• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That, too, but I was wondering how bigger stages would be like on Smash 3D since the camera's zoomed out and the models are so small.

They could pull a Smash 64 on us, though, and make every stage relatively small.

Then there's the actual 3D effects and rendering. Don't you have to render everything twice in 3D? I'm not knowledgeable at this type stuff so I'm just curious.
Having small stages would be one way. I have been wondering on the feasibility of having four characters running around on that screen. Chibi models would make them appear larger (more... condensed) so that was my solution. :awesome: BUT THAT PRESENTS LOADS MORE PROBLEMS.

The 3D effects do require being rendered twice. That's a matter of processing though, not memory.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You know what? I actually forgot about Bowser's Castle. I do think that stage is likely as well considering how demanded it seems to be.

Starship Mario
New Super Mario Land
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road
Luigi's Greater Mansion
Mushroomy Kingdom

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'll explain why Luigi's Mansion isn't going to return. The pattern since Melee has been that one stage from each series has returned in the following game. The exception to this rule was Icicle Mountain and Flat Zone, which were likely cut due to being generally abhorred in addition to the fact that both series had no new content to warrant an additional stage. One other lesser known fact is we have had "successor" stages in each installments. Stages that build upon an existing stage in the previous game, here are some examples:

Mushroom Kingdom (64) - Mushroom Kingdom (Melee)
Sector Z (64) - Corneria (Melee)
Yoshi's Island (64) - Yoshi's Story (Melee)
Green Greens (64) - Green Greens (Melee)

Pokémon Stadium (Melee) - Pokémon Stadium 2 (Brawl)
Icicle Mountain (Melee) - The Summit (Brawl)
Flat Zone (Melee) - Flat Zone 2 (Brawl)
Mute City (Melee) - Port Town: Aero Dive (Brawl)

While some are a little "looser" than others my point remains. There is a pattern in how some stages are developed. It is very easy to see "Luigi's Greater Mansion" being a successor to the original Luigi's Mansion, making it more reflective of Luigi's Mansion 2. It would be pointless to bring back a stage that can easily be upgraded. This is why I also eliminate Mario Circuit from the returning status, because Rainbow Road could also succeed Mario Circuit. The only stage that are left in contention are Mushroomy Kingdom, Mario Bros, and Delfino Plaza. I give the edge to Mushroomy Kingdom because of the nostalgia factor of World 1-1 and 1-2.

I have a list of stages I feel can "succeed" existing stages in ways.

Spear Pillar - Tin Tower
Mario Circuit - Rainbow Road
Luigi's Mansion - Luigi's Greater Mansion
Green Greens - Cookie Canyon
Distant Planet - Pikmin 3 stage
Smashville - New Smashville*

New Smashville I am a little shaky with because I think it is possible to have two Animal Crossing stages. I also don't see Yoshi, Ice Climbers or Game and Watch receiving a new stage as they have no new content to work with. In addition all three have really good stages as it is now.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Having small stages would be one way. I have been wondering on the feasibility of having four characters running around on that screen. Chibi models would make them appear larger (more... condensed) so that was my solution. :awesome: BUT THAT PRESENTS LOADS MORE PROBLEMS.

The 3D effects do require being rendered twice. That's a matter of processing though, not memory.
Ah, I see. 3DS seems like a decently powahful machine built around 3D capability, so that should be of no consequence.

Lol, that causes more problems?

And then since the 3DS has some kind of circle pad extension pack now, is it possible Sakurai may incorporate that into Smash 3D somehow? Or do you think he'd just wait for the inevitable hardware redesign?

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, to spur some discussion. Here is another stage concept. If it were possible for something to be worked out between both Square Enix and Nintendo, maybe we could see this?

You know the song and it's wooden master of the Geno secret society. The infamous Forest Maze from Super Mario RPG rises from obscurity!

The stage takes place in the dark woods of the maze itself. The trees bend an twist, concealing the pipes scattered along the backdrop. Mushrooms and stumps abound rotting on the floor of this green labyrinth. The ground covered with green foliage blanketing the ground. Wigglers traipse along the ground in the back with their carefree smile and walk. Also making appearances in the background will be Chocobos and Slimes as an ode to Square Enix's larger properties. The sun will glisten through the trees, and as they blow in the wind the light will scatter in the forest floor. Giving the stage a dark but ambient setting. Something befitting for a forest. Little tomatoes will abound on the leaves of the trees dropping below as time goes on.

The platforms will be made of many forest based material. Stumps and mushrooms will be your platforms. In the middle of the stage is a large mushroom that acts as a large platform, two stumps on both sides of the stage will play as platforms allowing you to access the higher levels. Another mushroom will occasionally sprout from the stage acting as an extra platform. It can appear in the upper right hand corner of the stage, sprouting off of a tree. Rattle the mushroom on the tree enough and the mushroom will fall off. Damaging any opponents caught in its path ever so slightly. The stage is not walk off, strangely, even though it is on the ground. It is a stage you must recover on. Luckily it is spacious enough to avoid being knocked off too much.

A perfect stage to represent the iconic setting from the cult hit, and cult is right, Super Mario RPG.

Stage Example:

...................................oooo
.............ooooooooooo
......__............................__
xx_______________________xx

Super Mario RPG - Beware The Forest Mushrooms
Super Mario RPG - Stronger Monster
Super Mario RPG - Armed Boss
Super Mario RPG - Booster's Tower ~ And My Name is Booster
Super Mario RPG - Smithy ~ Smithy Transformed
Super Mario RPG - Bowser's Theme
Super Mario RPG - Nimbus Land
Super Mario RPG - Culex
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Boss Battle
Super Mario World - Forest of Illusion
Chrono Trigger - Secret of the Forest
Secret of Mana - Into The Thick of It
Hmmm... it is nice... but it is clear that the Geno fans are blinded by their love/obsession for Geno to recognize that Forest Maze, the location itself, isn't iconic... it is just a generic forest. I am pretty sure that Lost Woods (from several Zelda games throughout 25 years) is far more iconic and well-known compared to Forest Maze (from one Mario game in 1996). The Forest Maze stage you came up with? It could easily be seen as the Forest of Illusion from Super Mario World because it was a forest maze full of Wigglers, too.

I would wager that the most iconic location in Super Mario RPG would be the giant sword stabbed through Bowser's Castle. Hell, it's on the front box art and it's in the in-game title screen. You fans want a Bowser's Castle stage, right? And you fans want a Super Mario RPG stage, right? So, put them together and you get a Bowser's Castle stage based on Super Mario RPG... with the giant sword stabbed through the castle.

I mean, really... the reason people bought Super Mario RPG in 1996 was because it was a new Mario game. They did not buy the game for Geno, they bought the game for Mario, for Bowser, for Peach, for the Mushroom Kingdom, not for Geno. Once again, there is a reason it was called Super Mario RPG and not Super Geno RPG.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
Hmmm... it is nice... but it is clear that the Geno fans are blinded by their love/obsession for Geno to recognize that Forest Maze, the location itself, isn't iconic... it is just a generic forest. I am pretty sure that Lost Woods (from several Zelda games throughout 25 years) is far more iconic and well-known compared to Forest Maze (from one Mario game in 1996). The Forest Maze stage you came up with? It could easily be seen as the Forest of Illusion from Super Mario World because it was a forest maze full of Wigglers, too.

I would wager that the most iconic location in Super Mario RPG would be the giant sword stabbed through Bowser's Castle. Hell, it's on the front box art and it's in the in-game title screen. You fans want a Bowser's Castle stage, right? And you fans want a Super Mario RPG stage, right? So, put them together and you get a Bowser's Castle stage based on Super Mario RPG... with the giant sword stabbed through the castle.

I mean, really... the reason people bought Super Mario RPG in 1996 was because it was a new Mario game. They did not buy the game for Geno, they bought the game for Mario, for Bowser, for Peach, for the Mushroom Kingdom, not for Geno. Once again, there is a reason it was called Super Mario RPG and not Super Geno RPG.

i heard that game this so ****ing badass i was shock to think mario in rpg game i was shock i was crying and saying thank you lord :) lol

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Actually I chose the forest for reasons apart from actual importance in the game itself. While the forest itself may lack in priority it does not lack in popularity, solely because of that infamous song. If I were going based on importance I would choose Smithy's Factory, but I decided not too because I already have several castle based stages (Bowser's Castle, Hyrule Castle, Venus Lighthouse) and adding one more would ruin the congruency I keep with all of my stages. They all connect, and I have a system in place that keeps them varied but unified. Silly I know, but I simply don't whip these things out for fun only. There is a process by which I analyze and evaluate each selection.

And calm down with the Geno bashing, k? Goodness.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
No more castle based stages?

So I guess then Takamaru doesn't get his own stage? :(

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
No more castle based stages?

So I guess then Takamaru doesn't get his own stage? :(
As I do not feel Takamaru can adequately receive a stage that will not conflict with Tin Tower, I will not be doing a stage for Takamaru. Sorry. :(

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Actually I chose the forest for reasons apart from actual importance in the game itself. While the forest itself may lack in priority it does not lack in popularity, solely because of that infamous song. If I were going based on importance I would choose Smithy's Factory, but I decided not too because I already have several castle based stages (Bowser's Castle, Hyrule Castle, Venus Lighthouse) and adding one more would ruin the congruency I keep with all of my stages. They all connect, and I have a system in place that keeps them varied but unified. Silly I know, but I simply don't whip these things out for fun only. There is a process by which I analyze and evaluate each selection.
I understand that but I doubt anyone is going to recognize a generic forest. If people see a stage with Bowser's Castle, they will recognize it right away. And if they see that giant sword through the castle, I promise you that most of the older fans will recognize it instantly. Can you say honestly the same about Forest Maze? A forest that can easily be confused with Forest of Illusion in Super Mario World? A forest so obscure that a lot of people would rather see the Lost Woods from the Zelda games or the forest worlds in New Super Mario Bros. games?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
As I do not feel Takamaru can adequately receive a stage that will not conflict with Tin Tower, I will not be doing a stage for Takamaru. Sorry. :(
Oh well. But I'm still pretty sure Takamaru will get a stage if he makes it in, so I do doubt the Tin Tower will happen. No offense.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I understand that but I doubt anyone is going to recognize a generic forest. If people see a stage with Bowser's Castle, they will recognize it right away. And if they see that giant sword through the castle, I promise you that most of the older fans will recognize it instantly. Can you say honestly the same about Forest Maze? A forest that can easily be confused with Forest of Illusion in Super Mario World? A forest so obscure that a lot of people would rather see the Lost Woods from the Zelda games or the forest worlds in New Super Mario Bros. games?
Well since we are expanding the argument beyond my stage concept and into what is likely I will agree with you that Bowser's Castle w/ sword would likely make for a more iconic scene. Still, I see Bowser's Castle being it's own entity. Given how many people requested "Beware the Forest Mushrooms" I am sure they are going to think that somehow means the forest area is popular as well. This is one weird case where the popularity of the song itself somehow makes the setting a little more pronounced. Somehow I see the developers gravitating towards having a "woodsy" setting. Remember, generic settings are not necessarily a bad thing. It just depends upon where and how you utilize them.

The Super Mario World "Forest of Illusion" connection was my intention. It is an amalgamation that picks little cameos from that world into the stage. Also, your last point about claiming what people want in an already hypothetical situation is not a good basis for an argument. Heck, I'm not even trying to have an argument. Just explain my choice.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Takamaru's stage will be the best. So gorgeous. I wish I could figure out a way to work in some WATER somehow. I want it to be a drop-off stage, but then that's would sort of rule out having enough land to justify a stream running through. I guess. THERE HAS TO BE WATER, because when LIGHTNING STRIKES, and the castle (I guess Ao Castle???) becomes Murasame Castle, the water will turn to BLOOD. And it slows characters down. JUST LIKE IN THE GAME.

And you can get the same out of Dragon Spiral Tower, so no need for Tin Tower. :awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Unmm... I think it is rather silly to say we cannot have "clone" stages, so to speak. If one stage is based on a castle from the Mario games, it wouldn't be the same as another staged based on a castle from the Zelda games. You know what I am saying? I mean, you won't find Pokemon popping up everywhere in Takamaru's castle stage and you won't find ninjas and samurais popping up everywhere in Tin Tower.

It reminds me of that old debate/argument I had with Pieman months ago over space-based Mario stages. I had suggested Starship Mario from Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Rainbow Road from Mario Kart series to be in SSB4. Pieman showed up and said that we cannot have both because they are Mario stages that take place in space. Obviously yes, what's the problem? It isn't like you are going to get hit by racing karts on Starship Mario. It isn't like there would be a gravity gimmick on Rainbow Road.

We also had two Yoshi's Island stages in Brawl. We also had two Pokemon Stadium stages in Brawl. :awesome:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Takamaru's stage will be the best. So gorgeous. I wish I could figure out a way to work in some WATER somehow. I want it to be a drop-off stage, but then that's would sort of rule out having enough land to justify a stream running through. I guess. THERE HAS TO BE WATER, because when LIGHTNING STRIKES, and the castle (I guess Ao Castle???) becomes Murasame Castle, the water will turn to BLOOD. And it slows characters down. JUST LIKE IN THE GAME.
You have so many ideas for a Takamaru stage, I'm surprised you haven't made your own stage concept. :laugh:

Although, the blood may be over doing it, this is Smash Bros after all... :awesome:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Actually we would have a gravity gimmick on rainbow road, seeing as rainbow road for mario kart 64 was slightly messed up in terms of gravity when it came to jumping over that first downward ramp. Instead of falling it was more like you were gliding :-P

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Actually we would have a gravity gimmick on rainbow road, seeing as rainbow road for mario kart 64 was slightly messed up in terms of gravity when it came to jumping over that first downward ramp. Instead of falling it was more like you were gliding :-P
Ummm... I mean, Rainbow Road would not have the gravity gimmick like you would expect in Super Mario Galaxy games. Rainbow Road would probably be floaty like the Pokemon Stadium 2 during the "Flying-type" mode.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Unmm... I think it is rather silly to say we cannot have "clone" stages, so to speak. If one stage is based on a castle from the Mario games, it wouldn't be the same as another staged based on a castle from the Zelda games. You know what I am saying? I mean, you won't find Pokemon popping up everywhere in Takamaru's castle stage and you won't find ninjas and samurais popping up everywhere in Tin Tower.

It reminds me of that old debate/argument I had with Pieman months ago over space-based Mario stages. I had suggested Starship Mario from Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Rainbow Road from Mario Kart series to be in SSB4. Pieman showed up and said that we cannot have both because they are Mario stages that take place in space. Obviously yes, what's the problem? It isn't like you are going to get hit by racing karts on Starship Mario. It isn't like there would be a gravity gimmick on Rainbow Road.

We also had two Yoshi's Island stages in Brawl. We also had two Pokemon Stadium stages in Brawl. :awesome:
Wait, what? I didn't say we "couldn't" I said I won't do one because of my already existing Tin Tower stage concept. I understand what you are saying about how one castle can vary with each series, and I agree. My stage concepts that revolve around castles or rooftops currently stand at Bowser's Castle, Diamond City, Tin Tower, Venus Lighthouse, and Hyrule Castle Interior and N's Castle in a looser sense. I'm trying to keep my themes varied. Is this really so difficult to understand? I mean heck I made a second Animal Crossing stage in addition to bringing back Smashville! I just don't want to do a Takamaru stage and I, personally, feel Tin Tower can represent that old Japanese style quite well. Key word, "personally".

I should also throw in Orange Star Headquarters. But technically that is a hangar.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You have so many ideas for a Takamaru stage, I'm surprised you haven't made your own stage concept. :laugh:

Although, the blood may be over doing it, this is Smash Bros after all... :awesome:
I JUST DON'T MAKE THEM AS BIG AS STAR'S...

There would be SAKURA blossoms blowing through the air, a nice Japanese landscape, straight out of a painting (YOU KNOW THE ONES!). Calm little stream flowing gently. Invisible tanookies would walk across the stage at times, you only see the little puffs of dust as they walk. Hit one, it appears and drops an item (JUST LIKE IN THE GAMES). The stage itself, of course, is one of those traditional Japanese castles.

LIGHTNING STRIKES!

The landscape becomes nightmarish. It's dark out, skulls and junk everywhere. No more Sakura blossoms BECAUSE THE TREES ARE NOW ON FIRE. The stream becomes cherry kool-aid (This is Smash after all) which slows down any opponent who walks in it. (This was not a deep stream to begin with)

I think that's it~

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Which reminds me, we need a stage centered around a digestive track... Jabu Jabu's Belly would be fascinating.

@Oasis: If you can come up with a really good Takamaru stage concept that could convince a skeptic such as myself, I'd gladly post it in my blog just like I did with Tri-Hyphen.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Which reminds me, we need a stage centered around a digestive track... Jabu Jabu's Belly would be fascinating.
Bowser's Inside Story???

...I liked that one frog boss in Yoshi's Island that ate you and you had to throw eggs at its little dangly throat thing. :3

@Star: I dunno, how detailed would I need to get? ...I've been meaning to doodle my stage ideas, PARTICULARLY POKEMON STADIUM 3, but... lazy.

They're no MACH RIDER after all.

@Star again: NEVERMIND THEN.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Just a somewhat detailed paragraph or two with your music selections.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If Bowser's digestive system is a stage, that means Bowser isn't playable in SSB4. :troll:
I just got an idea for an adventure mode stage. :awesome:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Really need to bring this back on topic.

Here is an idea guys. What if we do get another Star Fox character, but it is Slippy. How would you guys feel about Slippy if he was able to do more things than all three of the Star Fox crew?

D

Deleted member

Really need to bring this back on topic.

Here is an idea guys. What if we do get another Star Fox character, but it is Slippy. How would you guys feel about Slippy if he was able to do more things than all three of the Star Fox crew?
By having an unique move set? I would be fine with it. Star Fox needs an unique rep and anything somewhat important will do; be that Krystal or another unique Star Fox character. Sadly, in reality, Slippy would probably be a clone.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sadly, in reality Slippy has a better shot than Krystal. Last thing I want is that bumbling frog in this game. He'd be like the Phoenix Wright of Nintendo characters... :\

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
When I was younger, I thought Slippy might be cool since, as a frog, he could have some great jumping abilities. ...But then, as a bird, Falco also has great jumping abilities. AND PEPPY BEING A RABBIT...

Now I'm imagining the Blue Marine falling on the stage for his Final Smash, doing absolutely nothing since it is out of its element. Typical Slippy being useless.

STAR. I'm curious. Why were you such a huge Wolf supporter again? Did you just want to be able to tell the Krystal supporters "CAN'T LET YOU SUPPORT THAT..." or something? Be honest.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sadly, in reality Slippy has a better shot than Krystal. Last thing I want is that bumbling frog in this game. He'd be like the Phoenix Wright of Nintendo characters... :\
No, the Phoenix Wright of Nintendo characters would be Tom Nook.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Sakurai has pretty much said characters like Tom Nook, where fighting is not in their nature, aren't going to be playable. I mean he compared the Animal Crossing Human to a Nintendog...

It'd be neat to see, BUT IT PROBABLY WON'T HAPPEN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom