• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
They both require quite a lot of skill. I'm sorry, but skill is just as much thought as it is having good reflexes. You both have time to analyze. This means that it's pure mind games, not just being more physically fit than your opponent. Super fast gameplay never promoted thought.
That's not what I was getting at. It's hard to explain, but after playing the game so much, you come to realize what are your opponent's options and which ones are most likely. You eventually get to a point where you do stuff on reaction. The execution is the easy part, putting into strategy, let alone making one, is the hard part.

Those are more the combos than actual thought. I've played them too. I don't have to think while playing those because it's simply a case of memory when inputting a command. Not the case in Brawl. There's strategies to remember, not only button presses. Brawl requires more literal thought. Having a great memory does not mean you put thought into your actions. It can, but it's not automatic. Not when you can spam fireballs all day. It won't win you games anywhere in Brawl. If you don't actually do an attack that sends them flying, you're not going to win. It's two completely different scenarios.
I can take your opinion seriously since you've said that you don't play fighting games competitively in the first place.

I know it looks like it, but believe when I say that there are insane levels of strategy going on in fighting games that aren't Smash. Dhalsim has to be calculating on how he'll keep the opponent out with fireballs and normals. El Fuerte must read his opponent to keep them knocked down by attacking with different moves from different angles (for a lack of better words). Xiaoyu must predict where the opponent will strike and evade those moves into a counter strike. Viper must test the reactions of her opponent by doing feints and strikes in favorable and risky situations.

Again, that combo is the easy part. Landing the first hit is another story.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Hopefully Nintendo doesn't expect us to pork out money like most companies do. Seriously, Call of Duty, Capcom, and Halo games have like 30 bucks worth of DLC. The game already costs 65 bucks with tax (not counting various "special" editions). I don't want to spend 100 bucks on every dang game I buy!

Unless you are adding half a game, don't charge us half a game! Something tells me such tactics is going to bite the gaming industry in the butt as a result. I think that leads many people to buy less games, or in Capcom's instance, wait until the "Ultimate" Edition comes out for a cheaper price. Seriously, if Capcom gave codes to a like a 75% discount to Ultimate MvC3 for those who bought MvC3 more people would buy that game or would be glad they bought that game.

Plus there's the whole Bio Shock 2 issue, where they charge you for DLC already found completed or near completed on the disc! If, let's say Nintendo charged us for the "Forbidden Seven" in Brawl, fine. That's cool, those files weren't finished. If they were near finished though, or completely finished, that's a JERWK move!
Completely agreed. IMO, DLC should never be planned, they should feel like natural extensions of an already expansive package

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
None of those are lame whatsoever. Legitimate tactics only. God forbid that people can't try a new style and only depend on a ridiculous "I must hit super fast and all". It's a different style of gameplay. Nothing objectively wrong with that whatsoever. It's fine if you don't like it, but don't act like it's actually a negative thing when it really isn't.
Yes there is. When you create a roster, you want to appeal to as many playstyles as possible. I, myself, love speedy, mobile, and unpredictable characters along with mid-range characters. Others may love to keep the opponent out.

The problem with Brawl, and to a certain extent other Smash games, is that the game design is currently biased to certain character playstyles. This is why people love Guilty Gear. There are so many characters, yet none of them play anything alike from one another. You cover a lot of bases that way. Bridget plays nothing like Dizzy. The only thing Ky and Robo-Ky have in common is that one's a robot of the other.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I've heard Sakurai wanted DLC for SSBB, but was told no/couldn't. Anyone have a source for this?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I thought it was more that he wanted a more robust online, but couldn't due to the limitations of the Wii.

Madame puff

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I think Sora needs to try something different from both Melee's and Brawl's fighting mechanics.

Although the only thing I really want back from Melee is the faster pace, I never liked slow-paced fighting games
Agreed with the faster gameplay always nice. I want wavedashing back, imo it added a lot strategic value to slower characters.

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I dunno, it could have been that. But that's not what I've heard. Either way, all I can say is, I HOPE online isn't BS this time around.

Why is MKWii's online decent, but Brawl's sucks? Connection wise.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
For a couple of reasons.

1. There is way more action going on in the background of Brawl.
2. MKWii pretty much requires you to hold down buttons. Brawl requires a lot of button pressing and requires as little lag as possible.

yani_

Smash Ace
@Johnknight Halo was actually *decent* with DLC, once reach came out it went to sh*t. Activision is the worst with it. $60.00 worth of maps? GTFO

@Shortie I could have sworn Sakurai stated he didn't even know what DLC was

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
People, just learn to Google these things. Here is Sakurai's response when asked about future DLC and DLC characters in Brawl:

No. There are no characters that can be unlocked via connecting to WiiConnect24 or interacting in that fashion. And I may be mistaken here, but the Wii doesn't have a hard drive -- it's a disc-based system -- so I don't think we'll be doing that, I don't think it's going to happen.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
OKAY STAR, you frickin' butthead. I GET IT.

Kuma, DUH, I don't know why I didn't just think of that myself. But... I NEVER experience lag(That I notice) with MKWii, is it because of how simple it is? There's nothing to make it lag?

Geno > Megaman ERRYDAY.

D

Deleted member

Join the site if you want to improve his score. :)

It'll be interesting to see how Geno holds up. I for one would like to see him in, although he is unlikely.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
There's definitely lag in MKWii, you just don't notice it because everyone sees their own screen.
Like with the attacks/being it? I notice THAT... still not NEARLY as bad as Brawl.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Geno is actually doing pretty good in SSBF's poll so far, at about a 60% approval rating. I'm not totally surprised. I expected him to be at about 50%... I think... :laugh:
@Johnknight Halo was actually *decent* with DLC, once reach came out it went to sh*t. Activision is the worst with it. $60.00 worth of maps? GTFO
Halo 3 was reasonable (to an extent). As was Halo 2. I saw Reach and ODST's DLC (I think it was ODST), and laughed.

Activision is the worst. For Guitar Hero they expect you to rebuy the same song for more just to play it on the drums and sing it. On top of that their DLC catalog was awful, and you had to pay $60 for 40 or so new songs every dang game (at one point there were like 5 new ones in like 4 months). Who the heck wants to do that=???

At least EA with Rock Band only charged a small fee to transfer nearly all past songs to the most recent titles, and the prices are (somewhat) reasonable.

Activision with Call of Duty is an issue I don't wanna go into. They already have like 3 full-scale DLC things ready. They are selling gamers an incomplete game. Talk about a rip off.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
We can dream!

I don't even think it's possible for any game's online to be completely problem-free at launch, let alone Smash. But hey, dream on my brotha :cool:

My main concern is for them to have the tools/experience (somewhat of it) to fix these type of problem when they happen

@Johnknight- The Call of Duty: Elite subscription costs $50 ON TOP of Xbox 360 users already having to pay for online... :facepalm:

D

Deleted member

@Johnknight1: We should expect that to tank quickly. I do think he'll score better then Toad and Waluigi, but I'm not really expecting anywhere above late 30's for him. But at least this will show that the Geno alliance is very much alive, just in a diminished form.

D

Deleted member

vicgur said:
[bet 5 internet dollars nobody remembers me]
I do. And it's nice to see you like Ghirahim.
Oasis_S said:
6th Gen rep: Lucario 3.0

That is going to be pretty awkward though. Sm4sh will probably be released at the dawn of the 6th gen, but the roster would surely be finalized before they had a 6th gen Pokemon to lend to it? That's next year, probably.
Remember that the Pokemon Company looks far ahead into the future when it comes to Pokemons. If 6th gen has started by the time SSB4 is out, of course, it isn't unreasonable to assume that they want the mascot of the 6th gen represented due to advertisement. Similar case can be said for Roy.

Madame puff

Smash Journeyman
I don't even think it's possible for any game's online to be completely problem-free at launch, let alone Smash. But hey, dream on my brotha :cool:

My main concern is for them to have the tools/experience (somewhat of it) to fix these type of problem when they happen

@Johnknight- Call of Duty: Elite costs $50 ON TOP of Xbox 360 users already having to pay for online... :facepalm:
More like call of duty:incomplete or call of duty:expensive

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes there is. When you create a roster, you want to appeal to as many playstyles as possible. I, myself, love speedy, mobile, and unpredictable characters along with mid-range characters. Others may love to keep the opponent out.
That's great. Play Sonic. He's speedy and hard to predict. Likewise, the playstyles were a bit more defensive, but not only defensive. Speed =/= Good.

The problem with Brawl, and to a certain extent other Smash games, is that the game design is currently biased to certain character playstyles. This is why people love Guilty Gear. There are so many characters, yet none of them play anything alike from one another. You cover a lot of bases that way. Bridget plays nothing like Dizzy. The only thing Ky and Robo-Ky have in common is that one's a robot of the other.
That's ALL Fighting Games. The engine will benefit certain characters more no matter what. That's how Tiers partially work. Some characters are better depending the engine itself. Nobody is going to be equal in any engine. Unless they're exactly the same character. Slower fighters will easily lose more often in high-paced games. Weaker but faster characters cannot do much if they cannot kill in a percentage-based game. Every rule benefits someone over another. Every engine does too. No engine is equal whatsoever for anyone.

I personally think the Smash games had an excellent and unique engine that didn't require ridiculous commands. It means you could concentrate more on the strategy and style of the character, and less on the memorization on buttons. This is great because not only is it easier to get into, the depth is more character-based, and not just buttons. That's the beauty of it being universal: Figuring out the character differences and applying them through battle. I like the train of thought. It's no different from playing any game with completely different cards. They all follow the same overall activation rules, but figuring out the best combos that aren't pre-programmed is part of the skill of playing.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't think Ninty will charge for online, it's so not like them.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Well yeah, I agree there; they haven't charged for it before, so what would make them do so now?

I can see Nintendo charging for DLC though but I'm sure they'd all have reasonable prices (they won't be $5 per character or anything like that)

yani_

Smash Ace
Geno is actually doing pretty good in SSBF's poll so far, at about a 60% approval rating. I'm not totally surprised. I expected him to be at about 50%... I think... :laugh:

Halo 3 was reasonable (to an extent). As was Halo 2. I saw Reach and ODST's DLC (I think it was ODST), and laughed.

Activision is the worst. For Guitar Hero they expect you to rebuy the same song for more just to play it on the drums and sing it. On top of that their DLC catalog was awful, and you had to pay $60 for 40 or so new songs every dang game (at one point there were like 5 new ones in like 4 months). Who the heck wants to do that=???

At least EA with Rock Band only charged a small fee to transfer nearly all past songs to the most recent titles, and the prices are (somewhat) reasonable.

Activision with Call of Duty is an issue I don't wanna go into. They already have like 3 full-scale DLC things ready. They are selling gamers an incomplete game. Talk about a rip off.
Halo 2 was awesome because after a certain date the maps were free :awesome: Halo 3 was okay , reach/odst = full of fail.

Activision - Here guys buy guitar hero world tour , guitar hero 5 , guitar hero metallica , and band hero :troll: + most of their DLC songs weren't great.

CoD is just disgusting with their DLC. The maps aren't even that good. ( My brother caved in and bought em all) I even uninstalled them at one point because it was so annoying having to play on them.

I do praise EA though for what they did with rockband. I was very happy with every song being playable on each game. and transferring the entire library from rb1 to rb2 was extremely reasonable as well :reverse:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's too bad that Wii U version might not get DLC. Which is again stupid that Nintendo won't just add a harddrive already. It would mean games that use game pak saves(Mario Kart 64) could SAVE that data.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Or maybe because they like the character. And you're quite wrong about that. You know those Mach Speed sections? Mostly hated. They don't have a problem with speed, as long as they can control it. Speed is useless if you keep dying.
Mach Speed sections? Is that a single-player mode=??? Obviously you don't know that Captain Falcon's running speed isn't that fast. Double the top speed, force Sonic to accelerate to top speed (as in take about a second to get to top speed), and nobody is complaining except a few people who never played a Sonic game in their life.
Do not talk about Mods as if they're competitive. They are anti-competitive by nature due to not using the official version of the game. It's people just whining that the game isn't perfect in their eyes. Play the game the correct way, which is what you're doing at Brawl tourneys. Yes, it's more defensive than Melee. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. I adapted to it after all.
Mods are no less for being made by me than Sakurai. Who is Sakurai to say that he can make his game his way, and I can't mod it my way, and both can be competitive=??? You are absolutely, 100% wrong on this. People have modded everything since the beginning of the PC gaming era dating back to Doom with user-made maps (which is still being done to this day on Doom). Counter-Strike has all kinds of Mods (zombie, zombie escape, RPG, surf, jail tons of custom maps). Does that make it less competitive=???

Some companies actually PROMOTE THIS! SEGA actually promotes Total War series mods, and allows users to download them, and give them instructions on how to download/use them. People have modded things since the history forever. "Competitive" is a subjective word anyways. Who are we to tell people who want to competitively play a Brawl mod to make Brawl like Melee, a Brawl mod to balance out the tiers, or a Brawl mod to make the game more offensive-friendly that their game isn't competitive=??? That would be just plain elitist. They paid $50 for it, they can do whatever they want with it.
None of that is actually boring by default. Also, those were OFFENSIVE options. And almost all of those Chain Grabs require skill to ever pull off. Also, Infinites are the main combos of the game. Which also require skill.
Chain grabs require some skill, yes. However, chain grabs where your opponent cannot escape require minimal skill usually hurt a game's appeal, and usually requires new rules.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
It's too bad that Wii U version might not get DLC. Which is again stupid that Nintendo won't just add a harddrive already. It would mean games that use game pak saves(Mario Kart 64) could SAVE that data.
I think the main reason Ninty isn't going with a hard drive is because flash memory is cheaper (I dunno if that is true or not)

@Dysfunctional- Yeah, they confirmed that a while back

Madame puff

Smash Journeyman
I dont think nintendo will charge for online but now its becoming the survival to the fittest.
i finished writing this on my phone but it went ape **** and started spamming space bar.

@metaloverlord I thought it was confirmed on 3ds not wii u.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom