• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't really expect him to get 'much' worse actually. Just look at Marth and Falco in Brawl, they got about the same tier placement as in Melee. Falco being only slightly worse perhaps...

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I see what you mean.

I'm glad you pointed that out. For the sake of discussion, we should be mentioning ways in which Metaknight should be balanced for Smash 4.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It is rather odd that Meta Knight is the very first Smash Bros. character to be banned from competitions. And the irony is, he doesn't even have a projectile attack.
Surprising it took this long as they ban everything else. It was innevitable they would ban a character. Competitive Smash is a joke in that it doesn't even play Smash Brothers. It's playing some weird game that just looks like Smash.

The reason why MK is banned is because his attacks have extremely high priority, high speed, and some have good power (nair, dair, smash, smash and up special)
Correction: Competitive players and the URC are huge n00bs and don't want to deal with it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How you mean competive Smash is not Smash exactly?? If anything those guys would know exactly what is broken about a character and what not...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't really expect him to get 'much' worse actually. Just look at Marth and Falco in Brawl, they got about the same tier placement as in Melee. Falco being only slightly worse perhaps...
In the 'buff' department, Kirby pretty much needs to head back to his N64 days.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How you mean competive Smash is not Smash exactly?? If anything those guys would know exactly what is broken about a character and what not...
I'll give you the quick version of what he's gonna say/

Competitive Smash is taking away the items and crazy stages and is played 1-on-1. SmashChu believes that none of it should be taken away and should be played in FFA.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Correction: Competitive players and the URC are huge n00bs and don't want to deal with it.
MK won many tournys, and apparently he was hard to beat. So, yeah, your definition is beautiful towards competitive play as is.

But I believe it's an option, wheither you wanna pay gas money to go play SSBB at a strangers house and earn money, or have fun, and keep your wallet full :facepalm:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'll give you the quick version of what he's gonna say/

Competitive Smash is taking away the items and crazy stages and is played 1-on-1. SmashChu believes that none of it should be taken away and should be played in FFA.
That's nonsence, Ganon would still be as bad as he is and probably even WAY WORSE when played with items and weird *** stages (which Brawl was full of).

And Kirby was perfectly fine in Brawl. If anything all characters should have equal options to each other wether offensive or defensiv., Kirby is still a lot better than a lot of characters in Brawl.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
And Kirby was perfectly fine in Brawl. If anything all characters should have equal options to each other wether offensive or defensiv., Kirby is still a lot better than a lot of characters in Brawl.
You try to make it where everyone has the same options, then you've got yourself a balanced, but boring game.

Guilty Gear is regarded to being the most balanced 2D fighter and the diversity in that game in playstyles is amazing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's no pinpoint definition of how Smash should be played.
Exactly. Brawl, and the other Smashes were made to be played however you want. If Items were meant to be on, we couldn't take them off. Tripping was meant to stay on, hence why we can't remove it. Not all Stages were meant to be on either, or any Item, as we have the option.

Yes, it's true Sakurai thinks it's the most FUN to play FFA with Items and all Stages. He did say that. What isn't true is that he thinks people should not ever play it differently. Fun is subjective.

I think competitive gameplay is a lot of fun, and play that kind of stuff too. I hate the developer's intent argument, as it's bullcrap since it really has no effect on the community whatsoever. This isn't like hacks, which yeah, are different. We can do all this, have only specific items and stages on, and have fun with the game. There's nothing wrong with that. Also, don't mention Wi-Fi, as it's laggy, and is not indicative of balance either.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Then what is so boring about that game if it's perfectly balanced and has so many diversity Kuma? I doubt Smash would be boring if it was balanced.

And items couldn't be turned of in 64 at first, you had to unlock that function iirc.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
So what SmashChu is relatively stating, is that we create the boundaries of what makes a "fair" competitive experience.

That means a controlled environment of the game's options. But hey, its a community effort.

D

Deleted member

I'd like to see Meta-Knight nerfed. Luckily for us, Japanese gamers also agree. Ganondorf also needs a buff.
nLiM8d said:
At the end of the day, I'd like some variation where audience members (Paper Mario) can run down the battlefield 2:22
I would love this. A Paper Mario stage would be perfect for this.
Shortiecanbrawl said:
Actually, Saurai MAY CARE TO AN EXTENT about over representation, I recall reading an article where they used those exact words, but I don't think it was simply oriented towards characters. I think it was just trying to not have TOO MUCH MARIO, or ZELDA (Something he actually says he DOESN'T WANT) content in Smash. Trying to keep it even in that respects. Nothing like Smash congress which so many people like to turn this into.
It probably isn't related to characters, but more likely, stages that he's worried about. The only thing that we know for sure is that he was afraid of overreping Kirby in Melee in regards to the subject and I doubt it extends to other franchises.
--- said:
Now who would be the 3rd party neutral pick?
The closest one to it will be Mega Man. Everyone else would receive a big back lash from the community since there are no other popular suggestions.
Hoots said:
Although I REALLY question the roster choices... A fat Bee? Metal Mario? WIGGLER? Come on, man!
Here's a question I'd like to pose to Nintendo someday, do they seriously try to troll fans with the roster?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Then what is so boring about that game if it's perfectly balanced and has so many diversity Kuma? I doubt Smash would be boring if it was balanced.

And items couldn't be turned of in 64 at first, you had to unlock that function iirc.
It would be boring if everyone had the same options. It would mean everyone, for example, would play like Mario. Ideally, you should have an incredible diverse roster of playstyles that are all balanced against each other.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well with items on Ganondorf would even have harder times cause he's pretty much defenceless against them, and items can be thrown most of the time and what would hurt his bad recovery even more. Not to mention he wouldn't probably be able to grab the items cause he's so damn slow...

Not telling you not to enjoy the game as you like though. Items can be fun.

It would be boring if everyone had the same options. It would mean everyone, for example, would play like Mario. Ideally, you should have an incredible diverse roster of playstyles that are all balanced against each other.
This is what I meant all along actually.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

But you could still do it later. Notably, many really did stop playing with them for competition soon enough. It makes sense, since they're game winners in their own right. Exploding capsules, anyone?

No, lack of diversity is bad. That's like if you couldn't choose anything but Fox, No Items, Final Destination only.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I question why the biggest badasses of these iconic games are such jokes. Is it because they laughed at the proposal that DDD's relationship with Kirby would be antagonistic?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, having each character offer different pros and cons helps make them more unique. It can get very dull if everyone has the same pros and cons.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I question why the biggest badasses of these iconic games are such jokes. Is it because they laughed at the proposal that DDD's relationship with Kirby is antagonistic?
As I said before, Samus (64 and Brawl though), Ganon (Brawl obviously), Ness and Mewtwo come in mind. Link to of coarse, but he'd still logically be weaker than the other 4. Doesn't give a good reason to be sucky in all the games thus far.

I remember everyone be so happy about Link when Brawl was released. It didn't last long however...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I question why the biggest badasses of these iconic games are such jokes. Is it because they laughed at the proposal that DDD's relationship with Kirby would be antagonistic?
Um, isn't Meta Knight one of those badasses? And the entire StarFox team?

To be fair, Ganondorf was always badass as an NPC/Enemy. Now, if we could play him in a Zelda game, I could see him being pretty good. He was always pretty good in Melee.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's kind of funny how when SmashChu talks about how Smash is, everyone sides with Kuma, but when Kuma mentions his ideas for how Smash could be, everyone backs away from him.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As I said before, Samus (64 and Brawl though), Ganon (Brawl obviously), Ness and Mewtwo come in mind. Link to of coarse, but he'd still logically be weaker than the other 4. Doesn't give a good reason to be sucky in all the games thus far.

I remember everyone be so happy about Link when Brawl was released. It didn't last long however...
Yoshi could afford to get buffed too. One thing that should be considered is giving Yoshi a true third jump, and make the Egg Throw a side special move.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I'll neutralize your insolence! Watch this foot go directly up that cybernetic ***.

Oh "ha ha", (N)ice

make the Egg Throw a side special move.
Let him aim that ****!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yoshi could afford to get buffed too. One thing that should be considered is giving Yoshi a true third jump, and make the Egg Throw a side special move.
Link especially stands out cause he's been bad all the time. Yoshi wasn't always bad, just mediocore, but besides a real Up B (and indeed Egg Throw woud work as Side B good) he would be very easy to fix.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It's kind of funny how when SmashChu talks about how Smash is, everyone sides with Kuma, but when Kuma mentions his ideas for how Smash could be, everyone backs away from him.
Actually I side with the other on different points. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom