• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*NEW* Official R.O.B. Boards Stage Discussion(Currently discussing Halberd) UPDATED!

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Halberd turns D-smash into a kill move, and Nair kills really early. Very good against people who don't kill up.

Oh yeah lasers go through the platform from the bottom.

And why not Halberd against Pits? I've tried it and it worked wonders for me.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
They can arrow camp under the stage much more easily than we can laser camp down there. Multiple jumps + faster projectile + large ROB = sad me.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Halberd helps our camp game tons, this is where I take falcos, mainly because we can plank and shoot lasers upward through the stage, His side B sucks at getting the ledge, leaving him doing it above the stage and landing on the platform for a U-smash.

To play this stage correctly you need to take the center section of the stage under the platform, fire your gyro to the side they're on and watch their amount of stage crumble. Then DO NOT leave from under the platform but throw F-tilts/Receding F-airs and they will have to move (often forcing them to move atop the platform) but don't get U-smash happy at low %, do alot of Utilts.

It also solves one of ROBs major problems, getting back to the stage. They can no longer put you on the ledge and camp just outside your F-air range and taunt and shiz. You can shark U-airs (ROBs most damaging move, I make an effort to land this attack, its a great way to rack up damage and not stale your KO moves). You can also do a rising sharked N-air/B-air past them and they can't really punish it.

The transformation where you can't shark is like an FD with a platform, but the stage interference typically helps ROB. Let the laser separate you and your opponent, it will create a barrier that most projectiles cant beat and laser will fire through, if you find yourself against a Falco/Pit in this situation just hang on the ledge.
When the bomb fires try to place a gyro where its going to explode, if you can predict the trajectory, it will launch the gyro horizontally (sliding) across the stage, hitboxes and all. I've used this to my advantage in some of the funniest situations.

If you find yourself at a disadvantage on this transformation then plank/stall until it changes back.

Don't take here:
Snake
Fox
MK
Chars that can kill upward easily

Take here:
DDD
Falco
lots of other characters.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Wow, is this better against Falco than Frigate? Since this is one of my favorite stages in the game and I didn't know Rob likes it... I just gotta try it on a smashfest that I have today xD

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well i was gonig to write something up, but we got an entire page of **** since i logged off like 1 hours ago lol. so ill jsut leave the stuff to sil, it apparently knows how to do this stage whereas i dont XP

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Yeah don't take Snake here. The second transformation is epic because of our camping game, especially against King Dedede. I don't have much experience on this stage but the ratio I give is 6,5/10.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
This stage is generally a great CP for a majority of the cast. IMO it's most effective against Marth, Kirby, Lucario, and Pikachu.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
This stage is generally a great CP for a majority of the cast. IMO it's most effective against Marth, Kirby, Lucario, and Pikachu.
marth yes, kirby sorta, lucario not really, pikachu...you new here?
pikachu lves low cielings.

also guys, one thing we might want to implement into older discussions, the ceilings on the 5 uk neutrals (bf, fd, yi, sv, lylat) are all the same height.
a.k.a all vertical moves kill at the same percentage
tester with ike u-tilt, kills mario at 101% on all 5 stages.
horizintally, fd is the largest, with ikes f-tilt killing at 89%
lylat and bf next, killing at 85%
yi and sv next at 79%

Heartstring

Smash Legend
hes going by the basis of 'lack of vertical k.o moves'
however kirby's stone is amazing and getting a shock kill on an offensive player going to deal more damage on an ariel kirby, also his upsmash is heavily underated, on halberd it kills at like 70% (no joke)
and with lucario, well he jsut has a lack of kill moves...

r.o.b, this is a good stage for all reasons explained by sil, but the small thing to note is that its very hard to keep a r.o.b alive on this stage because of his almost non-existent momentum cancelling, any character that has a slightly effect vertical kill will be having their way with you very fast in terms of killing. (fun facts: if a character uses fly(up-b) on you here on the platform during the middle transformation, you will die with zero DI, even at 0%)

sneakytako

Smash Lord
marth yes, kirby sorta, lucario not really, pikachu...you new here?
pikachu lves low cielings.
hes going by the basis of 'lack of vertical k.o moves'
)
I'm really not.

Halberd is a great CP against pika simply because Nair owns in this matchup. Just about every attack he has can either be beaten or punished with nair. Also Pikachu might love low ceilings, but I feel like they have trouble recovering on this stage.

Pika also doesn't have very good options in combating our sharking. This goes for Marth and Kirby too.

And why take lucario here? Small stage = Faster kill = less super powered lucarios. Rolling lucarios get owned by Dsmash, and that actually kills on this stage like I said before.

A lot of opponents will ban FD/RC on us, this is a great alternative to Frigate.

(fun facts: if a character uses fly(up-b) on you here on the platform during the middle transformation, you will die with zero DI, even at 0%)
This description sucks. What I think you're trying to say is that during the 'stage rising' transformation, ROB's Up-B will not have enough velocity to counter the relative stage movement, thus he will not rise, killing him at whatever %.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I'm really not.

Halberd is a great CP against pika simply because Nair owns in this matchup. Just about every attack he has can either be beaten or punished with nair. Also Pikachu might love low ceilings, but I feel like they have trouble recovering on this stage.

Pika also doesn't have very good options in combating our sharking. This goes for Marth and Kirby too.

And why take lucario here? Small stage = Faster kill = less super powered lucarios. Rolling lucarios get owned by Dsmash, and that actually kills on this stage like I said before.

A lot of opponents will ban FD/RC on us, this is a great alternative to Frigate.

This description sucks. What I think you're trying to say is that during the 'stage rising' transformation, ROB's Up-B will not have enough velocity to counter the relative stage movement, thus he will not rise, killing him at whatever %.
just, im sorry but no. we'll ignore the fact that pikachi can jsut spam us to death, he dosent even need to bother trying to compete with nair because he can run in a do something or other before we have time to do something else (nair does have a fair bit of cooldown, msot people seem to forget)
marht for sharking has that nice disjointed d-air with a higher priority than our up-air so spike us, may not kill us, but still a pretty valid option.
kirby i do agree a little though he has the minor fact that he can just hit our arms with the rock, although you have to be pretty predictable to get hit by it.

and as for lucario, his aura ability isnt dependent solely on his percentage, only the size of his aura ball is. everything else is dependent on his percentage and stock count in comparison to his opponent/opponents. so providing youre winning by a stock, hell still have high power even at 0%, not as much as higher yes percentage does effect it slightly, but less than every thinks. besides, you dont want to give him a stage which he can kill easy on, he likes stages where he dosent need to worry about edgehogging like halberd is, because he can go through teh bottm of the stage.

also ym description, its if you get hit by charizard while in teh midair bit on the platform, it outright kill you instantly

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Nice and fun facts, Golden-psyco. =P

I know one more character to take here: Ice Climbers.
When they do their infinitive chaingrab on you on the second stage transformation, the environment and background can disturb them with laser, the claw and the bomb. You can even outcamp them here thanks to the long stage.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Your idea is nice ccst, but IC can do their CG quick enough to be not bothered with that stuff and there are better stages like Cruise for that.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Your idea is nice ccst, but IC can do their CG quick enough to be not bothered with that stuff and there are better stages like Cruise for that.
you say this, but the old, old r.o.b character matchup description suggested taknig icies to fd, which is very similar to the latter section of halberd for the sole reason of them being forced to approach

its also why i think r.olb has a very good matchup on icies...
fire gyro into the middle of the stage, make youself be on the other side as the icies, spam lazers.
their ice blocks get eaten by the gyro, therefore they have to coem to you if the dont want to get owned by lasers, as son as the gyro stops spinning fire another uncharged one.
but thats for another day.

basically my felnigs on halberd are that it makes killing easier for everyone, but r.o.b is one of those that benefits more providing you can avoid getting star k.o'd
also spamming is easier as the slants will always stop the gyro from faling off the edge on teh middle part of teh stage

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well I love reflecting my Lazor from the slants in this stage, if you are lucky, you can get the coolest star KO in the game xD

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Lol no vids, I don't think I have done it, but with a super laser, if you reflect it from the stage, it goes upwards diagonally and the range of super laser allows it so reach the upper blastzone, making it possible, but not practical.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't agree, I would prefer stuff like FD. Since bringing MK here is a suicide.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I actually prefer FD to Halberd just because MK can't shark me. MK sharks better than ROB, so I'm not taking a shark here.

Lemme think of an analogy.
K.

I'm a pokemon trainer and I have a Remoraid and I'm against a Diglett. I'm all like "Lolol I'll take the battle to the sea and you can't get me because I'm pretending to be a shark and I put seltzer in my mouth!"

The trainer sends out a friggin Wailord.

"..."

"Well that didn't turn out how I planned..."

Hope that made sense.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
See MK can shark us, but we can shark him too. Although his dair is way better at combating sharking, I don't see sharking as too negative. More chances to U-air is win. Risk vs return, I'll take chances of sharking with the chance of being sharked over a stage with no sharking.

Edit: Sharking is when you go beneath the stages like Halberd/Delfino and move/attack through it. Kinda like a shark fin over the horizontal plane of the sea.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Attacking through the bottom of the stage. Basically attacking ROB's weak point even when he's on the ground. I guess it could be used for platforms too? I'm not 100% sure on that, but yea.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Sharking is the #1 reason you won't take MK to Halberd. Also, you cannot shark MK, he can dair you through the stage and suddenly you realize you ran out of fuel, it's just too risky.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I recommend taking Meta Knight to Castle Seige or Battlefield actually. Frigate Orpheon works too.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I feel like Frigate's ceiling is too high to kill MK D:.

Where IS the best place to take MK? FD?

Oh one more thing about halberd, there's this small bump near the sides of the stages on the second transformation similar to PS1. This sometimes messes with projectiles, most notably Snakes 'nades and IC blocks. Is there anything else janky there like CG/Locks?

Edit: On more last thing, against MK sharking a good option is just to retreat up and away, and after he lands on the stage grab the ledge and shark him. Sharking with Nair is pretty safe, it will at least guarantee that you'll land on the stage, but MK might punish your landing. In any case, you shouldn't be getting gimped for sharking MK.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Don't take Meta Knight to Final Destination. In my opinion, the best option should be Halberd because we cannot get stage spiked during almost the whole match. That said, we can go off stage safer. I'm not saying to try to gimp Meta Knight, but we can shark as someone said and also recover easier than usual. Furthermore, the high ceiling and the platform help us a lot to kill with Usmash, since it is a good KO move with a better knock back than Fsmash.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Yeah, but the IC's get pressure, which is great.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
this is the 7th stage in the discussion.
i would say this is the best stage to take mk to, shortly followed by pokemon stadium
we may not be able to shark, but it will be very predictable when he doesand having a random gyro sitting next to you stops mis-spaced sharking with a semi-spike (yes, gyro semi spikes when its on the floor, who knew?)

Top Bottom