• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
BUT, an Animal Crossing character won't happen. We went to that before right?

Said this before but Link should really get his Shield Bash (even with reflective properties) for his Down B instead of those damn bombs. It'd be a mild counter which wouldn't do damage, and needs a lot better timing than Marth or Ike's counter, but creates a very good opening to attacking. Something Link needs in his game.

Skyward Strike for Side B and I'm happy to. Really happy actually. Replace that Boomerang with something useful already. This would totally work, and is also quite iconic to the older games (as well as SS). The beam would not travel as far as the Boomerang, but it'd do more damage. Up to 14~16% but when stale 7~9%. Wouldn't have the greatest knockback, but still useful as a edgeguard. Can stop projectiles as well.

Make his AAA like the first hit on Toon Link's F Smash, but faster and weaker (and more hits of coarse, but less stun making it difficult still to hit another attack AAA to Ftilt would be a standard combo and could od a sweet 30% in total). Make it good for building up damage, Link needs that (especially with the Bombs gone).

Up B - Spin Attack needs to be much faster, could be done 2 times in a row even but doing it too much would exhaust Link (like Skyward Sword) and make him helpless. Keep the charge function to, and give it 1.5 x the range when it's fully charged.

The Bow needs to be aimable, and you should be able to move with the attack. Similary to how the Cracker Launcher works now, except no jumping and Link would be slower walking with the Bow. Charging stays, but is now slightly faster even than in Brawl.

That is basically how I'd revamp Link, short but sweet. Cause the more I think of it, the more I find Link's (forced) playstyle in Smash totally ********. Link is cool in TLOZ, but in Smash... Not so much. This would totally make me main use him as a secondary character. Diddy will always be first of coarse :awesome:
Link's "theme" in Smash Bros has always been projectiles, so removing over half of them wouldn't really make sense :p plus Bombs are a signature of the Zelda series, and with some reworking the Boomerang could be made into a very useful projectile if used properly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Skyward Strike aka the sword beam is just as iconic, and with that and the Bow, Link still has plenty of projectiles left. 2 projectiles would already be enough, 3 was just overkill. Let Toon Link keep those bombs, I want Link to have the Shield Bash. Also, with a faster Bow I doubt most would miss the bombs. Especially since in Smash they are much different than in Zelda in the first place :/

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Street Fighter and MvC are accessible, even if they have a lot more moves than Smash. It's not only the competitive scene who plays fighting games. I'm awful at SF, Blaz, MvC, and SC, but I still play them because I think they're fun. I taught a group of children between the age of five and nine the ropes of SCII at one point. They knew how to move around the stadium, use the forward slash, the horizontal slash, how to kick and block. That's all you need to know for the game to be accessible.

Were they good? No. Did they enjoy playing it despite that? Yes.
SF and (esspecially) MvC3 are not accessible, which has always been my point. Heck, the moves are even hard to pull off.

SC2 is a little better. Remember, the reason Smash was made was because of the learning curve of fighting games.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
On Link's specials...

B-UTilt would be giving you the light for the Skyward Strike. The next Smash attack would have the Skyward Strike on top of it. B-USmash would be his current Up B.

B-FTilt would be the Boomerang. B-FSmash would be the Shield Bash, function as both an attack and an on reaction counter (not like Marth's).

B-DTilt would be Bombs with 3A allowing you to roll them under a happy tree (now it's a dead tree!). B-DSmash would be the parry from Twilight Princess where Link would hit the opponent on the head.

LB (Light B) would be a straight arrow while HB (Heavy B) would be an aimable arrow.

I think if you wanted to differentiate between the light and heavy neutral B move, it'd be a difference in how long you hold the B button, similar to how you do hops and jumps.

@SmashChu
How exactly are they not accessible. As shortie said, the very basics of them can be taught. I'm sorry that things like z-motions aren't in other games, but what are you going to do that doesn't take away options from people? You just have to learn them like everyone else did.

Heck, if we wanted another example, how about aiming in first person shooters? I'm not used to aiming my shots with a second analog stick. Should they simplify the game by making it auto-aim?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know what arena and true arena is. I have Return to dreamland. I just thought that it would be pretty cool.

:phone:
I said it anyway, just for those who never played that game.

Anyway, because recovery items would be limited, it would only be wise if there are two different variations of All-Star mode; one for the playables; the other for Adventure Mode, along with Master Hand and Crazy Hand.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
SF and (esspecially) MvC3 are not accessible, which has always been my point. Heck, the moves are even hard to pull off.

SC2 is a little better. Remember, the reason Smash was made was because of the learning curve of fighting games.
Yes, the Z motion is hard to pull off, but thats not every attack, and it's not like L-Cancel is easy to use, yet it is definitely an option. Really, it's only as hard as you want it to be.

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
Don't mind me, I'm just inserting my theory based off of existing patterns between the three games' rosters. If anyone wants me to go more in-depth, I can.

Mario
DK
Link
Samus
Yoshi
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Luigi*
Ness*
Falcon*
Purin*

12 new; 67% starting, 33% secret

Koopa
Peach
Zelda/Sheik
Ice Climber
Dr. Mario*
Ganondorf*
Young Link*
Falco*
Mewtwo*
Pichu*
Marth*
Roy*
G&W*

14 new; 36% starting, 64% secret

Wario
Diddy
Zamus
Meta Knight
Dedede
Trainer
Lucas
Ike
Pit
Olimar
Toon Link*
Wolf*
Lucario*
Robot*
Snake*
Sonic*

16 new; 63% starting, 37% secret (25% no-reveal)

=Predicted=

(!) = wanted

Koopa Jr.
Geno (!)
Dixie
Tingle
Little Mac
Takamaru
Isaac (!)
Waluigi*
King K. Rool*
Girahim*
Ridley* (!)
Krystal*
Zoroark*
Mewtwo* (!)
Black Shadow*
Roy* (!)
Medusa*
Rockman* (!)

18 new; 33% starting, 67% secret

Predicted SSB4 Roster:

- Mario
- Peach
- Koopa
- Koopa Jr.
- Wario
- Geno
- DK
- Diddy/Dixie
- Link
- Zelda/Sheik
- Tingle
- Samus/Zamus
- Yoshi
- Kirby
- Meta Knight
- Dedede
- Fox
- Pikachu
- Trainer
- Ness
- Lucas
- Falcon
- Ice Climber
- Ike
- Pit
- Olimar
- Little Mac
- Takamaru
- Isaac
- Luigi*
- Waluigi*
- King K. Rool*
- Ganondorf*
- Toon Link*
- Girahim*
- Ridley*
- Falco*
- Wolf*
- Krystal*
- Purin*
- Mewtwo*
- Lucario*
- Zoroark*
- Black Shadow*
- Marth*
- Roy*
- G&W*
- Medusa*
- Robot*
- Snake*
- Sonic*
- Rockman*

32 starting, 23 secret

6 Mario
3 Spinoff (Wario, Geno, Yoshi)
4 DK
7 Zelda
3 Metroid
3 Kirby
4 Starfox
6 PokeMon
2 Mother
2 F-Zero
5 Retro (Climber, G&W, Robot, Mac, Takamaru)
3 Fire Emblem
2 Icarus
1 Pikmin
1 Golden Sun
3 3rd Party (Snake, Sonic, Rockman)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Where are you from Dark_Ermac? Names like Koopa and Purin are cute.

As for your newcomer list, take out Waluigi and I'm okay with it. Maybe put Syrup or Mona in instead?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@SmashChu
How exactly are they not accessible. As shortie said, the very basics of them can be taught. I'm sorry that things like z-motions aren't in other games, but what are you going to do that doesn't take away options from people? You just have to learn them like everyone else did.

Heck, if we wanted another example, how about aiming in first person shooters? I'm not used to aiming my shots with a second analog stick. Should they simplify the game by making it auto-aim?
What your suggesting is adding a lot to an already complex game. Smash is easier and more accessible than other fighting games, but even it treads a fine line. Trying to teach other people Smash, I've found it can be a little tough.

But the core of Smash is simplicity. How many times do I have to say this! Sakurai has said this himself and the game is successful (meaning you can **** it up). Adding 8 attacks based on motions it a lot of stuff that not only doesn't need to be there, but it just adds junk that better people can use against players who barely know what they are doing.

Why are fighting games complex? Besides the fact that many of them are made for the competitive players, they have a lot of subtlies that just add more and more and make it harder to just play the game. Basically, there is too much fat. Motions are hard enough as it is, but now you other things (in SF, they are EX moves. Other games have other silly junk) that just add and add to it.

The point of Smash was simplicity. That's it role. That's it's identity. That is it's soul. To make Smash like other fighting games would be to make a soulless game. This is the same reason Mario doesn't roll like Sonic does. Mario is about jumping and grabbing mushrooms. Smash is about an easy to pick up and play game.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Newsish stuff. Nintendo of america president announces that there will be info on wii u and wii u games not only at e3 but inbetween to. SSB4 info coming sooner then we think? http://mynintendonews.com/2012/01/1...be-shared-throughout-the-year-not-just-at-e3/
Ooh... That's some good info. Very good...

Shrutil said:
WHOA! This is HUGE! Awesome! That's the most delicious info I've heard all day. Can't WAIT to tell the others about this one.
:phone:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sakurai pretty much said that he does not even consider Smash Bros. to be much of a fighting game, and that he considers people who never played a fighting game in their life in regards to designing Smash Bros.

Also, its a bit saddening that so few people know anything about F-Zero, even in this topic.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Also, its a bit saddening that so few people know anything about F-Zero, even in this topic.
I know about Captain Falcon. I know enough :awesome:

No, seriously, I have played the F-Zero games, I know of them, but I don't get into it because I only want Capt. Falcon 4 SSB4

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, there's not many major choices in F-Zero. Very few have actually fought in general. B. Shadow, Captain Falcon, and Samurai Goroh, I believe, were it.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Newsish stuff. Nintendo of america president announces that there will be info on wii u and wii u games not only at e3 but inbetween to. SSB4 info coming sooner then we think? http://mynintendonews.com/2012/01/1...be-shared-throughout-the-year-not-just-at-e3/
There will not be any SSB4 info anytime soon. Sakurai does not even have a team set up to begin working on the next two games. After hearing that I do not think we will be seeing anything from this game at E3. Not saying will not see something more towards Nintendo's annual Fall Conference, but before that it sounds like we will not even see a trailer.

The real news is that Retro Studios has recently hired artists from Uncharted 3 and Darksiders. One of these recent additions has said that the project he is working on is in "crunch time". [If you want to know the significance of that statement Google the term] After this his Twitter was deleted. Anyways, point is Retro Studios looks to be hush hush on what they are working on. If it is something original maybe it will lends some of it's content into the next game.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Is it because that guy said Black Shadow instead of Samurai Goroh.
No. Black Shadow is a perfectly fine choice for Smash Bros.

I am talking in relation to that no one had much to say in the previous topic about a future Assist Trophy for the F-Zero series.

Fun fact: Black Shadow's voice actor in Japan is Norio Wakamoto, a famous voice actor that is most well known for voicing villains. For you DBZ fans, he did the voice of Cell in Japan. By comparison, Captain Falcon's voice actor for Smash Bros. was Vegeta's Japanese voice actor.

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
Is it because that guy said Black Shadow instead of Samurai Goroh.
I am a firm supporter of Ganondorf -> Black Shadow. I admit that Samurai Goroh would be the better choice, but I would rather have Black Shadow if it means that Ganondorf gets a new moveset.

Also, the roster prediction was only really a half-hearted attempt at one. I just find it funny how the patterns work out so perfectly in coming up with a potential SSB4 roster.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fun fact: Black Shadow's voice actor in Japan is Norio Wakamoto, a famous voice actor that is most well known for voicing villains. For you DBZ fans, he did the voice of Cell in Japan. By comparison, Captain Falcon's voice actor for Smash Bros. was Vegeta's Japanese voice actor.
Cell was awesome. B. Shadow is now instantly awesome. :awesome: Also, yeah, B. Shadow should be in as is. Regardless of AT or playable.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
There will not be any SSB4 info anytime soon. Sakurai does not even have a team set up to begin working on the next two games. After hearing that I do not think we will be seeing anything from this game at E3. Not saying will not see something more towards Nintendo's annual Fall Conference, but before that it sounds like we will not even see a trailer.
Like I said, we should see something in March or April if he gets a team soon. I did think about it, and my final judgement is July.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yes, I am starting to think now we might not even get a trailer for Smash 4 at E3 2012. Looks like we will be doing speculation in the dark for possibly up to 1.5 years.

If we do get something about Smash Bros. at E3 2012, it will be some vague details about it.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Yes, I am starting to think now we might not even get a trailer for Smash 4 at E3 2012. Looks like we will be doing speculation in the dark for possibly up to 1.5 years.

If we do get something about Smash Bros. at E3 2012, it will be some vague details about it.
Give us the title, at the least. I'm getting VERY sick of Universe being even mentioned.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

No, we won't have to wait that long.

Wow, how'd you guys forget about TGS already.
I haven't, but I think it is more like Nintendo to reveal something that significant at their Fall Conference around October-November. By that time the Wii U will have already been released or close to that time. Sounds reasonable.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not every series needs an AT to represent it, that's why we have characters and stages.

I would prefer Goroh, but BS is a good choice as well.

Also having BS in just to give Ganondorf his sword for an attack doesn't sit all that well in my book.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Wow, how'd you guys forget about TGS already.
Nintendo rarely does anything at at TGS.

Since the American market is by far the largest, a North American avenue for reveal is the best way to get everyone's attention on the game. Since Smash 4 probably won't show up at E3 2012, we may have to wait until 2013 before we see anything.

D

Deleted member

It's a shame that we're likely not getting anything at E3 2012. I have been having a feeling that Sakurai is not going to show anything at E3 2012. It's not like we can get a trailer out in time for E3 2012 with just two months.

Hopefully, lots of awesome games for the Wii U are shown. E3 2010 was fantastic and I want to see a repeat of that quality (no scratch that, even better).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It's a shame that we're likely not getting anything at E3 2012. I have been having a feeling that Sakurai is not going to show anything at E3 2012. It's not like we can get a trailer out in time for E3 2012 with just two months.

Hopefully, lots of awesome games for the Wii U are shown. E3 2010 was fantastic and I want to see a repeat of that quality (no scratch that, even better).
I am bummed that we are likely not getting Smash 4 at E3. At the very least I would like for Iwata to at least say when an unveil for it would come.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Asage: Haha. :p

Well I think at least we'll be told at E3 that development has started, as to keep the hype and interest train going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom