• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new resting technique - the Phanna rest

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Hello, this is the main reason I'm taking Jigglypuff way more seriously now:

The Phanna Rest

Some notes:
  • What is edge cancelling?

• This is a technique video, not a combo video. I'm not fighting people, it all just cpu's.

• You can't just run out and try winning with this alone, just like any other resting trick. But you should definitely be aware of it to take advantage of it whenever possible, just like combo rests, bad DI rests, etc.

• Depending on who your foe is and their %, pretty much any aerial has the potential of working. You simply slide it off an edge and then rest them. It's faster than any l-cancelled aerial could be, but is also more situational.

• Almost everything I enjoy about this game is finding out new things and sharing it with others to enhance the complexity and enjoyment of the game, that is my only purpose with this.

What you see in the video:
  • uair (reverse) - 34% Roy
    [*]uair (forward) - 22% Bowser
    [*]nair (reverse) - 28% Marth
    [*]nair (reverse) - 61% Mario
    [*]nair (reverse) - 76% Captain Falcon
    [*]nair (forward) - 09% Roy
    [*]fair (reverse) - 35% Zelda
    [*]fair (reverse) - 25% Peach
    [*]fair (reverse) - 21% Ganondorf
    [*]fair (forward) - 23% Fox
    [*]dair (reverse) - 17% Sheik
    [*]dair (reverse) - 24% Ganondorf
    [*]dair (forward) - 15% Samus
    [*]dair (forward) - 67% Peach
    [*]dair (forward) - 20% Marth
    [*]bair (reverse) - 22% Falco
    [*]bair (reverse) - 22% Captain Falcon
There are obviously much more applications, I just wanted to showcase this as soon as I could put a video together about it.

Mx7f

Smash Cadet
Thats frickin' sweet. I saw your video on edge cancelling a couple weeks ago, and the last time I played smash I tried it out edge cancelling dairs to dsmash w/ falco. I realized its not as hard as it would seem to pull off. Never thought of trying edge cancelled rests. Since I love how unique jiggz is, its nice to see a new technique added to her comparatively limited repetoire. Thanks Phanna!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I love you. XD

Nice choice of Music BTW.

Too good.

Phanna works it Harder, Makes it Better, Does it Faster, Makes us Stronger

Bailey

Smash Hero
I new about this but never wanted others to. THANKS PHANNA. Anyways yea I have been using that for awhile but not that frequently so people see what happened lol. It was one of my many secrets..

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I saw this 24 seconds after you posted it on youtube.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
awesome funny.

I think it's cool. It'd be funny to pull off in a human match omgz.

GildedPunch

Smash Ace
OMFG!
This is too great.
I saw a video of ness apparently "edge canceling" his pk fire! ( I main ness )
This is an awesome jiggly move.
Hehe.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
wow.

wow.

This is like adding 2 and 2... and ending up with 1337 as the answer.

Shazz

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm guessing it has to has a name, but I think I've seen that done a few times before. I know The King likes to Nair into rest immediately like you did.
Good stuff though, really makes you fear that Jiggs.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Well I'm guessing it has to has a name, but I think I've seen that done a few times before. I know The King likes to Nair into rest immediately like you did.
Good stuff though, really makes you fear that Jiggs.
King's version didn't involve edge canceling, his involved either fulljump or shffl nairing backwards (not sure if forwards hits them too far away) and being able to control Jiggly's momentum to be able to rest ASAP before the opponent's stun lag wears. Just another trick to rest for Jiggly players.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
When I saw that you had picked up Jigglypuff I knew you were gonna have mad trix up your sleeve :colorful:

I should've known it would involve edge canceling.

The King

Smash Ace
LOL I'm not nearly good enough technically to pull this stuff off consistently. This is so fast, and so crazy awesome. I've been trying to work on Dair->rest setups and situations, and to call this video simply "inspiring" to me would be an understatement. Time to practice =). Very cool stuff Phanna.

King Out

Ghostype

Smash Champion
I've seen this, but I've never been good enough with resting to try it. The video inspires me to actually get better at it though, since Jiggly is one of my secondaries. Cool beans.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
dammit phanna.

Im gunna need you to either stop breaking the game, or stop telling people you're breaking the game.

NOW I HAVE TO LOOK OUT FOR EDGE CANCELLING JIGGLYPUFFS.

:(

____

Seriously, that's nifty.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
o.o all my practicing edge canceling with ganondorf is gonna pay off! I start picking up Jigglypuff today. Thanks Phanna!

$hYne

Smash Ace
Germany, but i dont use this account anymore, my n
Nice stuff there phanna .
As i allready mentioned in the youtube comments edgecancelled rest is not new to the jigglypuff community , i saw stuff like that allready in some matches and i´m tryin to bring
in edgecanceled stuff more frequently .

But as King said this is not easy to pull of constantly and in the heat of a (tournament) match
you go saver with nairs or bairs , but discussing this isn´t the purpose of the thread, i know .

nevertheless awesome video and new stuff bring in .
Im looking forward to see ec rests in combo videos .

-shyne

edit : what i forgot to mention is that while fighting against real people not cpus there is also di , asdi and sdi to consider , it´s not that easy as it looks .

Sliq

Smash Master
I have been edge canceling aerials into other aerials, but I never thought about resting after it. Mad tricksies.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Hoo, just look at the reception this thing's getting. Finally, there can be a drive for another Jigglypuff combo video, with something new to showcase - I always did find it kinda sad that Mewtwo had more combo vids than Jigglypuff.

The King

Smash Ace
I'm working on another one right now... =)

But I have no ETA on it. But it's looking really cool so far.

King Out

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I'm planning on playing Jigglypuff at the Gigabits tournament a week from this Saturday. Between that and friendlies with my crew mates, I hope to release a combo video called "Phanna's Blue Resticle", for entertainment purposes, as always.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Dammit phanna, stop being so smart! Gah!

So... for actual discussion... what aerial do you think goes best with the phanna rest?

Top Bottom