• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Because a remake means they're relevant once more. Right.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
And Skyward Sword hasn't been kept in high regard?

Really, guys. OoT happened fourteen years ago. Move on. There's more to Zelda than that game.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Well, you never know if something is balanced until you test it. Before balancing, imo, it's best to try to come up with something theoretically balanced.

Remember how your party members in Kingdom Hearts would be temporarily knocked out, but get back up soon enough to keep fighting? That's what I think could be done for the Pokemon. While your idea is most definitely faithful to the Pokemon games, this is where I'd take creative liberties for the sake of balance. Something tells me if you were to go by your idea, that would put the Pokemon Trainer towards the suck end of the spectrum. This would still encourage the Pokemon Trainer player to use all three Pokemon.

I think that's one of the key issues behind that aspect of the Zelda and PT designs. There was more forcing and not enough incentive to swap out.
Each pokemon having its own health and resetting to zero after being knocked out and losing a stock can still be balanced, if each pokemon keeps their glaring weaknesses.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Hate on Impa all you like, but at least she'll bring balance and uniqueness to an otherwise dead character... :/
I don't care about balance, relevance, or anything like that. I'm a casual. Always have been. If Impa was a unique character with her own slot, I'd be fine with her. When cutting Sheik comes into play, THEN AND ONLY THEN do I have a problem. And how would Impa over Sheik be more unique? Tag team(both at once): Ice Climbers did it first. Transformation/Switch out: Zelda/SHEIK did it first. I don't see how Zelda/Impa would be unique AT ALL. Give me an actual reason.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Sheik is cut, she will be replaced by Impa's model, but would retain all to almost all of Sheik's moves. I can't imagine Sheik and Impa both in the game (except for palette/model swap).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Kept in high regard? Lol, the game ain't even been out 4 months yet :laugh:
True. I still don't see how OoT being held in high regard means anything. Super Mario Bros. is held in high regard and they didn't limit their material to just that game for Smash.

Because relevance actually means something. Right.
Thank you for reminding me. That means then OoT3D granting Sheik relevance as an argument is irrelevant. It depends on what Sakurai and co. wants to do with the characters.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You guys still do not get it. This belief that once a character is "outdated" should be removed is cut from the same cloth as those who believe that a character being new somehow carries with it priority. Crazy.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Honestly, I agree, OoT isn't the only good game in the series that deserves content in Smash

Majora's Mask needs some love too (I know Melee showed it some, but still)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Star
At least I'm not arguing Impa being in on the fact that she was in the newest Zelda game.

@Metal
I could go for Link's Awakening love. We need Ballad of the Windfish.

Drakkardnoir

Smash Rookie
OoT 3d doesn't mean anything, SS doesn't mean anything. If you were able to show me where we've seen a tag team in Smash I'd take Impa seriously.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
OoT 3d doesn't mean anything, SS doesn't mean anything. If you were able to show me where we've seen a tag team in Smash I'd take Impa seriously.
Ice Climbers. But I think that hurts Diddy's argument, since he says that that would make Impa more unique.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Zamus was about representation. Sakurai wanted another character to represent the Metroid series and for some reason didn't think Ridley would work.
Reminds me of A Christmas Story

Everyone telling him he'll shoot his eye out

Everyone said "Ridley is too big" but the Ridley fans prevailed their assault. Only for Sakurai to say "Ridley is too big"

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
... Or maybe Sakurai just thought Zamus was a cool addition to the roster and that people would have fun playing as her. I think people really overthink these kinds of tihngs

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's the thing. It's never been done.

... Or maybe Sakurai just thought Zamus was a cool addition to the roster. I think people really overthink these kinds of things
THINK?!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Reminds me of A Christmas Story

Everyone telling him he'll shoot his eye out

Everyone said "Ridley is too big" but the Ridley fans prevailed their assault. Only for Sakurai to say "Ridley is too big"
Nice analogy! My dad loves that movie. I bought him the leg lamp for his birthday.

Hopefully, Ridley will make the cut this time.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Zamus was about representation. Sakurai wanted another character to represent the Metroid series and for some reason didn't think Ridley would work.
So? That is one character out of how many? Point is is somewhere along the masses developed this idea that characters are about representation, and therefore are subjugated to arbitrary rules that truly have no precedent. Yet when I tell people that stages, trophies, items and other things count towards representation then somehow that does not count.

D

Deleted member

So? That is one character out of how many? Point is is somewhere along the masses developed this idea that characters are about representation, and therefore are subjugated to arbitrary rules that truly have no precedent. Yet when I tell people that stages, trophies, items and other things count towards representation then somehow that does not count.
A common argument is going to be about Pokemon and Fire Emblem requiring representation from the latest in the series.
EDIT: Not that I support that argument. I find it a load of barnacles.

Drakkardnoir

Smash Rookie
Exactly. Making an old character into a tag team is stupid. Couldn't even get it to work for Diddy and Dixie (they've actually been a tag team)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Well, Zamus kills the other notion that representation is not a factor. There are several reasons why characters get in. Representation was a reason for Zamus's inclusion.

I am pretty sure Sakurai explained this in an interview. That is also why there are also many Metroid stages.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I told someone on YouTube that about Deoxys. They said, and I quote, "Yeah, but that's not enough! He has to be playable!"

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Exactly. Making an old character into a tag team is stupid. Couldn't even get it to work for Diddy and Dixie (they've actually been a tag team)
We don't know the exact reasons behind why Diddy and Dixie didn't work.

And why is making an old character into a tag team stupid?

D

Deleted member

Bowserlick, the reason why Zamus was chosen was because he wanted to include more Metroid characters.
It wasn't to "represent" anything, as Zamus would honestly only represent Zero Mission (at the time of Brawl).

The stages and the fact Ridley is a boss twice is pretty much to compensate for the series' lack of playable characters. Essentially giving Metroid what it's due outside of characters.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
A common argument is going to be about Pokemon and Fire Emblem requiring representation from the latest in the series.
EDIT: Not that I support that argument. I find it a load of barnacles.
Even then, the "pattern" they hold to is so very thin that it almost falls on circumstance rather than precedent.

Well, Zamus kills the other notion that representation is not a factor. There are several reasons why characters get in. Representation was a reason for Zamus's inclusion.

I am pretty sure Sakurai explained this in an interview. That is also why there are also many Metroid stages.
Not really.

Also, your last sentence is what I was getting at originally.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Bowserlick, the reason why Zamus was chosen was because he wanted to include more Metroid characters.
It wasn't to "represent" anything, as Zamus would honestly only represent Zero Mission (at the time of Brawl).

The stages and the fact Ridley is a boss twice is pretty much to compensate for the series' lack of playable characters. Essentially giving Metroid what it's due outside of characters.
He wanted another character to represent a popular series that didn't have many characters that could be playable. So he dug and dug until he found Zamus. He was hunting for a character to represent a large franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom