• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
1) In SSB4 (the Wii U version, at least), we'll finally have a machine with enough processing power to generate actual audiences in the backgrounds of stages, not just two-dimensional blurs. (Yay!)
What if Final Destination took place in a stadium similar to the first level of SSE, and in the background there were side-characters from all kinds of Nintendo series cheering in the stands? Just like in Kirby Super Star. :awesome:

Though, several Nintendo games do that, I think.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And Ryo Sazuki/Rick Wheeler. Unless him debuting in the anime makes him somehow inelligible (despite that last two F-Zero titles being of the anime continuity).
Since he's a Nintendo character, and if he's second-party or first-party, he MIGHT have a chance.

I forgot about Deathborn. :p Then again, he's not heavily rememberable, imo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He's already a costume, minus the spikes and face. Likewise, we don't need him as a clone. Ganondorf is generally better since he has a different metagame. Not that he shouldn't be the same.

Also, bw, for people suggesting to change Link's B Moves. Sakurai even stated that his plan is for Toon Link/Young Link to share the same B Moves. So... know that they won't be different outside of A moves and maybe the Final Smash.

^ And John Tanaka. Also, there's James McCloud.
"As a rule" could you know, be a reference to Young Link and how he was a clone from Link in Melee. I don't think that it should be taken too litterally, however likely it'd be to have this happening again.

There's also the possibility that Toon Link simply gets cut.
Hit me.

Also, yani is right on the Stadium, generation thing.

Since Sakurai is the KIRBY MAN, and HE never really gave much attention to Waddle Dee HIMSELF, wouldn't he continue NOT seeing Waddle Dee as MUCH OF A PICK? Being his series and all, he'll probably be biased with it? I don't think he would care much for Waddle Dee unless he just suddenly became OVERWHELMINGLY POPULAR, which is a ridiculous thought.

Tryphen, I said BIRDY and MIGHTY in the same sentence and you didn't notice. Some fan YOU are.
Bandana Waddle Dee is likely.
Hit me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Despite the fact that Sakurai specifically wants a Child Link in at all times, and only keeps regular Adult Link since he's a mainstay from the original games? I see no way for him to get cut outside of re-adding Young Link.

"Those who have played Link should enjoy playing Toon Link, too. As a rule, the special moves are the same."

Read the quote carefully. He means regular Link, otherwise, he'd have specified Young Link in some fashion, which he didn't.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
For Doctor Mario, and the reasons why I consider him to be at least a bit more acceptable to have than Sheik at this point (note: not at the time of Melee, but as a Smash 4 inclusion) is that Dr.Mario is an own game series which to this date, and still features him as a main character. He might not be unique to Mario in anyway really, but he could add in as a 6th inclusion to the roster to make Mario have more representatives.

Note that I do not want him in however.
You could say the same for Paper Mario. Except PM would have to be unique. He doesn't have fire, a cape, or anything like FLUDD.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Despite the fact that Sakurai specifically wants a Child Link in at all times, and only keeps regular Adult Link since he's a mainstay from the original games? I see no way for him to get cut outside of re-adding Young Link.

"Those who have played Link should enjoy playing Toon Link, too. As a rule, the special moves are the same."

Read the quote carefully. He means regular Link, otherwise, he'd have specified Young Link in some fashion, which he didn't.
He didn't mention Roy or Mewtwo either when talking about the specials of Ike and Lucario. Also, Sakurai speaks in Japanese, so his words get translated. I'm no good in Japanese, but I can speak a little German, and here is what the German text says: Generell stimmen die Spezialattacken überein. Which means: Generally speaking, the special attacks are the same.

Would've thought that if it was meant to be an actual rule, he'd make sure everyone got that rule right..?

There are too many quarantine signs in the way to hit you.
Bandana Dee still is considered the most likely Kirby newcomer to most.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
But that's like saying "Louie is the most likely Pikmin newcomer to most." It's like, sure, you could say that, but you wouldn't be saying much.

ON THAT SUBJECT THOUGH, I don't think anyone has thought that perhaps Pikmin 3 will bring a new potential (lolno) character.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
But that's like saying "Louie is the most likely Pikmin newcomer to most." It's like, sure, you could say that, but you wouldn't be saying much.

ON THAT SUBJECT THOUGH, I don't think anyone has thought that perhaps Pikmin 3 will bring a new potential (lolno) character.
Who is the NEWEST character added to Smash? Is it Olimar, or Toon Link? OR Ike?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I do. I don't think however that Louie distinquises himself more from Olimar as Bandana Dee does to... the rest of the cast. He gotta spear yo.

D

Deleted member

Unless 3 does something to Louie to flesh out the "King of Insects" or whatever, or adds something that could work as a playable character without being rediculous, I doubt it will get a new character.

@Shortie: Toon Link. Olimar existed when Melee came out. Toon Link didn't.
EDIT: Ike is later than Toon Link as well.
Although LUCARIO is the latest character.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@Shortie: Toon Link. Olimar existed when Melee came out. Toon Link didn't.
Well Oasis, since you found out Sakurai can be WEARY of newwww stuff (Like the Vacuum) and, the newest characters added to Brawl were all from Gamecube, I would be weary of any REALLY new characters. Although in some respects Lucario breaks that mold, but we know he was probably SUGGESTED by Pokemon co.

Like, Shulk, and PalMed for example.

D

Deleted member

But PalMed aren't new. They're from the NES days.
EDIT: And Lucario is from DS.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Shulk is old news for Japan and us Europeans. Besides, Smash is for Wii U. Xenoblade for Wii.

Palutena and Medusa are both old and retro, like Little Mac. I consider those 3 actually the most likely to appear because of that. Impa fits the same bill, but she is overlooked by anyone who hasn't completed Skyward Sword basically. Chrome is up there to.

D

Deleted member

How in the Hell is Chrome both Retro and relevant?
Little Mac, Palutena, and Medusa fall in this.
Impa isn't old and Retro, as she's been in PLENTY of Zelda titles since her debut.
Chrome is NOWHERE NEAR old and Retro.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Why are you guys forgetting about Lucas. By year, it was Lucas and Lucario. 2006. Pokemon D/P came out later than Mother 3 though. And Lucas went through development hell for a while, so I guess Lucario at least seems newer.

So yeah, Lucario wins.

Also, about Pikmin 3, I meant what if it introduces a new character to the series. I know they would never be in Sm4sh either way.

Missing a few, and it doesn't show you the IN BETWEEN years, but whuteffers.

D

Deleted member

That new character would have to wait in line behind Louie and The President. Regardless of how ununique they may be.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How in the Hell is Chrome both Retro and relevant?
Little Mac, Palutena, and Medusa fall in this.
Impa isn't old and Retro, as she's been in PLENTY of Zelda titles since her debut.
Chrome is NOWHERE NEAR old and Retro.
Chrome was not part of that argument, just part of those I find extremely likely. He's not retro for sure with his new game not been released of coarse...... :laugh:

And I meant recent and retro, it's late here again. Bear with me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He didn't mention Roy or Mewtwo either when talking about the specials of Ike and Lucario. Also, Sakurai speaks in Japanese, so his words get translated. I'm no good in Japanese, but I can speak a little German, and here is what the German text says: Generell stimmen die Spezialattacken überein. Which means: Generally speaking, the special attacks are the same.

Would've thought that if it was meant to be an actual rule, he'd make sure everyone got that rule right..?
That'd apply if Lucario and Ike were actual clones of Mewtwo and Roy. Which they weren't whatsoever. Try again. Likewise, do you honestly think he would let a bad translation on his OWN site. Also, that's what I said, but he specified that only about the two Link's. Which one is strictly a clone.

I don't even see any new characters for Kirby or StarFox. They're both pretty well enough in general.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Neither does Dr. Mario. (disregarding the Super Sheet, which was made up for Melee.)
And that takes my point even further. What DOES Doc have to distinguish himself like PM? Pills and Viruses. That's not much.

Furthermore, PM is NOTHING like regular Mario. Partners, Hammer, Pixls, Badges, Items, AND he has a completely different personality. EVERYONE in Paper Mario does. Doc does not.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273

Louie's one of those that I reeeealy want to see in Sm4sh (Pikmin 2 just might be my third favorite game of all time), but I know it isn't going to happen ever. He's kind of a sad, pathetic pipe dream of mine. I even worked up a moveset for him that differentiates him from Olimar pretty well.

*sighs*

As to the Pikmin series, I don't know that we'll get any new playable character material from Pikmin 3. I do, however, think that the Olimar/Louie duo will stay, due to the huge positive response that the whole teamwork system introduced in Pikmin 2 received, which would ever so slightly boost Louie's chances for Sm4sh. That is, if Pikmin 3 is released well before Sm4sh (it better be, the thing's been in development for how many years now?).

If we get anything new in Pikmin, I'd say it'll be new colors of Pikmin (2 new colors at most, a-la Pikmin 2). I've seen some suggest that Olimar's max number of Pikmin allowed on the field in Sm4sh increase to accommodate new colors of Pikmin. Let's say two new colors are introduced in Pikmin 3, bringing the total species of Pikmin to seven. I think it'd be reasonable to allow Olimar to have seven on the field at once (one for each color). That's only one more than he's allowed now, and those little guys scatter so easily, it's not totally unfair for opponents of Oli.

Maybe Louie gets a huge popularity boost as a result of Pikmin 3. Maybe he gets into Sm4sh utilizing a moveset that is marginally different from Olimar's. Maybe my life would be complete.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Would've thought that if it was meant to be an actual rule, he'd make sure everyone got that rule right..?[/quotte]

That'd apply if Lucario and Ike were actual clones of Mewtwo and Roy. Which they weren't whatsoever. Try again. Likewise, do you honestly think he would let a bad translation on his OWN site. Also, that's what I said, but he specified that only about the two Link's. Which one is strictly a clone.

I don't even see any new characters for Kirby or StarFox. They're both pretty well enough in general.
Why are you not reading the German one? I don't think that line is the same in all languages (infact it isn't; I translated the German one for you), therefore the "as a rule" only applies to English speaking people. Don't you think he'd wanna say the same thing in all languages if it actually was a "rule"?

D

Deleted member

And that takes my point even further. What DOES Doc have to distinguish himself like PM? Pills and Viruses. That's not much.

Furthermore, PM is NOTHING like regular Mario. Partners, Hammer, Pixls, Badges, Items, AND he has a completely different personality. EVERYONE in Paper Mario does. Doc does not.
Different...personality...? It's ****ing MARIO, dude. How in the Hell can Mario have a different personality while he's made out of paper?
And same could be said for Doc, he's busy looking for cures for the common cold and trying to save lives within the Mushroom Kingdom.
He doesn't have the same "personality" as the carefree, adventurous Mario. He's more serious. (While still showing a sense of humor)
And that's just a sack of crap. Same with Paper Mario having a different personality than "Non-Paper" Mario. It's not like Link and Toon Link, where, they are LITERALLY, different people that take the name "Link".

He also has Doctor tools, such as his stethoscope, defibulator, syringes, etc. As ChronoBound proved, Doc can be unique if effort was put into it.

Not trying to shut down the idea of Paper Mario, as he would be an interesting character IMO, but something as absurd as a "different personality" irks me that people would try to argue.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
But PalMed aren't new. They're from the NES days.
EDIT: And Lucario is from DS.
Yeah, for all intensive purposes, they're new. The ONLY reason you're all talking about them is because of their new game. They aren't fan favorite retros like Pit, they're characters that are STRICTLY candidates based on NEW circumstances.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"If you liked playing with Link, you should also have fun with Cartoon Link, especially as the special moves are the same."

France version.

"Anyone who uses the link, should be enjoyed without any discomfort.
Such mortal is the same principle.

In terms of performance there are many differences,
except that the main as follows."

As bad as the translation sounds, it only talks about what "follows", which is the moves shown.

"Anyone who already has played should link with Toon Link also have some fun. Generally agree the special attacks.

The abilities themselves are different, but on the whole really changes is the following:"

German version.

D

Deleted member

JP Translation:
If the person who uses link, the expectation which can be enjoyed without what strange feeling.
Necessary shooting [waza] and the like is the principlly same.

([waza] refers to Specials) He's saying that they are necessary to be the same.

EDIT: There IS no German one. There's Japanese, English (US), English (UK & Ireland), Dutch, French, Spanish, and Italian.

EDIT: And the UK English one says "As a general rule, their special moves are the same".

yani

Smash Lord
Has anyone mentioned the Pokemon Axew being a 5th gen rep yet? It seems a little important. It's Ash's new pal's Pokemon that hangs outside of its pokeball just like Pikachu.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Has anyone mentioned the Pokemon Axew being a 5th gen rep yet? It seems a little important. It's Ash's new pal's Pokemon that hangs outside of its pokeball just like Pikachu.
I have noticed that, but nobody's mentioned it here.

People here don't take too kindly to the idea that a standalone 5th gen rep could be anyone other than Victini or Zoroark. Trust me, I tried.

*wistfully stares at old picture of Genesect*

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
JP Translation:
If the person who uses link, the expectation which can be enjoyed without what strange feeling.
Necessary shooting [waza] and the like is the principlly same.

([waza] refers to Specials) He's saying that they are necessary to be the same.

EDIT: There IS no German one. There's Japanese, English (US), English (UK & Ireland), Dutch, French, Spanish, and Italian.

EDIT: And the UK English one says "As a general rule, their special moves are the same".
"Deutsch" is German. I would know, I am actually Dutch.
Dutch = from the Netherlands. Surrounding country of the better known Amsterdam (which is a city)

And yes, it's ****ing stupid to have our language be called "Dutch" in English. But you could have known from the flags...
Also, we have our own language.

D

Deleted member

Huh, one would think that being Dutch myself, I would've known that. Then again, I'm just an ignorant American, so what have you...lol

That is Ryo Suzaki/Rick Wheeler from F-Zero Falcon Densetsu/F-Zero GP Legend. He was the main character of that anime.

yani

Smash Lord
I have noticed that, but nobody's mentioned it here.

People here don't take too kindly to the idea that a standalone 5th gen rep could be anyone other than Victini or Zoroark. Trust me, I tried.

*wistfully stares at old picture of Genesect*
IMO I think Victini and Zoroark would both serve better as pokeball Pokemon. If I had to choose one of those two, I'd pick Victini.

I think Axew could end up being a serious candidate as well. It's a dragon type too. :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom