• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just remembered something. Back during 1996, I remember reading Nintendo Power and I saw the preview for Mario Kart 64. I remembered being so sad that they did not bring back Koopa Troopa (the character I used for the original Mario Kart). Anyway, I saw that they were going to put Wario and Magikoopa in the place of Donkey Kong Jr. and Koopa Troopa. I was looking forward to playing as Magikoopa since I really liked Yoshi's Island.

However, when the game came out, Donkey Kong was in it instead of Magikoopa, which made me quite disappointed.

So yeah, Brawl was not the first time I have gotten disappointed through cuts. Fortunately though, Koopa Troopa was eventually brought back.
I am still waiting for Donkey Kong Jr. to come back in Mario Kart and Mario Tennis. :awesome:

Oh, yeah... I just thought of something... if people don't want characters cut but they want new characters added in every sequel... eventually the roster would exponentially grow out of control. But if people don't want characters cut and aren't willing to swap some old ones for new ones... the roster would not grow very much, leaving much to be desired and fans complaining about the lack of new characters.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Perhaps Magikoopa will be playable in Mario Kart Wii U? It could have a 30 character roster.
I was only disappointed about Magikoopa not being in back in 1997 (and Koopa Troopa not being there). In the long run, I was wanting Koopa Troopa to return. However, I am surprised they never revisited the idea of Magikoopa as a racer since then.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Oh, yeah... I just thought of something... if people don't want characters cut but they want new characters added in every sequel... eventually the roster would exponentially grow out of control. But if people don't want characters cut and aren't willing to swap some old ones for new ones... the roster would not grow very much, leaving much to be desired and fans complaining about the lack of new characters.
They can start cutting characters after Smash 4. I just want all of Brawl's character to return (plus bringing back Mewtwo and Roy) for Smash 4.

I won't be following the Smash Bros. series after Smash 4, so I won't care who and how many they cut after that game.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
After Sm4sh, I feel the roster will become more or less STATIC. The cast of characters will be so STRONG, there wouldn't really be a need to add or cut.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yep. But also, the roster would get too hard to recreate and balance game to game with evergrowing numbers of characters. Thus even if it might feel very disappointing, there must be some cuts for balancing.
Now that Oasis's here...

:phone:

D

Deleted member

[quote="ChronoBound]They can start cutting characters after Smash 4. I just want all of Brawl's character to return (plus bringing back Mewtwo and Roy) for Smash 4.[/quote]I feel this way as well. I expect Smash 5 to totally revamp the roster.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I might actually expect the revamp to happen in SSB4: since Sakurai's said there's been no new characters done after Brawl at all, he might consider revamping the roster.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was bored so I made this...

You are the FIRST ONE who's Zelda roster I 100% agree with. Congratulations! :awesome:

Chrome over the other FE Lords is a good choice to, but personally I'd like to have seen Ike with them. 3 FE characters where planned for Brawl after all.

Dixie & Kiddy Kong- while it would be AWESOME to have a pairing of Kongs like them together, along with the propper revival of Kiddy (we're long overdue) I don't think it's likely to happen. Props for originality though.

Meowth- Would've liked to have kept Lucario instead of him. Would really only accept him as a Jigglypuff replacement may they plan of doing so.

5th gen trainer- Would prefer the 1st generation one, or one of the 3rd generation. Don't think he will make it above Zoroark to be frank.

Disagree with having Mii and the Duck Hunt Dog in general. There are better new and retro character available. Feel the same way with Slime and 3rd parties, would keep Snake instead of him.

King Hippo is cool, would totally accept him as a 2nd Punch Out character.

The roster you suggest does seem to be a little small though. I'd throw in another 5 characters. Think of Isaac / Matthew, Saki and Ike. Otherwise it's a very good roster I feel. Especially on the Zelda part!

I am just worried that they are going to do the revamp with Smash 4, considering that the Japanese themselves are worried about lots of cuts this time around.
Personally think cuts are qutie likely in this one as well. Every fighting game has them.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Yep. But also, the roster would get too hard to recreate and balance game to game with evergrowing numbers of characters. Thus even if it might feel very disappointing, there must be some cuts for balancing.
Now that Oasis's here...

lol. Bottom left, who is that? I keep thinking Diddy Kong because of what Manky said. And where am I in this insanity? :awesome:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It goes both ways.

Keep an old character, keep a new character out.

Cut an old character, add a new character.
Considering that I think most of Brawl's cast deserves to keep their spot, and that there is only about a handful of new characters I would like to see in Smash 4, I would go with keeping characters over adding new ones.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Am I Manky Kong now? :/
No, I was thinking the guy on the bottom-left was you. Your username is Diddy Kong. Manky says "IMMA GONNA GET YOU KONGS." So I figured since he was looking left, you were the one on the bottom-left. :)
Nevermind Diddy, I was wrong. :p

@Horsetail: I REQUIRE A HUMOROUS DRAWING COUNTERPART! :awesome:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Personally think cuts are qutie likely in this one as well. Every fighting game has them.
Sakurai: I am cutting Toon Link for Young Link :troll:

Seriously, I am wondering if Sakurai will keep Brawl's roster (with the possible exception of Snake and Sonic) since the Japanese reaction to Mewtwo and Roy being cut was so negative.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Poppy Bro: I might do it... XD

Chrono: Bring back the original Smash Bro and the most original legendary!

Now he'd better do so since the rest of the world demands it now, too.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Well, I don't think there'll be any cuts whatsoever. At least not for reasons other than time constraints/legal issues. There, I said it. Come at me broskis :cool:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sakurai: I am cutting Toon Link for Young Link :troll:

Seriously, I am wondering if Sakurai will keep Brawl's roster (with the possible exception of Snake and Sonic) since the Japanese reaction to Mewtwo and Roy being cut was so negative.
Mewtwo and Roy where especially hugely popular in Japan though. I said that before, and I finally got the source. I read it from a Fire Emblem forum where one guy said that on most Japanese polls they voted Mewtwo and Roy as the most liked new comer from Melee, both of them ranking in the Top 3 most of the time, as said by him.

Seeing as how Mewtwo is even hugely popular in the west, and Roy's game was the revival of the Fire Emblem series in Japan I can see why they are disappointed with those cuts. Especially cause Ike (and especially his games) wasn't so well received. He made it in cause of importance to his series though (otherwise why would IS suggest him).

Doubt that ANYONE over there complained about Toon Link replacing Young Link though, as the Wind Waker was quite popular there I recall. And don't think they've missed Doc or Pichu much either.

Lucario and Ike might stay now because of this however, but I don't think Sakurai will just keep every character from Brawl in there either. Hugely popular and important characters are safe, but seeing the game might just come out in 2015 I think Sakurai will have to decide which characters he thinks really should have priority over the others. Replacements seem more likely than ever now to me.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Considering that Sakurai was given so much time with Kid Icarus Uprising, delaying it a full year beyond when it was originally intended to be released (when it was revealed, Sakurai stated it would be a launch window title for the 3DS), I think there is a chance Sakurai will be allowed to make Smash 4 stay in development for as long as possible so as to implement everything he wants, including characters,

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Considering that Sakurai was given so much time with Kid Icarus Uprising, delaying it a full year beyond when it was originally intended to be released (when it was revealed, Sakurai stated it would be a launch window title for the 3DS), I think there is a chance Sakurai will be allowed to make Smash 4 stay in development for as long as possible so as to implement everything he wants, including characters,
If that's true, he can revamp every character as good as he wants to. Which is why I don't find it unlikely at all not to see Sheik, and have part of her playstyle given over to Impa. Perhaps that will be the only cut, but I can see it happening.

Unless Sheik returns in a Zelda game other than OoT and Impa never returns after Skyward Sword. Which I both find extremely unlikely.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The only reason I can possibly see for Sheik being cut for Impa is if Sakurai wants five slots for Zelda solely for the purpose of matching it with Mario and Pokemon.

Zaxis

Smash Cadet
I honestly thinking were not going to get a new Zelda character for Smash 4

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The new characters would be the revamped Ganondorf, Link, Zelda and Impa as a new comer. Toon Link is good to stay or get replaced though. And I don't think I grab many oppertunities, cause if I don't talk about Impa this place turns into a temple of worshipping Ghirahim within a minute...

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Better to worship Ghirahim than Tingle, at least.

I would expect cuts, whether they're likely or not under the circumstances involving time constraints and whatnot. Less disappointment that way, at least.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@player1
WTF are you talking about? All he could do is jump around. Noob

If toon link returns, what are the odds of him being decloned further.

Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Smash Cadet
I think they should add Mario to the next smash game, he'll be a great addition.
Nah. He is not very popular and his moves just do not work, but they should make him an alternate costume for Luigi to please the fans.

(Points for whoever gets it)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Better to worship Ghirahim than Tingle, at least.

I would expect cuts, whether they're likely or not under the circumstances involving time constraints and whatnot. Less disappointment that way, at least.
True dat.

Ghirahim was the coolest boss we had since Ganondorf though. His unfittingness really makes him standout, especially cause Link seems freaked the **** out of him as well. Just don't think he should make it as an one-off character, but he'll at least be remembered, much like Midna. Doesn't mean they are very likely to return to Zelda to me, hence I don't count on Ghirahim being playable.

Impa and Tingle are more likely, cause they will reappear sooner or later. If Sheik however will return in the next Zelda, I hereby will vow that from that point on I'll main her in all Smash games to come. No joke either, will even main her in Melee and Brawl then.

Mario would make a great addition to though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So why is it that a one-off character is considered unlikely? Mother****ing Sheik is a one-time character. Oh, but let me guess, you guys are going to justify that it's because he/she/Poison is a part of Zelda.

A character being one-time or not is not an issue at all. Last I checked, that was never part of the criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom