• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I got it 15 minutes before midnight last night. I'm currently in the second dungeon. I had to break my "No Guides" rule to find the last two pieces of a puzzle. I'm loving the game. Even the general mooks are a challenge.
That is encouraging to hear. I would pick it up, but I have to wait until there is a little more cash in my pocket. It is not high on my priority list, but it will come eventually. Holiday pay will help.

You need some music suggestions Tri?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Oh yea forgot. -- - will it give a warning before coming from the side?

:phone:
Yep. Sorry I forgot that little detail. I'll add it in.

Although I think it'd be funner not to have it. :awesome:

@Star: Yep. ;)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I prefer slow and steady. I prefer control. I could control Falcon in Melee. Twice as fast is just not acceptable for playable.
Sonic isn't for those who prefer slow and steady or control. He's for those who want to go one speed: FAST! Nobody wants to go as fast as Mario on a Sonic game! Sonic=speed! :laugh:
And anti-competitive thing is stalling. All of those are legit tactics. There is no honor in winning a fight. It's a concept, but isn't realistic.p/QUOTE]
I typed in "low-risk, high-reward offense" there. I meant that for defense. Thought I should clear that up. :cool:

Also, stalling (depending on how long) can be debated is anti-competitive. There are a few anti-stalling rules in the URC Rule set, and most other (recently updated) rule sets.

There is honor in winning a match by being better than your opponent based on aspects that require skill. Low-risk, high-reward of anything doesn't require much skill at all.

Once again, Meta Knight. He does fine without the need of them. You don't need projectiles to camp. It just helps. The problem is that you're saying stuff is anti-competitive, when it isn't at all. Stalling is the only point you have is because it makes the game take longer for no purpose but to waste time. Camping is how you win. So is everything else. It's fine if you like faster-paced games(but frankly, not everybody does), but don't act like it's against competitive nature(which is to WIN at all costs) to do anything but stalling. All of that? It's playing smart. Yeah, Brawl is campy. It's just how you win in the game. Nothing is illegitimate in playing to win using the best strategy for the game style.
I'm not referring to just camping. I am more so planking, edge grab spamming, move spamming (to where each player just does the same move and stays in the same spot for up to 4 minutes), hit and run tactics, stalling, and low-risk, high-reward tactics. (you reading it that way is more so my choice of words, which could have been better)

I'm not saying anti-competitive (I'm not getting into that). Rather, I am saying it is boring! Watching a game played at the highest level should make you want to get better to play it at the highest level, not give up. I've met so many people at smash tournaments who are turned off by this boring Brawl game play. Most of them quit, a few go to Smash 64 and/or Melee, and maybe one or two of said people I've met actually stuck with Brawl for much longer after stating displeasure with such styles in their first tournament.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That is encouraging to hear. I would pick it up, but I have to wait until there is a little more cash in my pocket. It is not high on my priority list, but it will come eventually. Holiday pay will help.
Controlling the sword does take some getting used to, but I say it's worth it. I've died more times in this game than I have in the last couple of Zeldas.
Asante sana Squash banana, Wewe nugu mimi hapana

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No music discussion? Bummer. :p
Here's it is: Importable custom music needs to happen, and you need to be able to play any song on any stage. We all agree! Discussion over! Now Sakurai, make it happen! ;)
anything interesting happen here in the weekend? (58 pages).
We found out Sakurai is a huge Sony gaming buff, and owns several copies of most consoles (especially handhelds) via his Twitter. :laugh:
Oh No. Your right. I'm not Sakurai. That means everything I say isnt true and thus I can't say your idea for random Pokemon number 439 isn't dumb and wont happen wth a hundred other ones available to chose from. Ack. You have slain me. Go...od...s..ho.....w...
HEEY, 439 IS MIME JR! I AM OFFENDED, AND WILL NOW USE MIME JR'S MOVE PROTECT TO HURT YOUR FAMILY!!! :troll: :awesome: :cool: :chuckle: :laugh: :122:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ Shh... no you didn't. Don't lie to yourself. You thought he confirmed Ridley... finally... :troll:

*waves his hand in a circle like a Jedi trying to use his mind games mind tricks.*

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Even Youtube agrees that Brawl sucks.

I should ask Mishka the Talking Husky the same question.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sonic isn't for those who prefer slow and steady or control. He's for those who want to go one speed: FAST! Nobody wants to go as fast as Mario on a Sonic game! Sonic=speed! :laugh:
Controllable speed. He should be as fast as Falcon was in Melee, but he should only be that exact speed in Brawl. He does not need to be as good as the Mach Speed sections were. /Sarcasm

I typed in "low-risk, high-reward offense" there. I meant that for defense. Thought I should clear that up. :cool:
Still not seeing a problem as one is using it to win.

Also, stalling (depending on how long) can be debated is anti-competitive. There are a few anti-stalling rules in the URC Rule set, and most other (recently updated) rule sets.
There's really not a debate in this case. Stalling is the act of wasting time without a goal to win. It's like Fiber Jar in Yu-Gi-Oh! It has no purpose to actually win.

There is honor in winning a match by being better than your opponent based on aspects that require skill. Low-risk, high-reward of anything doesn't require much skill at all.
I'm sorry, but this just isn't true. It doesn't matter if the moves are really that good. It takes actual skill to win. Even if the character is easier to play, you aren't going to win without skill. Even the best Meta Knights still require a lot of skill to win. Not as much as other characters, but it still requires some. This is part of why Ike was at first highly regarded. But take a look where he is now. It just doesn't work that way.

I'm not referring to just camping. I am more so planking, edge grab spamming, move spamming (to where each player just does the same move and stays in the same spot for up to 4 minutes), hit and run tactics, stalling, and low-risk, high-reward tactics. (you reading it that way is more so my choice of words, which could have been better)
Once again, only Stalling without the goal to win is any reasonable point. All are perfectly legit tactics. Honor is good sportsmanship. You know what's dishonorable? Not playing with the best options you can or not trying your hardest. Using any trick in the book is how you play to win. We aren't Knights here. We do not have an honor code like them. The only thing that is honorable is playing by the rules, which those rules have nothing against spam, and for good reasons.

I'm not saying anti-competitive (I'm not getting into that). Rather, I am saying it is boring! Watching a game played at the highest level should make you want to get better to play it at the highest level, not give up. I've met so many people at smash tournaments who are turned off by this boring Brawl game play. Most of them quit, a few go to Smash 64 and/or Melee, and maybe one or two of said people I've met actually stuck with Brawl for much longer after stating displeasure with such styles in their first tournament.
You know, we had a lot of quitters due to Meta Knight as well. The difference is that he actually wouldn't allow the metagame to evolve. Those tactics did not stop this. I only found MK matches boring, but nothing else in multiplayer. Single player, yes. Multi, not really. I personally love the slow nature of the game is that it requires a lot of thought and timing and for you to carefully control each individual move. I prefer slow-paced as the most skillful way of doing things. I prefer thought in my gameplay. Going at super high speeds does not really make this reasonable to do. Sure, there's thought, but all it really is just physical reaction time. Brawl is more mind-games than the other two, since you have to figure out what your opponent will do before attacking. You can't rush in either. Which I find a good thing.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
hmmm... does every one know this?:
Nintendo is going to allow DLC for games on the 3DS. In an upcoming update, developers will be able to sell DLC on the eShop channel for various games. What's kind of outstanding from Nintendo is that they urged developers to use this service only for extra content. There's been an alarming trend in the video game world to release a game half finished, and then release the rest of the game as DLC sometime later, and this is a policy Nintendo wanted to make clear they will not follow. All of their games will be finished when it goes up for sale in retail stores and the DLC aspect will be bonus stuff you don't need to beat the game with. I hope developers take Nintendo's nod to maintain the quality of their games and not abuse this service.

ignoring the bare fact that this belongs in the 3DS thread... >.>

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I've known that for a looong time. In fact, that was my very first post here, reporting the DLC news in this thread...

I've believed in DLC for this game since Smash 4 first got announced

Why do you feel that way, puff? I think Nintendo will do right by us when it comes to DLC

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I prefer slow-paced as the most skillful way of doing things. I prefer thought in my gameplay. Going at super high speeds does not really make this reasonable to do. Sure, there's thought, but all it really is just physical reaction time. Brawl is more mind-games than the other two, since you have to figure out what your opponent will do before attacking. You can't rush in either. Which I find a good thing.
Lol no. If anything, a faster pace requires more skill as it requires to get to the point where you don't think, but feel. Sure, that may sound like herp derp, but believe me when I say that you don't need slow speed to be calculating. In fact, the way I play in other fighting games is actually rather quick. I get a feel for my opponent and analyze what he is doing/will do. I will move around and attack to test the waters, and then I make my strategy from there. Once you have the lead, you can't afford to let your opponent to think. A slower pace will allow that, and as the one in the lead, that's bad for you.

Games like Marvel and Guilty Gear have plenty of speed, but are also some of the deepest 2D fighters out there.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well I trust them more than Capcom and how they handle DLC, that's for sure.

Madame puff

Smash Journeyman
Dlc seems like a great idea just in case a character has no counters, huza!dlc! Highly doubt Nintendo would release a dlc to counter a character though.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Controllable speed. He should be as fast as Falcon was in Melee, but he should only be that exact speed in Brawl. He does not need to be as good as the Mach Speed sections were. /Sarcasm
People play Sonic games because they like SPEED! Make Sonic play at least somewhat similar to his games! Ask anyone here; they will tell you they want him faster, too.
Still not seeing a problem as one is using it to win.
It makes the game one-dimensionally competitively. Either you play low-risk, high-reward defense or you lose. That's why Melee generates more interest at national tournaments.
I'm sorry, but this just isn't true. It doesn't matter if the moves are really that good. It takes actual skill to win. Even if the character is easier to play, you aren't going to win without skill. Even the best Meta Knights still require a lot of skill to win. Not as much as other characters, but it still requires some. This is part of why Ike was at first highly regarded. But take a look where he is now. It just doesn't work that way.
I'm not talking about characters, I'm talking about playing a one-dimensional offense to counter a three-dimensional defense. It makes the game boring. Look up hype videos for Brawl and Melee at Genesis 2. That's the difference that offensive options create! That's also why there's dozens of Brawl mods, and few Melee mods.
You know, we had a lot of quitters due to Meta Knight as well. The difference is that he actually wouldn't allow the metagame to evolve. Those tactics did not stop this. I only found MK matches boring, but nothing else in multiplayer. Single player, yes. Multi, not really. I personally love the slow nature of the game is that it requires a lot of thought and timing and for you to carefully control each individual move. I prefer slow-paced as the most skillful way of doing things. I prefer thought in my gameplay. Going at super high speeds does not really make this reasonable to do. Sure, there's thought, but all it really is just physical reaction time. Brawl is more mind-games than the other two, since you have to figure out what your opponent will do before attacking. You can't rush in either. Which I find a good thing.
It isn't Meta Knight. it's not the game speed! It's the game! The game promotes that style of slow (as in stand there, move, stand there again like baseball, but without a batter or pitcher), boring low-risk, high-reward running away defense, and because most characters have limited offensive options due to the removal of things like L-cancelling, wave dash, and combos that require skill (those dumb chain grabs aside) that create offense, the game is boring to watch and play to a lot of people, including those using high tier characters like Meta Knight, Snake, Falco, Marth, and Diddy Kong.

Most of us aren't bothered that Brawl is the slowest smash bros. game. What bugs us is that offense is severely limited thanks to lame, broken low-risk, high-reward defensive play styles that involve hit and run spamming, camping, planking, and grabbing an edge over and over and over again! There are so few offensive options, that you can't counter this with most characters. And if you do, the defender will just change his approach, and you have to rely on a high-risk, low-reward offense in most matches, which loses a lot.

Madame puff

Smash Journeyman
I've known that for a looong time. In fact, that was my very first post here, reporting the DLC news in this thread...

I've believed in DLC for this game since Smash 4 first got announced

Why do you feel that way, puff? I think Nintendo will do right by us when it comes to DLC
Most companies go crazy with dlc power.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I want some kind of patching/hot fix system though before we get any DLC.

Something like Black Ops' or Mortal Kombat's, and hopefully it will have a better netcode and host migration (those should help get rid of most of the lag, obviously not all of it though).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Lol no. If anything, a faster pace requires more skill as it requires to get to the point where you don't think, but feel. Sure, that may sound like herp derp, but believe me when I say that you don't need slow speed to be calculating. In fact, the way I play in other fighting games is actually rather quick. I get a feel for my opponent and analyze what he is doing/will do. I will move around and attack to test the waters, and then I make my strategy from there. Once you have the lead, you can't afford to let your opponent to think. A slower pace will allow that, and as the one in the lead, that's bad for you.
They both require quite a lot of skill. I'm sorry, but skill is just as much thought as it is having good reflexes. You both have time to analyze. This means that it's pure mind games, not just being more physically fit than your opponent. Super fast gameplay never promoted thought.

Games like Marvel and Guilty Gear have plenty of speed, but are also some of the deepest 2D fighters out there.
Those are more the combos than actual thought. I've played them too. I don't have to think while playing those because it's simply a case of memory when inputting a command. Not the case in Brawl. There's strategies to remember, not only button presses. Brawl requires more literal thought. Having a great memory does not mean you put thought into your actions. It can, but it's not automatic. Not when you can spam fireballs all day. It won't win you games anywhere in Brawl. If you don't actually do an attack that sends them flying, you're not going to win. It's two completely different scenarios.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I agree with Metal Overlord. Patching before DLC is better. I mean, Nintendo doesn't need to make the top tier characters mid tier. What they need to do is remove any glitches that hurt the game like Meta Knight's infinite down B. Not results of physics or game mechanics like L-cancelling, wave dashing, or various character-specific techniques that have a use in competitive play. That and fixes to various modes, and online updates. I don't mind paying money for DLC, but I don't want to pork out enough money to buy half a game unless like 5 new characters or something similar happens. Then Nintendo can take my wallet! :grin:

Also, I think it would be awesome if the Smash competitive community support a mod/mods like "Balanced Brawl" early on, at least as a side event that slowly made the game ridiculously balanced. That would rock my socks.

Madame puff

Smash Journeyman
I want some kind of patching/hot fix system though before we get any DLC.

Something like Black Ops' or Mortal Kombat's, and hopefully it will have a better netcode and host migration (those should help get rid of most of the lag, obviously not all of it though).
No lag would be great. I play online sometimes and takes a while to get use to he lag it has most of the time.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Most companies go crazy with dlc power.

I think Nintendo will be different, though. The only company I know of that really screws us over with DLC and whatnot is Capcom.

Just so long as Sora doesn't intentionally withhold content from the game to sell as DLC, or does any outrageous stuff (like making Freddy Krueger DLC *cough* Mortal Kombat*) then for the most part it should be all good

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
People play Sonic games because they like SPEED! Make Sonic play at least somewhat similar to his games! Ask anyone here; they will tell you they want him faster, too.
Or maybe because they like the character. And you're quite wrong about that. You know those Mach Speed sections? Mostly hated. They don't have a problem with speed, as long as they can control it. Speed is useless if you keep dying.

It makes the game one-dimensionally competitively. Either you play low-risk, high-reward defense or you lose. That's why Melee generates more interest at national tournaments.
None of this is true whatsoever. That's just how you think of it. Melee is just as one-dimensional by your own definition.

I'm not talking about characters, I'm talking about playing a one-dimensional offense to counter a three-dimensional defense. It makes the game boring. Look up hype videos for Brawl and Melee at Genesis 2. That's the difference that offensive options create! That's also why there's dozens of Brawl mods, and few Melee mods.
Do not talk about Mods as if they're competitive. They are anti-competitive by nature due to not using the official version of the game. It's people just whining that the game isn't perfect in their eyes. Play the game the correct way, which is what you're doing at Brawl tourneys. Yes, it's more defensive than Melee. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. I adapted to it after all.

It isn't Meta Knight. it's not the game speed! It's the game! The game promotes that style of slow (as in stand there, move, stand there again like baseball, but without a batter or pitcher), boring low-risk, high-reward running away defense, and because most characters have limited offensive options due to the removal of things like L-cancelling, wave dash, and combos that require skill (those dumb chain grabs aside) that create offense, the game is boring to watch and play to a lot of people, including those using high tier characters like Meta Knight, Snake, Falco, Marth, and Diddy Kong.
None of that is actually boring by default. Also, those were OFFENSIVE options. And almost all of those Chain Grabs require skill to ever pull off. Also, Infinites are the main combos of the game. Which also require skill.

Most of us aren't bothered that Brawl is the slowest smash bros. game. What bugs us is that offense is severely limited thanks to lame, broken low-risk, high-reward defensive play styles that involve hit and run spamming, camping, planking, and grabbing an edge over and over and over again! There are so few offensive options, that you can't counter this with most characters. And if you do, the defender will just change his approach, and you have to rely on a high-risk, low-reward offense in most matches, which loses a lot.
None of those are lame whatsoever. Legitimate tactics only. God forbid that people can't try a new style and only depend on a ridiculous "I must hit super fast and all". It's a different style of gameplay. Nothing objectively wrong with that whatsoever. It's fine if you don't like it, but don't act like it's actually a negative thing when it really isn't.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Just added a couple that I felt would be more reflective of what might be selected.

Tracks:
Sonic Adventure 2 - City Escape
Sonic Adventure - Emerald Coast
Sonic Heroes - Metal Madness (Final Boss)
Sonic the Hedgehog ('06) - Crisis City
Sonic and The Black Knight - Knight of the Wind
Sonic Colors - Planet Wisp
Sonic Generations - City Escape ~ Classic
Sonic Generations - Stardust Speedway ~ Metal Sonic
Sonic & Knuckles - Doomsday Zone
Sonic Adventure 2 - Metal Harbor
Sonic Adventure - Open Your Heart (Brawl)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hopefully Nintendo doesn't expect us to pork out money like most companies do. Seriously, Call of Duty, Capcom, and Halo games have like 30 bucks worth of DLC. The game already costs 65 bucks with tax (not counting various "special" editions). I don't want to spend 100 bucks on every dang game I buy!

Unless you are adding half a game, don't charge us half a game! Something tells me such tactics is going to bite the gaming industry in the butt as a result. I think that leads many people to buy less games, or in Capcom's instance, wait until the "Ultimate" Edition comes out for a cheaper price. Seriously, if Capcom gave codes to a like a 75% discount to Ultimate MvC3 for those who bought MvC3 more people would buy that game or would be glad they bought that game.

Plus there's the whole Bio Shock 2 issue, where they charge you for DLC already found completed or near completed on the disc! If, let's say Nintendo charged us for the "Forbidden Seven" in Brawl, fine. That's cool, those files weren't finished. If they were near finished though, or completely finished, that's a JERWK move!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom