• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I'm curious as to the status of the DK series. I was reworking my roster and I'm considering a cut to King K Rool...

But then I started looking at series details. Donkey Kong has 30+ game titles under it's belt and a CG TV show... A series like Star Fox has like five. I dunno, I was never happy about so many similar furries in Smash Bros...

Anyhow. What do you all think? DK series: Donkey and Diddy? Or a third member as well? There's a few viable options...

King K Rool- Front runner. Crazed Kremlin king. But would he be seen as too similar to Dedede/Bowser hybrid?
Dixie Kong- Third most important ape in the Kong crew. Female, which is underrepresented.
Funky Kong- Seeing more use in spinoffs lately, Funky Kong is similar to Dixie in importance.
Taj the Genie- More of a wildcard, but can rep the famous and classic Diddy Kong Racing Franchise.

D

Deleted member

Barbasol said:
King K Rool- Front runner. Crazed Kremlin king. But would he be seen as too similar to Dedede/Bowser hybrid?
Dixie also stands a decent chance of getting in, but King K. Rool is probably getting the third spot. I think if Dixie is playable, it'll be with Diddy. Someone also said that the third slot was always a villain/rival and I agree with this pattern. I think if this pattern continues, we'll see this guy. I also don't think he'll be a clone either.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
The following could have completely new move sets:
- Ray MK III
- Mega Man
- Medusa
- Palutena
- Bowser Jr.
- Paper Mario
- King K. Rool
- Victini
- Little Mac
- Saki Amamiya
- Ridley
- Takamaru
- Meowth
- Toad
- Caeda/Micaich
- Samurai Goroh/Black Shadow (Mario_And_Sonic Guy said something earlier about Black Shadow having unique power, I'd like for him to expand upon that)
- Krystal
- Ghirahim
- Duck Hunt Dog
- Chibi-Robo

Granted, quite a few of these are questionable at best when it comes to likelihood, but to say that we don't have at least 15 more potentially unique newcomers is a stretch.
Yea, I can clearly see any of those characters getting unique movesets.

But c'mon Dog Hunt Dog?! Where did you get the idea of him getting in? Sure he's classic and iconic but still IMO laughable, Toad well... I won't say he's isn't popular but IMO having...

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario (maybe)

Toad is a nice character and all but I just feel like there are others WAY more deserving than Toad, I even included Paper Mario which at best is doubtful

And maybe the argument about Peach getting her neutral B replaced may have been discussed to death but I wonder, would Toad by himself be worth it?

:phone:

D

Deleted member

@OmegaXVII: I put them in because regardless of whenever or not I want them (I could easily deal without Duck Hunt Dog and Toad}, they do have potential for a unique move set and that's something that even I acknowledge.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
My idea for single player is a combination of Classic, Adventure, SSE, Event Matches, and Boss Battles. Basically, it would be a series of very short platforming sections followed by themed fights with special rules (i.e. you're small and your enemy is giant, the enemy's attacks freeze\poison\have extra knockback, etc.). There would also be periodic boss fights against villains from nintendo's past (maybe 1 boss per series?). Obviously, each section would be designed specifically for the characters available for it (i.e. a level with wall-jumping, a boss that has to be tethered, etc.) I don't know or really care about the story, but this is what I would like single player to be like.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@mariosonicguy
That's sounds just like the sse(I liked SSe btw)

The story might be similar to the SSE, but it would operate in a different manner, with a different plot line, different antagonists, and different bosses. The Subspace Army does not come back, but a new army takes its place.

OmegaXXII

Black knight can use lances maybe we will see hi, use Wish Blade as one of his moves

and Ike can use axes....until now all the character we had only use Swords in SSB Ike in PoR was a sword user only and if he included Ike we might see him using Uravn on one of his moves.
Aw...

If Black Knight used a lance instead, that would totally be so much appealing to Smash as far as uniqueness goes, but personally I think a sword suits him best.

Ike is sticking with his sword no doubt about that, it would be cool if he used Urvan like Greil did, it would definetly work.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The problem with what were doing is, we're just guessing. We use likelyhoods, educated guesses, and statistics to decide who we personally, and communitively, consider a candidate for smash. However, we seem to forget that all of what we do is probably 8x's more intricate than what Sakurai does. We believe he is likely, but in all honesty, if sakurai simply decideds the roster based on his own feelings, we may NEVER see the day King K. Rool, Bowser Jr, Takamaru, or even Megaman join SSB4. Sukapon is an example. We all know that he is actually plausable, but Sakurai seems to think otherwise.

I prefer Micaiah, Caeda and Lyn over Black Knight. The first two would be really unique.

daAZNSensation

Smash Cadet
wouldnt it be cool if in the story mode, some of the characters could use their final smash to help them along the way, for ex. a floor of spikes and only fox's landmaster could get through. or theres a dense forest and you have to use marios or samus final smash,

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
The story might be similar to the SSE, but it would operate in a different manner, with a different plot line, different antagonists, and different bosses. The Subspace Army does not come back, but a new army takes its place.
Aren't the story and plotline synonymous? And the antagonists are the same with the exception of Ridley being demoted from boss. The new bosses and replacement for the sunspace army seem to be the only noticeable changes. But like I said it's cool I enjoyed the sse and would gladly accept a new installment or similar story

majora_787

Smash Hero
wouldnt it be cool if in the story mode, some of the characters could use their final smash to help them along the way, for ex. a floor of spikes and only fox's landmaster could get through. or theres a dense forest and you have to use marios or samus final smash,

Wouldn't it be cool if we could just have a more normal adventure mode, so we can focus more on the characters? Ganondorf could get a new moveset in the time it makes to make the Great Maze or a similar final level.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Aren't the story and plotline synonymous? And the antagonists are the same with the exception of Ridley being demoted from boss. The new bosses and replacement for the sunspace army seem to be the only noticeable changes. But like I said it's cool I enjoyed the sse and would gladly accept a new installment or similar story

It's just a thought, in general. I couldn't think of much else for a story.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Aw...

If Black Knight used a lance instead, that would totally be so much appealing to Smash as far as uniqueness goes, but personally I think a sword suits him best.

Ike is sticking with his sword no doubt about that, it would be cool if he used Urvan like Greil did, it would definetly work.

No what I mean it's just like Link they can use different weapon in their moves Black Knight using WishaBlade as projectile while fighting with his Sword and Ike using Urvan for his Fsmash because the Axe have a lot of power and it' the coolest axe in Fire Emblem.

majora_787

Smash Hero
AND considering the Black Knight basically used one weapon, compared to Ike. But the Black Knight doesn't have a huge chance anyway.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
It would be very cool to see the Smash storyline being more intertwined with the universes that make it up. For example, Robotnik (I refuse to say Eggman) is in league with the villains even though he isn't playable. Or having a character like Louie tagging along as an NPC clone of Olimar, helping you in your quest for a level or two.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well anyways all I hope for is Ike (Vanguard) and a female fire emblem character (Lyn)!!!
Well, Ike most likely isn't going anywhere, considering he's the newest Fire Emblem lord. But if we get anyone who isn't a lord as a rep, it'd probably end up being Caeda, the 'secondary protagonist' of FE1, 2, 11, and 12.

D

Deleted member

I think the Adventure Story should be on the 3DS version, not on the Wii-U. That would interfere with the multi-player experience.

D

Deleted member

Does anyone remember GDC 2008? I heard that Sakurai finalized the Brawl roster on July, 2005. If that is the case, next month will probably be the month that the roster that we'll see for the next Smash will be finalized.

OmegaXXII

No what I mean it's just like Link they can use different weapon in their moves Black Knight using WishaBlade as projectile while fighting with his Sword and Ike using Urvan for his Fsmash because the Axe have a lot of power and it' the coolest axe in Fire Emblem.
Ah I see where you're getting at, that would be even better.

Lyn would also be a great female candidate. I can easily see her upgrading from AT status go playable character, I think she would be super speedy but just not ad powerful.

D

Deleted member

The game isn't entering development until October. o_O At best.
Yes but the roster for Brawl was mostly finalized on July, 2005. We could very well see the same happen for Smash 4. I just wanted people to keep that in mind. The game hadn't started development, but it doesn't mean that they won't be doing planning.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It would be very cool to see the Smash storyline being more intertwined with the universes that make it up. For example, Robotnik (I refuse to say Eggman) is in league with the villains even though he isn't playable. Or having a character like Louie tagging along as an NPC clone of Olimar, helping you in your quest for a level or two.
Eggman in his Egg Viper would be an nostalgic boss. And just in case you're wondering...

Dr. Robotnik

Dr. Eggman

I often consider Dr. Eggman to be the ancestor of the original Dr. Robotnik.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yes but the roster for Brawl was mostly finalized on July, 2005. We could very well see the same happen for Smash 4. I just wanted people to keep that in mind.
I really don't think they'll finalize the roster before they've even begun to touch on the game... But I'm sure they'll have finalized a roster by January. xD

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
THIS

In a lot of comminties this is being taken seriously. I recently had a deviantart user blatently lie to my face and say they showed this at E3, and he knows because he was there. I know we are one of the smarter communities, but what is everyones thoughts on the legitimacy of this screenshot that has no author?

It just popped up out of freakin' no where.

D

Deleted member

@Shortiecanbrawl: This has already been proven false.
I really don't think they'll finalize the roster before they've even begun to touch on the game... But I'm sure they'll have finalized a roster by January. xD
Here's the quote the proves that the roster was finalized:
GDC said:
The talk quickly shifted gears to the game itself, starting off with the selection of the characters. "Smash Bros. is a project blessed with the fact that characters from many games are involved," Sakurai opened. The first interesting tidbit he dropped during his talk was that the final character roster was essentially completed when the design document was finalized on July 7, 2005. That was, the character list was done 2½ years before the game was completed. Sakurai said the reasoning behind this was that he knew making additions later during development would be very difficult.

OmegaXXII

Does anyone remember GDC 2008? I heard that Sakurai finalized the Brawl roster on July, 2005. If that is the case, next month will probably be the month that the roster that we'll see for the next Smash will be finalized.
Yea I heard about it, supposedly he had already decided on a final roster, but as if turned out that wasn't the case, originally smash was supposed to be released in late 2007 but ended up being pushed back until 2008, and the Brawl files show that Mewtwo got the boot and Jigglypuff's re-Inclusion late in development makes sense

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yet the "forbidden seven" totally contradicts this. The roster isn't finalized until the day creating characters stops.

@MarioSonic
Brawl also was packed filled with useless content like "Masterpeices". Hopefully they find better use of al the space.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
Fun fact: His name was always Eggman in Japan and they changed his name from Robotnik to Eggman in other parts of the world in Sonic Adventure to try to avoid name confusion.

@Mario and Sonic Guy:
Yes but the time it would take to make a big story mode would take away from the time to make a better multiplayer.

D

Deleted member

"Shortiecanbrawl said:
Yet the "forbidden seven" totally contradicts this. The roster isn't finalized until the day creating characters stops.
How does the "forbidden seven" contradict this? I assume that they were planned to be part of the roster as well, but got cut.
Wii U game discs are said to hold up to 25 GB. Adding an Adventure Mode would help in filling up that disc; Brawl used 6.93 GB out of 7.92 GB in its ISO.
We don't need an Adventure mode like the SSE to fill it up. The Wii-U version is suppose to be primarily focused on the multi-player aspect while stuff like this belongs on the 3DS.

majora_787

Smash Hero
. . . . I never said you were lying about it. I'm saying it's not happening now because the game isn't being started with for another four months.

And I think that screenshot MAY be real, but you never know. It did come about the same time as the rumor that Smash 4 would be announced at e3.

OmegaXXII

I just wish Sakurai would make SSE it's own game aside from Smash Bros. It would certainly divide audiences looking for specific multiplayer aspects vs. Casual storyline

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
How does the "forbidden seven" contradict this? I assume that they were planned to be part of the roster as well, but got cut.
Exactly. If the roster was finalized, they wouldn't have goteen cut. The roster is likely always open for change. Not big change mind you, but still open for character cutting. It's been theorized that Wolf was the last character added into brawl. He was the latest addition supposedly.

@SmashFan

Give me proof that SSBStrife has been proven false.

D

Deleted member

Exactly. If the roster was finalized, they wouldn't have goteen cut. The roster is likely always open for change. Not big change mind you, but still open for character cutting. It's been theorized that Wolf was the last character added into brawl. He was the latest addition supposedly.

@SmashFan

I thought that was Sonic, considering that he's the only character that I heard that was developed on in 2007.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@MarioSonic
Brawl also was packed filled with useless content like "Masterpeices". Hopefully they find better use of al the space.
The Masterpieces are in separate partitions, last I've checked. They're not part of the Brawl data partition.

@Mario and Sonic Guy:
Yes but the time it would take to make a big story mode would take away from the time to make a better multiplayer.
If there's a will, there's a way.

We don't need an Adventure mode like the SSE to fill it up. The Wii-U version is suppose to be primarily focused on the multi-player aspect while stuff like this belongs on the 3DS.
It would still feel like a waste if the game doesn't use as much memory as possible on the disc.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Fun fact: His name was always Eggman in Japan and they changed his name from Robotnik to Eggman in other parts of the world in Sonic Adventure to try to avoid name confusion.
I am well aware. I still think it's a terrible name. Robotnik is his real name. Officially it's Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.

D

Deleted member

@SmashFan

Right here.

Tell me, if third-party characters appear to be so likely, why is Nintendo only mentioned?
It would still feel like a waste if the game doesn't use as much memory as possible on the disc.
They can find other means to do this by filling up on modes, giving us a fantastic online service, DLC, lots of great multi-player modes, and beefing up the characters, stages, items, etc. They also have to upgrade to past PS3 levels.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I hate to admit this, but the screenshot is fake. Just think about one fact: we're waiting for Sakurai's team to finish Kid Icarus for 3DS. The screen clearly shows HAL as the developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom