• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
You guys r on 24/7 about a game that's not going to come out for another 2/3 years. You guys wanna do it? Fine, be my guest. But this speculation bs gets the game nowhere. You think they care about Smashboard's opinions are on this game? No, they don't.
And do we care about what they care about? No, we're just having friendly discussion about a game we share the same passion for. I don't see what's wrong with that

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh yeah, so since Xenoblade is coming here in April, apparently, I am putting off watching the playthrough to avoid spoilers. Sorry if this disappointed anyone who remembered! xD

Afterwards, I may finish my Shulk moveset.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
KUMA, I recall you LIKED my "Only handheld characters should star in SSBDS" rule back Pre 2010 E3. IF YOU COULD MAKE THAT RULE APPLY TO SSB3DS, would you?

Here's the old ROSTER, if you need to REFRESHER. I would also like to point out, BACK THEN I thought Prof. Layton was a first/second party. Now that I know he is, of COURSE I would rearrange the set up!

I'm gonna use this quote from now on whenever someoen suggests Olimar getting cut
He cut ANIMAL CROSSING~

From being PLAYABLE, anyways. The fact that they had a level, AND an AT only helps further the AC rumor.

TomNookForLife

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Cool Down Time.

@Oasis: I think you need to work on your Japanese, although I am impressed that you knew asa. ;)

And do we care about what they care about? No, we're just having friendly discussion about a game we share the same passion for. I don't see what's wrong with that
Post of the Day.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I keep reading it that way too. Love how the name sausage is still relevant.
KUMA, I recall you LIKED my "Only handheld characters should star in SSBDS" rule back Pre 2010 E3. IF YOU COULD MAKE THAT RULE APPLY TO SSB3DS, would you?
At the time, I was under the idea that SSB DS would be a separate game in the series. Nowadays, I don't think such restrictions are necessary. As you know, I'm pro-universal roster.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
...Ok, that's the last straw.
Ignore shortie. Sometimes he acts like a little kid. Just ignore him and move on.

What are you two even argueing about?

Character vs Style? We have BOTH. Sakurai thinks in character when developing a character, and we CATAGORIZE the characters he made into these different little sets we call styles. I don't see what you're getting at? The fact that Kuma thinks in styles, and you would prefer he didn't?

I just WANT TO UNDERSTAND why this is even being talked about.
Read this

Like with any discussion, you'll have to follow it the whole way though.

I remember reading something a long time ago about how Ice Climbers & Balloon Fighter were tied in a poll to see who will be playable in Melee. I would provide the link, but its in japanese and I cant find it. From what was read, I think it said that Sakurai went with Ice Climbers since Balloon Fighter can only fight with balloons, which I disagree.

Speaking of retros, check out the completed sprited move set animation I made for Duck Hunt Dog :D
http://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/t99-duck-hunt-dog-complete
I'm not sure how true it is. I've heard a lot of crazy stuff about 64 and Melee's development, a lot of which are not true. I can say that Sakurai put a lot of retro characters together because he wanted a Famicom characters** Sakurai specificlly mentioned Excite Bike guy, Balloon Fighter, Bubbles (Clu Clu Land), Ducks from Duck Hunt, the Urban Fight guy, and, of course, Ice Climbers. Not sure how clear he was on why he picked them.

**For those who don't know, there is a difference between the Famicom and the Famicom Disk System where in the US it was just the NES. The Famicom has Mario and a lot of other games and this is what Sakurai was choosing against. These are games we got here too and they were the earlier games (Duck Hunt, ice Climbers, Balloon Fight). The Famicom Disk System was released later and used floppy disk. It was a better Famicom and hooked onto the old one. This would be Metroid and The Legend of Zelda. If anyone talks about the Famicom Disk System characters, they mean Link, Samus, Pit and Takamaru.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah, I suppose. I was ACTUALLY excited back then for a Small roster Smash. Y'Know, like, we could have had it spawn into a HANDHELD SPIN OFF. Like, in terms of rosters anyways.

DS roster wouldn't have had to follow the same set of rules as the console version. So sad this never came to be :l

Ignore shortie. Sometimes he acts like a little kid. Just ignore him and move on.
Or don't, and make my day :3

This is the only part of this post that is a response.

You fail to see what I'm getting at. You think in styles. I think in characters. What you mentioned about Ridley and Toad are styles. That is the developer trying to define the playstyle. Players define that.

"But you can't slap everything together." Again, you miss the point. The point is not planning vs not planning. Sakurai plans everything from the get go, so it's not that. The difference is character vs style. Sakurai picks the characters, than pick the moves he wants to use all of which are based on the character. What your doing is what Capcom does which is either take a character and plan a moveset for them. The extreme is only pick characters that are unique and dump the rest (i.e. Megaman and MvC 3). EDIT: I wrote that wrong. I think I meant they take a moveset and plan a character to fit it or only pick ones that will result in a unique moveset. Yeah, sorry for the confusion.

Take this: You said Ridley is a counter character with great air control and Toad is a grappler. What moves make them do that. Are they moves that character does. basically, how is X what you said it was. It all leads back to picking a character and than picking moves.

As far as balance is concerned, that will always be a problem and I have yet to see a game on release be balanced. Example is Blizzard is VERY good at that, but even games like Starcraft were broken on release. Real balance comes from good patching.

First, the second paragraph is wrong. Someone getting a review copy is not a sale. Most trackers take from retail data.

Second, I'm not going to talk about sales because that wasn't the point and never was. Again, your changing the topic because you can't keep going.

I'll finish it with this. The point is to understand Smash, not try to bend the rules because you don't like Smash as it is. What I'm trying to get people to do is focus and understand Smash. It is our best window into how to do a well loved cross over game.

Also, I'm not sure what was so hard to get. SSBF and asage94 pretty much got it.
Wait a minute.....

So what about Snake, Wario, Zelda, Jiggs, (other characters). Don't they have moves that all help their "certain" playstyle? Oh and playstyles aren't the thing of Sakurai. He just picks the characters. The playstyles are identified by the players of the game.

Chu is right regarding what Sakurai thinks. You see.... The 2 points, one being Sakurai only paying attention the the character and the other regarding the playstyles are waaaay too disjointed to be argued about. Playstyles are just something we have fun trying to predict and wish for but it's not as likely. Characters are actually not so hard to predict even though it's not assured. They're practically 2 different topics so I don't understand the point of debating about them.......... FUN FACT: Most of the character's playstyles in competitive brawl resemble to most SF and MvC fighters. Just sayin'

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
FUN FACT: Most of the character's playstyles in competitive brawl resemble to most SF and MvC fighters. Just sayin'
Really? Well that makes me glad I looked at those games with my Palutena moveset, and a few of my upcoming movesets.

So um...

Players = Classifying playstyles

Sakurai = Characters

All of this playstyle descriptions are just wishes ya know... Don't take them so seriously. Just have fun making them for the lulz as we wait for the game

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
SmashChuuu... How do you see Ridley? :3
Fires fireballs. Is huge, but still probably lighter than Bowser. Slower on ground, faster in air. Has a ramming move, maybe his up special is a grab move where he slams you into the ground. Probably attacks with his tail.

I'll try to get to the other comments soon (including your beserker).

Really? Well that makes me glad I looked at those games with my Palutena moveset, and a few of my upcoming movesets.
It's fine to do that. NO need to be restricted.

ANYWAY BACK TO CHU.....

And one more thing... Did you know that only 1/16 of the moves in my movesets are ripped from SF. Most of them are just either from SSU or they're original. Also, there are characters who are extremeeeeely reliant on mix ups. Problem is that this is in the view of the competitive side. Most of the characters are not so reliant on mix ups but once you take up competitive, you'll find out that mix ups are pretty much important in the game. I know Sakurai never notices but ERM... OKAY. In general, Smash is simple at first but competitively speaking, it's seriously complicated. Please understand that this is aimed towards the competitive side rather than the casual side. Casuals can enjoy playing the game casually and competitives can enjoy the game competitively. Pretty much goes like that in most fighting games.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Shouldn't Bowser remain the largest character? Nothing saying they can't make him BIGGER. Bowser just makes sense as the biggest and heaviest character.

And probably attacks with his tail? Oh you.

Also:
Oasis, your the most interesting person on this board. Why would I hurt you? Plus, who else is going to make silly pictures about the dumb crap that goes on here.

So....
Mario

A well rounded character who can combo and zone. He has a mix of attacks that are used for zoning or for rush down. A good character to begin with. Easy to learn but actually, hard to master.

Luigi

He's rounded at first glance but once you play as him, he's the "cowardly aggressive type". He has tools for rushing down nicely and running away. He can chunk out a lot of damage although he has low traction leaving him open for punishment. Be CAREFUL (Cowardly part) and beat up your opponent (Aggressive part)!

Peach

Peach has a special ability to glide which plays a great role in her rushdown game. She can do any sort of rush down from her high priority aerials to her turnip projectile although.... Be wary of her low weight

Bowser

Bowser is a terrifying enemy that relies on his strong, quick and powerful attacks mixed with his grabs. Most of his attacks are armored. He is the heaviest character in the game but that makes him open to a lot of combos.

Toad

With his stubby legs and repeated history of being kidnapped, Toad doesn't seem like much of the fighting type. When the going gets tough, Toad shows what he's made of with his super speed and super strength. Given his size, Toad can move around quite easily and use his strength to catch the opponent literally off guard and to strike at various angles with fury.

Bowser Jr.

Jr. is a small brute that relies on his paintbrush specials to set up for offense. His normals lack range but they do pack a punch. His paintbrush specials combined with his normals make Jr. one of the most annoying characters to deal with but using Jr. will require wise usage of paint specials and precise usage of normals.

Paper Mario

(No favored moveset so far)

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong is a powerhouse that can deal a ton of damage in a matter of hits. What makes it even scarier is that his attacks have long range... He's also the 3rd heaviest in the game losing only to Bowser and K Rool but just like them, he's a target for long combos.

Diddy Kong

Diddy is an agile character who can easily run around the stage thanks to his number of mobile options. He can shoot peanuts while using the jet pack, rush down the enemy using Monkey Flip or control the stage using bananas. Diddy is gonna be hard to hit but once he is hit, it's gonna get rough (Diddy doesn't have that much weight).

King K Rool

K Rool is the slow jack of all trades type. He can actually approach and prevent foes from approaching, and quite well at that. He can be where he wants to be, should he play intelligently. While this might seem broken when coupled with his power, if a fast foe should get right up in K. Rool's face, he's dead meat. No literally, he is dead meat, as he'll be making up a delicious meal of combo food for the small fast character. K. Rool is the largest character in the game, meaning it's absurdly easy for someone like Fox or Shiek to come up to him and utilt him in mass for over 50% damage, or for even Ganondorf to dtilt his percentage up.

Dixie Kong

Dixie's main asset is her defensive abilities. Although she is sent flying more easily than Diddy, she makes up for it in several more ways than one. Dixie forgoes Diddy's bananas for the strongest & most versatile counter in the game. Although it can absorb energy projectiles, w/ its slow startup delay, she might be better off using Side B for most of those, perhaps w/ an exception to Fireballs, Thunder Jolts, PK Thunders, & energy projectiles used from some distance. Her bubble attacks also have a sort of secondary counter effect. Dixie's Neutral B is like a medium between Marth's & Ike's Neutral B, except w/ an arguably better hitbox, growing in size as it does w/ power, & can auto-execute for defensive purposes. Also of note is her shield. Being slightly bigger than other fighters of similar size, it can take a bit more punishment. Although the set knockback of her Side B means she won't be KO'ing anyone with it any time soon, its awesome knockback resistance stops would-be jugglers cold. Finally, although Dixie can definitely hold her own in 1v1s, it is in team battles where she really shines. Shines with blinding awesomeness at that.

Link

Link relies on his numerous amount of weapons to zone. He has combo potential but unfortunately, his sword attacks aren't so fast. His sword, arrows and boomerang specials can be used to fend off enemies. His bombs can be used to set up defenses and his clawshots can be to punish rush downs (Or just--- straighforward.... stop them).

Zelda

Zelda is known as "The zoning queen". She has some of the best projectiles in the game such as Din's fire and the triforce trap. Din's fire is used for zoning in general and can be capable for set ups. Her triforce trap is a scary tool used to fend off rush downs. Unfortunately, her normals aren't so great and they lack speed.

Ganondorf

Ganondorf is known to be "The weakest of the hard hitters". Though in trade, his attacks are much faster than those of the big hard hitters and he's rather more mobile than them. He can also set up for offense using his lightning ball and rush down using his gerudo charge.

Toon Link

Toon Link is sort of like Link except he has a lot more safer options when it comes to rush down. He can do both rush down and zoning so he's pretty much a tiny jack-of-all-trades that's pretty easy to kill once he's hit.

Ghirahim

Ghirahim is an opportunistic, sadistic character. Ghirahim can use his daggers to camp or release his buzzsaw dagger projectile as both a punishment and an easy way to start a combo due to the length of the attack. He also uses his teleports, dashes, and counter attack to make the opponent rage which is just what Ghirahim wants.

Samus

Samus is a projectile rush down type. She uses her fast firing charge shots along with her missiles and bombs to rush down the enemy. Unfortunately, Samus is actually an easy character to hit so be careful with her so learn when to run or rush down.

Ridley

Ridley is known for eating the flesh of victims and the way he fights reflects that. Ridley likes to stay in the air, waiting for his food er... opponents to come in and try to attack. Try as they might, Ridley has many ways to make the opponent sorry for coming in, and to make matters worse, he can easily trap the opponent after getting them into his attacks make it seem like there is no end to Ridley's onslaught.

Dark Samus

Dark Samus.... IS LIKE SAMUS. No moveset so far

Yoshi

Yoshi is a hard hitter that relies on his mobility in the air to get in the opponent. Most of his aerials are spastic but they deal a ton of shield damage and pretty much base damage in general. Though he is lacking in the recovery and KO department, he's extremely good when it comes to racking up damage.

Kirby

Kirby is a rush down character who has the ability to copy neutral special abilities thanks to his inhale. He can easily do short damaging combos and he can KO enemies on the spot. His attacks have high priority which makes Kirby has no problem when he goes against certain attacks. Despite these advantages, he lacks mobility and he's pretty easy to edgeguard.

Meta Knight

Meta Knight is a demonic rush down who relies on DPS (Damage per second). He can string his normals and specials really well to form combos. Despite this, he has a serious problem regarding his lacking KO options and his weight is also a main problem for him.

King Dedede

Dedede is the type of hard hitter that can't do much combos. Most of his combos only compose of 2 or 3 hits. Despite this, his attacks are long ranged and powerful. Basically, he's a long range keep away type/hard hitter.

Waddle Dee

Waddle Dee is a rush down that relies on his long range spear attacks. His spear attacks can easily string to each other and they deal a good amount of shield damage. Waddle Dee havs problems though regarding KOing his opponent. Oh... He's also light.

Fox

Fox is an extremely technical character. He requires quick thinking, fast fingers and dexterity. Most of his attacks are extremely useful along with his shines and lasers making him a formidable character. Despite this, he has an extremely high learning curve. If you like technical characters that come with a lot of rewards, Fox is the man for you.

Falco

Falco is a defensive character in general but unlike the other defensive types, his is rather more "controlled" thanks to his quick and versatile lasers, flip kicks and reflectors. Although, he fears those with fast offense especially since he's super light.

Wolf

Wolf is a feral rush down character. His attacks keep himself near the enemy. He's also hard to shake off. Wolf is one of the best choices against zoners but he might have problems regarding heavy hard hitter characters like Bowser.

Krystal

Krystal's enchanted staff provides many an opportunity for her. Krystal has many ways to keep her opponent where she wants. She can use her Ice Blast to keep herself in their face, playing it safe with her staff, or to scare the opponent from coming in with her Quake. Krystal has an answer to just about every situation making her a very versatile character.

Pikachu

Pikachu is a rush down character. He has also the necessary tools to rush down and he even has some decent KO options. Unfortunately, when Pika gets hit, some of his options get unsafe and most of his aerials may become extremely risky to use. Glass cannon rush down. The end.

Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff is known as the aerial demon. She specializes in strong, long ranged aerials that can be used to keep away and rush down. She also has a ton of KO options and she's extremely mobile in the air. Although, her ground game is extremely terrible having a mix of some of the worst normals in the game.

Pokemon trainer

TOO LAZY

Victini

Um.... Someone please fill up this part

Zoroark

Zoroark is an all around type. He can do a mix of all playstyles. The problem though is that he can't do them as well as the others who excel in that certain playstyle but, his main advantage is that he can still do them decently.

Genesect

No moveset so far

Captain Falcon

Falcon is one of the best gimpers in the game thanks to his strong and quick attacks in addition to his numerous amount of rush down and mix up options. If you master the art of FALCOOOON, you might be capable of killing anyone in just one combo! Just... get used to his recovery issue.....

Samurai Goroh

What?

Black Shadow

10whats?

TO BE CONTINUED FROM EARTHBOUND TO THE REST

New **** later

I WISHED BOWSER HAD SOME SUPER ARMOR in his animations (Walk, idle, attack, etc).

It benefits him and fits the character.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oh, how swell. I guess a Xenoblade stage will not be too much of a stretch after all.
I HOPE, we get a TLS stage, and AT.

I just don't SEE Elza or Kanan being playable, even though I think they should be. I think TLS is going to have some BEAUTIFUL scenes, so I would be okay with a stage.

I'll make a stage, and choose if I end up rooting for Kanan or Elza, ONCE I PLAY IT. Because I know it's coming to NOA.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I still think we are going to get a Xenoblade stage primarily with some Last Story tracks included in the stage's track listing.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
no pandora's tower songs?
... anyone know the soundtrack? and just that easy, we can enter music talk, lol

VV is that even worth noting? VV
i secretly want a rival

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
berserker, you forgot to mention that Tacket newcomer already starting to make a name for himself in the thread

^ Maybe not, but hey, it still happened

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Think it is time to post my Gaur Plains concept again.

[COLLAPSE="Haven't I done this four times already?"]

Gaur Plains, the massive field from Xenoblade Chronicles. A vast, sweeping locale with many cliffs and hills. We've never had a stage of this kind before. So to have a stage modeled more after a natural setting would set it apart from the rest. Platform edges would be traded for cliffrock. The stage isn't much more than two hills separated by bridges and a large gorge in the middle. Characters would actually be fighting on grass!

Above you are arch rock formations that are there for scenery. Waterfalls and distant cliff drop offs are some of the other things you will see in the background. If you have the time you can also enjoy the wild life, although I'd stay away from the giant apes if I were you...

This stage would bring with it a day/night cycle much in the same vein as Battlefield. Except the stage will load at a set period like night, dawn, morning, afternoon and dusk; and will cycle from there. On top of that it would have a weather mechanic completely unique of it's own. An alternate stage can unknowingly load which will incorporate some of these weather mechanics. Little to your knowledge did you know you are in a flood prone area...

What will happen during the rain is the terrain will become wet and it will be easier to slide on the grass, so tripping would become a concern. Plus the rain would cause the visibility to decrease, possibly making it harder to see your opponent. Depending upon the duration of the rain it will begin to flood, causing you to drift towards the center of the stage. Forcing you to fight on the bridges and closer to the gorge.

There will also be the possibility of various winds strengths. A gentle breeze which will do nothing more then affect the background and cause some of the rocks from the arches to crumble off. Or a moderate breeze that will push the players in whichever direction it is blowing, but not enough to where you cannot fight against it.

The last alternate will be what I call the "bright day" ability. Which will be an extra sunny day that will cause more of a glare on the characters, making the stage brighter, reflective, and more vivid.

This stage will be unlike any other and will make you feel as though you are a part of the outdoors. I recommend everyone at least listen to most of the tracks. These ones are REALLY good!

Stage Example:

___---_xx_---___

*X represents gorge
**Higher dashes represent the two bridges.

Stage Name: Gaur Plains
Stage Icon: Circular Hilt of Xenoblade

-Tracks-
Xenoblade Chronicles - Gaur Plains
Xenoblade Chronicles - Fight!
Xenoblade Chronicles - Mechanical Rythym
Xenoblade Chronicles - One Who Gets in Our Way
Xenoblade Chronicles - Those Who Bear Their Name
The Last Story - Battle Banquet
The Last Story - The One Ruling Everything (Last Battle)
The Last Story - Invitation To Madness
The Last Story - The Flying One (Kanan's Theme)
The Last Story - Dance of Death
Pandora's Tower - Boss Music
Find Mii - Ultimate Ghost[/COLLAPSE]

Tacket who?

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
only if you view something in the opposing light.

with that said... i have barely stated where i stand ground on anything with the bare fact that i am the MOST unbiased poster here... i am basically floating... i mean i have my wants but they matter not to my ultimate judgement.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
HEY CHU. What do you think of the three Wario girls? As individuals of course.

HECK, how does everyone feel about Mona, Syrup, and Ashley?

Can I be your rival, stinky.
BE MINE! I want a new one :3

Also, you're a total uke in the Chu x Oasis doujins. They just started making them, today infact.

with that said... i have barely stated where i stand ground on anything with the bare fact that i am the MOST unbiased poster here... i am basically floating... i mean i have my wants but they matter not to my ultimate judgement.
You like Megaman, and don't think TOO MUCH of Yoshi and Kirby characters.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
sure i like megaman... but i prefer megaman x... and i see classic as most likely whether i want him to or not.

as for yoshi and kirby... did i really make that clear? really? even in the ExclusiveBR?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Shorts: But we're a team. >:

Are there any other TEAMS on here? Star x Luco?

@Stinky: Same thing. :troll:

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
On a thread like this with all of the debates we have it's rather tough to stay unbiased, so forgive me if I disagree Augusto, we are all human.

Teams? I'm all alone right now. :(

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i feel like a robot...
my brother calls me so as well... in real life... i really am very stoic in nature.

a robot who loves music... who knew they exist?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I love that we're making the "teams" A x B format. :3

Oasis x Shorts
Star x Luco
Iblis x Steam? (Or maybe Metal?)

What about Chrono, Chu, and Kuma? Toise has no team. Don't even try it.

Does anyone else want the AT choices to be better?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Toise has no team... Because he is a one man army. :awesome:

@Shorts on Wario ladies: Didn't we conclude Ashley was the best choice or something. *GRUMBLE*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom