• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Sakurai Interview: Smash Bros DS and 4 news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I would also like to point out that the Wii is just as corrent gen as the PS3 and 360 (they are all corrent gen. . .).

It not being as powerful doesn't make it any less corrent gen. . . :ohwell:
Yes, the Wii counts as being a part of the same generation as the 360/PS3, however, it is much closer to the grapical prowess of the GCN/X-BOX than the 360/PS3.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Yet the 360 and PS3 have had games that expand quite a lot on previous games in the series, so I don't see why it would be a problem for Smash.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, the Wii counts as being a part of the same generation as the 360/PS3, however, it is much closer to the grapical prowess of the GCN/X-BOX than the 360/PS3.
And? Since when do you define generations by graphical potential and treat those who cannot reach the same potential as others as "not really part of the generation"?

Luigi player

Smash Master
4. He says 'right now we have 39 characters. If I made another and had 50 characters would that make a better game? No.' YES!!!

50 characters would make a better game. Even if he'd just add one character... but only the people who'd really like that one would buy it probably. (If you could connect to Brawl with the new one... >_>)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The next person to make a post in here *****ing about BRawl or Sakurai will recieve a week ban. I'm sick of it. Got a complaint? /use the complaint topic. The reason we have it is to stop people *****ing in every other topic.

This means you too Yuna.

Black/Light

Smash Master
That's what I said. I said more powerful hardware makes it more difficult to include more characters.
Oh, miss read that:p

But the second part still stands. Nintendo will probly go 360 to PS3 level (or higher) of power next gen but by than there will be means to make HD games at that level cheaper and easier than they are now.

So it wouldn't be nearly as hard to pop those types of games out as it is now.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
And? Since when do you define generations by graphical potential and treat those who cannot reach the same potential as others as "not really part of the generation"?
I am sorry I don't understand where you are coming from. Are you upset that I included the Wii as a part of this generation or not? A lot of people have been taking my statements out of context lately.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Yuna's correct.

This the the same logic that M$ and SONY use to brush off the fact that the Wii is ****** their console's in sells.

They are all in the 7th "grade" when it comes to consoles (using school as a example). . .the Wii being shorter than the other kids and looking like a large 6th grader (less powerful) doesn't make it any less of a 7th grader.

And from you above post.
When you call something "not true next gen" because it's not as powerful/ it much more different than the others in some areas kinda comes off as you making it out to be less than it is.

(and I wish people would call them corrent gen. . .thats what they all are. It seems like "Nex gen" is just used to make a difference between Wii and the HD twins)

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
4. He says 'right now we have 39 characters. If I made another and had 50 characters would that make a better game? No.' YES!!!

50 characters would make a better game. Even if he'd just add one character... but only the people who'd really like that one would buy it probably. (If you could connect to Brawl with the new one... >_>)
I would buy it too, in a second, but I know where Sakurai's coming from (if this is a real interview that is). Games take a lot of effort to make, so maybe he wouldn't want to make another unless it had a lot of improvements. I don't think he would want it to become the new FIFA or Guitar Hero,

Oh, miss read that:p

But the second part still stands. Nintendo will probly go 360 to PS3 level (or higher) of power next gen but by than there will be means to make HD games at that level cheaper and easier than they are now.

So it wouldn't be nearly as hard to pop those types of games out as it is now.
I'm personally not sure if Nintendo will do that, I think their new direction speaks for itself...

If the entire game is "too fast" for you, switch games.
Yuna, that's exactly what I meant. Some people just don't like the type of game because of the play speed (not talking characters either, and you don't have to play as Sonic anyway). I just resented you assuming the people I was talking about were idiots. That's all.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
they could just do and online update where you download the patch from the wii shop channel and add extra characters, stages, get rid of tripping, etc.
I almsot died of laughter.

Not happening. Stop thinking they are capable or smart at things like that. If they were, I think they would've by now. :/

Anyways, I'd love to see a new Smash Bros. Take away tripping, add some kind of tech that adds the skill equation back, and better hitstun, and you'll have smex.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ugh, I said that the Wii is a part of the same generation as the 360/PS3, however, if you think the Wii is closer to the 360/PS3 graphically than the GCN then you are lying to yourself.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Ugh, I said that the Wii is a part of the same generation as the 360/PS3, however, if you think the Wii is closer to the 360/PS3 graphically than the GCN then you are lying to yourself.
Noone thinks that, I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding. Wii is still 7th gen, 6th gen graphics or not.

I personally think Nintendo's 8th gen still won't compare with PS360 hardware wise. I'd like to be surprised, just think, probably the first time a main competetor had released a "weaker than last gen" console.

I really want Nintendo's 8th gen to be a real gamer's console again. Anyway, sorry for heading off topic.

Oh, and I don't think Smash Bros DS will happen to be honest. If it's not being made already it won't get peak sales before the DS "dies". I think Nintendo's 8th gen handheld could be revealed in the next 1 to 3 years.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
If there is a Smash DS, I think the cast will be the original 12, unless it's 2D, then it has more chance of having a slightly bigger cast.

In that case I think they would have the original 12 and a select few from both Melee and Brawl.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I'm personally not sure if Nintendo will do that, I think their new direction speaks for itself...
You are completely correct about Nintendo's direction.

Nintendo didn't do that this gen because HD aint the norm amoung people. They said that they will go HD after it becomes the norm amoung people and that will happy in the next 4-5 years.

Thats why the PS3 is selling at GC rates with the 360 getting bent over by the Wii. The HD twins just rushed it, HD aint the norm and their consoles are effing costly to buy and make games on because of it.

Nintendo is into staying in the $250 range with low dev cost and easy to devilop on hardware. All these will be much easier to do in 2013-2014 at 360/ PS3 level of power. They will still be the weakest when it comes to power compared to the others but thats because the others will jump up from thier corrent levels of power.:p

Black/Light

Smash Master
No one was saying that.

The Wii is a true 7th gen console, just as the PS3 and 360 are.

Those two don't rank what's 7th gen via power just as the Wii doesn't rank whats 7th gen via the use of motion controls.

Thats all we are saying, it's a TRUE corrent gen (or "Nex-gen" as you called them) console.:p

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
This interview is real, I'm sorry I can't get a link or scans. But why would I post BS?
Here's another thing he said. A big thing.
He said if he makes another there will be a big change to the dynamics of the game. Discuss.

Snail

Smash Lord
This interview is real, I'm sorry I can't get a link or scans. But why would I post BS?
He said if he makes another there will be a big change to the dynamics of the game. Discuss.
That could be either good or bad... I'd like some change but I love the game the way it is. Shouldn't change TOO much o:

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I don't see what is wrong with the current gameplay of smash. Yes, sometimes I like faster matches provided by Melee, but I also like the slower and more floaty gameplay of Brawl. Is it that hard for Melee and Brawl to co-exist?

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
1. Smash Bros would be perfect on DS.
2. If people need another Smash Bros in a few years he'll be glad to work on it.
3. He's already admitted to cutting out characters but he says he had plenty of other ideas
he had to cut.
4. He says 'right now we have 39 characters. If I made another and had 50 characters would that make a better game? No.'
1. Maybe it would, who knows.
2. ....
3. Aw well, there's not a lot we can do about that anyway.
4. I don't understand that logic, the whole entire Smash series revolves around the characters.

Anyway like someone else said, are we sure this interview is real? Couldn't we get some pictures uploaded or something?

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
In the latest issue of EDGE magazine Sakurai stated some interesting things.

2. If people need another Smash Bros in a few years he'll be glad to work on it.
3. He's already admitted to cutting out characters but he says he had plenty of other ideas
he had to cut.
4. He says 'right now we have 39 characters. If I made another and had 50 characters would that make a better game? No.'

I'll add more in more detail soon so discuss!
1. Meh. I'm mixed on this one.
2. That's good. He seems to be the only person with the experience to make a good Smash Bros. game. All he needs for the next one is a few new approaches. Maybe hire some people that can appeal to the fans' wishes and some that are into the more competitive aspects of Smash.
3. Sad. I'm pretty sure that if he wasn't on a deadline then he'd be able to implement those ideas.
4. I see where he's going with this. Just because a game has a load of content doesn't mean it's good. I know Smash revolves around its characters, but it seems Sakurai wants to improve on some things as well. Y'know, different physics, new innovations, improvements on what's already there.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Assuming what you are saying is true, this could either be really good thing or a really bad thing depending on what exactly these big dynamic changes are.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
may as well give my 2 cents.
he had to cut.
1. Of course it would.
2. I'm kinda mixed on this. I really don't like what Sakurai did with SSBB, so as long as Sakurai, or at least SOMEONE, would listen to the fans for once, I'll be good with it. So that means no random tripping/sleeping, no "omg, everyone shud win" mindset, no wasting precious development time on a crappy beat-em-up that nobody will play a second time, and no half-rate with anyone modes. but I'm not counting on it.
3.Quite a shame really.
4. Once again, mixed. I would be perfectly fine with just more characters, since that's mostly the entire point of the smash series, but I suppose a renovation would be okay, as long as nothing gets dumbed down ala, brawl. But once again, not counting on it.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Sorry...but this sounds very suspicious to me. Why not type out the whole article if it's true? I find it strange that no one else has been able to confirm this.

And why would you post BS? Why would anyone post BS? The answer is unknown, but the fact is that it's been done many times before. In all honesty, it sounds like you took a bit from the Official Nintendo Magazine and added your own stuff, like the DS thing.

But if you can provide proof, I'd be more than happy to apologize for doubting you.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Sakurai made the best smash game on accident (melee), he better be god **** wasted 24/7 for the next 8 years...

Spire

III
BRoomer
I actually find it quite sad that the world of Smash Bros revolves so strongly around the characters than the gameplay. You could put every single character that anyone and everyone wants in the game, but without good mechanics, everyone would hate it, and the game would flop. On the other hand, even if you were to put I don't know... a 100 characters including a bunch of bull****ters like Goku, Master Chief, Naruto, Cloud, etc, etc, the game would still flop.

Boundaries are necessary.

When deciding what characters should be in the game, the developers must take into account what characters would: a) fit in with the others, not feeling 'filler' and extraneous, b) sport a cohesive, [unique], and enjoyable moveset that works in conjunction with every single other character, and c) would appeal to the majority of players.

Now, aside from fan-service, it can be grueling to pick which characters actually [more or less] deserve to be in the game. For instance, while we have three Starfox characters already, do we really need another, when that space could be given to another, more necessary character? Is Krystal, despite being a female, really necessary? Okay, so she's had a staff in the past, but judging from the path that Smash Bros has taken, all characters act differently than they do in their respective games, despite any similarities like Link's bow, boomerang, and bombs. Many say that Krystal (sorry, I'm just using her as an example) would use her staff, but odds are, she wouldn't. Ganondorf should have used his sword, but he didn't. Just to be clear, I'm not complaining at all, I'm perfectly happy with Brawl and the direction that Smash Bros has taken since day one.

Now, since this thread is heavily influenced by Smash Bros' possible incarnation on the DS, I will translate over to this realm. The DS is built entirely different than the Wii, duh. Brawl, however, was built for the Wii, but for both Wiimote and Gamecube controller players. That being said, if possible, Brawl could have appeared on the Gamecube, if the system could support it (which it could not). This being said, the DS is similar to the GCN controller, and the Wiimote, is it not? Aside from the Wii, the DS is built around the use of dual-screens, using both for different purposes. We may not have a thumbstick on the DS, but we have a D-Pad, and that can definitely control the direction that you move in. However, unlike systems like the Playstation in which the D-Pad buttons are separate, the DS's directional buttons are all conjoined, working like a more-fixated analog stick. We also have A, B, X, Y, L, and R. In other words, we have attack/smash, special, jump, and shield/dodge, and grab. We have Smash Bros in the palms of our hands.

To address extraneous game modes, I feel that many should be taken out, such as: trophies, stickers, stage builder (unless room can be made for it), masterpieces, and chronicle. The only modes I see fit for returning are: Target Test, Training, Home-Run Contest, and of course, Classic, Adventure, and the entirety of the Versus mode. Cutting back on a lot of this would make room for perfecting the mechanics, polishing the graphics, and making the game overall enjoyable.

Now, to divert back to characters. I mentioned several pages back my idea for a great character system. Since SSBDS is more or less a "spin-off" title, due to the history of the series being only on the big consoles, the roster should be much different than it ever has before. Firstly, I feel that they should have about 26 characters, 16 of which are veterans, and 10 of which are newcomers, ordered in a full roster of a 3x9 rectangle, the last space being the RANDOM select. I propose the following roster:

EDIT: I've designated this idea because I feel that we need a substantial shift from the roster that we have had. Rather than subtracting a few characters and just tacking on more, why not change it substantially? Besides, given that this would be a spin-off title, fans could be introduced to a new set of characters, different from the normal "add-on" formula that we've been following so that when SSB4 is being designed, the developers can choose the characters from both Brawl and SSBDS that the fans like the most. Keep in mind that this cast has been semi-chosen in correspondence with the handheld appearances/debuts of the characters such as Link (PH latest appearance), Vaati, Lucas, Pokemon, Animal Crossing (latest appearance), Fox and Leon (latest appearance).

EDIT 2: Reasoning for the aforementioned characters are as follows:
  • Mario - Nintendo's #1 mascot; you can't have the game without him.
  • Luigi - Been there with Mario since day one; he's tails if Mario is heads - you can't have one without the other.
  • Bowser - Mario and Luigi's long-time nemesis and Nintendo's most recognized villain.
  • Donkey Kong - Nintendo's first real video game and one of the most iconic characters in video game history.
  • King K. Rool - Donkey Kong's rival (after Mario) and a prominent characters in the DK games.
  • Waluigi - Wario appeared in Brawl, so for a spinoff, a very relative character takes his place.
  • Link - in his Toon appearance due to Phantom Hourglass being on the DS.
  • Vaati - a recurring villain of the "Toon Link" in Minish Cap, Four Swords, and Four Swords Adventures.
  • Isaac - a much desired character who debuted in Smash Bros as an AT in Brawl. Has a very potential moveset.
  • Samus - one of the video game's leading female heroines.
  • Ice Climbers - were resurrected in Melee from the depths of retro gaming and have since established quite the name for themselves.
  • Little Mac - both Melee and Brawl have inducted retro characters; and now SSBDS gets a new one.
  • Kirby - is Sakurai's child and a staple on the Nintendo world.
  • King Dedede - One of (if not) the most well-known Kirby character (besides the pink puffball himself).
  • Olimar - a genuine Nintendo character of recent years who plucks plant-people to do his bidding.
  • Fox - a veteran; what more to say?
  • Leon - we were introduced to Falco in Melee, Wolf in Brawl, and now Leon in SSBDS. The heroes : villains ratio is complete. Fox : Wolf :: Falco : Leon.
  • Captain Falcon - The only F-Zero rep to date and has been here since SSB64.
  • Pikachu - one of Nintendo's most well-known mascot, and the core representative of Pokemon.
  • Pokemon Trainer - if Pikachu wasn't around, the Pokemon Trainer would take the cake as the most popular character, with an arsenal of three alternating Pokemon.
  • Deoxys - Mewtwo was replaced by Lucario, and now Lucario has been replaced by Deoxys; a Pokemon who can change between four different forms.
  • Ike - makes the cut because of his recent appearance in Brawl. Marth is not gone, but Ike deserves a spin-off comeback.
  • Lucas - see Ike's description.
  • Animal Crosser - yeah, yeah there's no violence in AC, but many characters in Smash Bros have never fought before, so why can't a moveset be made for him/her?
  • Bomberman - a bit of a stretch, but as a spin-off replacement for Snake, he's well deserved; plus he has garnered quite the reputation for years.
  • Megaman - The third most likely 3rd-party character to appear in Smash Bros. As a spin-off replacement for Sonic, he fits in perfectly.

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, what? Super Smash Bros. would be "perfect" for the Nintendo DS? Clearly Sakurai is more insane than we thought.
Fail...use common sense please

This thread turned into a SSB4 discussion :ohwell:

And I think this "Smash DS" will probably be like a 2-D Street Fighter-type of mechanics game. Who knows.
It is an ssb4 discussioin...sort of

Sinistar

Smash Journeyman
It's amazing how nobody can be happy. Ever.

Wasn't the same thing said about Melee before everyone figured out all the cool techniques?

Right.

majora_787

Smash Hero
SSBDS actually sounds like a good idea. Super Smash Bros. would be a good handheld game, and the physics would work out great for the usual handheld graphics. The roster spire made is good, but I would make a couple small tweaks to it. For starters, I would think maybe a couple more characters *2-3*, but few enough for there to be organization in the roster.

I kinda think it may be a bit late for a SSBDS, but I think it could be possible, deffinatly. The physics of smash were virtually made for the DS, and all of the controls could be implimented perfectly. Even the MIC and stylus.

I don't see why people say SSBDS wouldn't work, other than the fact that it's a bit late for this. But on the other hand, I see no new handhelds coming out soon. =\

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Funny thought I just had...SSBDS would have a better online interface than Brawl...heh...

...and you all know that's the truth.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's amazing how nobody can be happy. Ever.

Wasn't the same thing said about Melee before everyone figured out all the cool techniques?

Right.
Pretty much. From what I remember, it took most people like 2 years after Melee was released to stop whining about the clones and how most of the cast really wasn't tournament viable...

Teh Uber Parachuter

Smash Cadet
Yuna's correct.

This the the same logic that M$ and SONY use to brush off the fact that the Wii is ****** their console's in sells.

They are all in the 7th "grade" when it comes to consoles (using school as a example). . .the Wii being shorter than the other kids and looking like a large 6th grader (less powerful) doesn't make it any less of a 7th grader.

And from you above post.
When you call something "not true next gen" because it's not as powerful/ it much more different than the others in some areas kinda comes off as you making it out to be less than it is.

(and I wish people would call them corrent gen. . .thats what they all are. It seems like "Nex gen" is just used to make a difference between Wii and the HD twins)

The Wii is "******" in console sales purely because it is the single biggest piece of technological novelty that we have seen in a loooooong time. (The iPhone comes in at a respectable 2nd). Do not confuse this for the Wii actually being a good console when it comes to hardware. I promise you if you removed the motion sensor from it, and subsequently all the random ppl off the street who see the Wii as "Oooh shiny", the Wii would NOT be outdoing the competition.

With all that said, however, whoever came up with this is a freaking evil genius, because they realized that capturing the market doesn't necessarily mean having the absolute best technology. It means finding what will appeal to people (all people, casual and hardcore alike).

NightVision

Smash Rookie
More third party (MEGAMAN) He'll have to add something totally new to the series since he doesnt want to make one for more characters...maybe a different kind of adventure mode or something
I think megaman would be a samus clone personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom