• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, who was the fool again for saying Marth and Krom would be the only FE reps this time?

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This is the SSB4 thread. If you have a differing opinion or belief, you will be destroyed.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why not improve their ground game as well?
I agree that lower tier characters need improved ground games, but the smash attacks of heavy and slow characters has been a dilemma and underpowered in each smash bros game.

Characters can go from boss to awful in one smash bros game (Kirby in Smash 64 to Melee, Jiggz and Captain Falcon in Melee to Brawl). That happens, and is more of a game-to-game basis. If you fix Jigglypuff or Captain Falcon to be good in Brawl, it won't necessarily carry over to Smash Bros. Wii U or 3DS. They could also be broken. Again, it's a game-by-game issue that often doesn't carry.

The problems that continue to happen need to fixed. Smash attacks with some heavy and strong characters is a part of that.

Also, smash attacks are just part of the ground attack. Other than that, all heavy characters (minus Bowser) have potential to be anywhere on the tiers. Bowser, on the other hand, is basically a permanent bottom dweller on the tiers unless he gets serious buffs in multiple things, especially smash attacks. Really, it is almost as if Sakurai is afraid of making a true Super Strong, Super Slow Heavyweight character that is good. The closest thing we had to that was Ganondorf in Melee.

Personally, I would be really interested in playing a true heavyweight character. Perhaps Ridley or King K. Rool could also be strong true heavyweight character if Bowser and Ganondorf are weak again (I don't consider Wario, Snake, or Charizard true super strong yet super slow heavyweights by the way). I loved Ganondorf in Melee, and I would love to play another character with that much power again in smash bros.
So, who was the fool again for saying Marth and Krom would be the only FE reps this time?
I don't think many people here dismissed it as a possibility (as is 4 Fire Emblem characters).

Regardless, I still think 3 Fire Emblem characters is most likely. Obvious Marth is as good as confirmed. The question is most likely who the other 1 or 2 (and if it's 3, it's practically confirmed to be Krom, Roy, and Ike).

Anyways, last I checked, no character was confirmed in Smash Bros. Wii U or 3DS
Except Waluigi being unconfirmed (because de-confirmed isn't a real word). He won't make it. :troll:
Edit:
You're not John.
Hey man, let's lower the standards to be fair to these people.

That's like comparing who is the better basketball player between Dwight Howard and yo grandma. Last I checked, yo grandma wasn't David Robinson, and she thought grapes were peanuts with different food flavoring.

You don't compare anyone to me... BECAUSE I AM GOD
~His Knightliness Himself~,
-Johnknight1 (I betcha y'all wish you had an awesome title/introduction/catchphrase like that) :p

Edit 2: By the way, I am hitting the hay. See y'all later! ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Everyone is pretty damn obstinate for Roy around here, so yeah... Soon you'll all realise I was right about Impa to. :awesome:

Speaking of, the official Not Talking About Impa Weeks are now over! :D

IMPA 4 SMASH!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well for one, unlike a certain fat old lady, Roy actually stars in a game. Plus we all like him, the women like him, and he's probably the most balanced Lord.

And woaw Diddy Kong, you managed to find the one of the four clips of Impa in Skyward Sword. Congratulations. I blinked at all the parts with Impa, so I missed her in my play through of Skyward Sword. I did the same thing with Tingle in Four Swords Adventures. :awesome: :cool: :p :laugh: :chuckle: :bee:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh God, I came in about to ask for news (by the way, anything worth mention happening since Saturday=???) and you guys are going on fanboy rants over which new Pokémon will be playable in smash. This is why I hate Pokémon discussions; not enough Pokéballs or bosses, and too many "Victini vs. Zoroark vs. this flavor of the month." Honestly, I have stopped giving a crap which new Pokémon will get in because of it... :laugh:

Maybe. We won't know until we know. :cool:
Edit:

I agree it should happen, but those require the most work. So far with the clones in terms of "different B moves," we have:
[COLLAPSE="B Move Changes for all Brawl clones"]Luigi: He has totally different side B from Mario (his side B is more like Pikachu's, Pichu's, and Jigglypuff's). His down B is also totally different from Mario's, thanks to Mario's down B changing. All the other changes are moves with the same frames, but either different effects or executions.

Toon Link: Mostly moves with different effects or executions. You could argue his Boomerang is different enough from the Gale Boomerang, but I wouldn't. Personally I think the Gale Boomerang is awful and Link needs a new B move
(especially since Link didn't use a Boomerang in Skyward Sword)
, and then Toon Link's other 3 specials either need to be changed or heavily altered.

Ganondorf: Regardless of whether he gets a new moveset or not (involving a sword), I think his specials all have to go... except for his forward B. I think his Forward B should remain fairly similar. The rest should just be changed entirely or thrown out. Maybe bring some moves that would allow him to play like his Melee-self without still being a clone.

Falco: His down B now is used differently, and I would argue is okay as it is. His other specials got a bit more different from Fox's, but I would still like to see them change more. I think he could use two blasters instead of one (that are used differently with new frames) and perhaps a new up B recovery in particular (something involving him being a bird or technology... maybe?).

Wolf: His forward I would argue is his most different move. His up B I think is almost as different as it could be. Maybe add some new technological aspect to it to where it comes out differently or makes Wolf teleport. I think his neutral B should be a claw or some sort of close range weapon. As for the down B, something new entirely needs to be that move.

Lucas: Aside from his B moves, he is dang near totally different from Ness. His neutral B I think is different enough from Ness to be called original, although I think it needs to come out faster and be able to go farther. I think PK Thunder is fine, but if it were to change, something similar I think would be best. Perhaps a missile like recovery or a more simple blast (maybe give Ness his super teleport from EarthBound, too). Meanwhile, I think either or both his forward B or down B need to change. I think we all see those as moves that belong to Ness. Maybe make PK Love Ness' forward B, and perhaps some PK psychic Wave as Lucas' down B.[/COLLAPSE]
Edit 2: Has a certain SSBF come to his senses yet=???
Remember, I predicted (within) three months...
Wait, it's not what it looks like! It wasn't a debate, and I was simply putting up the pic cause I like it! D:

Also, I know Lucas + Ness are clones, but I have to admit, their playstyles are so COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Like, I can't begin to explain how amazingly DIFFERENT they are in terms of playstyles. :D

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I know, but I prefer Ness as I just cannot get used to Lucas, even though I would've liked to be good with him...

I secretly even want Ninten in so he can have Ness and Lucas' borrowed moves while they get something different from PK Fire, PK Thunder and PK Freeze (PK Flash can stay). But I really don't expect that to happen unless we get about 60+ characters...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You can call me... Sir.

Wait, it's not what it looks like! It wasn't a debate, and I was simply putting up the pic cause I like it! D:
That wasn't you I was referring to. It was the random people with single and double digit post counts. I saw nothing wrong with your posts.
Also, I know Lucas + Ness are clones, but I have to admit, their playstyles are so COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Like, I can't begin to explain how amazingly DIFFERENT they are in terms of playstyles. :D
Oh no, I agree. Lucas and Ness have nearly entirely different tilts, smash attacks, aerials, different grabs, and one different special. If they had a different final smash and maybe 2 different B moves, then I would say they would be basically as unlike one another as Mario and Fox. As they are in Brawl, I would say Lucas is a semi-clone of Ness.

The Johnknight1 Clone Scale:
10. Carbon clone (Waluigi) :troll:
9. Ph.D clone (Dr. Mario) :p
8. Same move clones [with different effects and maybe even different hitboxes] (Young Link, Roy, Falco in Melee, Pichu) :facepalm:
7. Slightly original clones (Ganondorf in Melee) :cool:
6. Noticeable difference/Luigified clones (Luigi in Melee, Toon Link, Ganondorf in Brawl) :bee:
5. Fairly original clones/Luigified clones 2.0 (Luigi in Brawl, Wolf) :reverse:
4. Mostly original clones (nearly everyone in smash 64, Falco in Brawl) :smirk
3. Nearly their own character (Lucas) :)
2. Not a clone at all (Lucario; serious GameFAQs, Nsider, and IGN people, STOP CALLING HIM A MEWTWO CLONE! :mad::mad::mad:). ;)
1. Few moves borrowed from other characters (I'm thinking like Ness or Kirby maybe). :awesome:
0. No borrow moves from any other characters (uhh... maybe like Sonic, Snake, or R.O.B.). :grin:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
This is the SSB4 thread. If you have a differing opinion or belief, you will be destroyed.
Ironically, you manage to escape with minor injuries when you talk about SF or MC's gamestyle to replace SSB.
Wtf is that fjwhfikc
I'm also quoting this for obvious reasons.

No news yet today in the Pokemon department. All there that there is to like at the moment is the Crossover probability to be sold everywhere, including the US. So, like always, if I get anything, I'll update you guys.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
There is nothing wrong with having a differed opinion it only gets annoying when both sides act as brick walls and have circular agruments.

You want Impa? That's cool, that's your opinion. We don't like it, that's our opinion. When you try to force down our throats that's people start to dislike you.

Same goes with Pokemon or gameplay mechanics.

There still has to be a point of cohension in this thread though. It's gotten to the point where everyone hates talking about anything thing because X person brought up Y. We're not even arguing for the sake of debate, it's because "Oh I dun lyke dis gai"

Is even anything we can discuss without getting into circular pattern? Bar Music.

@Above Post: -DEAD-

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can defend my point better now though, mainly cause of the break. It has brought me new ideas to bring more fun into the debates to come instead of trying to get to the point every time that she is a logical choice for a character.

So there'll be less of me reasoning why Impa should be in, but far more about HOW she would be in. Which should eventually translate into y'all not even wanting Sheik to return to Smash ever again. :awesome:

IMPA 4 SMASH!!!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You don't wanna turn this thread into Impa vs Victini now don't ya...?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think I can hold my own very well. ^^ Wanna see how far we can get before ugly things happen??

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I think I can hold my own very well. ^^ Wanna see how far we can get before ugly things happen??

Eh, it's not really worth doing mainly due to three things.

1. They are from different series, therefore, both are possible to get in.
2. With different body types, you can't argue movesets over other, which is my proffesion, besides knowing more about Victini than anyone here.
3. It's Impa.

If you want, we can, but it'll have to wait til tonight. Have your boxing gloves, Didz.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ironically, you manage to escape with minor injuries when you talk about SF or MC's gamestyle to replace SSB.
Wtf is that fjwhfikc
I'm also quoting this for obvious reasons.
The worst was high/low blocking and LMH attacks. Everything else has been more along the lines of appends than replacements. Now, I'll admit that character changes were a good number of times replacements.

I manage to escape with minor injuries because I'm Strong.

Definition of brawlie - There is none. It's just some made up term by some melee ****s who think of themselves so highly

But then again, I'll respect your opinion and I will not force you to like Brawl but you better not discriminate brawl players from melee players. We're all equal.
Toad and Bowser Jr. are both still up in the air and a bit of wild card characters.
imo, Every likely character seems to be a bit of a wild card character. There's still a possibility of them being rejected.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Come to think of it, how exactly are games requiring more than two players normally balanced? It's already a pain when it's one on one.

Oh, and I noticed that Sakurai was commenting on only getting 5/16 trials in some fighting game (I can't figure out which one it is.). Don't feel bad, Sakurai, most of those trials are downright impractical and their sole purpose is to be an execution test and/or to show what you can do for combos.

One thing I'm confused about though is that he mentions that he didn't want to limit the tactics of the genres he's disassembling and reassembling (I really like that term), yet a number of things taken out (wavedashing, aerial momentum) and things added in (random tripping) reduce the tactics in Smash. I'm reading this interview, and it's starting to sound more and more like Brawl was a contradiction in his philosophy. Either his philosophy has changed over time, he's lying, or he didn't have as much control over Brawl as he lets on.

And one more thing. DOES THIS GUY NOT AGE?!
That leaves more questions though. Why focus more on aerial combat? Why nerf the ground game in the process? I really wish we had gotten answers on these questions.
The problem is you have the wrong context.

Your viewing it from strictly competitive play and since Brawl has less competitive options than Melee, he must not believe what he says. It goes back to the combo thing. Wavedashing and the likes are fluff. It's not the core of the game and what makes the game fun.

When you ignore things only the competitive guys were using, he really didn't remove anything. He just gave you more freedom in the air (which is nice because attacking off the ledge was much harder in Melee). You still have a lot of ground options, and by making short hops easier, you can also add air to ground attacks much easier. He also added pivot grabs and made Perfect Shielding more useful. For all intensive purposes, he added.

It's the same with Mario Kart Wii removing snaking. Just people who play fighting games are ridiculous and think it's the end of the world.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Now I can, mainly cause I can now with 1000% certainity say Zelda / Impa would by far be more unique of a character concept than Zelda / Sheik ever was.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, and with that improve on the basic idea of Zelda / Sheik.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So, wait. You might be arguing on a gameplay standpoint? This I gotta see.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes. Zelda / Sheik was a duo, yet single character. Zelda / Impa would be an 'actual' duo character, a real tag team focussed far more on switching out. Can't tell too much now though... ^^

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Because? Not interested in a new improved concept on a duo character?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Actual spoiler
Impa is, and always was, the spirit of Sheik, so she has already been in Smash twice
Oh my God, I LOVE YOU BRO! THANK YOU! :laugh: :chuckle: :joyful:
imo, Every likely character seems to be a bit of a wild card character. There's still a possibility of them being rejected.
To a degree I agree. I think we can basically lock up Mega Man as playable, along with either Dixie Kong or King K. Rool (or both), and maybe Ridley too. Little Mac seems to be the closest after that. And aside from that, the only other character I have a "gut feeling" about (who isn't totally obvious like the 5 previously mentioned characters) is Paper Mario. Oh, and a new Pokémon character (it's all but confirmed), and probably Mewtwo too.

After that, anything can happen. IMO Toad and Bowser Jr. are two of the most "interesting" characters up in the air, and two of the characters highest in the air... :awesome: :cool: :reverse:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom