6 when she damn well knows that he has a tendency to come back.
I don't know. I think if I had killed someone 5 times before, by the 6th time I would start crying out of pure frustration. :)

Kolorado

Smash Apprentice
According to some sources (Metroid-manga, Other M), Samus suffers from PSD (posttraumatic stress disorder).Which is why she froze upon seeing Ridley in Other M.
(-'-'-)
PSD is something not to take very lightly: even today the people who fought in Vietnam War are still suffering from it.

Saying Samus was whiny in Other M is bit of bull****.I mean, in the manga Ridley killed her parents right in front of her face, and even if Zebes blew up, Ridley came back. Yet she isn't allowed to lose it after all that because "it ruins her reputation" and because she should be knowing that purple reptile of doom always comes back. Sounds quite tragic even, to never be able to get rid of your enemy behind your parents death. God.

I think you're misunderstanding her true nature now Smashchu. She's a human still despite having good control over her feelings, and Chozo blood can't prevent her having strong and emotional breakdowns.
Actually it's PTSD, but yes it is very real and there are still survivors from World War II that are suffering it. And if hardend soilders who brought down Hitler can suffer from it, then why not Samus?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Actually it's PTSD, but yes it is very real and there are still survivors from World War II that are suffering it. And if hardend soilders who brought down Hitler can suffer from it, then why not Samus?
(-'-'-)

Are you guys really this dumb. No seriously, let's use our heads here.

How can she have PTSD when she A)Killed the enemy she was crying over 5 times before B)She blew up a planet C)Whipped out an entire species and D)Has done numerous dangerous things over the course of her life. She was in 6 deadly missions before going to the bottle ship.

The PTSD excuse doesn't cut it and never has.

Also, you people understand that characterization is more than talking right?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
PTSD? What's that?

Anthony should've been the main character in Other M :/ then the M could stand for Other MANthony :awesome:

:phone:

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Ummmm... PTSD doesn't go away/not happen just because you killed your enemy or experienced more stressful things. It's not a matter of opinion or perception; these are facts.

Samus could've very well been flipping out inside her suit when she fought Ridley prior to Other M, but we couldn't hear her.

She's been through a lot, and that gives her a license to be a bit melodramatic at times, it doesn't make her immune to expressing emotion.

And speech may not be the only aspect of characterization, but it is the most in-depth. Think about how deep Link is as a character. He's basically the cliché hero because he hasn't been given a speaking role to flesh out his personality. All we've got from him without words is the brave, valiant blah blah blah.

Samus being called whiny or otherwise because she acted like a human being is stupid. She can still be a hardened bounty hunter.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Pallette swaps for Peach should be Daisy, Rosalina, and Penelope (from the original donkey kong)
I think you mean Pauline. ;) I have to agree that these characters would be nice to be represented as Peach's alternate costumes.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Ummmm... PTSD doesn't go away just because you killed your enemy or experienced more stressful things. It's not a matter of opinion or perception; these are facts.

Samus could've very well been flipping out inside her suit when she fought Ridley prior to Other M, but we couldn't hear her.

She's been through a lot, and that gives her a license to be a bit melodramatic at times, it doesn't make her immune to expressing emotion.

Samus being called whiny or otherwise because she acted like a human being is stupid. She can still be a hardened bounty hunter.

Seeing as it never happened in 6 other games, I don't think it should be happening now.

What's more alarming is why are you all defending the bad story. Go read the article someone posted already.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Maybe some people liked the story. Maybe it's a matter of opinion, and nothing you or a self-important article writer can say that will change the fact that Sakamoto saw fit to take Samus's character in this direction, and that some like it and are content with it.

It's good to me because I liked it. I like other things that other people also like, so perhaps I have something of a baseline for my taste in videogames. But at the end of the day, I don't give a sh*t if you think it's bad.

Because I think it's good.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yall sassy a** b*tches. When did this happen?

Im usually the only sassy a**.

Queens.

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
Maybe some people liked the story. Maybe it's a matter of opinion, and nothing you or a self-important article writer can say that will change the fact that Sakamoto saw fit to take Samus's character in this direction, and that some like it and are content with it.

It's good to me because I liked it. I like other things that other people also like, so perhaps I have something of a baseline for my taste in videogames. But at the end of the day, I don't give a sh*t if you think it's bad.

Because I think it's good.

In other words, you didn't read any of it because the truth is a right ***** to swallow and you're going to cover your ears and scream "LA LA LA" to anyone, because it's our "opinion" but yours should be treated as "fact".

You're going to go far in politics.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And yours shouldn't be treated as fact either.

His opinion counts just as much as yours. None of what you said is Truth either.

Everybody has a right to like things, even if others don't. Seriously, step off, man. You're attacking him because you don't like his opinion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
PolitriKKKs don't work.

Anthony wouldn't approve of them.

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
And yours shouldn't be treated as fact either.

His opinion counts just as much as yours. None of what you said is Truth either.

Everybody has a right to like things, even if others don't. Seriously, step off, man. You're attacking him because you don't like his opinion.
Except I didn't say my opinion was fact -- it's just that mine has harder evidence as to why Other M has a shoddy cookie-cutter story.

PolitriKKKs don't work.

Anthony wouldn't approve of them.

And Adam wouldn't authorize them. :troll:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yours is not any "real" evidence either. It's just more opinions that you don't like it. Hard evidence would presume it's a fact, not another opinion.

You're still attacking the person. Just respect his opinion. He's not even attacking you. So seriously, just leave it be.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I today realised I want them both in badly yes ^^

Impa and Anthony 4 Smash baby!

You know you'd main them.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I gotta get to play Other M. I just am not a fan of motion controls, so those games get played last. :p

I have a feeling I'd agree on the Anthony part, truthfully.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
In other words, you didn't read any of it because the truth is a right ***** to swallow and you're going to cover your ears and scream "LA LA LA" to anyone, because it's our "opinion" but yours should be treated as "fact".

You're going to go far in politics.
I like StarFox Assault. Suck it.

That's all he's saying.

Also, **** Dr. Eggman. If Sonic got another character, it wouldn't be him.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I love that site. It's the only site with a picture of Krystal the way I want her to be in Smash.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Ahh, I was wondering what was going on with all of those character pics I was finding. I just knew they were being used for some sort of project.

D

Deleted member

Typically, all 64 and Melee veterans that were in Brawl have 100% on that site. Yes Diddy, even Sheik. :troll:.
Seems that Japan doesn't share your viewpoint on her being "likely" to get cut.

As for the Other M issue, for once, I agree 100% with Kuma. Just because she hasn't shown anything in previous titles doesn't mean she is a "female Boba Fett" as SmashChu put it. After all, the canon (as confirmed by Nintendo) e-manga had her freaking out when she saw Ridley as well.
And think of it this way, the only time Ridley has actually "died" was Super Metroid when Zebes was blown up. Other times, Samus merely kicked his ***. Other M takes place after Ridley was supposed to be dead for good, and out of nowhere, BAM! There he is (or rather, an unplanned clone of him) again!

payasofobia

Smash Champion
kinda neat fansite I came across

http://ikusaba.client.jp/character/index.htm

any good translators here? and for somereason Rosalina's Japanese name makes me wanna listen to Rosetta Stoned....

Don't get your hopes up. At all. It is a fan-site made to...convince Sakurai to add the characters they have there. It's pretty much a wish-list. They are doing what we do here, plus more art.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
They're doing better things than us.

ALSO, I AM DOING ROSTER CRITIQUES AGAIN. This time, MORE IN DEPTH, so, if you wanna play my game, sign up.

YES. The Tier list will be back, but I'm starting over.

LASTLY, if you do give me your roster, make sure you tell me if you want the list to be Brawl styled, or Melee styled in terms of how the slots are arranged.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I gotta get to play Other M. I just am not a fan of motion controls, so those games get played last. :p

I have a feeling I'd agree on the Anthony part, truthfully.
You play it with the WiiMote side ways. I like the controls better than those we had in Skyward Sword to be frank.

SITTIN' SIDE WAYZ
BOYZ IN DA HAZE

harpuia190

Smash Ace
I bought Other-M today, I come online to see the discussion, and this is what I see, Incredible

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Lol, the site is also predicting stages and they have their own music list.

"Waits for Star/Luco to come and critique their choices"

payasofobia

Smash Champion
They're doing better things than us.

ALSO, I AM DOING ROSTER CRITIQUES AGAIN. This time, MORE IN DEPTH, so, if you wanna play my game, sign up.

YES. The Tier list will be back, but I'm starting over.

LASTLY, if you do give me your roster, make sure you tell me if you want the list to be Brawl styled, or Melee styled in terms of how the slots are arranged.
I would post mine, but my list has everything everyone ever suggested. From Ridley to Krystal to Mach Rider to Black Shadow to Little Mac.

So you might as well critique those.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You play it with the WiiMote side ways. I like the controls better than those we had in Skyward Sword to be frank.

SITTIN' SIDE WAYZ
BOYZ IN DA HAZE
...How much of the Wii Remote is utilized that matters? In other words, is there any use of it specifically? Any motion whatsoever? Because I'm very iffy on starting it if there's no use for having a Wii Remote that a GameCube Controller wouldn't do the exact same thing.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Super Metroid was the best what I've read. Haven't completed it myself though.

But I like Zero Mission.
Super Metroid is like a hard, faster, more intense Zero Mission.

I agree Super Metroid is the best in the franchise.
My list goes: Super Metroid > Prime > Prime 3 > Fusion > Prime 2 > Metroid > Zero Mission > *classic status* > Prime Hunters > Metroid II > *great game status* > Other M.
Seeing as it never happened in 6 other games, I don't think it should be happening now.

What's more alarming is why are you all defending the bad story. Go read the article someone posted already.
Exactly. Unless Samus panics in the other games, she shouldn't suddenly do it in Other M. That's just silly. Plus the game wasn't even made Nintendo. It was made by Team Ninja, who always make women either have breasts the size of an average person's torso, or they make them totally helpless. I really don't like Team Ninja at all. They make women totally one dimensional in all their games. I don't want to play a whiny b***h, and if I did, I would play the newer Final Tragedy games. I think most of us like Samus a BAMF bounty hunter. Did she have a sensative and personal side=??? Yes, but she wasn't whiny (I am referring to Zero Mission and Fusion). She came off as "honest" and simple.

Also, I don't really care what the manga says. The manga isn't canon at all.

I hope Sakurai didn't play Other M, because I don't want Samus to be a whiny little baby. In other words, I don't want Krystal in Smash... :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
...How much of the Wii Remote is utilized that matters? In other words, is there any use of it specifically? Any motion whatsoever? Because I'm very iffy on starting it if there's no use for having a Wii Remote that a GameCube Controller wouldn't do the exact same thing.
You basically play the whole game sideways. Only have to point to the screen to shoot missiles, which indeed, can feel sloppy at times.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
@asgae how many pokemon pictures and gifs have you made since the next game was revealed?
In gifs, I have 8 in all:

Kyurem running
Kyurem stepping on ice
Black Kyurem using Freeze Shock
"Let's End This" Kyurem
Keldeo getting a kickass closeup
Keldeo stepping on Ice
The Swordsmen facing off Kyurem
Kickass closeup of Kyurem

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Here's 2011's tier list:

Top Tier Roster Makers
1. Iblis 95%
2. StarPhoenix 93.5%
3. SuperSmashBrosFan 92%
4. JavaCroc 91%

Upper Tier Roster Makers.
5. Oasis 83%
6. Kantrip 82.5%

Lower Tier Roster Makers
7. Berserker 77%
8. Asage 76.5%
9. Steam 76%

Ganon Tier Roster Makers
10. Swayne 62%

Here is the UNPRETTYFIED version of my old roster crits (They will be more in-depth than this):
[COLLAPSE="Example"]Okay, let’s cut this cake.

Roster: Oasis, October 12, 2011

Mario Franchise: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario
- BAM. You got it right. This is a good choice in my opinion. You opted out of adding Toad, Junior, or that Paper fool. You did the right thing in my book. 5/5 in this category.
- I will make a note about Wario reps real quick though. I think with a roster like this, you could have gotten away with it. I feel a Yoshi pick, while interesting is a poor choice all around, but Mona, or Syrup could be pulled off.

Donkey Kong Franchise: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool
- Why not? You did well. I see no Cranky, and I see no Funky. I don’t see a Dixie either, but her and K. Rool are reall interchangeable IMO. You could have EITHER or both. You picked one over the other. Fine with me. 5/5 in my book.

LoZ Franchise: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link
- Your choice to not add a newcomer is probably a good one, although you could have done it properly, in my opinion. What this comes down to for ME, is how Ganondorf and Toon Link end up playing. Without a new character, I feel a few slight changes to these two would do good in both keeping the series feeling fresh, and furthering the two away from their clone counterparts. You didn’t specify on these characters… so I’m going to give you a 4/5 for them.

Kirby Franchise: Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight
- Good boy. 5/5

Fire Emblem Franchise: Marth, Chrome, Roy
- Oasis my boy, why would you choose Chrome, a character that we know nothing about over Ike, a perfectly good character, outside of IkeSama. Why sir? I like the redhead, he’s cute. AND FOR THAT, I’ll give you a 3.5/5
- Chrome: Until we see how he works, I want him to be a cautionary add… I don’t trust his BLUE HAIR.

Pokemon Franchise (Me FAVE): Pikachu, Jiggypuff, Pokemon Trainer Red, Mewtwo, Victini
- Oh you know how subjective these choices can be sir. The loss of Lucario, and the gain of Victini and Mewtwo… Good move. Straight move. Easy move. Too easy. Not shaken up enough. I almost wish we got Zoroark over Victini. His attitude, and the way he carries himself would have added more. Victini is too happy. Like everyone in the game. Zoro has SAS. Okay, you get a 3.5/5 for playing it safe, but doing it well.
Mother & Metroid: Ness, Lucas, Samus, Ridley
- Good choices. 10/10

F-Zero & StarFox: Falcon, Samurai Goroh, Fox, Falco, Wolf
- You did it right. Despite the lack of Krystal. 10/10

Smaller franchises: IC’s G&W, ROB, Olimar, Pit, Medusa, Shulk, Isaac, Mach Rider, Saki, Little Mac, Takamaru, Mii
- Kay, my problems are with the choice to add Takamaru, AND Goroh. Why would you add two Katana weilders when you had other options? You had the option to add someone who doesn’t even use a sword, but you chose to pick two Katana weilders. Something to think about. Black Shadow, and Tom Nook are sad.
- The rest clear with me. Mach and Med are good pics IMO, Saki, Little Mac, Shulk, Mii and Isaac are all sound as well. 8/10

Third Parties: Sonic, Snake, Megaman
- Good boy. Played it smart. 5/5

Overall appeal: GOOD ROSTER. I do think you fell down a little with Chrome and Takamaru though. Chrome is SO up in the air, and you just chose similar playing characters, when people would arguably be happier with Tom Nook. Victini is a decent choice, but I think Zoroark would have helped heal the Lucario fans, and would have been a “cooler” character in general.
[/COLLAPSE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom