• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
To be fair Olimae and Wario were far more deserving additions and only so many new series could be added. Now the only "modernish" series I think is more likely is Punch-Out!!. Since I think we'll be getting at least four new series (modern and retro), I'd say there is room for Golden Sun.
Miis are another strong possibility. I think if we don't get Miis in Smash 4 they probably won't show up in the future. Sakurai determined his roster in late 2005 so he had no idea about how much of phenomenon the Miis would become.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If ray was tiny, I would love him.

Uhm, I think Isaac, or Matthew is a GOOD IDEA, I don't know if it will happen though.

As for King K. Rool, if he's in, I'm betting Dixie is as well. Unless Sakurai REALLY only wants her as a Diddy partner, which probably won't happen.

@--- I never took that as a reason to leave out Mac, I just think he's going to be boring.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Little Mac just seems to be a given character IMO, not a shoe in, just one that comes to mind often.

As for only punches, I find that to be as silly as Ridley being to big. Other boxing style characters in other fighters require even larger movesets than what Smash asks for.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
**** the Miis, seriously.

Isaac would rock the world. Golden Sun would really be cool to have in Smash.

Also, Qlaw, Little Mac had his game remade for Wii.

:phone:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh God, playing smash with an arcade stick would be terrible. The arcade stick is great for 2D and 3D traditional fighting games, but not for smash (especially with the dashes, dash dancing, the DI, wall jumping, wall clinging, MOSTLY THE C-STICK THING!, the control pad, and how fast the game is). Let's keep all that traditional fighting game crap out of smash. God knows how annoying the Street Fighter fanbase is anyways... (they act all cool... over a child's game! That's like a D&D nerd telling a band geek that they are cooler) >.>

Edit: @ Metal Overlord
That picture is definitely from Donkey Kong Country Returns. The hearts weren't in DKC1-3. DK64 had melons as health... >.<
Lol, you can tell from the level and the graphics, easy.

In any case, my brother is in to heavy metal, and I play D&D, but everyone knows i'm so much cooler. :-P

Actually, he plays D&D too, and I consider him to be cooler, so... yeah...

But D&D is actually starting to be considered cool again. I'm meeting a lot of kids these days who see D&D and go "Wow! I can get in to this!"

Try-hi: Once star gets on, feel free to tell him about the conversation. I'm sure he'll be interested. :)

Oh.... 5000 PAGES EVERYONE! WOOOT!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Little Mac just seems to be a given character IMO, not a shoe in, just one that comes to mind often.

As for only punches, I find that to be as silly as Ridley being to big. Other boxing style characters in other fighters require even larger movesets than what Smash asks for.
I agree. This sums it up perfectly. Little Mac just easily roles into the mind as a good, solid, likely character (or sexy pick).

And boxing requires a lot of different punches (uppercuts, undercuts, haymakers, Little Mac's super punch, etc), moves, and footwork. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make a moveset in their about it. There could always be punch combos as moves.

@ Luco
I will never consider D&D cool, or a child's toy (aka video games), but rather just there. Cool is simply a state of being. :cool:

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@--- I never took that as a reason to leave out Mac, I just think he's going to be boring.
It's all subjective I guess.

IMO any moveset that could have Doc Louis in it sounds interesting enough for me. Not to mention I see a lot of Ryu in him.

D

Deleted member

Miis are another strong possibility. I think if we don't get Miis in Smash 4 they probably won't show up in the future. Sakurai determined his roster in late 2005 so he had no idea about how much of phenomenon the Miis would become.
Forgot about Mii's. I've been thinking they are more and more of a strong possibility than that they are of a weak one. But I think they'll be treated much differently from a normal characters in regards to how they are treated.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
**** Impa, seriously.
Fixed. :troll:
Isaac would rock the world. Golden Sun would really be cool to have in Smash.
I agree. Issac was one of the best assist trophies, and that Golden Sun song on Norfair was awesome! We need more of anything Golden Sun in smash, because the little content we got from Golden Sun made Brawl that much cooler, and really added to the game.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Little Mac has the most impressive resume of any "new series" representative not yet in Smash Bros. The series has had a long history with Nintendo. The series creator Genyo Takeda was pretty much one of the leading designers for the Wii too. The only other new series character that is as notable would be the Miis.

I think Starfy is next in line after those two though, however, if Miyamoto does make another series that has a character that could easily be made playable, then he/she/it jumps ahead of Starfy.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Little Mac has the most impressive resume of any "new series" representative not yet in Smash Bros. The series has had a long history with Nintendo. The series creator Genyo Takeda was pretty much one of the leading designers for the Wii too. The only other new series character that is as notable would be the Miis.

I think Starfy is next in line after those two though, however, if Miyamoto does make another series that has a character that could easily be made playable, then they jump head of Starfy.
Little Mac definitely has everything going for it now, especially since a Wii U and/or 3DS Punch-Out!! game would be a no-brainer (and how perfect Punch-Out!! was for the Wii).

I gotta say Starfy stands a better shot than any Golden Sun character, but I still think it is more than likely Starfy won't be playable this time. Regardless of whether Starfy makes the Super Smash Bros. Wii U or 3DS playable roster, Starfy will eventually be playable in smash brothers if the series continues on.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Little Mac is BOTH retro and new, whats not to like? And instead of grabbing, he could lean back and dodge, like Steve from Tekken. I wanna liver punch Bowser now

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
hmmm.

Little mac Special moves:

B: Knockout punch, like falcons, maybe chargeable

> B: a leaping grab that, if landed, has throw options

V B: Counter.

^ Spiral Uppercut.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I would love to see Nintendo dish out a game (That isnt an RPG) with characters who are INTERESTINGLY dressed, and whatnot. It might just be the anime fan in me, but I love BlazBlue's character designs. They're dazzling.
Fixed.

10begonias

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't know if Mac can throw with those boxing gloves actually. Can he grab in Punch Out?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Diddy Kong
Other characters can grab in the series (with the gloves) if I remember correctly, so I see no reason why Little Mac couldn't.

Little Mac could also borrow moves from other characters from Punch-Out!! (like Raging Bulls' bull rush attack).

D

Deleted member

@Johnknight1: I somewhat agree. Starfy will, IMO, eventually be playable in a Smash game, but now doesn't seem to be his time. Same with Lip. I think she'll eventually get in, but she has to wait.

Golden Sun seems to be more likely to get a rep IMO. After Little Mac and Mii, Isaac is the most well-known new series candidate and perhaps the most popular. Seems to be the Marth of the series.

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
@Johnknight1: I somewhat agree. Starfy will, IMO, eventually be playable in a Smash game, but now doesn't seem to be his time. Same with Lip. I think she'll eventually get in, but she has to wait.

Golden Sun seems to be more likely to get a rep IMO. After Little Mac and Mii, Isaac is the most well-known new series candidate and perhaps the most popular. Seems to be the ROY of the series.
Fixed it for ya

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really disagree with the Mii, just can't bring myself up for it to be a good idea.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Golden Sun seems to be more likely to get a rep IMO. After Little Mac and Mii, Isaac is the most well-known new series candidate and perhaps the most popular. Seems to be the Marth of the series.
Starfy I think stands a solid chance at getting in, but not this time.

Lip I think will take a couple of tries to get in (or serious love from Sakurai).

Issac is kinda in the same situation as Ridley in Melee. Everyone who knows anything about him or Golden Sun likes him as a character and a potential smash bros newcomer. However few think he could be playable (although I think the "few" for Issac is more than Ridley had pre-Melee). Issac would, regardless, be an incredible smash bros playable character.

@ Diddy Kong
Just imagine beating up a ugly Waluigi to brighten your mood about Mii's being playable! :cool: :grin: :chuckle:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I agree. This sums it up perfectly. Little Mac just easily roles into the mind as a good, solid, likely character (or sexy pick).

And boxing requires a lot of different punches (uppercuts, undercuts, haymakers, Little Mac's super punch, etc), moves, and footwork. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make a moveset in their about it. There could always be punch combos as moves.

@ Luco
I will never consider D&D cool, or a child's toy (aka video games), but rather just there. Cool is simply a state of being. :cool:
OK, then my brother is cool, and I am kind of cool, but less cool than my amazingly cool brother.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
@John: Even then I wouldn't like it. Miis can appear everywhere, but let em stay far from Smash please. It just seems like a far too complex character, who offers nothing too great of value in return. Programming a Mii could take time of 2 characters I feel, and you'd end up with a character as bland and boring as the Mii :/ skip them please!

Sir Ilpalazzo

Smash Apprentice
I myself am pretty wary on Isaac too. What are your thoughts on Little Mac anyway? I think you probably mentioned the "all he can do is punch" as being a hurdle for him.
Yeah, I would be 100% behind Little Mac if it weren't for that issue. He has everything going for him except for (maybe) the potential for an interesting and unique move set. As it is, I do feel fairly confident about him getting in just because he's such a classic character, but I wouldn't call him a shoo-in yet.

I think it would take a lot more to make a character who can do nothing but punch unique in a game like Smash Bros. than it would in a traditional fighter, though. I do kind of have trouble imagining Little Mac with a well-fleshed out moveset.

Ray 01 as his own character.
And Quote from cave-story would be an awesome 3rd party.

Those are the only characters that I can think of that are not already said a lot.
I would really love to see Quote, so I thought it was funny to see him mentioned here. There's no way Nintendo would go for him (and the creator of Cave Story even said he wouldn't be interested in seeing Quote in SSB when asked in an interview), but if I could magic in any third-party character, it'd be him.

I think that if Custom Robo was going to get a character in SSB, it would have happened by now. I think it's less popular than Golden Sun was at its height (I'm just bringing that up because they're both kind of second-tier series) even though it's been around longer.

To be fair Olimar and Wario were far more deserving additions and only so many new series could be added. Now the only "modernish" series I think is more likely is Punch-Out!!. Since I think we'll be getting at least four new series (modern and retro), I'd say there is room for Golden Sun.
That's a good point. I think it comes down to why Sakurai chose not to include a Golden Sun character. It certainly would have made more sense to put one in Brawl than it would in the next SSB, because now it has been a while since Golden Sun was big. I'm not going to rule out the possibility, but if I were going to make a character list, I probably wouldn't put any Golden Sun characters on it.

I think Miis will probably be in. The only way they won't is if Sakurai really dislikes the idea of making people's avatars playable, but I still think they are very likely.

I'm not really that interested in seeing Miis in the game, but I don't think that they'd be any more difficult to design than any other character (assuming they fought just like any other character - I also think that they'll be incorporated in some strange, Sakurai-ish way).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Making Miis graphically is easy, because it is already done, and because the graphics are very simple. The only graphical addition needed is lighting, shadows, and whatnot.

The moveset for Miis shouldn't be hard, either. If anything, Miis should be the easiest character to design.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No, make a Sheik Mii yourself :D

Besides, why should there be 2 playable Impas? That would be Silly.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, Miis are the only way Impa will ever be playable in smash, barring some miracle that Ejji Anouma recommends her to Sakurai and him and his team help Sakurai and the Smash Bros. development team make Impa... which won't happen.

In the words of Aerosmith "Dream On." :troll:
In the words of Darth Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :denzel:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik is the most likely veteran to get cut, just sayin. Watch and see it happening

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think it would take a lot more to make a character who can do nothing but punch unique in a game like Smash Bros. than it would in a traditional fighter, though. I do kind of have trouble imagining Little Mac with a well-fleshed out moveset.
It's all subjective.

Seems like a good time though to get working on that Little Mac moveset I keep saying I'll do. lol

And if it helps, Doc Louis can should be used as a part of his taunts.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Doc Louis should be part of his personal entree in the stage, where he gives Mac a pep talk before he fights.

Mario should also get a referee costume.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Doc Louis should have special dialogue after each fight for each character if Little Mac loses. Says how to beat them or something.

That'd be annoying. Maybe only if you lost REALLY BADLY or something.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Or as a taunt he could say: "Join Club Nintendo today Mac!"

In game advertising, you just gotta love it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Little Mac should be the new beginner friendly character. Easy to build damage with, moderate stats all over, simple but effective combos, average speed, some killer moves at easy locations (neutral B?), but maybe bad jumps and air speed. This will be a mostly ground character I feel. He'd appear to have short reach, but his hotboxes should be larger than they seem. He should be just a little bit heavier than Diddy is, and just a little slower than Mario runs. Also, he would get combod quite easy due to fast falling speed. And range and priority could be somewhat lacking at killing moves.

D

Deleted member

@Sir Ilpalazzo: As I "faintly" stated before, it more or less had to do with priority needed towards more important series in Brawl. And at the time of Olimar's announcement as a PC, he had not gotten a game in three years.

But we'll see what happens. New series are one thing that I would love to see be emphasized more in Smash. It gives us the opportunity for lesser series to shine and to make them more recognizable with the world. They'll be the thing that keeps me looking forward to the roster after we see the results of Smash 4's roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom