• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizby2

Smash Lord
What are the things that make Smash unique from other fighting games? If a new mechanic or ten were added to Smash, these mechanics would remind the audience that the game is still Smash at its core. I want to see these core mechanics/aspects identified.

Note, simplified inputs don't count.

i think smash is unique because of the button combonations to perform moves.
theres so many moves yet they're all so simple to pull off. (like up+B or Down+A.)

i HATE to contrast the two.. but moves in games like MK or ST are just too confusing for most casual gamers to do, but smash makes that task a cinch. it gives players more time to think what to do next.

its also REALLY hard to forget the 4 specials that each character has, so players can pick up more than just a single character to play and enjoy.~:bee:

Kolorado

Smash Apprentice
@KumaOsa
Yeah, I shouldn't judge Pandora since I haven't played the game yet, but it seems whenever people have played the demos nobody has been able to use it effectively.

Back to Smash Bros., what do you all think about the possibility of customizable characters? Maybe something like the stickers in SSE, but for all modes? Or, even better, what about customizable movesets? I would love it if my Mario could be different than your Mario. I think it would add more depth without adding any complication.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
i think smash is unique because of the button combonations to perform moves.
theres so many moves yet they're all so simple to pull off. (like up+B or Down+A.)

i HATE to contrast the two.. but moves in games like MK or ST are just too confusing for most casual gamers to do, but smash makes that task a cinch. it gives players more time to think what to do next.

its also REALLY hard to forget the 4 specials that each character has, so players can pick up more than just a single character to play and enjoy.~:bee:
They aren't so much confusing as they're just awkward at first. Learning the ST-type inputs is like riding a bike. Hard to do at first, but once you get it down, you never forget it.

And I said simplified inputs don't count. The fact that SFxTK's easy input gems are seeking to use this as training wheels for newer players tells me it's not that distinguishable of an aspect to Smash.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You know what this thread reminds me of? Power On, except with out all the little kids spamming to increase their forum ranks. Nothing like that Koopa status.

grizby2

Smash Lord
They aren't so much confusing as they're just awkward at first. Learning the ST-type inputs is like riding a bike. Hard to do at first, but once you get it down, you never forget it.

And I said simplified inputs don't count. The fact that SFxTK's easy input gems are seeking to use this as training wheels for newer players tells me it's not that distinguishable of an aspect to Smash.

well i tried.
just hate to see a good topic go to waste d--(^-^)z

personally, i dont prefer to talk about mechanics too much (let alone ADDING them) because it always tends to bend toward how people can "get around" them. :urg:

adding mechanics is something i cant talk about. discussing on "CHANGING them a bit" is more something i would dive into.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
You know I've been thinking I'd take this guy over Victini, Genesect, and Zoroark any day.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
well i tried.
just hate to see a good topic go to waste d--(^-^)z

personally, i dont prefer to talk about mechanics too much (let alone ADDING them) because it always tends to bend toward how people can "get around" them. :urg:

adding mechanics is something i cant talk about. discussing on "CHANGING them a bit" is more something i would dive into.
"Get around" them?

As for changing a mechanic, what would you suggest? The one thing I'd change is switch stale moves out for damage scaling.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
You know what this thread reminds me of? Power On, except with out all the little kids spamming to increase their forum ranks. Nothing like that Koopa status.
Now, Star. You and everyone else already knows I don't give two ****s about my ranking. *leaves little kid isle and continues to the Pokemon Nerd isle*
You know I've been thinking I'd take this guy over Victini, Genesect, and Zoroark any day.

Besides the fact that I'd tear you in half alive just for saying that, I'd rather choose this guy:

Hydreigon.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Meh.. Haxorus is way better in game Hydreigon is way too hard to get I don't think I've ever actually had one.

Anyway I think I might have said this before over the summer time but I think it would be pretty neat if that added some type of Online Tournament Mode in Smash 4.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Meh.. Haxorus is way better in game Hydreigon is way too hard to get I don't think I've ever actually had one.

Anyway I think I might have said this before over the summer time but I think it would be pretty neat if that added some type of Online Tournament Mode in Smash 4.
*puts on game face* It's on.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature, EVs: 4 HP, 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed
Ability: Levitate
Moves:
U-Turn
Fire Blast
Dragon Pulse
Dark Pulse
OHKO Dragon Pulse and first strike due to Choice Scarf. *takes game face off*

As for Online Tournies... They better be lagless.. or at least BETTER.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Hydreigon>Haxorus to the ****ing max. Haxorus looks like he was designed by a 10 year old.

Medicham for Smash 4?

:phone:

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
Y'know, I was thinking perhaps a damage system that a random percentage (from 100% to higher, assuming you're on launch mode 1, up to 300% I guess, not applicable on SDs) would enable specific boosts of power. For example, Mario would have a double firing rate, firing two fireballs at the time it would take normally for a second fireball to be launched after the first one. Essentially, half the time taken to fire the balls, but a greater cool down period. Pikachu for example, while in that mode, gets more powerful attacks at the cost of hurting himself (referencing Pichu at the same time). Falcon on the other hand has a decreased Falcon Punch setup time, but balanced by having it do less damage.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I also vote for one week of no gameplay mechanics discussion, as THAT leads to opening another can of stupidity. Especially when the gameplay mechanics discussion ALWAYS lead to examples from Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom, Tekken, and the like.
I'm all for that. There is too much SF talk on a Smash Brothers thread.

SmashChu?
You rang?

For the record, my things are sales and killing the whole "Lets add thingy from SF verse Loony Toons in Smash."

Let's replace all weeks with Ridley praise weeks.
I'm all for this. It will be a great week.

This isn't so much speculation for what I'm suggesting, but more for the benefit of the posters in this thread.

What are the things that make Smash unique from other fighting games? If a new mechanic or ten were added to Smash, these mechanics would remind the audience that the game is still Smash at its core. I want to see these core mechanics/aspects identified.

Note, simplified inputs don't count.
Note what you are saying we are trying to trick them. Really, you want to trick them into playing the game you like.

Tip #1 about game development. You are dumber than your users. Don't try to "remind," them about Smash. Just give them freakin' Smash and roll with that. This is just another example of you playing Smash brothers as SF rather than actually understand Smash and like it for what it is.

Correction: They shouldn't count. The fighting game genre is so ****ed up right now and has been since the mid to late 90s. Fighting games need Smash controls and to take ideas from it. Iwata Ask for Tekken on the 3DS seems to show that these guys notice. What they need to do is think less like Kuma and think more like Sakurai. Guy is successful for a reason.

Fact is, fighting game controls just suck. They are too awkward which is why no one buys them. They aren't going to waste their time with learning the controls. They want to have fun. This is the big take away. Just look at how a lot of people in this thread talk.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Medicham is the only fighting type I ever liked!

Meditating Kung Fu master>gender bent Gardevoir.

While I must say that I prefer Gallade to Medicham, I do love it when you post, because I get to gaze upon your glorious signature.

Ahhh... Hershel.

@Decemberist Then you'd love the trio I devised for a 5th gen Pokemon Trainer; or, at least you'll like one third of it. I've pretty much been posting it to the point of spam today (I should probably watch that...):

Cubchoo (little guy, quick but no brute strength in the air, great range with his ice-mucus projectiles, good at immobilizing opponents), SCRAFTY (middle-sized, medium-slow speed, great/rapid kicking aerials, strong but slow smashes, tricky movements and dodges, great at juggling opponents), Golurk (big ol' fella, perhaps the slowest running speed in the game, air game only useful at high altitudes, very dynamic ground game works around flexible and quick tilts, Smashes are unbelievably strong, very good for quick kills if he needles the opponent with tilts.)

I love me some Glourk. Damn, it's so sexy.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You rang?

For the record, my things are sales and killing the whole "Lets add thingy from SF verse Loony Toons in Smash."
I see, and I thought it was just anti-Kuma stuff. :smirk:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
He just likes to **** on me whenever he can. Honestly, it's becoming more and more that he hates me more than my ideas.

And I could call out on more ****ty ideas in this thread than I care to count, but I just let it slide. I could argue that people were trying to turn Smash into Pokemon.

Madame puff

Smash Journeyman
It seems every time I visit this thread Pokemon is the main thing. I know there are a lot of possibilities for Pokemon in this game, but it'd be nice to see some discussions about another genre.
YES I SAID IT. :)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't like this place, but I need to think about my poll's well being.

I can't even think of anything to say...

Uhm, oh, I find it sort of silly, but understandable, that people want Mewtwo back, just to not play as him. Kind of silly, even if he should be in the game.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
For the record I think pretty much every discussion in this thread is rather silly, but what do I know. At least by the time E3 rolls around this place will become packed in anticipation for a possible trailer.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hey Shortie, might want to change Chrome's name to Krom. It seems like that is the proper pronunciation and translation of his name.

Anybody want a sig?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Meh, I find this thread to either be silly or so serious it's stupid. Makes me wonder what keeps me coming back here though...

Uhm, oh, I find it sort of silly, but understandable, that people want Mewtwo back, just to not play as him. Kind of silly, even if he should be in the game.
Wait, who doesn't want to play as Mewtwo? He was tons of fun in Melee.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Probably because I'm not too interested in a lot of the other topics. Of course, Kuma says some ridiculous stuff.

He just likes to **** on me whenever he can. Honestly, it's becoming more and more that he hates me more than my ideas.

And I could call out on more ****ty ideas in this thread than I care to count, but I just let it slide. I could argue that people were trying to turn Smash into Pokemon.
No. it's pretty much because you say dumb things. Nothing more than that. The problem is that rather than defend your argument better or try to see the other side, you do the same thing. So we just keep going though the motions.

For the record I think pretty much every discussion in this thread is rather silly, but what do I know. At least by the time E3 rolls around this place will become packed in anticipation for a possible trailer.
Agreed. It's what got this thread bumpin' in the first place.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hey Star, have you made a KOS-MOS sig by any chance?

Nope, if that is a request I can get around to trying one tomorrow. Been making some sigs as I have been experimenting with different gradient maps and lighting techniques. Next I am going to try experimenting with blur and depth.

Agreed. It's what got this thread bumpin' in the first place.
Yep, although originally the pace of the thread at E3 was too much for me. I will probably end up going to one of the backrooms when that happens. I cannot keep up when you have thirty users are making two posts per minute. That or I'll head to Nsider.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I tried bringing up F-Zero characters other than Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow that would make a cool playable character as a topic, but my efforts were futile. lol
That is because Samurai Goroh is awesome... ;) :cool: :smirk:
The Masterpiece collection took up ~48.4 megabytes on the game disc. Probably higher on the Japanese discs as they have Fire Emblem and Earthbound.

Still surprised no one hacked Earthbound out of a Japanese disc.
Me too. I dunno about you, but I would want to play that game. Especially given that it still isn't on the Virtual Console yet!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Also, the "Masterpiece" game space wouldn't take up too much space on newer Wii U discs (especially if it could store anywhere from 20-60 GB like some reports have stated).
I wish Olimar was gone. I hate his playstyle.
Nah I like Olimar's play style. I've faced a few good Olimars (the ones that don't camp, since... well... Olimar sucks at long term camping), and they were amongst the funnest matches of Brawl I've ever had. I just think Brawl's physics, balance, and game play made Olimar a bit "off." If you put Olimar in a more offensive game, you give him a better recovery, and don't give Olimar any more long-range options that he can camp with.
Technically, Twinrova herself is the surrogate mother, not either of the sisters. That'd be a bit too weird. Still doesn't explain the father. In addition, it suggests that his father was married to someone else.
Zelda is obviously Ganondorf's father, lolololol!!!
I've also been thinking. Pretty sure Marth and Ike will both be the recipients of an aesthetic change in Smash 4. We will have Shadow Dragon Marth and Manly Dawn Brigade Ike.
I think that we will see FE10 Ike be the default (while his Brawl/FE9-self will be the alternate). However, I think Marth will stay (relatively) the same. His Shadow Dragon look (and classic look) might be an alternate costume, but that is about it. Marth's Melee/Brawl/FE1 look is too... "classic" to really make anything but the default by now.
Anyone else miss Ness's Melee Fanfare?

If each character gets their own, Ness should get that back, and Lucas can keep the current one. :ness2: :lucas:
Actually Brawl's EarthBound/MOTHER victory fanfare is actually from MOTHER 1 (the Eight Melodies). If Lucas wanted his own theme, it would be something from the MOTHER 3 Love Theme. Personally, I don't care if Lucas gets a MOTHER 3 theme or keeps this one, as long as Ness gets the EarthBound Eight Sound Stones theme.

Each character getting their own theme song/version of a theme song = awesome. I want to hear Ganondorf have his theme, DANG IT!!!
Fact is, fighting game controls just suck. They are too awkward which is why no one buys them. They aren't going to waste their time with learning the controls. They want to have fun. This is the big take away. Just look at how a lot of people in this thread talk.
Agreed. That is why not many people are into fighting games. They are fun at first, but there are so many ridiculous attacks and awkward positions your hands have to go into. With Smash Bros, you never have that with a N64 or a Gamecube controller.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Hey Shortie, might want to change Chrome's name to Krom. It seems like that is the proper pronunciation and translation of his name.

Anybody want a sig?
A sig of what? I wouldn't mind something pertaining to SHORTS specifically, but if it's of Krom, I'll pass, lol.

And okayyy, I'll do that. Do you know Elza and Kanan's Engrish names as well? Might as well do an Elza/Eglish Name Kanan/English Name for now, and later take off Elza/Kanan.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't know why SSBF bailed. His given reason was that he came to the conclusion that Victini was unlikely, and that this made him drop his Smash 4 hype massively. However, he does not realize that many, many people were gravitating toward the idea of Victini as an alternative to Zoroark (especially due to his efforts). He also does not realize that he basically has another year to build up Victini's fanbase since neither Genesect or Meloetta were going to be in 2012's Pokemon movie. Its closing in on a week since he last signed in.
He'll be back in a few weeks or months. Don't expect him back anytime soon.
I don't know. The flippers were neat and all, but they seemed like they were going out of their way to replace a cool item for no good reason.

I'd rather stick with the old unless they can find a GOOD revamp.
The Smash 64 bumper is the one of the best smash bros items ever. The Melee flipper is cool I guess. The Brawl bumper is just plain boring and stupid. In fact, most of Brawl's items really, really, REALLY SUCKS!!!
I would like to see PT be called Red too :3
I prefer "The Pokémon Trainer Red." Even if they called him "Red" just to give him a "name" that would be cool. Personally, I would like to see multiple Pokémon Trainers (each with different names on their trophies), but the same 3 Pokémon for each (Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard).
Rock Smash is pretty damn 3rd gen to me... So is Bullet Seed.
Actually Rock Smash is 2nd gen. You have to use it to get through Dark Cave... :embarrass: Yes I am nitpicking like a d**k! :laugh:
That reminds me, mechanics discussion doesn't make this thread any less crappy, it just makes it more boring crap. :troll:
Unless I give my awesome ideas (foot stool hops do a super spike at 150% for the win!!! Or the ability to tech/wall tech/roof tech into an attack!!!)... :troll:
Let's replace all weeks with Ridley praise weeks.
/thread.

Some of you (regular posting) guys have been fighting a lot. Whether it is from boredom, letting your emotions getting the best of you, or refusing to accept disagreement, it has gotten rather silly. If you guys want the newer posters to be of high quality and this thread to be of a high quality, then you ought to have a high quality respect.

Anyways, we ought to have a seriously serious alternate outfit/costume discussion... tomorrow. You know, which ones are realistic, which ones aren't, etc. I'll post tomorrow guys.
~His Knightliness Himself~,
-Johnnight1

P.S.: Hey Shorts, anything happen interesting on your polls=???

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
A sig of what? I wouldn't mind something pertaining to SHORTS specifically, but if it's of Krom, I'll pass, lol.

And okayyy, I'll do that. Do you know Elza and Kanan's Engrish names as well? Might as well do an Elza/Eglish Name Kanan/English Name for now, and later take off Elza/Kanan.
Anything. I am just taking requests for signatures.

Yeah it look likes Elza's name changed to Zael (yay anagrams) and Kanan's name changed to Calista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom