• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
I don't see the point in getting rid of an established character. Sheik is obviously favored by Sakurai anyway as he picked him/her as one of the first announced Melee characters (before Zelda), made her an original moveset and brought her back for Brawl even though her relevance had diminished. Given the recent remake of Ocarina also, Sheik has had some of his.her relevancy restored. Impa had a big enough role in Skyward Sword, but Ocarina is considered the most important Zelda game by Nintendo if their timeline is anything to go by.

Also, I'm sick of popping on this thread and seeing Impa being brought up. I respect the fact you want her, don't think Sheik should/is going to leave and now supports Epona as the new Zelda rep. (Horses are awesome.)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't see the point in getting rid of an established character. Sheik is obviously favored by Sakurai anyway as he picked him/her as one of the first announced Melee characters (before Zelda), made her an original moveset and brought her back for Brawl even though her relevance had diminished. Given the recent remake of Ocarina also, Sheik has had some of his.her relevancy restored. Impa had a big enough role in Skyward Sword, but Ocarina is considered the most important Zelda game by Nintendo if their timeline is anything to go by.

Also, I'm sick of popping on this thread and seeing Impa being brought up. I respect the fact you want her, don't think Sheik should/is going to leave and now supports Epona as the new Zelda rep. (Horses are awesome.)
Uh-oh, Diddy Kong hates this. But really, tag team Impa and Zelda is really just a wet dream for Diddy Kong.... just like a playable Orca (the funny guy who taught Link attacks in the Wind Waker) I kinda sorta want. I mean, c'mon! That Orca dude has a friggen spear!!! :laugh: To most of us, Diddy Kong's obsession with Impa makes as much sense as this. :chuckle:

I think that really Epona would have a great moveset. She could run fast with her :bbutton: attack, jump with her :bbutton::stick8: attack, raise her front legs up and stomp opponents in front of her with her :bbutton::stick2: attack, and yell "NEGGHHH!!!" with her :bbutton::stick4::stick6: attack.
:joyful: :joyful: ;) :cool: :) :grin: :laugh: :chuckle: :smirk: :reverse: :bee: :joyful: :link: :glare: :link64: :oneeye: :linkmelee: :psycho: :linkbrawl: :cyclops: :toonlinkbrawl: :shades: :facepalm: :joyful: :joyful:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Well, Skyward Sword is or SHOULD BE equally as important to the time line to Zelda as OOT is / was. It's the very first game in the timeline, "here is where it all begins". And its just about as revolutionary for the series as OOT was, or at least, a point in which things finally changed around in the series.

You popping into Impa talk is unfortunate if you wanted to avoid it, but we had just 3 official Not Talking About Impa Weeks, so the moment of silence is no more.

Also, Sheik being revealed before Zelda is probably cause of shock value. People wouldn't suspect her, same thing happened with Brawl and Zero Suit Samus.

Thing with Sheik is though is that she was never really all that important anyways. Not enough to really warrant her spot in Brawl, but it was justified somehow by her planned inclusion (plus workable model) in Twilight Princess, more or less.

Her MELEE popularity also would've helped with this, but one cannot deny there are / have been much better candidates for Zelda for Brawl than Sheik. As her role isn't too great in the overall series of Zelda, or even Ocarina of Time. Besides, OOT gets enough love already with Zelda's spells and Ganondorf himself. Gdorf might even be all inspired on his OOT appearance, and you could say that he was much more important to OOT than both Zelda and Sheik anyway.

Impa had a lot of character development in SS, and quite an enormous role if you pay good attention in the end. It's no reason by itself, but considering Zelda / Impa could be a far more unique, improved concept over Zelda / Sheik, why shouldn't importance, relevance and overall role also be considered? It's only a better reason to actually do it.

Impa originally was the holder of the Triforce of Power, and has been around forever, with a recent revival with a lot of character development in the 25 year anniversary game... She even might become a staple to the series from this point.

Still not everything I have to say but I don't wanna write a big essay on this too much now. But I feel Impa has more than what it takes to make it as a character.

:phone:

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE STAYING KRY, IT'D BE NICE TO HAVE SOMEONE ELSE FROM THE COMPETITIVE TO STAY AROUND HERE SINCE STEAM LEFT ME V____V

/cap plea

Anyways, yeah I want something new. Which is why I love all 3 smash games. They are all something new. I personally would have been happy with Brawl being Melee 2.0 but I'm happy that's something different as it is now.

I got you Kryz

We want, a game that is mentally draining like Brawl while having the tech skill+reflex capacity that Melee demanded.

Oh my god...just imagining a game like that :smirk:
Ahaha, well I'll be stickin around. I'm really looking forward to details. The thought of dojo updates like before is making me giddy tbh.

Oh, I can't wait for the day I can legitimately say, "I'm going to get the new Smash Bros. game." Ah, what a glorious thought... :awesome:

THISSSS

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well, Skyward Sword is or SHOULD BE equally as important to the time line to Zelda as OOT is / was. It's the very first game in the timeline, "here is where it all begins". And its just about as revolutionary for the series as OOT was, or at least, a point in which things finally changed around in the series.
Uh... no. Before the beginning was Minish Cap, and that was ignored in smash. Plus Skyward Sword is not as important to gaming or Nintendo as Ocarina of Time. Heck, Skyward Sword uses the battle system FIRST INVENTED IN OCARINA OF TIME! Ocarina of Time sold more, is more popular, and is constantly rated as the best video game of the 20th century.

If you ask me about which game was the best 21st century Zelda game, I would take the Wind Waker and Majora's Mask over Skyward Sword any day.
Also, Sheik being revealed before Zelda is probably cause of shock value. People wouldn't suspect her, same thing happened with Brawl and Zero Suit Samus.
No, people knew Samus was in Brawl, except for n00bs Nsider, IGN, and GameFAQs (who sadly came here, and also felt Luigi would be cut).

In Brawl Zelda was revealed way before Sheik, but we all knew Sheik was in. The only "shock value" was with the Lucas/Ness situation, which was because of the way Sakurai worded "up until now."
Thing with Sheik is though is that she was never really all that important anyways. Not enough to really warrant her spot in Brawl, but it was justified somehow by her planned inclusion (plus workable model) in Twilight Princess, more or less.
Impa was never important either. Your point is thus invalid if you are arguing for Impa (and don't bring up that manual crap for the first 2 Zelda games).
Her MELEE popularity also would've helped with this, but one cannot deny there are / have been much better candidates for Zelda for Brawl than Sheik.
I don't think there is a single Zelda series character that would have been more fun than Sheik in Melee or Brawl (that wasn't in Melee or Brawl). Tingle? Lame and hated. Ralph? No role. Impa? Meah. Sheik is a FRIGGEN NINJA! She uses NINJA MOVES!!! Who doesn't want a ninja in smash=???

All of your ideas about Impa are as a replacement character with all or mostly the same moves. Seriously, why would Sakurai waste his time doing that=???

Besides, the most important Zelda characters not in smash are Ganon and Vatti, not Impa. Heck, at least Ghirahim is the main villain in Skyward Sword, and Midna is title character (and arguably main character) in Twilight Princess. All Impa does is help. I still think you don't understand-SHEIK IS ZELDA'S ALTER EGO!!!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Melee was just TOO fast paced. Just look at Fox... Even the top players of the game say that probably no human being can play this character 100% perfectly technically.

I kinda expect it to be faster than Brawl at least, but am not having the highest hopes. I expect it to be more similar to Brawl than Melee, but am keeping my expectations neutral.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Opinion.

You popping into Impa talk is unfortunate if you wanted to avoid it, but we had just 3 official Not Talking About Impa Weeks, so the moment of silence is no more.
Fact is nobody wants to hear about it. Your continual need to shove your opinion down everyone's throat is definitely not helping your cause.

Yeah, had nothing to do with the fact that Sheik was one of the most requested characters pre-Melee. Absurd...

Speculation.

Her MELEE popularity also would've helped with this, but one cannot deny there are / have been much better candidates for Zelda for Brawl than Sheik. As her role isn't too great in the overall series of Zelda, or even Ocarina of Time. Besides, OOT gets enough love already with Zelda's spells and Ganondorf himself. Gdorf might even be all inspired on his OOT appearance, and you could say that he was much more important to OOT than both Zelda and Sheik anyway.
Heh, how cute.

Impa had a lot of character development in SS, and quite an enormous role if you pay good attention in the end. It's no reason by itself, but considering Zelda / Impa could be a far more unique, improved concept over Zelda / Sheik, why shouldn't importance, relevance and overall role also be considered? It's only a better reason to actually do it.
Actually, if any character had the most development it was probably Ghirahim, and that can be backed up by what the developers said. Going by your logic than we should have granny Impa since Link interacted with her primarily.

Impa originally was the holder of the Triforce of Power, and has been around forever, with a recent revival with a lot of character development in the 25 year anniversary game... She even might become a staple to the series from this point.
Doesn't matter what she was, it is what she is now that matters. You really need to read a literary classic or something to get an idea of how characterization works. Impa, at best, was a prop to further Zelda's development as a character. Your last point about being a staple is just not even worth going into because you would have to be one of the developers to know that.
Still not everything I have to say but I don't wanna write a big essay on this too much now. But I feel Impa has more than what it takes to make it as a character.
Please don't, that is what your blog is for.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ganondorf was a thousand fold more popular than Sheik, who shared popularity with Young Link and Zelda. Reading the rest now.

Also, I don't WANT it to be more like Brawl than Melee, quite the opposite. I just EXPECT it to be more like Brawl than Melee...

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Ganondorf was a thousand fold more popular than Sheik, who shared popularity with Young Link and Zelda. Reading the rest now.

Riddle me this Diddy, why is it then that Sheik and Zelda were the first two Zelda newcomers shown while, as far as I recall, Ganondorf was a last minute addition? In fact Wario was more popular than all of them yet he did not show up until Brawl. Roster decisions ultimately lie with developers and not fans.

Not trying to be snarky Diddy, but you really need to take a step back and evaluate how you come across.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That's why I said out of the characters from the Zelda franchise not in Melee or Brawl. Ganondorf, Young Link/Toon Link, Link, and Zelda were/are already in smash bros.
Also, I don't WANT it to be more like Brawl than Melee, quite the opposite. I just EXPECT it to be more like Brawl than Melee...
Sakurai has mentioned he felt Melee was the "most polished" smash bros game. I expect Sakurai to follow some of Melee's formula, or at least follow Melee's formula more than Brawl's or Smash 64's (minus Sakurai working 120 hours a week). Don't get me wrong, elements of each game will reappear, but I think Melee (at least in terms of gameplay) will be the biggest influence on where Sakurai wants to go with Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS, especially if HAL Laboratories is the main developer of the game like they were in Smash 64 and Melee. HAL Laboratories certainly did a better job than Game Arts... BY A MILE! :laugh: :joyful::joyful::joyful: :joyful: :laugh:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Riddle me this Diddy, why is it then that Sheik and Zelda were the first two Zelda newcomers shown while, as far as I recall, Ganondorf was a last minute addition? In fact Wario was more popular than all of them yet he did not show up until Brawl. Roster decisions ultimately lie with developers and not fans.

Not trying to be snarky Diddy, but you really need to take a step back and evaluate how you come across.
It's the truth though. Ganondorf was one of the most requested characters period. And only Wario and DeDeDe where ignored popularity wise, as well as Diddy and Meta Knight. But they where all in Brawl. Bowser and Peach where infact the most requested for Melee, and they got revealed very early.

They might went for Zelda / Sheik earlier because they are a duo character, thus more unique. He was planned with that sword as you know, but you also know about the time restraint issue of coarse.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ganondorf had the sword only tested out briefly. Sakurai has stated Ganondorf was lucky he had the body type of Captain Falcon, otherwise he wouldn't have been in Melee (it was on the Japanese Melee Dojo).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's true, but they tried at least. He was also probably quite hard to work with, cause he still isn't unique... :/

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ganondorf is easy to make unique just based off Ocarina of Time and that Nintendo World Trailer from 2000. Just give him generic slashes like Link, but make 'em super strong. :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He was floating in OOT though... Maybe his lightning ball wouldn't really be half as effective on the ground...? It's just stupid, cause Gdorf is sooooo much better than Sheik :/ it always bugged me tbh

D

Deleted member

Well I would rather have had Entei in Melee instead of Pichu so quit yer *****in'.

At this point, the only character that needs to get in from the Zelda series is Ganon. I'm talking blue pig Ganon, not "Beast Ganon" that Ganondorf turns into.

Plue pig has been in more games than Dorf, and uses a trident.

Tell me THIS wouldn't be badass to play as.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I set my expectations too high for the Impa discussion.

Diddy, if you want to convince people, try other means.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I am a little late on this.

15 characters, 15 Franchises.
Rules:
  • Spread the characters as you please
  • You must have TWO shock/WTF characters (Like, Sheik/ZSS/PT and ROB/G&W)
  • You must have a new Weapon weidling character
  • A new heavy character
  • A new Light character
  • A character who brings a new gimmick (Peach, IC's, Diddy/Dixie, Olimar, ect)

Super Mario (1) Paper Mario ((Down B switches partner, B allows the partner to perform a special attack))
Yoshi Island/Story - X
Wario Ware/Land - X
Donkey Kong (2) Dixie Kong, King K. Rool
Legend Of Zelda (1) Ghirahim
Kirby Series - X
Pokemon (1) Zoroark ((Down B randomly morphs into another character: Retains Zoroark's special moves and stats, but has the regular moves of the random character))
Metroid (1) Ridley
StarFox - x
F-Zero - x
Fire Emblem - x
Mother - X
Kid Icarus (1) Medusa
Smaller Franchises (5) Saki, Issac, Takamaru, Lip, Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western
Third Party (3) Mega Man, Ryu, Geno

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok, well I can come up with new stuff. Just need to access a pc, give me an hour...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
And for a challenge - Focus on justifying why a Zelda/Impa tag team would be more exciting and unique over the current Zelda/Sheik composite.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Impa makes sense to me as a Sheik swap (most moves and stats retained from Sheik as well as the ability to "switch over" to Zelda). This way the Zelda cast can reflect the design from Skyward Sword.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually, come to think of it, it really would fit well, even though I would prefer the two to be standalone. The two went around together so a tag team would be faithful to the source material.

And I know you guys are going to hate on me as usual. But I'm going to go back to the ideas I had and try to put them into Smash terminology as best as possible, like using IASA frames. And this is off topic, but why do Smash players refer to the time of the first active frame instead of saying startup? I mean, I can see why as startup can be confusing, but I guess it's a matter of preference.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The Skyward sword designs might be able to solve the Zelda/Sheik or Impa problem of balance. Zelda is smaller and younger (shown to be more impulsive). Translated to character design this would mean a smaller target model and faster movement.

Zelda should have fast, strong attacks with small range. And she should have moderate movement (and I would argue a faster Up B).

Sheik/Impa could be the combo, damage dealer with very low KO potential.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just bought Dillion's Rolling Western.

It looks pretty good. I'll tell y'all what I think of it in a bit

Drakkardnoir

Smash Rookie
Sorry, two GameFAQS accounts spamming Impa is trolling. You've yet to explain to me how Impa is worthy of a Smash slot.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Yes, and with that improve on the basic idea of Zelda / Sheik.

So, wait. You might be arguing on a gameplay standpoint? This I gotta see.
This.

Ahaha, well I'll be stickin around. I'm really looking forward to details. The thought of dojo updates like before is making me giddy tbh.
Well heads up, things are about to get really bad in here. Sorry you have to come in here on such a down point of the thread.

Opinion.

Fact is nobody wants to hear about it. Your continual need to shove your opinion down everyone's throat is definitely not helping your cause.

Yeah, had nothing to do with the fact that Sheik was one of the most requested characters pre-Melee. Absurd...

Speculation.

Heh, how cute.

Actually, if any character had the most development it was probably Ghirahim, and that can be backed up by what the developers said. Going by your logic than we should have granny Impa since Link interacted with her primarily.

Doesn't matter what she was, it is what she is now that matters. You really need to read a literary classic or something to get an idea of how characterization works. Impa, at best, was a prop to further Zelda's development as a character. Your last point about being a staple is just not even worth going into because you would have to be one of the developers to know that.

Please don't, that is what your blog is for.
STAR GOING IN

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The Skyward sword designs might be able to solve the Zelda/Sheik or Impa problem of balance. Zelda is smaller and younger (shown to be more impulsive). Translated to character design this would mean a smaller target model and faster movement.

Zelda should have fast, strong attacks with small range. And she should have moderate movement (and I would argue a faster Up B).

Sheik/Impa could be the combo, damage dealer with very low KO potential.
I'd argue that she's fine with the basics in her Smash moveset. Make her Din's Fire a more important part of her game and fix her up in a lot of her normals and she'll be good to go save for maybe changing up the properties of her specials.

Impa's best as being the next step in Sheik's design. At least, that's the way I see it.

Personally, I think a tag team duo is a better way to implement the transformation thing that's been going on since Melee. Except, make it a command taunt like Luigi's kick.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Hey Diddy, I'm just wondering, what would your ideal roster be? Outside of Impa I don't know who else you support.

Anyone else want Link to be faster and more agile from Skyward Sword? And Samus for that matter? They both went quite against the mould this gen and revamped veterans excite me almost as much as newcomers. Also, which Ganondorf design do people want? Ocarina, Twilight or a Skyward Sword inspired one? I want the latter personally.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Personally, I think a tag team duo is a better way to implement the transformation thing that's been going on since Melee. Except, make it a command taunt like Luigi's kick.
I wouldn't mind saving specials by using taunts as a tag-in.

Another idea is to make the transformation a helpful move. When transforming from Zelda to Impa, make the move a shield (Skyward Style) created by Impa as she tags in. It could absorb half the damage and cancel some knock back. Make it instant.

Zelda could have an attacking move when she tags-in.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hey Diddy, I'm just wondering, what would your ideal roster be? Outside of Impa I don't know who else you support.

Anyone else want Link to be faster and more agile from Skyward Sword? And Samus for that matter? They both went quite against the mould this gen and revamped veterans excite me almost as much as newcomers. Also, which Ganondorf design do people want? Ocarina, Twilight or a Skyward Sword inspired one? I want the latter personally.
A lot of the veterans, because of the last five or so years, could get a lot of revamps.

Donkey Kong could be more of an athletic big guy like he's supposed to be like having that roll of his.
Link could be more versatile with a better projectile game.
Samus could be more rushdown and/or evasive (then where does this leave Zamus?).
Mario and Luigi can be further differed.
Peach has her abilities as a woman from SPP.
Bowser can have a projectile game with literal fireballs from SMG.
There's a lot of room for revamps, but I guess I'd like to consider these more like renewals than revamps.

For Ganondorf, I want the twin swords from Wind Waker. It always sticked out to me in comparison to his other weapons as gave off an Affably Evil vibe. For his design, though? IDK, they may pull a Starfox and create a new design or have the Zelda team create one for him.

I wouldn't mind saving specials by using taunts as a tag-in.

Another idea is to make the transformation a helpful move. When transforming from Zelda to Impa, make the move a shield (Skyward Style) created by Impa as she tags in. It could absorb half the damage and cancel some knock back. Make it instant.

Zelda could have an attacking move when she tags-in.
I'm more of where their attacks have IASA frames, but instead of exiting that attack, that attack continues as normal and the other person comes in where the on point character is. For example, picture Zelda doing her USmash, does the taunt command on the very first hit. Impa runs in. If the attack is still going on. Impa's got a free opening to an attack because Zelda's attack hasn't finished yet. Once Zelda's attack is finished, she immediately leaves.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I like your tag team idea.

Any guesses on Diddy getting Dixie as a tag team partner? Or simply being her own character? Or simply not being in Smash as a character?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think it can go either way. I'd prefer her being stand alone if Zelda/Impa's gonna be a tag team partner.

What do you think of Pokemon Trainer getting a similar tag team treatment? If so, how do you think they could differ it from Zelda/Impa. Finally, how do you think a tag team setup would better encourage using the entire team as opposed to just using one and not the other? Believe it or not, the answer's not too hard if you know a few things about mixups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom