• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'll wait for Uprising to come out I can make an actual comparison, although comparing a shooter? to a fighting game seems a little silly.

For the most part I'm fine with Brawl (except for tripping), I will admit though, a few more advanced techniques would be nice.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That's it. Its just that I want something to learn more about Palutena and Medusa, and whether they could be characters that would be able to transition into Smash Bros. I still don't have an opinion supporting or against the two goddesses, though I hope Uprising and the OVAs convince me on them since there are so few characters that I am interested in being newcomers for Smash 4.
Yeah Paletuna and Medusa are big question marks. Most of us are unsure as to whether or not we like they, whether or not we think they would make good characters, what their chances are (in terms of being a playable character in either of these upcoming smash bros games), etc. I think the same applies to Krom as well.
Also, no character could ever replace Ridley for me as my most desired newcomer. He has been my most wanted character for Smash Bros. since Melee was unveiled.
I know for me the only characters over Ridley have been Toon Link (in), Diddy Kong (in), and Mega Man (should be in, end of story).
I think the REAL question is, when does this thread die and SSB4 get it's own little part of the boards? Was anyone around HERE for Pre-Brawl and know when Brawl got its own section?
Once we got the reveal trailer, Brawl got it's own section... eventually. It took the mods, administrators, etc to get it all down. Maybe a month or two at most.

I expect the same thing to happen with Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS (although much sooner), although I am unsure if they will just get one collective board, or two different boards. I think the mods/admins already may have made rough draft boards for both/each of these two games. They got a lot more experience this time around.
What was the Brawl section like? Like, what were the subsections and whatnot
Initially just a general discussion (a few months or so after Brawl's first trailer), and then a character discussion (I think a few months after the 2nd/current Dojo launched) I think. Then (around the time Sonic was announced) each confirmed character got their own character board, and a few weeks after that a "No Spoiler" forum. After Brawl was released, the other boards were subsequently added (stage discussion, competitive discussion, wifi, etc).
The sooner the spoilers come the better for me. I need to know what I'm looking out for as a competitve player and to be a pioneer player in the new-born scene.
Nah you won't know the game competitively for about 2 or 3 years. There were people who said similar things about Brawl, and most of them disappeared. Knowing the characters and general gameplay will only help you for the first few months. After that, the game will go through weird and crazy transitions/trends/tier lists (ROB used to be #1 on a lot of people's tiers early on; now he is in the middle), until a few years later where the game settles down and stays relatively stable. Slow changes that don't change the root game much follow for several years, and possibly decades, and a permanent fanbase remains afterwards.

Also, in that picture of Sakurai and Iwata in the "Iwata Asks" for Kid Icarus Uprising... Sakurai still looks like a 13 year old Japanese girl... :awesome:

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I do have another question: What's the distinguishing factor between "beginners" and people like me (i.e. I love Smash Bros. and play all the time, but I don't delve into the meta game).

It seems that many competitive players lump people who don't play videogames often and people who play Smash Bros. The lumping usually occurs when the idea of Brawl comes up.

I think the issue at heart is the idea of whether Smash Bros. needs (or was even ever intended) to be a highly competitive franchise. The very nature of the thing leads me to believe that it doesn't. Fighting games are supposed to be competitive; of course, they're for fighting. But Smash Bros. is not intended to be a fighting game. It's a multiplayer Kirby-esque platformer with damage meters. The point of the game is still to win, but it's to win using a combination of skill (about 25%), luck (25%) and smarts (the remaining 50%).

I do know that any game community will take a game that isn't intended to be competitive and twist it until it meets their needs. I don't believe that Melee was ever intended to be the kind of thing it was; the community exploited it and made it fit their idea of a competitive game. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I'm not out to vilify any group that wants to build a subculture around a game. However, I do take issue with that same community when they try to objectively insist that Brawl was any less of a good game because it didn't fit the idea of Smash Bros. that they had created in your head. I mean, saying the game is bad is literally incorrect.

A game can be judged good or bad by a person's taste, however incorrectly, based on how it meets his or her expectations. A game cannot be judged good or bad quantitatively based on the same criterion. The hoards of Meleers who bang their fists on tables and shout about how Brawl sucks because it isn't the same as their precious Gamecube game really just feed into the elitist gamer stereotype. There are many different ways to enjoy games, and to say that Brawl is any less of an enjoyable game because it doesn't contain elements that make it easier to contort into a niche competitor's game is silly. I know you guys and gals like your Melee mechanics, but Brawl is a good game. It contains an unreal amount of content, is 100% to play, and (perhaps most importantly) expands on the idea that Smash is a brilliant celebration of Nintendo.

I don't take issue with people who want to introduce new mechanics to make the game more evenly enjoyable to all factions of players (such as what you've posted about, Kuma), but I have to wonder what makes Brawl so unbearable in the first place. It doesn't cater to the innate need to rise above the crowd with "advanced play tactics?" And I'm not intending to start a fire here; I've heard all the arguments about how Brawl isn't as fun to play for competitive players because of how much depth it lost with the blah blah blah. I'm not buying it. I'm glad you guys enjoyed Melee, and I'm sorry you can't enjoy Brawl, which happens to be the pinnacle of Nintendo gaming.

And may Smash Bros. 4 be able to be enjoyed by as many people as possible, aaaaaaamen.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
This thread is already decently busy with only a handful of people and no news, I wonder how it'll get around here when the game actually gets an official reveal

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Am I the only one hoping they don't use the same fast pace OR slow-floatyness as melee or brawl respectively? Tech skill was required for melee and quit reflexes in order to be "good" while brawl you were good if you were just smart with your characters/matchups/spacing. I hope they make a good balance. I don't want to cramp my hands up from the tech skill/high learning curve like Melee does to me today (though I still love it)... I want something new and fresh that also doesn't go the same path brawl did.
Yeah, I want 2 new smash bros experiences. I think what we might get in one game is a floaty game (although with speed; think like how float everything was in Brawl/Smash 64 with Melee's floating speed) with good speed (somewhere inbetween smash 64 and Melee) and tech skills that don't take a lot of practice to learn (like Smash 64 I guess).

I think both of these two games will also continue the trend of most of the important techs being character specific or specifics to a small group of characters. In Smash most of the useful techs were universal. In Melee, there were a lot of useful character-specific/specific to a small group of character techs. In Brawl, nearly all of the useful techs were character-specific or could only be used by some characters.
PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE STAYING KRY, IT'D BE NICE TO HAVE SOMEONE ELSE FROM THE COMPETITIVE TO STAY AROUND HERE SINCE STEAM LEFT ME V____V

/cap plea
You know I am still here, right=??? Although I stopped playing competitive Brawl, and play competitive Melee exclusive or nearly exclusively now (smash 64 I get ***** at too often). I actually got a text from my bro SuperSkeetBro about a tournament soon.
3. Fawful: 89

maybe gamefaqs isn't as bad as I thought.
fAWFUL got 89 votes=???
That's AWFUL! :awesome:
But for realZ, GameFAQs is, and always will be, when it comes to smash bros, AWFUL!!! (for the most part)
I'm rather impressed by the depth in this game. It looks like Sakurai's starting to find the happy medium by basically let us decide for ourselves.

MOTHER****ING AWESOME!
Too bad I don't give two ****s about this game. Let's see this transfer over to Smash4, and then we can rejoice
I agree with this, except I actually care about Kid Icarus Uprising... a bit! :smirk:
I swear to God, if the Adventure Mode is anything like the SSE....
...I will kill the Sandbag. Not hurt it. Not KO it. KILL IT!!!

But for realZs, I hope that we get an Adventure Mode that explores the universes of the various characters that are in the game (ie: Mushroom Kingdom in Mario), and maybe a few extra (Nintendo) worlds too, along with some "Smash World" thing. There can be a story, but make it simple, and make it about the characters, not some dumb Subspace garbage.
Dark Days of Brawl?

You must be a Zelda Main.
Or maybe you want a competitive smash bros game that isn't based on defensive tactics that all at some level involve running away or stalling action.

Anyways on a random side note, I just noticed something; Kid Icarus Uprising's multiplayer reminds me of Kirby Air Ride with the rails and gameplay, mixed with Metroid Prime Hunter's mechanics and presentation, Star Fox 64's multiplayer stage layout, and Smash Bros' party atmosphere.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Looking at the Iwata Ask right now for KI:Uprising. I suggest you read it as it's pretty good. But, for those of you who are hoping SSB4 will be different

Sakurai: Come to think about it, didn't we talk about this before? As a matter of fact, it’s a really simple thing. Fighting games seems to be like it’s about making specific combos, but I wondered how we could draw out that element of ad lib that I liked so much and thought it would be fun to have the reactions change every time. The result was putting in cumulative damage.
Basically, Smash is about the flow of the battle, not about combos.

Yeah Paletuna and Medusa are big question marks. Most of us are unsure as to whether or not we like they, whether or not we think they would make good characters, what their chances are (in terms of being a playable character in either of these upcoming smash bros games), etc. I think the same applies to Krom as well.
It seems like only Toise and I actually have an opinion on these characters. Everyone else is too willy-nilly.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I do have another question: What's the distinguishing factor between "beginners" and people like me (i.e. I love Smash Bros. and play all the time, but I don't delve into the meta game).

It seems that many competitive players lump people who don't play videogames often and people who play Smash Bros. The lumping usually occurs when the idea of Brawl comes up.
Competitive means you play the game competitively and go to competitive events to compete competitively, period. At least to me anyways. You could view it differently, which is a okay... because it is subjective. However, most people who play the game competitively at live tournaments view "competitive smash bros" the way I do.

Also, Sakurai made many of the advanced techniques (such as L-cancelling) and balancing himself. Smash is not just casual players, not just party game players, not just for Nintendo fans, not just for fans of the playable characters, not just for platforming game fans, not just single-player addicts, not just for online gameplay addicts, and not just for competitive tournament-going players. Sakurai made Smash Bros for all, which is how it has and will be made. The reason smash bros is so popular is because it appeals to everyone. If Sakurai appeals to one less fanbase, it will be less exciting and interesting by one less fanbase.

@ Metal Overlord
It will be madness. There will be all kinds of crazy stuff with threads. You won't know most of the people who post, except for the regulars whom you know, have talked to, or have seen post before on multiple occasions.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
FLOW. That's a good word. I've always hoped the movement in Smash becomes even more fluid. FLUIDS FLOW.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It seems like only Toise and I actually have an opinion on these characters. Everyone else is too willy-nilly.
I don't know about willy-nilly, I just plumb do not care. My vote still goes with Palutena.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I really don't care too much (like Star). Plus I want to know how each character looks/acts before I endorse/oppose them. I was neutral on Lucas until I saw MOTHER 3 gameplay footage. After that, I wanted Lucas SOOOO BAD!!! (assuming Ness stayed)

The same went for Lucario, Ike, etc.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I dunno about the best pick Oasis. I think you are just being silly... :awesome:

But for real, Paletuna is the popular pick, because she is the good guy, and is already known by many people who play smash (but haven't played a Kid Icarus game).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Probably, although I'm starting to actually make up my mind.

Palutena's the popular, EXPECTED pick, and Medusa is the best pick.

Trufax.
I'd say it's the other way around on other sites.

But for real, Paletuna is the popular pick, because she is the good guy, and is already known by many people who play smash (but haven't played a Kid Icarus game).
1. I doubt it's because she's a good guy... :awesome:
2. You really should pick up a copy of one of the games or get the Uprising pre-order and get the original for free. Take your pick.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I dunno about the best pic Oasis. I think you are just being silly... :awesome:

I would say that Palutena is the most popular among people who have played the games, too. She's my pick because she plays a massive role in Uprising, providing commentary and dialogue that is apparently hilarious. At least, for a videogame.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
May as well make a cameo appearance making commentary since that's all she's good for, aside from making Pit do all the fighting for her.

Let Medusa do the ACTUAL fighting. Can do everything Palutena does PLUS MORE.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think Oasis is calling me out.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't know about willy-nilly, I just plumb do not care. My vote still goes with Palutena.
I was never sure your opinion on either of them. It was more geared towards the people who go like "I don't know. Maybe I'll decide after uprising.."

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
"Medusa is a public domain, mythical Greek monster. Deconfirmed."
That is actually what some people believe. Although if Medusa is in, this or this needs to be her theme. Paletuna needs to have this as her theme... :awesome:
1. I doubt it's because she's a good guy... :awesome:
2. You really should pick up a copy of one of the games or get the Uprising pre-order and get the original for free. Take your pick.
I've played the original Kid Icarus several before. The only time I ever bothered to get past the first 5 levels (because that game wasn't hard enough to make me want to play on) was when I did one of the codes and had all the power ups all the way through the game and beat it.

I have never played of Myths and Monsters though. I might get around to playing it... eventually. :smirk:
I would say that Palutena is the most popular among people who have played the games, too. She's my pick because she plays a massive role in Uprising, providing commentary and dialogue that is apparently hilarious. At least, for a videogame.
Still, even your opinion could change if Medusa interests you enough. Really any of us could sway either way after seeing this whole game or a larger part of this game.

Personally, I don't want Medusa to be playable right now... because I think she would make a TERRIFIC boss!!!

...So I guess my vote goes to Paletuna if I had to choose one right now.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
May as well make a cameo appearance making commentary since that's all she's good for, aside from making Pit do all the fighting for her.

Let Medusa do the ACTUAL fighting. Can do everything Palutena does PLUS MORE.
Yeah, because that is why Zelda is not a playable fighter is Super Sma-oh wait.

I was never sure your opinion on either of them. It was more geared towards the people who go like "I don't know. Maybe I'll decide after uprising.."
I know, I just like throwing things out there for the sake of discussion.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's not that I don't think Palutena can fight, it's that she would be redundant after Medusa. BD

She's like, a watered-down Medusa.

Also I want Medusa (or Ganondorf I guess) to somehow force Saki to become his MONSTER FORM and try to USE HIM to defeat the heroes. :I

Didn't Achi DECEIVE HIM to get him into that form in the first place. To USE HIM as a warlord. See, it totally fits. But he's having none of that.

"Whatever's best for me is all that matters!"

How long did it take you to beat S&P, Star... I have been cursing at it so much.

Kolorado

Smash Apprentice
I dunno about the best pick Oasis. I think you are just being silly... :awesome:

Good guys are overrated. We play as them in every game. Fighting games like Smash Bros. give us a chance to play as the bad guys. Still, it seems like developers don't like adding very many.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Basically, Smash is about the flow of the battle, not about combos.
Go to the FG threads over at the Light House and most, if not all, will tell you that the same thing has applied to fighting games since Street Fighter 2.

And I don't know what Sakurai's going on about ad-lib. That's been around for ages in the form of mixups. Of course, Smash's knockback does add some depth because this on-the-fly aspect of fighting games.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Kuma arguing with Sakurai now. lol

It's not that I don't think Palutena can fight, it's that she would be redundant after Medusa. BD

She's like, a watered-down Medusa.

Also I want Medusa (or Ganondorf I guess) to somehow force Saki to become his MONSTER FORM and try to USE HIM to defeat the heroes. :I

Didn't Achi DECEIVE HIM to get him into that form in the first place. To USE HIM as a warlord. See, it totally fits. But he's having none of that.

"Whatever's best for me is all that matters!"

How long did it take you to beat S&P, Star... I have been cursing at it so much.
Poor Saki, so gullible... Although you have tipped your hand and showed your real intentions for wanting Medusa. ;)

As for the original Sin and Punishment it took me a couple of days. One because I was so frustrated at the difficulty that I threw the controller down and stopped playing, and two because it was already night. After I dropped the difficulty it took me about, what, maybe a couple hours?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Go to the FG threads over at the Light House and most, if not all, will tell you that the same thing has applied to fighting games since Street Fighter 2.

And I don't know what Sakurai's going on about ad-lib. That's been around for ages in the form of mixups. Of course, Smash's knockback does add some depth because this on-the-fly aspect of fighting games.
The point is he's not focusing on things like combos (which he also says fighting games do too much of). What Sakurai is doing is removing the fluff (combos) and keeping the core and accentuating it. I think that's a big key to Smash's success.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
As for the original Sin and Punishment it took me a couple of days. One because I was so frustrated at the difficulty that I threw the controller down and stopped playing, and two because it was already night. After I dropped the difficulty it took me about, what, maybe a couple hours?
Forget S&P, I'm going to curse at you now instead. >:V

Did S&P2 have better controls? I've yet to play, but it definitely seems like something begging for a bit a' Wii waggling. I want to play the original with the sequels control's. u3u

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
If that's a sin, then I was condemned ages ago.
I always like how Kuma think he know better than the guy who has made his fair share of games.

Did S&P2 have better controls? I've yet to play, but it definitely seems like something begging for a bit a' Wii waggling. I want to play the original with the sequels control's. u3u
Good from what I remembered.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Good guys are overrated. We play as them in every game. Fighting games like Smash Bros. give us a chance to play as the bad guys. Still, it seems like developers don't like adding very many.
That's a different debate. I'm merely stating that Paletuna is probably more important in Uprising (like she arguably is in the first 2 Kid Icarus games), therefore I think she is more likely, especially given that Sakurai is making the game, and will probably choose the more important character. Plus we haven't exactly played as either Paletuna or Medusa.

And we also haven't been able to play as Ridley yet!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:
You know what time it is=???
IT'S THE RAGE RIDLEY ISN'T IN SMASH AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER YET HOUR!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Arguing with results and having nothing to show for it?

Yeah, you go girl. Fight the power, et cetera.
Arguing against ideas and having nothing to contribute?

Yeah, you go girl. Fight the power, et cetera.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Monstrous editting. That post flickered more than I blinked.

Anyway, I think it would be a cool idea to add Doc Louis to Mac's victory animations. They could have him say something too, and to avoid confusion between players with the same character, they could have alternate colors for Doc Louis as well.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If that's a sin, then I was condemned ages ago.
Wow... Just, wow.

Forget S&P, I'm going to curse at you now instead. >:V

Yes, much better. It is more in line with an SCHMUP given the ability to fly, but it has some land sequences too (oh, and a really nice sand jetbike area). The trade off though is because it is easier to control some stages become bullet hells. The game is a little bit different than the first, but it is the same kind of clinging to life adrenaline rush as the first title.

The levels are really incredible too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom