• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just reflecting on a similar situations in the past. The past is a good point to look into for future insight.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There are also official polls from Japan that show Roy is the most popular character not only in his own game, but in the entire GBA Fire Emblem trilogy as a whole. There are also several unofficial polls that show Roy is one of the most popular characters from Melee, the most missed cut Melee veteran, and the most wanted Fire Emblem character for Smash 4.

With all of this in mind, why do Roy detractors continue to say, "Roy's game sold poorly and he is unpopular"?
Roy being clone is enough for most people to bring him down. If Roy wasn't a clone, nobody would be talking him down.

Although Fire Emblem games don't sell well to begin with. Then again, neither do F-Zero games that aren't the original, Star Fox games that aren't the original or it's remakes (and Adventures too, because it was a launch title for the Gamecube), or Ice Climber (who even bought it=???). Heck, it's not like Wario games sell spectacularly on a constant basis either.
I do not completely understand the desire for Roy. Marth is a good example of a finesse sword player from fire Emblem and Ike is a good example of a brutish sword player. Ike filled the role that Roy was suppose to have.
Part of it is just love for the perceived power people have when they play Roy. Play Roy in Melee, and you just feel awesome, even if Roy isn't all that strong.

The other part is that Roy in his game was awesome. He attacked fast with finesse, but with power (through awesome stabs). Just based off Roy's appearance he could easily be a fast attacking character with some power (his downside: more vulnerability after attacks than other "fast attacking" characters). He could still be unique if given the chance.
"Will be"?

I'm sorry, but which time machine did you use?
The one that gives you an a**l probe and turns you into a blue haired guy who is commonly mistaken for a woman! :chuckle:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Until Krom's game actually comes out, he is no threat to Roy.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I knew I'd see a Yu-Gi-Oh reference pop up in here sometime or later

Oh, and John YES, I would actually do that. Ridley 4 Smash, Ridley 4 Smash, Ridley 4 Smash... RIDLEY 4 SMASH!!!!!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ike is much, much more scrub aka casual friendly than Roy was anyway. Can't y'all see patterns...?

Melee had Marth and Roy. Roy was the most recent lord, or was to become the most recent lord. If Krom can't make it in cause "his game isn't out yet" when by the time of Smash's release it'll already be like 2 years old... How the hell could Roy even make it in then according to you?

Brawl had Marth and Ike. Ike was hugely popular, requested a lot and the most recent (and yes, popular) choice. He clearly beat out Roy popularity wise on an international level.

Why can't you guys see Roy is in the weakest position of all the suggested Fire Emblem lords..? :/

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash!

Can't we all agree that Marth looks as feminine as this, but that Krystal's personality is about as awesome as this video is logical. :cool: :chuckle: :laugh:
*on that last video if you don't like the opening, skip to like 80 seconds in*

Also Diddy Kong, you are acting like a know it all again... :embarrass:

Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash!

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
I knew I'd see a Yu-Gi-Oh reference pop up in here sometime or later

Oh, and John YES, I would actually do that. Ridley 4 Smash
I'd love to see Ridley in smash 4. Or
:troll:

I should stop before teh yugioh gets out of hand. Anyway yeah I think it would be great to see ridley make an appearance. And maybe if final smashes make a return he could become metaridley?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash!

Uh-Oh, the Yu-Gi-Oh references hasn't stopped at Dark Magician... :urg:

Besides, Ridley is way cooler than any of those weaker, less intelligent dragons from Yu-Gi-Oh. It's not like they have survived dozens of severe potential life ending injuries, or been revived from the dead several times... :awesome:

Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm not acting as a know it all. Just adding a realistic point of few again... :/

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958

Uh-Oh, the Yu-Gi-Oh references hasn't stopped at Dark Magician... :urg:

Besides, Ridley is way cooler than any of those weaker, less intelligent dragons from Yu-Gi-Oh. It's not like they have survived dozens of severe potential life ending injuries, or been revived from the dead several times... :awesome:

Haha they've been sent to the graveyard many a time, I'll tell you that. Also, Roy for smash.

I'm not acting as a know it all. Just adding a realistic point of few again... :/

D

Deleted member

METAH RIDLEH FER SMASH!

You are failing to see our point Diddy.

We're saying it's too early to judge Krom as of yet because his game isn't out yet. Not that he can't get in.

And again, if it was "Marth + latest Lord" for Melee, it would have been Marth and Leaf. No excuses. No "but Roy was going to be the latest Lord". Leaf would've been in before Roy, but no. Sakurai wanted to advertise for the upcoming game. By all intents and purposes, Roy didn't EXIST when Melee came out.

And Ike wasn't chosen just because he was the latest main character. Otherwise, we would've had Micaiah, who is a female that doesn't use a sword (which fans would be ALL over...)
Sakurai merely wanted a newER character. Meaning, a character that comes from a game after Roy's. Intelligent Systems gave him the suggestion of Ike. Note: SUGGESTION. Sakurai could've easily gone with someone else, like Eliwood, if he was so Hell-bent on replacing Roy as you make it out to be.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash!
C'mon people, JOIN ME!!!
That's what I mean. We all know the subject really well. By saying you are "Just adding a realistic point of few again" (I think you meant "view again") you are implying that our views aren't realistic. Ike starred in two Fire Emblem games, is a super strong guy (hint: casual people like extremes; super slow, super fast), and Path of Radiance sold very well. Since then, the Fire Emblem series hasn't been doing well at all in terms of sales (maybe the FE1 remake aside). Really, we are speculating something over a character whose' game hasn't come out yet! :laugh: Nothing is a "fact" yet regarding Krom. He could about as interesting as you constantly berating about a certain character for all we know. :glare: :chuckle: :smirk:

Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash!
Haha they've been sent to the graveyard many a time, I'll tell you that
With all the card bans, they probably will never return from the graveyard in an "official" duel.

Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! Ridley for Smash! JOIN MEE!!!

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
METAH RIDLEH FER SMASH!

You are failing to see our point Diddy.

We're saying it's too early to judge Krom as of yet because his game isn't out yet. Not that he can't get in.

And again, if it was "Marth + latest Lord" for Melee, it would have been Marth and Leaf. No excuses. No "but Roy was going to be the latest Lord". Leaf would've been in before Roy, but no. Sakurai wanted to advertise for the upcoming game. By all intents and purposes, Roy didn't EXIST when Melee came out.
True.... alright, more ROY argument! Roy and ridley for sm4sh....
I love where this thread's been going for the page few pages. Yeah I have high hopes for Roy.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

C'mon people, let's show our RIDLEY PRIDE!!! We all love RIDLEY regardless of which color of RIDLEY we get in smash! We can even get new colors of RIDLEY As long as we get RIDLEY Preferably we get as many as colors of RIDLEY as possible! :awesome:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero

Didn't Krystal leave Star Fox to join Star Wolf at one point? And then she didn't she come back to Star Fox after that? That pissed me off. Make up your mind woman lol

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Let's not talk about Command, ok? It's more or less noncanon.

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958

Didn't Krystal leave Star Fox to join Star Wolf at one point? And then she didn't she come back after that? That pissed off me. Make up your mind woman lol

Personally I think Krystal is a chode.... ok not a chode but she's not my favorite. But

is pretty neat!

Let's not talk about Command, ok? It's more or less noncanon.
I hated command.

Dark magician girl for smash! Cloud strife for smash! Sora for Smash! Magikarp for smash!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's not a bad game at first, but it's so repetitive. I know Starfox 64 was repetitive (in a sense), but that one's a very arcadey game like Sonic in that it's meant to be played over and over for higher scores.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Maybe Roy could in as a psuedo-clone to Marth. But I think Roy would fare better getting into the DS version.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero

Why would Roy get in one version but not the other? This ain't MK: Armageddon

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Maybe Roy could in as a psuedo-clone to Marth. But I think Roy would fare better getting into the DS version.
Version exclusive rosters should not happen. This isn't Pokemon and you most definitely cannot apply the same concept to a fighting game, even an alternative one like Smash.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Just skimming real quickly, but does personality mean all that much when you think about it (talking about Krystal)? I mean, you guys love Sheik and there's literally no personality behind Sheik.
I think what impacts my views on Krsyal more than her personality is that she is seen as the Scrappy Doo of the Star Fox franchise. Once she came around, the quality of the series went down the drain. That is why we don't like her/are indifferent to her.

On top of that, Krystal also took up a lot of time with stupid comments. Plus she was the worthless damsel who, when playable, was boring to play as. Literally, she did nothing right, and nothing Nintendo did with her was enjoyable. Put that with a mediocre at beset game, and you get a painful experience.

Sheik's character helped you a lot, and was important to the (adult Link) story of Ocarina of Time. Plus, she is Zelda. She also gets a bonus because she was in one of the best games of all-time.

Basically characters in a classic game > characters in games I already forgot about. That is why Wolf got in over Krystal.

Nah, I think Roy should be based off his FE6 form with a bunch of strong and quick stabs with more than usual after lag on several attacks. Think about it; none of the sword-wielding character in smash bros have more than 1 or two stab attacks. All they have are slashes, lunges, etc.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Version exclusive rosters should not happen. This isn't Pokemon and you most definitely cannot apply the same concept to a fighting game, even an alternative one like Smash.
If it amounts to more money it certainly can happen.

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Where's Oasis? He better be here since everyone's raising their voices for supporting Ridley for Smash.

:phone:
He left a while ago. didnt like the stench of Roy's our boy and yugioh. :p

But he said it SHOULDN't happen, not it COULDN't happen!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Micaiah is less important to the story of FE:RD than Ike is. So yeah.

:phone:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Yeah, version exclusives are lame... unless you can transfer a character over from one game to the other with the one game, they are added to the other smash game via DLC, or there isn't enough space on the 3DS version for more characters (which I doubt would happen).

By the way, we need more Riddles and Riddlin in smash. :awesome:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No, people would be pissed to find out that they need both versions to essentially play all characters, or worse that the exclusives become DLC. I myself am ticked that the 12 additional SFxTK characters (which include Alisa, Lei, Christie, and ELENA) are likely to be DLC meaning I gotta pay for them.

By making them exclusive, you would probably decrease sales. At least with Pokemon, you could get version exclusives over online trading.

@John
Krystal's appearance and the decline of the series are coincidental. Keep the bias going though. I don't care too much about it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well goodness, if ChronoBound is going to do it too...

Ridley for Smash. Ridley for Smash. Ridley for Smash. Ridley 4 Smash 4.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero

I'm no tech whiz, but since there's going to be interconnectivity between the two versions, wouldn't it be more ideal to have both versions have the same roster than to have exclusive characters? Again, just an educated guess here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom