• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I can agree with that. Personally I thought there were a number of protagonists better than Terra, but that might be because it didn't really feel like she was the main person in it. In 4 Cecil was clearly the main character and the 3 for PS1 are clearly the mains, but I didn't get that feel with Terra. That being said however I do think she stands a greater chance than Cloud as well. And you are right, Megaman really is the only logical third party choice.
The reason why you don't get the feel is because it was hard to define who was the main character of FF VI (Which is a good thing). Terra was considered by most fans to be the main character

I was about to post to Omega -.-

You guys post too fast

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm not sure if Sakurai realized he made some pattern of some sort. I doubt he knows but if he knows about it, I doubt he follows those numbers and some other useless rules we posted such as relevance.
The only real pattern Sakurai has shown is that he likes to keep the select screen symmetrical. Only reason Melee did not retain the "box" design is because (from what I remember) they didn't get around to adding the random boxes like they intended to do. The coding was in place, not the box designs.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
That's Caeda, she is Marth's wife who plays more or less Marth's second-in-command, considering how she's very useful in recruiting allies to Marth's side. She is a Pegasus Knight who fights with a lance.

Don't forget Palutena... she's the second-most important character after Pit in the Kid Icarus series. There is a good chance we could get both Palutena and Medusa.
Hey!! You copied me! :mad:

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Arcadenik said:
Don't forget Palutena... she's the second-most important character after Pit in the Kid Icarus series. There is a good chance we could get both Palutena and Medusa.
I think I now see why we could see three Kid Icarus characters. Unfortunately, I fear that Palutena being Pit's Final Smash could hinder her chance, which is something that's keeping me from putting her in my Top 10 list of what I think are most likely characters.
Starphoenix said:
The only real pattern Sakurai has shown is that he likes to keep the select screen symmetrical. Only reason Melee did not retain the "box" design is because (from what I remember) they didn't get around to adding the random boxes like they intended to do. The coding was in place, not the box designs.
This is why I am predicting 44 characters for the next Smash. Would be 45, but there's that damn Random Box.:mad:

I think I now see why we could see three Kid Icarus characters. Unfortunately, I fear that Palutena being Pit's Final Smash could hinder her chance, which is something that's keeping me from putting her in my Top 10 list of what I think are most likely characters.
Err...

You beat me to it :glare:

I only see Medusa as the only female rep to be added. If I'm forgetting someone, please tell me who.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There is a good chance Sakurai could change Pit's Final Smash, considering that he is the one who gave Pit a lot more stuff to fight with in Uprising. We have already seen some characters change their moves. Mario's Down B. Ganondorf's Side B. Bowser's Side B. So, why not Final Smashes? Palutena could get Pit's old Final Smash... if you looked at Pit's Final Smash trophy in Brawl, you would think that it is Palutena's Final Smash because you only see Palutena being surrounded with Centurions and Pit is nowhere to be seen.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If anyone forgot, I did post special move changes for Ganondorf, along with a change to his Final Smash.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12878813&postcount=4408
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12878953&postcount=4416

Feel free to comment them if you wish.

Note: I did mention Ganondorf keeping his Final Smash from Brawl, but I did change my mind a few minutes after making the post. The Final Smash still has him turning into Ganon, but not his Dark Beast Ganon incarnation from Twilight Princess.

D

Deleted member

@Starphoenix: I think there's another pattern. A person said earlier that every villain/rival character that's playable were the third to be added in their game. Bowser was the third of the Mario series, Ganondorf was the third of the Mario series, Wolf was the third of the Star Fox series, Mewtwo was the third of the Pokemon series, etc.
There is a good chance Sakurai could change Pit's Final Smash, considering that he is the one who gave Pit a lot more stuff to fight with in Uprising. We have already seen some characters change their moves. Mario's Down B. Ganondorf's Side B. Bowser's Side B. So, why not Final Smashes? Palutena could get Pit's old Final Smash... if you looked at Pit's Final Smash trophy in Brawl, you would think that it is Palutena's Final Smash because you only see Palutena being surrounded with Centurions and Pit is nowhere to be seen.
I see what you're saying, but we have yet to witness a character go from a character's move set to a playable character. We haven't seen it be done with Toad and I fear that Palutena won't have any better luck.

The only reason I see to hope for three Kid Icarus rep is because with all characters with villain, they were the third to be added. That's the same reason why I'm predicting King K. Rool will take the third slot.

This is why I am predicting 44 characters for the next Smash. Would be 45, but there's that damn Random Box.:mad:
Makes sense but it feels wrong or not right. I don't think Nintendo will throw smash in the garbage (AKA: Money printer). I mean, most of the fans hope for more than 10 newcomers. As in, the fans who don't know much about SSBB.
If anyone forgot, I did post special move changes for Ganondorf, along with a change to his Final Smash.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12878813&postcount=4408
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12878953&postcount=4416

Feel free to comment them if you wish.

Note: I did mention Ganondorf keeping his Final Smash from Brawl, but I did change my mind a few minutes after making the post. The Final Smash still has him turning into Ganon, but not his Dark Beast Ganon incarnation from Twilight Princess.
Great movesets Mario Sonic.

I like the Dark Beast better than the Final Smash we know in brawl

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Arcadenic said:
Yea, Palutena definetly deserves a shot, I wonder how Sora and team will implement her moves?

As for Medusa, she would be awesome!!
Does someone have an idea as far movesets go, I know she looks cool and but I don't know much about her :(

D

Deleted member

berserker01 said:
Makes sense but it feels wrong or not right. I don't think Nintendo will throw smash in the garbage (AKA: Money printer). I mean, most of the fans hope for more than 10 newcomers. As in, the fans who don't know much about SSBB.
I agree that there should be more then 44 character slots in the game, but this is more of me predicting and trying to avoid disappointment. We could very well be seeing more, but Brawl had an increase of only ten slots, so I have a feeling that we won't go anywhere above 45, even if 49 can (And should) be done.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Okay... this is coming from someone who hated Kid Icarus on virtual console, and doesn't know the franchise so...

What about Eggplant Wizard? I recall there was a lot of support (I know it's weird) for him after Pit was announced for Brawl. Kid Icarus will probably get another rep since Sakurai loves to cater to his own franchises... Eggplant Wizard just seems more smash suitable than Medusa who's basically a greek monster, and Palutena.

D

Deleted member

Okay... this is coming from someone who hated Kid Icarus on virtual console, and doesn't know the franchise so...

What about Eggplant Wizard? I recall there was a lot of support (I know it's weird) for him after Pit was announced for Brawl. Kid Icarus will probably get another rep since Sakurai loves to cater to his own franchises... Eggplant Wizard just seems more smash suitable than Medusa who's basically a greek monster, and Palutena.
He's a relatively weak boss in Kid Icarus, so I highly doubt Sakurai would pick something that poor of a choice. Assist Trophy material at best.

@Starphoenix: I think there's another pattern. A person said earlier that every villain/rival character that's playable were the third to be added in their game. Bowser was the third of the Mario series, Ganondorf was the third of the Mario series, Wolf was the third of the Star Fox series, Mewtwo was the third of the Pokemon series, etc.
I see what you're saying, but we have yet to witness a character go from a character's move set to a playable character. We haven't seen it be done with Toad and I fear that Palutena won't have any better luck.

The only reason I see to hope for three Kid Icarus rep is because with all characters with villain, they were the third to be added. That's the same reason why I'm predicting King K. Rool will take the third slot.
The thing is Paletuna is one person.

Toad can be easily replaced. Paletuna can't. I mean.... no one looks like her and... Meh, she deserves a shot but what hinders it is the moveset change. Toad isn't much of a problem though.
I agree that there should be more then 44 character slots in the game, but this is more of me predicting and trying to avoid disappointment.
I see what you're doing.

You're expecting less so the game will feel better.

The higher you expect, the chances are bigger that most of those expectations won't be met. Smart...

In other words, all of us fear that and hope that Sakurai won't crush our dreams.

TBone06

Smash Ace
The reason why you don't get the feel is because it was hard to define who was the main character of FF VI (Which is a good thing). Terra was considered by most fans to be the main character

I was about to post to Omega -.-

You guys post too fast
I agree. Terra definitely was the main, but in comparison to Cecil/Bartz/Cloud/Squall/Zidane she doesn't appear to have the same sized role, although the whole esper thing was based around her. It'd be awesome if FF got a character, I just think they already have a game for that.

D

Deleted member

berserker01 said:
In other words, all of us fear that and hope that Sakurai won't crush our dreams.
I'm worried it could be even less then this. If we end up having the same roster as the 3DS and Wii-U version, we will probably see less then 40 slots in SSB4, possibly a drop from Brawl.

That said, I can't be bothered to drop it less then 44 slots. It would feel like Sakurai make a disservice to his fans if he did less then 44.

Right, but unless I'm mistaken, he's supposed to take on a bit bigger of a role in Uprising. He also has a couple out of universe appearances already.
I haven't seen him in the trailer yet but who knows.

I still doubt him getting in. If he was in Icarus though, he would look like a handsome man with an eggplant crown on his head

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Eggplant Wizard is a generic enemy, a very iconic generic enemy... he would be better suited as an Assist Trophy who turns everyone into eggplants when he throws eggplants at them.

I'm worried it could be even less then this. If we end up having the same roster as the 3DS and Wii-U version, we will probably see less then 40 slots in SSB4, possibly a drop from Brawl.

That said, I can't be bothered to drop it less then 44 slots. It would feel like Sakurai make a disservice to his fans if he did less then 44.
Oh come on. Your just looking down on Sakurai too much.

It's not like he'll drop the characters from 35 back to 25....
Possible

I can only see him...

"I'm gonna do my best" 50

"For SSB's reputation!" 45 - 49

"For my fans! I will work hard" 35

"**** SSB" 0

I expect someone to edit those numbers to 35. Lol

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
We can pretty much expect Young Link form OOT3D which I'm actaully hoping for, I just like the way he looks that's all.

As for Caeda:

the one on the right is her :awesome:

She appeared in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, she wields a spear which definetly makes her unique in regards to weapon usage unlike the tiring cast of sword users.

She is Marth's love interest as well, aka his wife

If you play Fire Emblem you will know one thing about Caeda moves are impossiple to come up for her she is a Pegasus knight and she's a normal unit in Fire Emblem it's unfair for other character that Caeda is 2 character in one and they are not even a twin it's to make animation of the horse ad Caeda. and she will be either Overpowered character or a useless character.

Oh I didn't know that.

I think he suited to be an assist trophy.

I agree. Terra definitely was the main, but in comparison to Cecil/Bartz/Cloud/Squall/Zidane she doesn't appear to have the same sized role, although the whole esper thing was based around her. It'd be awesome if FF got a character, I just think they already have a game for that.
That is true about her.

What makes her have the advantage over the others is that she's FEMALE

D

Deleted member

Oh come on. Your just looking down on Sakurai too much.

It's not like he'll drop the characters from 35 back to 25....
Possible

I can only see him...

"I'm gonna do my best" 50

"For SSB's reputation!" 45 - 49

"For my fans! I will work hard" 35

"**** SSB" 0

I expect someone to edit those numbers to 35. Lol
Exactly. There's no reason for Sakurai or Sora Ltd. to drop the character limit below 44. Most people are expecting 50 and the team needs to do their very best to get it up that high. Of course 50 to Sakurai means 46 slots, but it would be nice to see more.

I will say this. If the roster is 40 slots or less, I will not buy the game, regardless of what else the game has to offer. IMO, that's unacceptable.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Not to mention that Sakurai already, albeit jokingly, said that he could make 50 characters...

Also, have you guys notice the pattern yet?

SSB64: 12 slots (12 x 1)
Melee: 25 slots ((12 x 2) + 1)
Brawl: 35 slots ((12 x 3) - 1)

So it is possible we might see somewhere between 47-49 slots in SSB4... ((12 x 4) + 1) or ((12 x 4) - 1).

Guess we'll have to wait.

For the mean time....

I don't know much about FE so I don't care about whoever you guys think will be added. I'm fine with Ike because he looks human. I know Snake is there but it's just that he's 30.... and has a beard. Snake's not human. He's with the species of Captain Falcon :awesome:

Seriously, how about more ideas about the modes in SSB or maybe some more interesting characters?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Exactly. There's no reason for Sakurai or Sora Ltd. to drop the character limit below 44. Most people are expecting 50 and the team needs to do their very best to get it up that high. Of course 50 to Sakurai means 46 slots, but it would be nice to see more.

I will say this. If the roster is 40 slots or less, I will not buy the game, regardless of what else the game has to offer. IMO, that's unacceptable.
If I'm not mistaking the character in MvC 3 were less than MvC 2 isn't that right which says that HD character are harder to make than normal characters. but you'll never know.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If you play Fire Emblem you will know one thing about Caeda moves are impossiple to come up for her she is a Pegasus knight and she's a normal unit in Fire Emblem it's unfair for other character that Caeda is 2 character in one and they are not even a twin it's to make animation of the horse ad Caeda. and she will be either Overpowered character or a useless character.
Why not just have Caeda ride her horse as her Final Smash?

@Arcadenik: Then again, Sakurai never follows any of the patterns we notice.

The number of characters is up to Sakurai. We'll never know.

About MvC, that's their fault for overhauling or putting too much characters in the game. That caused the fans to expect more (Wise ones expect less).

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
Disgaea has no chance. Disgaea only appeared once on a Nintendo platform and that was just a remake of the first game and it was on the DS.

Same situation for Phantom Brave. They are PlayStation exclusive except for 2 Wii games in 2009.
One of the Disgaea and Phantom Brave being in a Nintendo platform does warrant for these characters to appear in Super Smash Bros 4. Using Metal Gear series as an example, most of the games appeared in the Playstation platform, yet only about four of the said games appeared in the Nintendo platform (Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D, Metal Gear, and Metal Gear 2).

Besides, it really helps Nippon Ichi to get more recognition (along with the *shrug* sub-only anime that the American division licensed) if the Nippon Ichi characters appear in Super Smash Bros 4. Besides, like I said, none of the Nippon Ichi characters ever appeared in a fighting game like MvC3 or Super Smash Bros.

Zero is not happening. He's not any kind of mascot for Capcom. Ryu, Mega Man Classic, & Mega Man .EXE are the only characters they could even pitch to Sakurai.
Explain why Zero was chosen over the original Megaman in MvC3? Apparently, in an interview with Ryota Niitsuma, he said that Zero had a more variety of moves than the original Megaman and if they were to include the original Megaman in the fighting game, they would have ended up putting more moves in Megaman that would have created an entirely different Megaman. i think Sakurai would use his similar reasoning to choose Megaman Zero over the original Megaman. Besides, I believe Zero have a sizable amount of fan support comparable to the original Megaman (or even larger).

Kinda hate to say it, but Knuckles kinda died along with most of the other characters. Sonic Unleashed, Colors, Sonic 4, & now Sonic Generations, Knuckles is nowhere to be found. If they do give Sega another 2 slots (unlikely) it will probably be Tails and then a character from a different series.
I think Knuckles appeared in Sonic Colors. I also believe there are two more episode installments of Sonic 4, so appearance of Knuckles as a playable character may be possible.

Funny thing is that the appearance of Marth and Roy in SSBM was the main reason the
Fire Emblem games got an international release. Now I was wondering if there are characters from Japan-only games that can be put in Super Smash Bros 4, and maybe we might get a similar effect. I think the only way Roy can come back in Super Smash Bros is if there is a remake or anime adaption of Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Why not just have Caeda ride her horse as her Final Smash?
She never gets down of the horse..... TBH Fire Emblem is know for having characters as much as Pokemon isn't it quite bias to get 2 character from 1 game ? Fire Emblem characters are going to be from different games but the only games that I suspect to have more characters is Fire Emblem Radiant dawn because it's a game that has alot of characters with strong main roles, and I'm sure Ike is going to be in next SSB because Sakurai won't include a character if it wasn't awesome.....

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm still wondering about Toon Link. In Brawl, he's obviously a different person, so I'd think that he'd stick around for Smash Bros. Wii U.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@Arcadenik: Then again, Sakurai never follows any of the patterns we notice.

The number of characters is up to Sakurai. We'll never know.

About MvC, that's their fault for overhauling or putting too much characters in the game. That caused the fans to expect more (Wise ones expect less).
The reason MvC2 had over 50 characters is because they just reused the old sprites from previous games that MvC2 was actually a few characters' first time being in a fighting game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
She never gets down of the horse..... TBH Fire Emblem is know for having characters as much as Pokemon isn't it quite bias to get 2 character from 1 game ? Fire Emblem characters are going to be from different games but the only games that I suspect to have more characters is Fire Emblem Radiant dawn because it's a game that has alot of characters with strong main roles, and I'm sure Ike is going to be in next SSB because Sakurai won't include a character if it wasn't awesome.....
And Captain Falcon never gets out of his car. Your point?

Sakurai won't include a character if it wasn't awesome? What about the ones we had in Melee and Brawl? Some of them aren't exactly awesome.

One of the Disgaea and Phantom Brave being in a Nintendo platform does warrant for these characters to appear in Super Smash Bros 4. Using Metal Gear series as an example, most of the games appeared in the Playstation platform, yet only about four of the said games appeared in the Nintendo platform (Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D, Metal Gear, and Metal Gear 2).
Hideo begged and used the power of long time friendship. SSB isn't a 3rd party fighter you know. Look at Soul Calibur! Soul Calibur only had 3 (1 per console) 3rd parties in II then 3 (2 in PS3, 1 in XBOX) in IV.

Besides, it really helps Nippon Ichi to get more recognition (along with the *shrug* sub-only anime that the American division licensed) if the Nippon Ichi characters appear in Super Smash Bros 4. Besides, like I said, none of the Nippon Ichi characters ever appeared in a fighting game like MvC3 or Super Smash Bros.

I don't know who Nippon Ichi is >_>

Explain why Zero was chosen over the original Megaman in MvC3? Apparently, in an interview with Ryota Niitsuma, he said that Zero had a more variety of moves than the original Megaman and if they were to include the original Megaman in the fighting game, they would have ended up putting more moves in Megaman that would have created an entirely different Megaman. i think Sakurai would use his similar reasoning to choose Megaman Zero over the original Megaman. Besides, I believe Zero have a sizable amount of fan support comparable to the original Megaman (or even larger).

Megaman was more iconic than Zero. That's what matters. Fans were complaining why Mega Man wasn't in but Capcom gave a stupid excuse.

I think Knuckles appeared in Sonic Colors. I also believe there are two more episode installments of Sonic 4, so appearance of Knuckles as a playable character may be possible.

He only had a minor appearance. All the series needs is Sonic. This ain't Mario VS Sonic
I only expect Mega Man classic

And Captain Falcon never gets out of his car. Your point?

Sakurai won't include a character if it wasn't awesome? What about the ones we had in Melee and Brawl? Some of them aren't exactly awesome.
I don't know about Falcon. He probably got his moveset from the anime. Most notably:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw

@About MvC: Yeah. I guess that's what made it possible for 50 characters up. The sprites...

I'm off for today. Tomorrow, I'll be early here.

D

Deleted member

Not to mention that Sakurai already, albeit jokingly, said that he could make 50 characters...

Also, have you guys notice the pattern yet?

SSB64: 12 slots (12 x 1)
Melee: 25 slots ((12 x 2) + 1)
Brawl: 35 slots ((12 x 3) - 1)

So it is possible we might see somewhere between 47-49 slots in SSB4... ((12 x 4) + 1) or ((12 x 4) - 1).
I don't see the pattern. The "+" and "-" destroys the pattern and as such, I doubt this means anything. Unlike the amount of hortizontal rows going up by one per game.
If I'm not mistaking the character in MvC 3 were less than MvC 2 isn't that right which says that HD character are harder to make than normal characters. but you'll never know.
That is a poor comparison for many reasons:

- Super Smash Bros. and Marvel Vs. Capcom play dramatically different, it should be obvious.
- Super Smash Bros. is more of a party game while Marvel Vs. Capcom was made for the more competitive audience.
- Super Smash Bros. allows any character with potential move sets to be in as long as the other three requirements are in. Marvel Vs. Capcom requires the player to have much more the just simple fighting capability.
- They downgraded the amount of characters in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds for a reason. The balance in Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (At least from what I've heard) was horrible. The only choice Capcom had to make a balance roster was to dumb it down. Fans may be ****** with it, but it had to be done. Brawl's roster aside from Ganondorf was mostly balanced. Capcom had a good excuse for doing it. If Nintendo drops the amount of characters in their next game, they will have no excuse and they will lose money for doing that.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Do you know that SSB roughly has 10 moves for every character excluding the throws while MvC has a lot of moves for every single characters.

D

Deleted member

Do you know that SSB roughly has 10 moves for every character excluding the throws while MvC has a lot of moves for every single characters.
And Dark Paladin X's argument about Mega Man Zero having as much if not more support then Mega Man Classic is full of poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom