• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Even though I can't stand Sonic right now, I would be fine with this. Personally, I don't mind Snake (Or Sonic) in Smash, but I would much rather have someone with a better Nintendo track record, Bombs and Simon have that.
As they throw in the Vic Viper pilot or a Ninja Turtle... just to mess with us.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Alright, so if they do decide to bring in third parties, does anyone think Snake and Sonic might make a return?
Well, I have to say that Sonic chances are looking really good since he has been in alot of Nintendo exclusive material as of late, as for Snake; I'd say that if Kojima wanted him back in then Sakurai would let it happen since the negociations between Sakarai and both Sega and Kojima are already established, it really wouldn't be so difficult to include them if a current contract or agreement of sorts exists between both parties already, of course it's not guaranteed to happen but I see it as a high probability.

Maybe even acquire a new 3rd party like Megaman or Slime since tbey both seem likely as well, Capcom already and probably has relations with Sakurai according to a recent article where it stated Sakurai was talking with Capcom, the only reason I would consider Slime as well is seeing that Sakurai seems to favor the Dragon Quest series, more in particular DQX which he recently aplauded, not to mention Slime as of late has been in many Nintendo exclusive games even with an upcoming Fortune Street that will feature both Slime & Mario in the same game, I find it as a high possibility.

There's always Professor Layton as well since Level-5 does show interest in adding him to Smash Bros according to a recent article as well, as for who is more likely to appear? I have no idea.

I understood what you were saying Shortie. Didn't have a response. I think now she can probably be classified as a "Banjo" character.
Oh, yes, this sums up what I was trying to say in relation to shortie's question.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
There's always Professor Layton as well since Level-5 does show interest in adding him to Smash Bros according to a recent article as well, as for who is more likely to appear? I have no idea.

:phone:
Any third party company with a brain would be interested in Smash Bros. I'm sure VanillaWare would love to get Momohime into Smash.

@BanjoKOSMOS

Really? How popular is the franchise she is from? I was expecting her to be a Diddy.

How funny is this? Right now I am fighting with someone over on Gamefaqs about how Slime is not nearly as popular as Snake. You know, just because I support a character does not mean I'm irrational about it.
I've done the same thing with Pichu and Jill before.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
How funny is this? Right now I am fighting with someone over on Gamefaqs about how Slime is not nearly as popular as Snake. You know, just because I support a character does not mean I'm irrational about it.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, I have to say that Sonic chances are looking really good since he has been in alot of Nintendo exclusive material as of late, as for Snake; I'd say that if Kojima wanted him back in then Sakurai would let it happen since the negociations between Sakarai and both Sega and Kojima are already established, it really wouldn't be so difficult to include them if a current contract or agreement of sorts exists between both parties already, of course it's not guaranteed to happen but I see it as a high probability.

Maybe even acquire a new 3rd party like Megaman or Slime since tbey both seem likely as well, Capcom already and probably has relations with Sakurai according to a recent article where it stated Sakurai was talking with Capcom, the only reason I would consider Slime as well is seeing that Sakurai seems to favor the Dragon Quest series, more in particular DQX which he recently aplauded, not to mention Slime as of late has been in many Nintendo exclusive games even with an upcoming Fortune Street that will feature both Slime & Mario in the same game, I find it as a high possibility.

Actually, Slime and Mario have been in the same game before in Itadaki Street DS. So if "Fortune Street" is the English name, then does that mean America may actually see a U.S. release of the game finally? Also, we can't rule out Fnal Fantasy, seeing as Mario Hoops 3-on-3 was developed by Square and included White Mage, Black Mage, Moogle, etc.. Still, I'd see Slime being a more likely candidate based on current relations. Professor Layton would be an interesting addition. I wouldn't know what kind of moveset he'd have, but Nintendo will most likely think of something. If not, then I guess an Assist Trophy will have to do.

D

Deleted member

Starphoenix said:
How ironic. Two of the biggest Slime supporters I've seen turn on each other. And yes, I am watching.
me said:
I think we've all learned one thing, that any arguments with Slime on GameFAQs will turn ugly.
Remember this quote.

OmegaXXII

Any third party company with a brain would be interested in Smash Bros. I'm sure VanillaWare would love to get Momohime into Smash.
Of course anybody can be interested in Smash, but the fact of the matter is, not many are willing to show it, if this were the case we would have a ton of 3rd party characters trying to be in Smash and all the 3rd party companies trying to win Sakurai's interest, which is something I haven't seen yet.

@BanjoKOSMOS

Really? How popular is the franchise she is from? I was expecting her to be a Diddy.
She is actually pretty popular, so much that she was in a Namco vs Capcom game in Japan.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Star, could you scale these franchises from most popular, to least? Actually, I would like it if NO ONE LOOKS at each others posts, and goes off what they believe when scaling the popularity of these fanchises:

Super Mario
Final Fantasy
Metal Gear Solid
Sonic The Hedgehog
Bomberman
Megaman
Street Fighter
Resident Evil
Dragon Quest
Professor Layton
Pac Man

Fobmescs

Smash Cadet
So I see. Smash Bros. Universe is a fake. Rumor saids it's true. I looked it up on Google. Every page(I think most of the pages are true).

D

Deleted member

Star, could you scale these franchises from most popular, to least? Actually, I would like it if NO ONE LOOKS at each others posts, and goes off what they believe when scaling the popularity of these fanchises:

Super Mario
Final Fantasy
Metal Gear Solid
Sonic The Hedgehog
Bomberman
Megaman
Street Fighter
Resident Evil
Dragon Quest
Professor Layton
Pac Man
From what I see..

Super Mario
Final Fantasy
Sonic the Hedgehog
Dragon Quest
Street Fighter
Resident Evil
Metal Gear Solid
Mega Man
Pac Man
Professor Layton
Bomberman

At least how I view it.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Super Mario
Final Fantasy
Metal Gear Solid
Sonic The Hedgehog
Bomberman
Megaman
Street Fighter
Resident Evil
Dragon Quest
Professor Layton
Pac Man
Super Mario
Pac Man
Sonic The Hedgehog
Final Fantasy
Resident Evil
Street Fighter
Metal Gear Solid
Dragon Quest
Megaman
Professor Layton
Bomberman

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

Super Mario
Final Fantasy
Metal Gear Solid
Sonic The Hedgehog
Bomberman
Megaman
Street Fighter
Resident Evil
Dragon Quest
Professor Layton
Pac Man
Any reason Super Mario is on that list? I mean, it sticks out like a Great Dane in a World's Smallest Dog Competition, especially with the rest of the games being third party. o.O

OmegaXXII

Then why are you voting for Slime (if you are)?
What? Did I ever rule out Black Mage out? I don't think so, I only said Slime seems more likely, never did I say another Square rep wasn't possible, heck I'd rather have Cloud Strife or Sora to be completely honest instead of Slime, truth is, Slime has more going for him bit I'm not ruling out any other possible choices as well.

Good Bye for now.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
What? Did I ever rule out Black Mage out? I don't think so, I only said Slime seems more likely, never did I say other Square rep wasn't possible, heck I'd rather have Cloud Strife or Sora to be completely honest instead of Slime, truth is, Slime has more going for him bit I'm not ruling out any other possible choices as well.

Good Bye for now.

Wha-Where did BM and other FF characters come from? All I said was Slime -_- Cool to the max, bro.
I need to sleep. bye for now.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So, as I posted earlier. How would people feel if Slime played like Arakune from BlazBlue or Shuma Gorath from Marvel Vs. Capcom?
BEES!

Seriously, though, if Slime played like Arakune, he'd have combo potential that would be completely unheard of in a Smash Bros. game... and I might main him for it. XD

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
BEES!

Seriously, though, if Slime played like Arakune, he'd have combo potential that would be completely unheard of in a Smash Bros. game... and I might main him for it. XD
See I have no doubt Slime, or more specifically Rocket, could function as a fighter. My issue is if they would do it?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I suppose it depends on demand, and on the relationship between Nintendo and Square-Enix, as well as the popularity and relevance of Slime or even Dragon Quest.
The relationship is there; and Nintendo has as much of an invested interest in the series as Square Enix does. While Slime has popularity in Japan, at least, it is still a third party character and therefore not likely.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The relationship is there; and Nintendo has as much of an invested interest in the series as Square Enix does. While Slime has popularity in Japan at least it is still a third party character and therefore not likely.
I guess if Sakurai created a poll again, and Slime managed to get enough votes, then it can be possible. But with so many other characters to choose from, it'd be no surprise if Slime if heavily overlooked for more popular characters.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I can see Slime getting in because Square Enix and Nintendo want to market the series. Since Dragon Quest does not have anything that appears in contrast to the Smash Bros atmosphere it would not be such a horrible mesh. This is a very big if and I am of the opinion we will not have any third party characters in the next game.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I want Slime to spit out the bones of Cloud as he appears onto the stage.
As they throw in Dragon Lord from Dragon Quest 1, just to mess with people. If Slime doesn't make it in as a playable character, but they still want to market Dragon Quest, then I can see them making Slime an Assist Trophy, if anything.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Would it be okay for Slime to become a Liquid Slime while crouching? Complete with bubbles popping up out of him? I want his crawl to look like he's just... FLOWING across the stage.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
WELL how well has SE and Nintendo's attempts at marketing the series in US/EU gone?

That's where it comes down to IMO. Is Square see's the EU/US consumer as someone who isn't interested in Smash they would do better picking a game that did well all around. Like Final Fantasy. Maybe Kingdom Hearts even. Although that's a whole slippery slope in itself with the whole no 4th parties ect.

The third party companies have been picking "Most recognizable" over "Most deserving" so far. What with Snake > Simon and Bomberman.

Just something to think about.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
WELL how well has SE and Nintendo's attempts at marketing the series in US/EU gone?

That's where it comes down to IMO. Is Square see's the EU/US consumer as someone who isn't interested in Smash they would do better picking a game that did well all around. Like Final Fantasy. Maybe Kingdom Hearts even. Although that's a whole slippery slope in itself with the whole no 4th parties ect.

The third party companies have been picking "Most recognizable" over "Most deserving" so far. What with Snake > Simon and Bomberman.

Just something to think about.
And this is what I agree with, and is why I think if anything, Slime will not make the cut as a playable character, especially with other more popular Square-Enix characters to choose from.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It's Smash Bros, it is not supposed to be canon. So I guess it would be.

To be honest it has gone quite well. Dragon Quest IX sold more than a million copies outside of Japan and Nintendo is still running events for the series. There is an increased awareness of the Dragon Quest brand, but nothing I am going to over estimate. Fortune Street has the potential to push the series even more just because of having Mario and gang's mugs on the front. Dragon Quest would be a bad choice by any means. Truth is there is just not as much of a general consensus on a Square Enix character. In the West there is not as much of a demand as there is in Japan.

Snake is not a good example as he was more of a favor between Sakurai and Kojima. His whole inclusion process is one giant exception to the rule. Sonic was included due to mass fan demand. You cannot determine a pattern from two isolated, unique set of circumstances.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think if SE was approached/approached by Sakurai it would ultimately come down to: "Is Dragon Quest a wise choice?" If they have any hesitation I see them jumping on board with a Final Fantasy character. I feel like critical thinking is going to be involved if they seriously consider DQ a choice for the SE spot. IF they were contacted by Nintendo that is.

They're a big ??? to me. I mean, Capcom has a lot less to think about. "Are we going with Ryu or are we going with Megaman?" Both are good choices for the entire world.

Snake is not a good example as he was more of a favor between Sakurai and Kojima. His whole inclusion process is one giant exception to the rule. Sonic was included due to mass fan demand. You cannot determine a pattern from two isolated, unique set of circumstances.
TRUE, but was SNAKE picked as part of the favor, or was it more like "Can we get a spot in Smash? Oh, we can! Cool, now who should we pick?". THAT's what I wanna know.

ALSO, how unique are the two circumstances, really? I mean, Sakurai asked, and Sakurai was asked. Those are the only two circumstances there can be right?

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well for my first post of the day I'm quick going to post my thoughts on the dumb things discussed during the past few pages:

Model Swaps - It could happen, but isn't it a little hypocritical seeing all the hatred of clones?

Alternate Costumes - They have a good possibility of happening looking at Wario in Brawl. Mixing them up with Model Swaps is a bit much, however, as there is a big difference which I think people are ignoring.

F-Zero - After some thought, I'm leaning towards the thought that this is a similar case like K. Rool, that relevancy isn't a major deciding factor for inclusion.

Pokemon - As stated, the popularity of Mewtwo and Lucario to stay/return exceeds the demand for a 5th Gen rep. So I think we should be concentrating on getting them in (same goes for Roy and Ike) before we get another rep, of which so far has been proven undebatable. Although an alternative is 6 slots.

Slime - As much as I'd like to explain my heavy thoughts on the matter, I don't feel that this is the right time to do so nor do I feel like debating right now. But I would like to ask this question as to help organize my thoughts.

• Who is more popular: Sonic or Slime? (I'll explain why I'm asking this when the time comes)
Anyway I'm starting to get a good idea on a project that would be perfect for the Backroom in order to start it up again and maybe get some good debates started. If I can come through on this idea of mine and think of a good way to handle it, I'll post it within the coming days.

Later.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I think if SE was approached/approached by Sakurai it would ultimately come down to: "Is Dragon Quest a wise choice?" If they have any hesitation I see them jumping on board with a Final Fantasy character. I feel like critical thinking is going to be involved if they seriously consider DQ a choice for the SE spot. IF they were contacted by Nintendo that is.

They're a big ??? to me. I mean, Capcom has a lot less to think about. "Are we going with Ryu or are we going with Megaman?" Both are good choices for the entire world.
You and I just see it differently, which is perfectly fine. It would be wise from a business perspective for both companies and from a fanbase perspective. There will not be as much of a backlash as there was with Snake, or as there would be if Ryu usurped Megaman. There is no set Square character, so the situation is much less defined.

In any situation I will be relatively happy as I enjoy many of Square Enix's series. So I will be content.

TRUE, but was SNAKE picked as part of the favor, or was it more like "Can we get a spot in Smash? Oh, we can! Cool, now who should we pick?". THAT's what I wanna know.

ALSO, how unique are the two circumstances, really? I mean, Sakurai asked, and Sakurai was asked. Those are the only two circumstances there can be right?
It was more like a favor. Yeah it helps that the series is a major series, but look at the amount of time it took for fans to come around to the decision. It was a gamble from Sakurai that ultimately payed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom