• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No point. A PT can hold six Pokemon anyway.

:phone:
Yeah, but if you're going to have the option for another playstyle set, just make another one. It's not like another Pokemon Trainer would be so animation heavy.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
N. N all the mothaf*cking way. One of the most interesting, developed characters in the history of Pokémon games.

I've seen many suggest that he take Victini, Zoroark, and Genesect, which would be fine if they made Zoroark more medium-sized, and Genesect as tall and heavy as Charizard (he is a Steel-type, after all). The Trainer idea works best when there's a small, medium, and large.

Of course, I wouldn't be opposed to N taking three other Pokémon from 5th gen (Cubchoo, Scrafty, and Golurk have my vote).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
THAT'S MY IDEA ALREADY BACK OFF!! :mad:

I only called him Yellow. Who's Eagun anyway?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If you mean calling PT Yellow, Yellow's a girl. The one in Pokemon Yellow itself is still Red.(and technically Ash if you want to stretch it) Yellow isn't actually playable in the games. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I played Collosseum, how come I don't know about him?

I know yellow is no real trainer in the games, but just make it Red instead and unofficially call him Yellow, problem solved. :rolleyes:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
No point. A PT can hold six Pokemon anyway.

Ew, let's keep them seperate. People like me would kill everyone if that mess was created.

Pokemon Trainer Kanto (Squirt/Ivy/Char)
Pokemon Trainer Unova, (Sniv/Sam/Em FS: Victini) (To play as Victini from the begining is the same way you play as ZSS from the begining)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I played Collosseum, how come I don't know about him?

I know yellow is no real trainer in the games, but just make it Red instead and unofficially call him Yellow, problem solved. :rolleyes:

Or just call him Pokemon Trainer, since he reps them all, not just Red(the top one).

I like the generic idea better. Almost all the Pokemon are generic anyway... wait, they all are. Yeah. Mewtwo, maybe, isn't. But that's... it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't remember an Eagun, wasn't Colosseum's guy Wes?
In XD anyway, Eagun was an old sage with the Pikachu family that lived in the tree place, that's name actually escapes me...

yani

Smash Lord
Ew, let's keep them seperate. People like me would kill everyone if that mess was created.
It would just annoy me to see two trainers on the roster. I feel giving him a switch between Kanto & Hoenn bangs out a whole 3rd gen rep, while keeping the beloved 1st gens.

Thanks Opossum, never played XD

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273

Pokemon Trainer Kanto (Squirt/Ivy/Char)
Pokemon Trainer Unova, (Sniv/Sam/Em FS: Victini) (To play as Victini from the begining is the same way you play as ZSS from the begining)
If we see another trainer, I pray to Arceus that it isn't another starter combo. We need more types represented, and more depth of representation. Cubchoo, Scrafty, Golurk would allow me to die happy. There you have three Pokemon that are varied in size, reasonably recognizable/popular, and they bring completely new types to Smash that have never been playable (Ice, Dark, Ghost/Ground). Plus we could all die from cuteness overload when Cubchoo sneezes.

However, I'd take another starter trio over no new trainer at all. Did you mean Snivy, Dewott, Emboar? Having two fully evolved starters wouldn't be very fair...

And I would be all for renaming Pokemon Trainer "Red" in Smash 4. Something about ambiguity just makes me sad. I mean, the manga (and everything else) are based off of the games, so that's where "Red" comes from in the manga. It's just the default name for the trainer, and that would make me a happy Breadbug.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Wes >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Michael

Fact. Oh, and Eagun is the old guy who's a retired Pokemon trainer and he lives in Agate Village (in Pokemon Colosseum and XD). You know, the old guy with the Pikachu that you had to visit to get a Master Ball in Colosseum, IIRC

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And I would be all for renaming Pokemon Trainer "Red" in Smash 4. Something about ambiguity just makes me sad. I mean, the manga (and everything else) are based off of the games, so that's where "Red" comes from in the manga. It's just the default name for the trainer, and that would make me a happy Breadbug.
You realize the name Ash was actually from the games too, right? It was an option. It was incorporated into the English Anime.

And no, because that's not Red anyway. I'd rather it be Pokemon Trainer, since he reps all existing trainers by himself. I find that a lot better than giving one trainer some special treatment, especially when there's no reason to. Likewise, Red had all his Pokemon(save Pikachu) fully evolved. That's not the case with PT.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Of course not. Pokemon Yellow, however, is another story. It's based completely off the Anime, so that could indeed be Ash instead.

Also, Red isn't in Pokemon Puzzle League either. :p

Then again, Red isn't actually in Brawl.
Never mind then about the manga. Your loss. :p

I'm not sure about what you're trying to say with your other points though. But then again what does any of this have to do with Smash? lol

EDIT: I gotta agree with Breadbug. He should get his original name back. It's like calling Link the "nameless swordsmen" or Ness/Lucas "some random kid."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You can name Ness, you only get the name Ness if you hit "Don't care" option, and Ness isn't the only name from that.

I don't see why they didn't name him "Red"

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
You realize the name Ash was actually from the games too, right? It was an option. It was incorporated into the English Anime.

And no, because that's not Red anyway. I'd rather it be Pokemon Trainer, since he reps all existing trainers by himself. I find that a lot better than giving one trainer some special treatment, especially when there's no reason to. Likewise, Red had all his Pokemon(save Pikachu) fully evolved. That's not the case with PT.
I know that Pokemon Trainer isn't the Red featured in the narratives of Gold/Silver, but there could be countless Reds. Just like there are countless Links (another character whose name you can change).

If they want to call him Ash, then cool beans, just give him a name. It isn't really special treatment if they do.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@Metal: Agate Village! That was the name. xD

@ Red Discussion: I'd actually like him being "Red." After all, he was canonically called it in Gold, Silver, Crystal, Stadium 2, HeartGold, and SoulSilver.

@Giant Breadbug: Wow. This entire time, I thought your name was Giant BreadBOX. Being a Pikmin fan, I now feel like an idiot. Especially considering I called you Giant Breadbox on a few occasions.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
@Metal: Agate Village! That was the name. xD

@ Red Discussion: I'd actually like him being "Red." After all, he was canonically called it in Gold, Silver, Crystal, Stadium 2, HeartGold, and SoulSilver.

@Giant Breadbug: Wow. This entire time, I thought your name was Giant BreadBOX. Being a Pikmin fan, I now feel like an idiot. Especially considering I called you Giant Breadbox on a few occasions.
No worries. I've forgotten all about it.

I really wanted something cool, like Waterwraith or Titan Dweevil, but they were taken... :(

And I think the issue Falcon has with calling him Red is that the Red from Gold/Silver was a hardened, tough trainer with Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise, where the one we have now is just a random trainer, which is a good point.

I still want him to have a name, though. Red would do just fine. Not that it has to be that Red.

Kolorado

Smash Apprentice
I skimmed the latest meter discussion briefly. Meter has a lot of depth behind it if done right. Consider it like MP. It's not stupid or anything like that. Now, if it was like X-Factor....
Maybe the Nintendo characters will get meters when they release Capcom vs Nintendo. But no X-Factor. And definitley no Pandora Mode! Gems however...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No worries. I've forgotten all about it.

I really wanted something cool, like Waterwraith or Titan Dweevil, but they were taken... :(

And I think the issue Falcon has with calling him Red is that the Red from Gold/Silver was a hardened, tough trainer with Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise, where the one we have now is just a random trainer, which is a good point.

I still want him to have a name, though. Red would do just fine. Not that it has to be that Red.
Perhaps it could be him prior to fully evolving Ivysaur and Squirtle? I'm just grasping at straws, aren't I? xD That is a pretty valid point.

On another thing you said, I currently have a list of Pikmin things that I'd like to see on Smash 4, and I want to include the Waterwraith somehow. I currently have the Burrowing Snagret and Louie riding the Titan Dweevil as Assist Trophies, the Bulbmin as an item a la Mr. Saturn, and Emperor Bulblax as a boss.

Where do you think he'd fit best?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Never mind then about the manga. Your loss. :p

I'm not sure about what you're trying to say with your other points though. But then again what does any of this have to do with Smash? lol

EDIT: I gotta agree with Breadbug. He should get his original name back. It's like calling Link the "nameless swordsmen" or Ness/Lucas "some random kid."
Red is not in Brawl. That's my point. They shouldn't give a name to a character that's not in there.

He's a mash-up of all Pokemon Trainers while using Red's DESIGN. Red is not in Smash.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Hmmm... If I'm being greedy with my bosses, I'd put it in that category. There would have to be some really clever way to beat him, just like in Pikmin.

I suppose it really depends on the scope of the Story Mode this time around. Myself, I'd like to see a huge, mind-blowingly long and complex story mode (SSE was nice, but had a lot of room for improvement), and I don't think it's too unrealistic to think that we could get one. If that's the case, then maybe Waterwraith as a kind of mini/midlevel boss?

Perhaps a stage hazard, too. One of my Pikmin stage concepts is a Castle Siege-esque trip down several underground levels (a-la Pikmin 2), where the floor falls out from under the players until they reach the bottom, then the geyser takes them back to the top. The Waterwraith would be an excellent stage hazard for that concept.

He needs to get a cameo in some way shape or form, other than a regular ol' trophy. Dat cry...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Red is not in Brawl. That's my point. They shouldn't give a name to a character that's not in there.

He's a mash-up of all Pokemon Trainers while using Red's DESIGN. Red is not in Smash.
Looks like Red, talks like Red, and uses the starter Pokemon associated with Red.

IMO he's Red, but it's okay if you think otherwise, this is all subjective anyway. Besides it's not like you actually play as him. lol

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Looks like Red, talks like Red, and uses the starter Pokemon associated with Red.

IMO he's Red, but it's okay if you think otherwise, this is all subjective anyway. Besides it's not like you actually play as him. lol
If he was Red, he'd be called that way. And no, he doesn't talk like Red either. Those were just put in to make him sound cooler. It's just Pokemon Trainer.

It's the same problem as assuming Toon Sheik was meant to be Tetra. Name is specific for a reason.

And he doesn't use Red's same Pokemon. Red uses the fully evolved forms during the only specific canon time you fought him. PT uses a mixup of evolution, to separate him from the inspiration. This is just as bad as calling Red... Ash. They're all separate characters, both inspired by Red.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
If he was Red, he'd be called that way. And no, he doesn't talk like Red either. Those were just put in to make him sound cooler. It's just Pokemon Trainer.

It's the same problem as assuming Toon Sheik was meant to be Tetra. Name is specific for a reason.

And he doesn't use Red's same Pokemon. Red uses the fully evolved forms during the only specific canon time you fought him. PT uses a mixup of evolution, to separate him from the inspiration. This is just as bad as calling Red... Ash. They're all separate characters, both inspired by Red.
The thing of it is, there isn't just one Red. I don't know about everyone else, but I am perfectly aware that Pokemon Trainer is not Red from Gold/Silver. That doesn't mean he can't be just some other Red.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@HF: I think you're being a bit too serious with this whole name thing.

Some of us just want to see him being called Red because that's who he is designed after and uses Pokemon that are associated with him/his games.

It's all subjective. Some people see him as Red, some see him as Ash, some see him as some random PT. Throw in the fact that there are multiple versions of the chracter "Red" (there's multiple manga Reds, a Red (not Ash) appeared in the anime, Red in the games, ect.). It's an open ended question where no one is wrong.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing of it is, there isn't just one Red. I don't know about everyone else, but I am perfectly aware that Pokemon Trainer is not Red from Gold/Silver. That doesn't mean he can't be just some other Red.
No, there's never been more than one Red.

There is Ash and Pokemon Trainer, both inspired from him. But the Red in Gold/Silver/Crystal is the same one canonically from Red/Blue/Green(and POSSIBLY Yellow).

@Mewthree: The reason they didn't is because clearly Sakurai wanted PT to represent the series as a whole himself, while he was just an inspiration. I don't believe naming him Red will do anything good either. That means that they can't give him alternate costumes for characters like Leaf.

@Yani: ...Wow.

grizby2

Smash Lord
the only reason i think that they called him "Red" in gold version was because i thought nintendo was just trying to insinuate at the fact that it was most likely THE original trainer from the Red/Blue series.
traditionally, any average kid might have named him "ash." back then.
and i found it odd that he had a lvl 81 pikachu, which is usually seen as his strongest pokemon (or at least then one that WOULD have the highest level.)

but im not a pokemon expert :] (really im not)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
the only reason i think that they called him "Red" in gold version was because i thought nintendo was just trying to insinuate at the fact that it was most likely THE original trainer from the Red/Blue series.
traditionally, any average kid might have named him "ash." back then.
and i found it odd that he had a lvl 81 pikachu, which is usually seen as his strongest pokemon (or at least then one that WOULD have the highest level.)

but im not a pokemon expert :] (really im not)
Or to connect the actual stories. All the stories are supposed to be connected in order(not counting the spinoffs), atleast from what I can tell.

Remember, past characters make appearances in later games, so they're all canonically connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom