• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Different...personality...? It's ****ing MARIO, dude. How in the Hell can Mario have a different personality while he's made out of paper?
And same could be said for Doc, he's busy looking for cures for the common cold and trying to save lives within the Mushroom Kingdom.
He doesn't have the same "personality" as the carefree, adventurous Mario. He's more serious. (While still showing a sense of humor)
And that's just a sack of crap. Same with Paper Mario having a different personality than "Non-Paper" Mario. It's not like Link and Toon Link, where, they are LITERALLY, different people that take the name "Link".

He also has Doctor tools, such as his stethoscope, defibulator, syringes, etc. As ChronoBound proved, Doc can be unique if effort was put into it.

Not trying to shut down the idea of Paper Mario, as he would be an interesting character IMO, but something as absurd as a "different personality" irks me that people would try to argue.
I'm not using it as a reason he should get in, I'm just using it to set him apart. And yes, he does. Trust me, I've played every Paper Mario game. He at LEAST has MORE personality than 3D Mario. Paper Mario freaks out easily, falls asleep during long-winded speeches that are actually important, and teams up with the villains occasionally(Bowser in SPM and Vivian in TTYD).
And like I said, I'm just trying to set him apart.

All of that stuff you listed for Doc... HE NEVER USES THAT. ALL HE HAS ARE PILLS AND VIRUSES.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
@GiantBreadbug: In regards to 5th gen reps aside from Victini and Zoroark...

Victini still remains my most wanted character for Smash, but I do have other wants for the 5th gen if Victini doesn't get in.

Like you, I would love to see Genesect in. I loved the bad*** look that Mewtwo had and it seems to have a similar vibe for Genesect. Which probably explains why I also support Deoxys as a choice; it's the Mewtwo of the 3rd gen.

I also agree in that I really like some of the designs for the 5th gen and I would argue it is less ugly then the 4th gen. Other Pokemons that interest me are Scrafty and Bisharp.

Pokemon is the franchise that IMO, has the most interesting potential reps and has a very large pool of characters. It's for this reason why I feel it is the franchise most deserving of six slots.
Victini is still my #1 want, as well. Ever since the release of those movies, I've been wanting to do something like V-Create on an opponent Lol

Hey if it were up to me I'd give Pokemon seven!
I'd give 600+.

If only there were enough slots for SSB4, I would include eight. I would be satisfied with only five (since I don't really expect much from Smash 4's roster anyway in terms of expansion), but eight would be perfect.

Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer (Red)
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Pichu
Deoxys
Lucario
Victini/Genesect

Done. All five gens repped and 99% of fans are happy.
I would not argue with this logical set. To be honest, Sakurai should do it, most definatly. The Mario series wouldn't die if they didn't get a new rep, so steal their's :awesome: If Genesect isn't included, than 7 slots is possible if time allowed. The Wii-U has more than enough room. See empty space on Brawl.

@SSBF There's a mascot poll for Pokemon featured on game covers (Charizard,Venasaur, Pikachu, Lugia, Ho-Oh etc). Don't know much about it, but Rayquaza won the vote in Japan, and they're getting a level 100 Rayquaza that knows V-Create
I saw this, and now I argue over Arceus VS Rayquaza. Rayquaza learns Dragon Dance, raising Attack and Speed. Use it twice, than use V-Create. I see Arceus being destroyed. Hell, don't even USE DD. V-Create Rayquaza sure is a shocker... Thank god his ability isn't Marvel Scale XD

IMO
1st gen
2nd gen
5th gen
3rd gen
4th gen

Edited
Towards favorite generations? Mine are:
2nd Generation: 16 Badges? Hell yes. Typhlosion? Hell yessir!
5th Generation: As a great significance towards being like the 1st Gen, who wouldn't like the 5th? Probably purists, but if Grey fixes the problems *No VS Seeker pointed*
1st Generation: I'd rank this the same as the 5th gen, except I love it because it's the start of it all. Mewtwo was my first favorite Pokemon. Funny how I love Lucario more than anyone, though. Now they're rivals, for some reason Lol
3rd Generation: Excellent story, but seemed light on Pokemon tastes. I didn't like most of the Pokemon on there. Breloom, however, is my #1 on there.
4th Generation: I was not ammused at first. It's story was bland, But PLT fixed that. Hell, PLT fixed both games. But what could make this #1, if any better, is the introduction of Riolu and Lucario: The #1 fighting-types of Pokemon special-attack style. He also knows Aura Sphere + Nasty Plot. This alone makes him badass.

Pichu Fan

Smash Journeyman
5 gen pokemon i would want in smash 4

Victini
Zoroark
Excadrill
Scrafty
Bisharp
Minccino
Stunfisk
Chandelure
Galvantula

Id write more but i just woke up

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'm just starting to watch but stop dodgerolling and spotdodging so much. You're hard commit to arrows you could just shield (powershield) or absorb.

I'll critique more if you want, but after school.
Fair enough. I'm used to the arrows now so i cringe when I really shouldn't :-P

Powershielding is fine but if he decides to spam them i'm in real trouble. :/

Yeah critique more, I need it ^^

Although it's almost bed time for me, i am soooo tired. :-P

I also wish I could magnet more, but it's sooooooo unsafe. The cooldown lag is too long and he just hits me where I stand. :(

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Alright, so I got a question. Is there a video guide on Wolf? I wanna get better with him. I'm alrdy good with Lucario, but need to be better with Wolf. Xblisx, do you happen to know, by chance?

EDITED: Oh wait, nvm. I remembered I found a video yesterday XD

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Yeah, internet is crazy. :D

Ohhhh the lag.

Sorry, I meant online. my head is completely packed in atm. :-P
I should record a match from me Lol... Xblisx, are you free Wednesday, by chance? I'll be free for Wi-Fi, I think. That goes for all ya'll.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

That's our F-Zero guy. lol
(Not before Goroh or Black Shadow)
Last I've checked, F-Zero GP Legend did very poorly as an anime dub.

Except the helpless state was the only thing that kept it at a level of real combo potential. I agree that the two could potentially mix to curve to each side of the coin, but my only worry is how exactly will that work?
You do need to remember that R.O.B. does not have a helpless state in Brawl. But like I said, being able to mid-air dodge without any helpless risks makes it easier for you to recover, which is not a luxury that Melee has.

D

Deleted member

THE Intelligent Defense for Flavor of the Month Theory
Written by the ViewtifulGene on GameFAQs

FLAVOR OF THE DAY: Snicker ****storm

Somewhere down the road, people thought they were smart for rejecting a rigorous scientific theory. Well, Smashboards, you were sadly mistaken. As much as you people may want Lucario and Ike to stay in this game, they won't. If this fact offends you, please read my entire argument before responding. I don't want this to turn into a shouting match. Below, I present to you the reasons why flavor of the month characters can't and shouldn't be in this game.

I. Marble Cake: A Black and White Pattern

There is compelling evidence that Sakurai has a habit of replacing unique Smash Brothers characters in favor of more current characters from their respective franchises. In Melee, Mewtwo and Roy were added, from Pokemon and Fire Emblem respectively. In Brawl, Sakurai explicitly designed Lucario and Ike as replacements for these characters. Note that Mewtwo and Roy never came back in Brawl, and for good reason. Inspection of the game disk shows no evidence at all that Sakurai ever wanted Ike, Roy, Mewtwo, and Lucario to coexist. There was a list of characters known as the "Forbidden Seven", which included characters we believe were planned for Brawl but were never finished. However, Mewtwo and Roy are nowhere on this list.

Furthermore, the latest developments in mathematics allow us to determine a pattern from one observation. Mewtwo and Roy were replaced from Melee to Brawl. Therefore, Sakurai will inevitably replace Lucario and Ike in Smash 4.

II. Clear Pepsi: A Transparently Outdated Flavor that Nobody Likes

For one, it is proper to remove flavor-of-the-month (FotM) characters because they are no longer time-relevant, and time relevance is a necessary condition for inclusion in SSB games. Sakurai only chooses characters that have been included in recent games, except for when he chooses on retro characters like Pit, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B. Only recent characters can be in this game, except for when a character who isn't new gets in. This rule works 100% of the time, even when it doesn't work. Therefore, only characters who make prominent appearances in new games can be playable in Super Smash Brothers.

Some readers may point out that a character should stay in Smash even if they are no longer relevant simply because gamers liked using him or her. This is false. Many observers cite Jigglypuff as an example here, but it works against them. Yes, Jigglypuff's relevance has faded with each new SSB game, but she is also one of the original 12 SSB characters. It is unacceptable to cut anyone from the original 12, but it is proper to remove unique characters from Melee and Brawl, even if people liked them, because they are irrelevant, and relevance is law in SSB. It would not be fair to fans of the original 12 if their main characters were cut, but it is not only fair but commendable when Sakurai removes a unique character that people liked using in Melee or Brawl. Nobody liked Roy or Mewtwo anyway; those characters only had appeal because they were new, and all fans of those characters found Ike and Lucario to be adequate replacements. Lucario and Ike users are ready and willing to abandon their characters for Zoroark and Chrome, too. For them, that fateful day cannot come soon enough.

Mewtwo's declining relevance is an especially important case. GameFreak, the developer of Pokemon, has unveiled a recent event explicitly telling Pokemon trainers everywhere to forget about Mewtwo. Soon gamers will be able to download an event for their game cards where they kill Mewtwo with a new move designed specifically for that event, known as Psystrike. After killing Mewtwo with the move that was designed just to kill him, gamers then bury Mewtwo using his body as a shovel, and then defecate on his grave. After gamers complete this event, Pokemon trainers around the world will hold hands in a sign of solidarity. Gamers everywhere agree that it is only possible to like 1st generation or the new generations of Pokemon, and having buried Mewtwo, all are ready and willing to abandon the old forever and embrace whatever is most new.

The day Sakurai replaced your outdated character was the most important day of your life. But for him, it was Tuesday.

By far ViewtifulGene's best work. His satirical criticisms towards people for relying on relevancy as a reason to cut makes me glad he understands that cutting isn't as simple as a character being irrelevant.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have been thinking of some changes with how the Heart Container and Maxim Tomato would operate...

Maxim Tomato: When grabbed, it'll cut your current damage in half; Ex.: 300% to 150%.

Heart Container: When grabbed, it'll drop your current damage to 0%.

I pretty much stated those things while talking about The Arena (Boss Battles).

D

Deleted member

@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy: I don't remember this, but isn't that the purpose of the Heart Container now?

But I wouldn't mind your Maxim Tomato solution, as long as a regular Tomato decrease damage by 50% also appears.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@SSBF: I've seen that guy's posts, most of them are pretty rediculous, so I'm not taking a word that guy says seriously.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy: I don't remember this, but isn't that the purpose of the Heart Container now?

But I wouldn't mind your Maxim Tomato solution, as long as a regular Tomato decrease damage by 50% also appears.
As of Melee and Brawl, Heart Containers only recover 100% of your current damage; it does not fully heal you, except in All-Star mode and Boss Battles.

D

Deleted member

@SSBF: I've seen that guy's posts, most of them are pretty rediculous, so I'm not taking a word that guy says seriously.
It's actually rather easy to determine when he's serious and when he's not serious. Satirical posts like the one I posted are when to not take him seriously because he means the opposite of what he said, but it's also easy to recognize when he is serious.

As for my opinion on him, I'm okay with him. I like the unique flavor he brings to the forum and his threads are usually parodies of frequently discussed characters and other things with Smash 4. His posting is also above the (admittedly substandard) GameFAQs users on that board when he does take Smash 4 discussion seriously (with the exception of his rants on Jigglypuff).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
THE Intelligent Defense for Flavor of the Month Theory
Written by the ViewtifulGene on GameFAQs

FLAVOR OF THE DAY: Snicker ****storm

Somewhere down the road, people thought they were smart for rejecting a rigorous scientific theory. Well, Smashboards, you were sadly mistaken. As much as you people may want Lucario and Ike to stay in this game, they won't. If this fact offends you, please read my entire argument before responding. I don't want this to turn into a shouting match. Below, I present to you the reasons why flavor of the month characters can't and shouldn't be in this game.

I. Marble Cake: A Black and White Pattern

There is compelling evidence that Sakurai has a habit of replacing unique Smash Brothers characters in favor of more current characters from their respective franchises. In Melee, Mewtwo and Roy were added, from Pokemon and Fire Emblem respectively. In Brawl, Sakurai explicitly designed Lucario and Ike as replacements for these characters. Note that Mewtwo and Roy never came back in Brawl, and for good reason. Inspection of the game disk shows no evidence at all that Sakurai ever wanted Ike, Roy, Mewtwo, and Lucario to coexist. There was a list of characters known as the "Forbidden Seven", which included characters we believe were planned for Brawl but were never finished. However, Mewtwo and Roy are nowhere on this list.

Furthermore, the latest developments in mathematics allow us to determine a pattern from one observation. Mewtwo and Roy were replaced from Melee to Brawl. Therefore, Sakurai will inevitably replace Lucario and Ike in Smash 4.

II. Clear Pepsi: A Transparently Outdated Flavor that Nobody Likes

For one, it is proper to remove flavor-of-the-month (FotM) characters because they are no longer time-relevant, and time relevance is a necessary condition for inclusion in SSB games. Sakurai only chooses characters that have been included in recent games, except for when he chooses on retro characters like Pit, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B. Only recent characters can be in this game, except for when a character who isn't new gets in. This rule works 100% of the time, even when it doesn't work. Therefore, only characters who make prominent appearances in new games can be playable in Super Smash Brothers.

Some readers may point out that a character should stay in Smash even if they are no longer relevant simply because gamers liked using him or her. This is false. Many observers cite Jigglypuff as an example here, but it works against them. Yes, Jigglypuff's relevance has faded with each new SSB game, but she is also one of the original 12 SSB characters. It is unacceptable to cut anyone from the original 12, but it is proper to remove unique characters from Melee and Brawl, even if people liked them, because they are irrelevant, and relevance is law in SSB. It would not be fair to fans of the original 12 if their main characters were cut, but it is not only fair but commendable when Sakurai removes a unique character that people liked using in Melee or Brawl. Nobody liked Roy or Mewtwo anyway; those characters only had appeal because they were new, and all fans of those characters found Ike and Lucario to be adequate replacements. Lucario and Ike users are ready and willing to abandon their characters for Zoroark and Chrome, too. For them, that fateful day cannot come soon enough.

Mewtwo's declining relevance is an especially important case. GameFreak, the developer of Pokemon, has unveiled a recent event explicitly telling Pokemon trainers everywhere to forget about Mewtwo. Soon gamers will be able to download an event for their game cards where they kill Mewtwo with a new move designed specifically for that event, known as Psystrike. After killing Mewtwo with the move that was designed just to kill him, gamers then bury Mewtwo using his body as a shovel, and then defecate on his grave. After gamers complete this event, Pokemon trainers around the world will hold hands in a sign of solidarity. Gamers everywhere agree that it is only possible to like 1st generation or the new generations of Pokemon, and having buried Mewtwo, all are ready and willing to abandon the old forever and embrace whatever is most new.

The day Sakurai replaced your outdated character was the most important day of your life. But for him, it was Tuesday.

By far ViewtifulGene's best work. His satirical criticisms towards people for relying on relevancy as a reason to cut makes me glad he understands that cutting isn't as simple as a character being irrelevant.
Is this true about Mewtwo? And why this guy forgot about Sheik?

:phone:

D

Deleted member

@Diddy Kong: I don't think ViewtifulGene was being serious about Mewtwo not being planned. We should know that Mewtwo was planned by now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Palutena can have some regular moves with that staff. Krystal would be able to differ from her by her special moves, mixed with some kicking.

Also, Skyward Sword works SO WELL as a game before in the timeline of OoT, its beautiful.

Wooooow... OOT Link is so SLOW! Is this also true in 3DS?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'm back. The test was super easy XD

So, not much has been said since I left. I guess I'll come back later, when a convo comes up that's interesting.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If I stayed around for only interesting discussions I wouldn't post as much.

OOT aged badly I feel.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
If I stayed around for only interesting discussions I wouldn't post as much.

OOT aged badly I feel.

OoT is a fantastic game. I still think it's better than SS. No offense, but I have played SS a little bit, and the original top dog is still the top dog, OoT is what I mean. I'll continue to play SS, however. But still... It's too comical for me as an LoZ player.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's still good for sure, but controls are much more smooth in SS, the difficulty is also higher, story is better (my opinion though), and the temples are mostly designed better. SS is fresh and quick, its something Zelda needed for a long time.

Kinda missed the secret swords skills from TP in it though, I'll give you that.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
It's still good for sure, but controls are much more smooth in SS, the difficulty is also higher, story is better (my opinion though), and the temples are mostly designed better. SS is fresh and quick, its something Zelda needed for a long time.

Kinda missed the secret swords skills from TP in it though, I'll give you that.

I heard you can do some weird stuff on there... (SS)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
OoT is a fantastic game. I still think it's better than SS. No offense, but I have played SS a little bit, and the original top dog is still the top dog, OoT is what I mean. I'll continue to play SS, however. But still... It's too comical for me as an LoZ player.
I would make your assessment on Skyward Sword AFTER you've beaten the main story.

I think people put too much into OoT. The main reason why it's considered the greatest game of all time is because of the revolutionary mechanics in that game. It's also unfair to compare the two because one game has 11 years on another. So, combine nostalgia with just a game aging (and OoT ages just as good as Super Metroid) and a game from a different time period (in VG history) and it's not an easy comparison.

On another topic, I was just looking at that Kid Icarus article. Remember how Sakurai said that what's in Uprising will influence Sm4sh?

- Ground locations include a medieval castle and an interstellar space-pirate vessel
- Fight with projectile attacks
- Can hide behind pillars/rubble
- Close-range melee combos
- Dash attacks
- Can take your time to explore in these sections
- Lots of hidden treasures
- Secret life-restoring hot springs
- “levels are frenetically paced and full of surprises”
I wonder if this is a potential indicator for Tekken-styled chains in the next game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I say Super Metriod aged better, cause most other 2D Metroids after play quite a lot like it. Examples being Fusion and Zero Mission. But its indeed not very fair of a comparison, and I've yet to play the 3DS version.

The Ganondorf battle is still quite cool though. Am at that point right now, just killed Dorf, castle is about to crush... All that good good.

Asage, you better finish SS though. How can you judge what you did not even finish yet?

And Kuma, yeah I hope ground play will be improved on in Smash, but don't think chains as in Tekken would be a good idea. Let's first see how Uprising does it.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
- Ground locations include a medieval castle and an interstellar space-pirate vessel
- Fight with projectile attacks
- Can hide behind pillars/rubble
- Close-range melee combos
- Dash attacks
- Can take your time to explore in these sections
- Lots of hidden treasures
- Secret life-restoring hot springs
- “levels are frenetically paced and full of surprises”
Hohoo, they're back! XDDD (From Kid Icarus NES, they are a life-saver in dungeons)

But how will Pit be in them? Maybe we got some raw angel fanservice?

Just kidding.

Melee attack combos look promising. But like Diddy said, let's see how Uprising does it for real.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Hohoo, they're back! XDDD (From Kid Icarus NES, they are a life-saver in dungeons)

But how will Pit be in them? Maybe we got some raw angel fanservice?

Just kidding.

Melee attack combos look promising. But like Diddy said, let's see how Uprising does it for real.
I can just imagine Fangirls creaming themselves if they did that. =P

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know, with that said I kinda want them to improve on side stepping to improve the ground game. Maybe make a side stepping roll? Sort of wave dash idea, but with side stepping. I think that would speed up the ground game significantly.

And dude... NOTHING of those hot springs can compare to what poor Lucas had been going through in his game...... :(

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I would make your assessment on Skyward Sword AFTER you've beaten the main story.

I think people put too much into OoT. The main reason why it's considered the greatest game of all time is because of the revolutionary mechanics in that game. It's also unfair to compare the two because one game has 11 years on another. So, combine nostalgia with just a game aging (and OoT ages just as good as Super Metroid) and a game from a different time period (in VG history) and it's not an easy comparison.
I don't like OoT more than SS due to relevance (Nostalgia). I like OoT because it's story is alot better, in my opinion. Skyward Sword also hints Toon Link-Flavoring. That, alone, turns me off from it. But quite clearly, I will say it isn't bad, oh no. I love in, tbh. But if I wanted to, I'd plat OoT 3DS or N64 over SS. BTW I alrdy told ya'll I watched the Guide videos, going through the entire game. I think that, alone, lets me have a say in how good it is. But I also haven't watched them in awhile. I should beat SS just for the flavor to stick, but come on. Ghirahim, Zelda's new/old look (Why does she remind me of the Zelda from CD-I?), being able to use the bathroom... yeah, ok, that's enough.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
You mean being violated by some he, she, Poison... person...? Yeah thanks for reminding me of that, NOW I CAN'T UNSEE! DX

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't like OoT more than SS due to relevance (Nostalgia). I like OoT because it's story is alot better, in my opinion. Skyward Sword also hints Toon Link-Flavoring. That, alone, turns me off from it. But quite clearly, I will say it isn't bad, oh no. I love in, tbh. But if I wanted to, I'd plat OoT 3DS or N64 over SS. BTW I alrdy told ya'll I watched the Guide videos, going through the entire game. I think that, alone, lets me have a say in how good it is. But I also haven't watched them in awhile. I should beat SS just for the flavor to stick, but come on. Ghirahim, Zelda's new/old look (Why does she remind me of the Zelda from CD-I?), being able to use the bathroom... yeah, ok, that's enough.
The story in SS is clearly superior, it just takes longer to really get rolling. After beating it you'll see. It's full of mind ****ery, especially in the end.

Also, this is no Toon Link, he has a normal sized head, no cat eyes, actual legs to speak of... Yeah, I preferred the old look of TP to before, but it grows into you. Besides, Zelda is pretty cute, and she's not a princess in this one.

Ganon > Ghirahim though, but just slightly. I like Dorf better cause of WW if anything.

Finish your game yourself, its much more fun that way.

Poor Lucas yeah... Poor, poor Lucas... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom