• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So, just to be clear, we're not getting all HUFFY because of something Asage said, right? Was that really in Nintendo Power or was Asage just looking for attention like always. BUT LIKE TRYPHEN SAID, it's E3. Everyone should be looking forward to it anyway, whether or not Smash is there.

Baby Steps!
I doubt he would make that up, but you never know. Either way E3 will be exciting to watch just to see the real unveiling of the Wii U. Regardless of whether Super Smash Bros information is present or not. Right now I do not particularly care. I have intense classes this semester that are consuming most of my time.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oop. Nope. Other people are talking about it:

• "I love freedom in games," says Sakurai. "I don't mean the sort of freedom where you're thrown into some empty wasteland... I like to make games that can be enjoyed like a buffet, where players are free to have as much as they want of whatever they want."
• controls feel smoother and weightier than in DS games like Metroid Prime Hunters
• fun truly begins in the ground part of the levels
• levels are frantically paced and full of surprises, as Sakurai calls it, "escalating the situation."
• a constant stream of dialogue between the characters that works like a charm because of clever writing and strong performances
• playful banter such as Pit collecting an item from the first Kid Icarus and Palutena remarking that it looks less pixelated than she remembers and a partner expressing shock that Pit would open a treasure chest right in the open without thinking it might be a trap
• Playful, teasing Palutena and enthusiastic, self-deprecating Pit make a perfect comedy duo
• there are no cutscenes in which there is a screen of text to read or watching an long event with no player-interaction, the story and character dialogue unfolds during the heat of the gameplay
• not sure how long the game is, but NP reached up to Chapter 8 with no ending in sight
• huge arsenal of weapons increase the game's replayability
• nine different categories of weapons filled with differing properties and special abilities for each one
• there's no best weapon, but just the best weapon for you
• Sakurai hinted at hard challenges to give players good reason to find the best weapons
• "We've added a certain unique system to address the original game's reputation for being quite challenging."
• development team has everyone from 8-bit veterans to first-ever job rookies
• the humorous mood of Kid Icarus had to be retained in Uprising
• Kid Icarus had to evolve dramatically, but in a way that would feel right
• "Nobody's happy when a developer makes dramatic changes based on personal whims, and I assure you our changes have been made with a great deal of respect for the original game."
• Sakurai had misgivings about showing off the game in an unfinished state at expos, and feels confident that the final product will be a dramatic improvement over what they've shown before
• there's a lot of talking, but Sakurai believes that movies are better at telling stories than games, so Kid Icarus: Uprising will not force players to sit and watch a cutscene but play the game as the characters speak
• Greek mythology had no influence in Kid Icarus: Uprising because it's based on the world of the original Kid Icarus, which still had many influences from Greek mythology
• Sakurai has supervised the work of the animation studios working on the Kid Icarus shorts, but will let them do their own thing
• amount of weapons and items was designed from the start
• "Development won't go smoothly if the team doesn't know what goals they have to meet, so we have to figure out exactly how much content we're going to make at the very beginning of the project."
• Pit's bright, chatty character makes him different from Nintendo characters like Mario, Link, or Kirby, who were made for gameplay and don't show much personatlity
• Sakurai has played so much 3D that playing 2D makes it harder for him to play, and the game has ranged attacks
• game collectables were originally going to be like Smash Bros. trophies, but once they realized what the 3DS had to offer, they went with the AR cards
• Sakurai felt that a trading card-like concept would be too complicated, so the AR cards are simple to play
when asked by NP about reviving another dormant franchise or character, Sakurai mused that if there was such a character, he might be planning it for the next Smash Bros.
• "You know, you could probably say that I'm the best in the world when it comes to giving second acts to classic video game characters. That's mostly due to Smash Bros... and now I can't believe I'm doing the same thing for Kid Icarus!"
• a weapon seed can be passed around using Streetpass that contain information about a weapon and can be bought by paying hearts
• the game has a huge amount of weapons with each one having a value
• multiplayer mode has more balanced weapons
• Japanese dialogue is funny, but Sakurai isn't familar with the English dialogue, so credit would have to go to NOA
• Kid Icarus: Uprising was a challenging game to make, and by portable game standards, Sakurai tried to make it just as challenging for us to play, even though it's accessible to beginners
• next Smash Bros. will depend of the team after Kid Icarus, and it may take a while, so be patient for that
AR Cards instead of trophies confirmed?

Oh goodness, please be Mach Rider.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
• when asked by NP about reviving another dormant franchise or character, Sakurai mused that if there was such a character, he might be planning it for the next Smash Bros.

Mach Rider confirmed?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Did Sakurai ever say he liked Takamaru's game? I feel like I've heard that before. Of course, that could also just be another Sigurd case from the pre-Brawl days.

And of course, he could just, y'know, like games. Not an indication he wants to reinvent it.

BALLOON FIGHTER: UNTIED.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Oasis: Where did all of that info come from?

Playful, teasing Palutena and enthusiastic, self-deprecating Pit make a perfect comedy duo

It's nice to see a lot going into character development. Nerd Glasses! :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Did Sakurai ever say he liked Takamaru's game? I feel like I've heard that before. Of course, that could also just be another Sigurd case from the pre-Brawl days.

And of course, he could just, y'know, like games. Not an indication he wants to reinvent it.
No, you are thinking of Lip (Sakurai called Panel de Pon a masterpiece that everyone should play if they ever get the chance).

What Sakurai said about Takamaru was that if he ever got a new game, he would consider him. Whether his cameo appearance in Samurai Warriors 3 constitutes a new game is debatable.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
NAH, I've heard both of those tidbits plenty of times. Guess it was made up by some chump or my brain.

Takamaru is getting a 3D Classics remake too, I hear. Wonder if that counts.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think Mach Rider and Takamaru are the most likely candidates for the next "resurrection" by Sakurai. I don't think Lip is possible because her series is basically controlled by Intelligent Systems and gameplay to it is very well defined, and I would think Sakurai would want to choose a character in which he could have a lot of freedom if he decided to make a resurrection game for.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You can't exactly resurrect a series that's still going strong, right? Panel de Pon has become Puzzle League, right? Last game was in 2009. CAN'T BE LIP.

But yeah, Murasame Castle would be great with the MotionPlus, and Mach Rider fits perfectly on the 3DS.

Not like he can't do both. It's good for a company to have plans for their future. Especially one as young as Sora. :troll:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
• when asked by NP about reviving another dormant franchise or character, Sakurai mused that if there was such a character, he might be planning it for the next Smash Bros.

Mach Rider confirmed?
Wow. We literally got a legitimate Super Smash Bros hint from Sakurai. Well doesn't that beat all... I guess I can be expecting a new retro revival character now.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am wondering now whether we may even get a Kid Icarus character. It seems a large part of Palutena is the banter she has with Pit. If Palutena is not made into a playable character I can easily see her having conversations with Pit on each of Smash Bros.'s characters (think Snake) if you taunt a certain way on the new Kid Icarus stage.

Well, hopefully we will have a much better idea once Kid Icarus Uprising and the OVAs are released.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Y'know... Mach Rider did pretty much get the Pit treatment in Melee. That design Sakurai gave him as a trophy was Sakurai's own. Looks pretty different from his in-game appearance even.

Maybe Mach Rider was meant to be the clone of Falcon, before Ganondorf's popularity (and LUCK) forced him in. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

I'm seriously thinking that Takamaru will be the next retro character Sakurai revives and I do think Takamaru is next for the non-WTF retro character.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
BTW Ice Climbers?

Just as a thought.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Duck Hunt Dog... the ideal retro newcomer. Now that dog was one of Nintendo All-Stars during the NES era. Ducks, clay pigeons, the NES Zapper light gun, and that laugh... there's so much stuff the dog could bring to the battlefield.

:phone:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Does anyone else having anything to add in regards to my thoughts on Palutena in light of the new Uprising info?

The fact that Sakurai may have mostly left the animation studios to their own devices though increases the chances that Palutena's OVAs may contain some fanservice.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Your thoughts on Palutena are pretty much what I've been telling Tryphen. Palutena doesn't fight but can be accommodated with roles more befitting of her in Smash.

Medusa is the fighter of course. BD

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Does anyone else having anything to add in regards to my thoughts on Palutena in light of the new Uprising info?

The fact that Sakurai may have mostly left the animation studios to their own devices though increases the chances that Palutena's OVAs may contain some fanservice.
Besides being in every KI to begin with, Sakurai does seem to have shown a lot of bias torwards her:

• Only NPC in SSE
  • Was also redesigned like Pit
  • Was added to Pit's FS (Pit's FS is based on boss fights in the original game, Palutena never appeared in it, so her cameo in the attack was purely optional, unlike Toad)
  • Throw in all the the character he seems to be giving her (NERD GLASSES!).
I will also say that, Dark Pit and Magnus could upstage Medusa and harm her popularity. It's a tough call though, seeing as the game will have a lenghty storyline, and we have not see her outside of her taunting Pit in trailers.

@Oasis: :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am still going to wait until Kid Icarus Uprising is released before I have an actual opinion on the Kid Icarus goddesses. So another two months I guess.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm seriously thinking that Takamaru will be the next retro character Sakurai revives and I do think Takamaru is next for the non-WTF retro character.
Yes... we usually get one non-WTF retro newcomer from the Famicom Disk System and one WTF retro newcomer relating to Nintendo hardware.

Melee: Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch (Game & Watch units)
Brawl: Pit and R.O.B. (the NES robot itself)
Smash 4: Takamaru and Duck Hunt Dog (NES Zapper)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Thinking about it though. I don't think there is really much fanservice they can really do for Palutena in the OVAs considering the game is aimed at a E10+ audience.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Either way, fans still want more female characters. Palutena and Medusa would satisfy the hungry masses who are apparently deprived of some T&A.

That's how we got Zero Suit Samus.:awesome:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Either way, fans still want more female characters. Palutena and Medusa would satisfy the hungry masses who are are apparently deprived of some T&A.

That they would, and I think Sakurai knows that too. They are both regarded as highly attractive too.

A little point to add is that the journal post in which a fan asked for Lip mentioned that he/she thought Lip would be a good addition since there were so few female characters in Smash Bros, so Sakurai definitely knows of this "we need moar femalez" sentiment. Keep in mind one of the main reasons he added Zero Suit Samus was to put another female character on the roster.

D

Deleted member

I think that Sakurai has found the perfect female choices in Palutena and Medusa. These are the choices that will be the ones that fans are asking for the most and one will be the most seriously considered. So Sakurai doesn't need to do much digging for females.

...uh oh, Shortie's poll is not working.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Likewise, he's got Krystal, Dixie Kong, Daisy(I'd say a powerful person in Sports can fight), Ashley, Kat & Ana(them mainly so), and Lip for all possible choices. He's got a plethora here.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's so obvious, you guys! Palutena and Medusa are the best choices we currently have for the female characters (besides Dixie Kong). They come from a popular franchise (it was back in the 80's) and they are currently relevant thanks to this grand revival for the 3DS... in spite of this franchise not having a game in over 20 years, Uprising is treated as an A-list game, comparable with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. and not given subpar marketing like Nintendo did with Fossil Fighters, Steel Diver, Chibi-Robo, etc.

Not only that but they also are likely to have Sakurai's bias because he was the one who redesigned them and worked on reviving this franchise. And they got sex appeal... Medusa's side boob... Palutena's legs... remember Peach's underwear in Melee? Imagine that with Palutena.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oh yeah. That stupid stocking. Why wouldn't you even want to wear two? Palutena is so stupid.

Oasis_Stockings?

By the way it's ridiculous that Sakurai counted ZSSamus as "another" female character. "With all that bulky armor on, I can't see her breasts."

D

Deleted member

I don't think sex appeal will help their odds, but it will help their popularity. It's their character that matters and the role they play. Which I imagine will be major roles for both characters.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Mach Rider confirmed?
Very interesting. I'm sure the character will work very well in Smash.

BALLOON FIGHTER: UNTIED.
Might be Takamaru. His game is a classic in Japan. Mach Rider would be boss tough.

Oh, and I agree with Arcadenik for once.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It's so obvious, you guys! Palutena and Medusa are the best choices we currently have for the female characters (besides Dixie Kong).
Yep. It will be very interesting once there is much more awareness about those two characters, especially considering they are the two of the three most important characters to that series as opposed to being side characters (like most other Nintendo females are).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
New information on KI, hum. Lol, Palutena keeps getting wittier! She and Pit totally make a GREAT DUO OF HILARITY!

But Sakurai actually hints about some character being revived in SSB?

Mach Rider could be indeed... or someone MORE obsure. (-l,l-); (Not Lip, even if Puzzle League's not been continued since 2007)

Chrono: I wonder too if there's any indication of Palutena taking much action herself at the end. Just wish a bit there'll be. (-lwl-);

Sakurai, trying to do a brainwrecking difficult game like the 1st one? CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. Just TRY to wreck my brain second time on KI with your title. I dare ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom