• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Wait, didn't I say that Little Mac was not retro? If not, then that's what I've meant.

:phone:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well, you have to think about it, since they are from the SNES, it truly isn't a retro as opposed to someone from NES I think.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
We're making up terms now?
I think we need to look at the system count, not so much the years.

NES SNES N64 GC Wii WiiU

I think a two system difference is how you should gauge what is "retro".

D

Deleted member

They can from the SNES and still be retro. I think Sakurai is less concern about what consoles they're from and how old they are when deciding retros.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
They can from the SNES and still be retro. I think Sakurai is less concern about what consoles they're from and how old they are when deciding retros.
It's more if they're interesting, really. Ice Climbers shows that popularity isn't necessarily a factor.

ANYWAY, FOR THE SAKE OF DISCUSSION, I guess if you're looking at systems, then our retro characters from Brawl were still from the NES. Since we're making another system jump, I guess SNES characters could then be considered retro.

IT'S ALL SO VAGUE THIS IS A PRETTY TRIVIAL DISCUSSION.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's more if they're interesting, really. Ice Climbers shows that popularity isn't necessarily a factor.

ANYWAY, FOR THE SAKE OF DISCUSSION, I guess if you're looking at systems, then our retro characters from Brawl were still from the NES. Since we're making another system jump, I guess SNES characters could then be considered retro.

IT'S ALL SO VAGUE THIS IS A PRETTY TRIVIAL DISCUSSION.
NES SNES N64 nothing is retro

NES SNES N64 GC One system is retro

NES SNES N64 GC Wii Two systems are retro

NES SnES N64 GC Wii WiiU Three systems are retro

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Shortie: Except Brawl didn't give us a "retro" character from the SNES. That was the point I was making.

I don't think there's even a good N64 character to choose? So why bother? Unless you want to count Saki and Ray despite them having cross-generational series. AND DOSHIN THE GIANT IS A GCN GAME, SILLY.

@Opelucid: Not seriously.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Do people really consider Genesect an option? Seriously two event Pokemon still need to get revealed

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
He doesn't.

Probably won't even come out of a Pokeball.
He's unlikely, but he isn't impossible like Opelucid is implying. It's like when people say a second Sonic rep is "impossible". Time is on his side.

For example: Sakurai and The Pokemon Company might foresee requests blowing up for him after he's revealed and include him. Or he might include him simply because he liked him. You never know.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Darkrai was never going to get into Brawl. It disappoints me to see people just write him off like that. Genesect has a chance, not a big one but he has one. Just read my post above.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
His chances aren't good. He's the Darkrai. IMO Darkrai would have been the better pick for Brawl, similar to how I feel Genesect would be the better pick for SSB4, but it's just not going to happen.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The roster is probably going to be finalized next year. Keldeo may get revealed next year. I don't think anyone is pulling for Keldeo though. And of course, the movies don't matter too much. Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect hardly say "Gen V representative" as much as Zoroark and Victini. It's STILL going to be between those two.

Genesect has no chance and probably smells.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Soooo dudes
Now that metaknights banned i've got a question.

How the **** will they balance metaknight next game?!
He just feels like a characer that no matter what will be good. (Assuming they have to stay true to his character)

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Yes he is. You act as if he has absolutely no chance or something.

Uhm probably because he doesn't Zoroark and Victini and even Meloetta stand in his way as well as Mewtwo. Not to mention Deoxys who will have a way better shot than Genesect if we get R/S 3DS and Meowth who is way more known. And if we get Genesect reveal in 2014 in Japan it won't get revealed until 2015 in the U.S

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Genesect is going to show up as a Pokeball. Keldeo and Meloetta probably would too if Nintendo is going to go as far as revealing them late.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
There will be a large gap between the finalization of the roster and the game's release. Who knows what'll happen between then, like who'll be more requested, more popular. Genesect will have been revealed by the time Smash releases. Sakurai and The Pokemon Company may foresee Genesect's popularity blowing up after his revelation, and/or being even more popular than that if he gets in Smash, therefore they might include him acting on that suspicion.

Genesect can't really be compared to Darkrai. In Darkrai's case, he's like one of those "middling" legendaries. It's hard to explain. He's like what the Regis were to Gen 3; a legendary Pokemon whose popularity and advertising pales compared to some of the other legendaries and the mascots. So he was never going to make it in based on that.

Genesect is the Mewtwo/Deoxys of Gen V. You know, the two-legged legendary with the cool powers that's last on the regional Pokedex, and the one that everyone's gonna want for Smash (well, at least presumably, in Genesect's case after he gets revealed).

It's like how Lucario got in over Deoxys. Lucario was a lot newer and less requested than Deoxys in the pre-Brawl days, IIRC, so people wrote him off in favor of the "older but still relatively new and more popular" Pokemon rep Deoxys (Victini and Zoroark will fit this description by the time Meloetta, Keldeo and Genesect are revealed). And we all know how turned out.

Now I still think that Victini will be the 5th gen rep if we get one. I'm just not going to write Genesect off.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I dunno, assuming Genesect is revealed early 2014, and assuming Sm4sh is released late 2014, it seems like the items would have been done already by that point. COULD HAPPEN THOUGH. It'd be great if he just stood where he pops out, and his cannon spins around quickly like a WHEEL OF MISFORTUNE. Then it suddenly stops and fires a huge OHKO beam. Yehs.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I'm going to be honest... I don't want Genesect on because it's as boring as a potato with wings. It's pretty much Mewtwo 2.0 I want to here the oh it was modified not created nonsense either they both have relations to an evil team. I don't care if you don't like what I'm saying about the bug but in my opinion it's trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom