• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
What have they done to the Grim Reaper theme?!

It used to be this. But now it's this?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Am I the only who thought the old grim reaper theme sounded like the opening part of Here Comes the Bride?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Star: Indeeddddd. Dark Pit has some liking on spanish-styled tunes...

And who cares what happened to the Grim Reaper-theme, the new one is seriously kicking ***. ELECTRONIC QUI-TAAH

:phone:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think it can go either way. I'd prefer her being stand alone if Zelda/Impa's gonna be a tag team partner.

What do you think of Pokemon Trainer getting a similar tag team treatment? If so, how do you think they could differ it from Zelda/Impa. Finally, how do you think a tag team setup would better encourage using the entire team as opposed to just using one and not the other? Believe it or not, the answer's not too hard if you know a few things about mixups.
The tag team switch (allowing potentially two attacks; one from either character) works for a potential Diddy/Dixie combo and a Zelda/Impa combo.

For Pokemon I think a vanish and attack method works better (can be used in the air).

The current pokemon instantly disappears and a pokeball comes flying from the background to the spot where the swap occurred. If the pokeball hits the opponent, the next pokemon comes out with an attack. If the pokeball misses, it lands on the ground first, and then the next pokemon pops out.

Example, Bowser goes to forward Smash Ivysaur. Ivysaur's player presses Down B. Ivysaur is sucked back to the trainer and a pokeball comes hurling to where Ivysaur was. It hits Bowser. Charizard comes lunging out with a burst of flame and can follow with another attack.

If the pokeball does not hit Bowser, the ball lands on the ground, Charizard pops out without an attack.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I like your tag team idea.

Any guesses on Diddy getting Dixie as a tag team partner? Or simply being her own character? Or simply not being in Smash as a character?
It's an idea as a tag team similar on how Diddy and Dixie indeed where planned, or envisioned to be. But not exactly, as you can only switch with Down B, and some other moves that would leave the other character open. Picture Impa doing the magical barrier... she got her front protected, but a jump and a B Air would be able to fix that right?? Think again! Zelda teleports back, Impa holds on to her barrier, and Zelda has to fend off enemies now for Impa! BOOM! Most unique character in the game!

To spice up the concept, make the Sheikah Barrier much like Wario's Wario Waft (down B). A move that builds up it's "power" (it's not an offensive attack at all) over time. The barrier is perfect for this sort of idea, because it's an attack that leaves Impa open from behind. But to prevent brokenness, Zelda can only jump into FULLY charged / unused barriers.

And Down B for Impa might be the infamous Deku Nut warp. She throws a Deku Nut and disapears, and if the Deku Nut hits, it does a little damage (like 5%, not like Brawl's item Deku Nut... wtf was that about?) and Zelda jumps in. A move where Impa would jump in for Zelda would perhaps be HER new Down B? I don't know what it'd be yet... but possibly a duo double attack?? And Impa could also jump in after Zelda would use Faore's Wind, so Zelda can recover much better.

This would FORCE the player to use both characters equally, much like Pokémon Trainer, but much different still.
How's that for a "lame Sheik clone"? Who's an "unimportant character" now?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
And who cares what happened to the Grim Reaper-theme, the new one is seriously kicking ***. ELECTRONIC QUI-TAAH
I do.

Unless you've played the original, you might not understand... :3

Not that the new one is bad or anything, it just lacks the nostagia.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I've played the original too Tri-Hy, and I might get what ya mean. But hello, at least they used Underworld in small riffs. Besides, who knows if they have that music in there actually?

Also, Skyworld (Not Brawl one, the original World 3 from Kid Icarus-one)-remix, please.

D

Deleted member

Is that second one supposed to be Magnus' theme? I can't translate what is being said so I'm going off by the picture.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I've played the original too Tri-Hy, and I might get what ya mean. But hello, at least they used Underworld in small riffs. Besides, who knows if they have that music in there actually?

Also, Skyworld (Not Brawl one, the original World 3 from Kid Icarus-one)-remix, please.

I guess, but at least they have a few other songs from the original as shown in the trailers.

Agreed, it's rather surprising they made that typo. As a side note though, I'm also hoping for a few remixes from OM&M.

Underworld
Overworld
Fortress

@Golden: Yep, that's what it translates to.

D

Deleted member

Ah. Thanks Tri. (Sorry, is it Tri or Try?)

I rather like his theme. And with his sword rumored to be one of the weapons you can use in the game, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Magnus being in Sm4sh if the Godesses are not considered.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
so should I make my roster here or somewhere else :) I wanna make one with explanations, and I want your guys' take on it.

Pssst... It's characters I want AND that I think would be likely.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah sure post it here. And remember, if you have Impa on it, I'll always give bonus points. ;)

D

Deleted member

If you don't have Impa replace Sheik, you will not be brutally scorned by the rest of the community.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I'm going to go ahead and do this, too. Just for funsies, though. Even though I think we'll be getting more than 15 newcomers (I honestly think we could get as many as 20), I'll stick to the rules.

15 characters, 15 Franchises.
Rules (Spread the characters as you please):
You must have TWO shock/WTF characters (Like, Sheik/ZSS/PT and ROB/G&W)
You must have a new Weapon weidling character
A new heavy character
A new Light character
A character who brings a new gimmick (Peach, IC's, Diddy/Dixie, Olimar, ect)

Super Mario (2) - Toadsworth (Basically just Toad, so don't go flipping out errbody), Bowser Jr. (Absolutely no Shadow Mario. No.)
Yoshi Island/Story - X
Wario Ware/Land - X
Donkey Kong - (1) King K. Rool
Legend Of Zelda (1) - Ghirahim
Kirby Series (1) - Prince Fluff (Transforms on the go for attacks, movement, and pretty much everything a la Epic Yarn)
Pokemon (2) - Mewtwo, N (Cubchoo, Scrafty, Golurk. Or some trio that isn't starters/flavor of the month/legendaries.)
Metroid (1) - Ridley
StarFox - X
F-Zero - X
Fire Emblem (1) - Roy
Mother - X
Kid Icarus - X
Smaller Franchises (4) - Little Mac, Jill Dozer, Tom Nook, Mii
Third Party (2) - Megaman, Professor Layton

Many didn't get in that I really wanted. To be exact, I had to cut 10 from my ideal roster. About half of them are ones that you guys would scoff at for no particular reason, and the other half were just unfortunate...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Of what little I've played of Dillion's Rolling Western, I'm a fan.

Dillion for Sm4sh

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
so should I make my roster here or somewhere else :) I wanna make one with explanations, and I want your guys' take on it.

Go for it. I might make a roster myself then.

One that doesn't just cater to what Shortie thinks is a good roster so I get the highest score above everyone elses. LOL

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I like your tag team idea.

Any guesses on Diddy getting Dixie as a tag team partner? Or simply being her own character? Or simply not being in Smash as a character?
Tag teams are mainly meant for if two characters share the exact same attacks; Ex.: Ice Climbers. Diddy and Dixie are better off as separate entities when you think it over.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tag teams are mainly meant for if two characters share the exact same attacks; Ex.: Ice Climbers. Diddy and Dixie are better off as separate entities when you think it over.
Or: Zelda and Impa.

It's like Zelda and Sheik, but with tag team possibilities, tag team moves, and controll of two characters at once at certain times. :awesome:

You know you'll love it.

Don't be hatin'.

Switch to the Impa side. :cool:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Or: Zelda and Impa.

It's like Zelda and Sheik, but with tag team possibilities, tag team moves, and controll of two characters at once at certain times. :awesome:

You know you'll love it.

Don't be hatin'.

Switch to the Impa side. :cool:
You chased off 2 people(AT LEAST).
You shove it down our throats.
A very minimal amount of people agree with you, if any more than Wildvine(who ended up hating your constancy).
SCREW IMPA.
:glare:
Seriously. Stop it, Diddy. It's irritating as all h***.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Stop making Poppy mad, Diddy

Sure, go ahead and make it, we need some fresh, new perspectives around here anyway

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Metal having a big bro moment, hehee- (-lvl-);

But Poppy has a damn good point!!!!!!! Started to dislike your Impa-ramblings Diddy a lot now these days... why so desperate?

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
So I heard Sakurai has officially started working on Smash4? Well I guess that made my day a little better

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The tag team switch (allowing potentially two attacks; one from either character) works for a potential Diddy/Dixie combo and a Zelda/Impa combo.

For Pokemon I think a vanish and attack method works better (can be used in the air).

The current pokemon instantly disappears and a pokeball comes flying from the background to the spot where the swap occurred. If the pokeball hits the opponent, the next pokemon comes out with an attack. If the pokeball misses, it lands on the ground first, and then the next pokemon pops out.

Example, Bowser goes to forward Smash Ivysaur. Ivysaur's player presses Down B. Ivysaur is sucked back to the trainer and a pokeball comes hurling to where Ivysaur was. It hits Bowser. Charizard comes lunging out with a burst of flame and can follow with another attack.

If the pokeball does not hit Bowser, the ball lands on the ground, Charizard pops out without an attack.
IDK because that limits your possibilities on air combos. You wouldn't be able to do an edgeguard combo to kill someone off for good. It seems like a nice idea, but I can't see it being executed well. Here's what I'm thinking for a little bit of differentiation between the two teams. Zelda/Impa requires that the two to be together. As a result, they share health. When one dies, the health is reset like it has been in the past. For Pokemon Trainer, each Pokemon has its own health so if Charizard dies, Squirtle and Ivysaur still have the damage they've accumulated so far.

If you don't have Impa replace Sheik, you will not be brutally scorned by the rest of the community.
At this point, you guys are more fed up by the Impa "lobbying".

Can you give me a gameplay based to reason as to why they should be kept together?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm just posting a new idea. :/ You don't HAVE to react to me anyway. When I don't like anything, I just ignore it to. Why can't you?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
IDK because that limits your possibilities on air combos. You wouldn't be able to do an edgeguard combo to kill someone off for good. It seems like a nice idea, but I can't see it being executed well. Here's what I'm thinking for a little bit of differentiation between the two teams. Zelda/Impa requires that the two to be together. As a result, they share health. When one dies, the health is reset like it has been in the past. For Pokemon Trainer, each Pokemon has its own health so if Charizard dies, Squirtle and Ivysaur still have the damage they've accumulated so far.
I do like the idea of each pokemon having its own health. Is this balanced?

If a player loses a stock with Charizard, does Pokemon Trainer now only have Squirtle and Ivysaur to rotate with? This might correct any imbalance with this formula and stays with the flavor of pokemon games.

When all three are KO'ed, if you have more stocks than all three come back with zero percentage.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'm just posting a new idea. :/ You don't HAVE to react to me anyway. When I don't like anything, I just ignore it to. Why can't you?
It's kinda hard to ignore when you bring it up every 20 seconds...

@Bowserlick: I like that idea. Have to get good with all 3 Pokes. And it basically eliminates the force switch problem since you can't use the Pokemon again until all 3 are KO'd anyway. Good idea. :)

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
**** Impa

Can't we seriously just move on and go at least one week without having to see that name said?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hmm am not too sure if they should do that.. Am in trouble deciding if Zelda / Impa would have the same thing, but am guessing not... Another thing that could change this is have each character have an own set of stocks?? Say if you play with 6 Stocks.. 2 x Squirtle, 2 x Ivysaur and 2 x Charizard or 3 x Zelda and 3 x Impa. It could work...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I do like the idea of each pokemon having its own health. Is this balanced?

If a player loses a stock with Charizard, does Pokemon Trainer now only have Squirtle and Ivysaur to rotate with? This might correct any imbalance with this formula and stays with the flavor of pokemon games.

When all three are KO'ed, if you have more stocks than all three come back with zero percentage.
Well, you never know if something is balanced until you test it. Before balancing, imo, it's best to try to come up with something theoretically balanced.

Remember how your party members in Kingdom Hearts would be temporarily knocked out, but get back up soon enough to keep fighting? That's what I think could be done for the Pokemon. While your idea is most definitely faithful to the Pokemon games, this is where I'd take creative liberties for the sake of balance. Something tells me if you were to go by your idea, that would put the Pokemon Trainer towards the suck end of the spectrum. This would still encourage the Pokemon Trainer player to use all three Pokemon.

I think that's one of the key issues behind that aspect of the Zelda and PT designs. There was more forcing and not enough incentive to swap out.

@Diddy
Then what if you have an odd number of stocks? I think the sharing stock approach is the simplest and best option here.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Zelda and Sheik could as well be different characters, no one would notice... :/ Pokémon Trainer did the switching better, but too bad it had to come with stuff like stamina and leaving yourself open too much. What's the problem with switching in say, in mid air?? Either change the way the Pokémon Switch (aka, much faster) or make them not switch at all.

Hate on Impa all you like, but at least she'll bring balance and uniqueness to an otherwise dead character... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom