• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I might go to Evo. Sonic with items on=****.

Seriously though, **** Evo.

Erich and Kash weren't entertained by practicing in Melee because one of them had a character where you didn't have anything to practice (Marf combos are easy mode, unless you're going for M2K style stuff. Is why Yang>>>Every Marf evar, mmhmm), and the other didn't really practice.

Brawl is just kinda shallow, period, though. Is like a really really pretty janken, mmhmm.

EDIT: Alpha and Sinz were the only "technical" NM smashers. I always have trouble remembering GoldenGlove, though, so he mighta been, too. By technical, I mean CF 0-death combos, and Falco random junk. They had stuff to practice, so they didn't get bored as easily. Marth is just fair>fair or fair>uair, or utilt>cg, for the most part. Not too much to practice, even with great DI. Doc had some sick combos, but Kash didn't practice them, so of course he'd get bored. Then again, not everyone likes practicing combos/inventing new ones. That's why some people love Brawl, while others hate it. Takes away all the work from competitive fighters.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
lol

Anyways, SSE is boring after the first playthrough, Stage Creator sucks, and the online lags too much.

In conclusion, Brawl is boring.

Edit: Evo sucks too. Their ruleset for Brawl, as others stated, is a joke. So much for going to Evo this year.

Yep, pretty much.

You're probably right Tony. The only thing I disagree with in your post is Yang>>>>>>>>>every Marth except Erich's.;) My Marth wasn't all that technical true enough, but my Falco was pretty decent. Still, not as technical as Paul or Everett.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Guys, help me explain things to evo I have already writtne three pages to them. We need video proof of Items hurting the games we are playing. So this saturday at Davis's smashfest we will be using some of their rules. Mostly the items. We need to record and upload them. Please, I don't want Evo to make Sonic Top Tier.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Mario kart Wii is awesome haha. I've had it for a couple weeks now.

EVO has items on!? What kind of crap is that. Oh well there is a good argument for why items should be on (controlling the stage, etc.) but the larger majority (including myself) think its crap

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I might go to Evo. Sonic with items on=****.

Seriously though, **** Evo.

Erich and Kash weren't entertained by practicing in Melee because one of them had a character where you didn't have anything to practice (Marf combos are easy mode, unless you're going for M2K style stuff. Is why Yang>>>Every Marf evar, mmhmm), and the other didn't really practice.

Brawl is just kinda shallow, period, though. Is like a really really pretty janken, mmhmm.

EDIT: Alpha and Sinz were the only "technical" NM smashers. I always have trouble remembering GoldenGlove, though, so he mighta been, too. By technical, I mean CF 0-death combos, and Falco random junk. They had stuff to practice, so they didn't get bored as easily. Marth is just fair>fair or fair>uair, or utilt>cg, for the most part. Not too much to practice, even with great DI. Doc had some sick combos, but Kash didn't practice them, so of course he'd get bored. Then again, not everyone likes practicing combos/inventing new ones. That's why some people love Brawl, while others hate it. Takes away all the work from competitive fighters.
See, this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. You're just being a **** now. You act like you know me and everything I do. Don't be so condescending.

And Neil was the most technical NM smasher, in my opinion.

Guys, help me explain things to evo I have already writtne three pages to them. We need video proof of Items hurting the games we are playing. So this saturday at Davis's smashfest we will be using some of their rules. Mostly the items. We need to record and upload them. Please, I don't want Evo to make Sonic Top Tier.
I don't really care, but if you want to, I don't mind.

Mario kart Wii is awesome haha. I've had it for a couple weeks now.

EVO has items on!? What kind of crap is that. Oh well there is a good argument for why items should be on (controlling the stage, etc.) but the larger majority (including myself) think its crap
I want to get it, but not before I beat the other 27 games I own that I haven't beaten (not including computer games).

Items have less of an argument than they did in Melee. In Melee I was neutral on the whole debate, but in Brawl items are way overpowered.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Wait... Neil was who I was thinking of. Or was he? Whoever got waveshine>jab>waveshine'd by Ferdi.

Not being condescending, Kash. You didn't really need to practice technicals in NM. Aside from your top 4, who was even worth bothering against? You didn't go OOS, so you didn't need to practice.

Sinz, Glide Toss with Sonic a LOT at the smashfest. Get the fan, the beamsword, pokeballs. Essentially, with Sonic using items, you need to grab items and throw them before the opponent can get them. Let them get smash hammers, so you can gimp them REALLY easily. Also, wait for them to hit the FS once (unless they're Ike, far away from it, and you're next to it), then just fair it once. GG, mangz.

EDIT: I'm not saying anyone below top 4 in NM was garbage. I AM saying that they had little to no technicals, and, as such, technicals weren't necessary to win.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Yep, pretty much.

You're probably right Tony. The only thing I disagree with in your post is Yang>>>>>>>>>every Marth except Erich's.;) My Marth wasn't all that technical true enough, but my Falco was pretty decent. Still, not as technical as Paul or Everett.
Yang beat Ken's a.k.a. sephirothken's Marth. I don't know how he did against M2K if he even played him.

Explain how sonic becomes top tier plz.

Wait... Neil was who I was thinking of. Or was he? Whoever got waveshine>jab>waveshine'd by Ferdi.

Not being condescending, Kash. You didn't really need to practice technicals in NM. Aside from your top 4, who was even worth bothering against? You didn't go OOS, so you didn't need to practice.

Sinz, Glide Toss with Sonic a LOT at the smashfest. Get the fan, the beamsword, pokeballs. Essentially, with Sonic using items, you need to grab items and throw them before the opponent can get them. Let them get smash hammers, so you can gimp them REALLY easily. Also, wait for them to hit the FS once (unless they're Ike, far away from it, and you're next to it), then just fair it once. GG, mangz.

EDIT: I'm not saying anyone below top 4 in NM was garbage. I AM saying that they had little to no technicals, and, as such, technicals weren't necessary to win.
Alphabravo(Paul) was the one I shinejab'd. Neil is sliraobe god, and IMO has the best TECHNICALS(in NM).

Tony, items doesn't make sonic THAT much better. And anyone with half a brain would wait until their opponent hits the smash ball first to start attacking it themselves.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Sonic just runs around does an occasional hit and gets a smashball. And Glide tosses tons too. Its sad.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Ok, what items and on what frequency?

Ferdi edit: If I lag i'll stop playing(i've been getting really bad lag past few days like 1 second PICTURE lag instead of movement, so we'll see.)

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Banana Peel, Unira, Spring, Mr. Saturn, Green Shell, Smoke Ball, Freezie, Super Scope, Sandbag, Food, Screw Attack, Warp Star, Metal Box, Bunny Hood, Beam Sword, Baseball Bat, Lip's Stick, Star Rod, Hothead, Smash Ball, Ray Gun, Pitfall, Cracker Launcher, Motion-Sensor Bomb, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Bumper, Franklin Badge.

medium

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
Sounds good, but don't expect me to ONLY play with those trash rules. I actually want to enjoy playing the game with REAL rules. Basically, those rules are for noobs and whiners complaining that chaingrabbing is too cheap.

Also, am I the only one here who doesn't like Mario Kart?
Yes...wait...HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE MARIO KART!?!?!?!?!

Don't you dare say F-Zero is better, because it isn't.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Ferdi, you see what I mean? It is retarted how good Sonic is, and I don't even play him at all.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
What? You lost most of the matches. And the items give me advantages too, you see all those **** I can pull as well with everyone BUT Sonic? All the items give every character an advantage, the only difference is his FS(which with proper spacing and timing i could even STEAL from you). It's guaranteed one stock for Super Sonic, but I made it so that thats the max you can get from me in one smash ball, not very hard to dodge if you know what you're doing(Lag though). The only real challenge was that I've never played with items since I went competitive, I started winning more as we played on since we'll eventually learn how to get around Sonic.

The point is, ban items, a bad character like Sonic doesn't become super good tier even with items. Another massive point, ban Snake, with/without items he's invincible.

Ferdi edit: What's that boost throw ****?

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I don't like items. I would hate to be screwed out 5k because someone picked sonic and got the smashball.

Also, am I the only one here who doesn't like Mario Kart?

PS: SSE, Stage Builder, and online all SUCK.
Dude, Mario Kart is ownage... though I haven't actually played it. I think I'm going to go play Super Mario Kart for the SNES ^_^

Are you ****ing kidding me? Okay, tell me seriously. Do you honestly think the Sub Space Emissary, a full length game in and of itself combining the all stars of Nintendo's past into one action packed, RPG/Platforming/Fighting adventure, sucks. Do you honestly think that Stage Builder, while limited, a mode that lets your imagination run wild and gives you an infinite possible of stages beyond the 42 or 41 (can't remember) given to you, sucks? Do you honestly think, albeit impractical and unwieldly, a system that allows you play whoever you want across the nation sucks?

Either you don't have appreciation for the game, its concepts, and its creators or you're entirely ignorant.

They might be useless or impractical, more specifically with the competitive gamer in mind, but they are far from "suck"

Ferdi, you see what I mean? It is retarted how good Sonic is, and I don't even play him at all.
No, it isn't because retarted isn't a word.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
The thing is Sonic is much better with Items. Tony will probably show you this much more than I can. Overal, Items create too much bs.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Are you ****ing kidding me? Okay, tell me seriously. Do you honestly think the Sub Space Emissary, a full length game in and of itself combining the all stars of Nintendo's past into one action packed, RPG/Platforming/Fighting adventure, sucks. Do you honestly think that Stage Builder, while limited, a mode that lets your imagination run wild and gives you an infinite possible of stages beyond the 42 or 41 (can't remember) given to you, sucks? Do you honestly think, albeit impractical and unwieldly, a system that allows you play whoever you want across the nation sucks?

Either you don't have appreciation for the game, its concepts, and its creators or you're entirely ignorant.

They might be useless or impractical, more specifically with the competitive gamer in mind, but they are far from "suck"
SSE WAS a waste of time and disk space, it's doing the exact same thing over and over for 7 hours, I played it once to unlock all the characters so I can get into the fun ****ing part of the game, competitive multiplayer. Never even went into solo again.

Stage builder, I would rather play the 41 given to me than make custom stages which won't even be accepted by the competitive community.

Online sucks, if it was lagless then I would seriously praise them, I'd like the game as much as melee if their online was good. Voice chat, Halo3/CoD4 type online. I'd rather pay money each month than have this ****ty free online.

I don't have any appreciation for the game, because it's competitive aspect sucks.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
What? You lost most of the matches. And the items give me advantages too, you see all those **** I can pull as well with everyone BUT Sonic? All the items give every character an advantage, the only difference is his FS(which with proper spacing and timing i could even STEAL from you). It's guaranteed one stock for Super Sonic, but I made it so that thats the max you can get from me in one smash ball, not very hard to dodge if you know what you're doing(Lag though). The only real challenge was that I've never played with items since I went competitive, I started winning more as we played on since we'll eventually learn how to get around Sonic.

The point is, ban items, a bad character like Sonic doesn't become super good tier even with items. Another massive point, ban Snake, with/without items he's invincible.

Ferdi edit: What's that boost throw ****?
Ferdi, couple things to keep in mind:

1) Sinz has ZERO knowledge of how to play Sonic.
2) Sonic is garbage on WFC. I'll play Ganon before I play Sonic on WFC.
3) Snake=**** on WFC
4) Sonic can dashdance on you with his FS, you can't dodge it if the Sonic knows what they're doing.
5) Sonic can grab **** near any item before you will.
6) You still lost to Sinz Sonic. A guy that doesn't even play Sonic, and you lost to him, on WFC to boot.
7) Sinz doesn't play with items either.

Seriously, Ferdi, Sonic is dumb with items on. Don't try to debate it, he goes from being low-mid to high tier, no sweat. Considering you don't even boost throw (glide toss, but whatever), and your only experience currently is against a guy that doesn't play Sonic, on WFC, I dun really think you should be debating this. The final score for your matches was like... 4-9, your favour. Not good times for one of CO's best players, especially given how well you'd do otherwise.

Ban items, for real. Also, if you win NVGA and AZOneTwo, we're banning Snake. Even if Lucas can beat him.

!zzy Edit: I agree with the post above me.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
SSE sounded good on paper, but bad in execution. Really it was just the same thing over and over for 7 hours. The cutscenes were awesome, but they don't justify repeditive gameplay and long load times.

Stage Builder suffers from lack of options. Only one object had ledges, you cou;dn't rotate the parts, and anything that has walls are bad due to infintes. It can be fun at times, but it's really borng afterwards.

Online was a nice addtition, but it sucks. No voice chat, super laggy, and lack of options make it suck. I only play online if I'm really really bored.

I appreciate the thought in the features that they put in the game, but the execution was very bad and could have been alot better.

Also I do think that F-Zero is better than Mario Kart. Mainly because F-Zero is super fast. After playing F-Zero then playing Mario Kart, I went back to F-Zero due to how painfully slow Mario Kart was.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Why did you put that 3rd point tony? Snake is broken online and offline.
QFT

Also I do think that F-Zero is better than Mario Kart. Mainly because F-Zero is super fast. After playing F-Zero then playing Mario Kart, I went back to F-Zero due to how painfully slow Mario Kart was.
I've always wanted to get into F-Zero. D:

...Ok dude, if you play F-Zero, ANY game is slow afterwards. That goes for every single freakin' racing game ever made, AND all other games too. F-Zero>>>>>>>faster than anything, ever. Especially F-Zero GX. It's completely ridiculous. There are no words to describe the awesome feeling of racing at over 1000 MPH, or even over 2000 MPH. While Mario Kart is amazing, it will never measure up to F-Zero in terms of speed racing. I love both games though.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
F-Zero GX will rocket by at 2000 mph, grab you as it's passing, scrape your face along the road until there's literally nothing left, then kick you to the curb and leave you begging for more.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
As others said, SSE was only fun to me the first time around. Now, it's just plain boring and repetitive. All in all, it was a waste of disk space.

Stage creator was fun at first, but now there really is no point in building stages that I'll never play on competitively.

Believe me, I want to enjoy online as much as the next smasher; but the lag absolutely kills the experience for me. I can't stand going from playing silky smooth lag free matches on Xbox live and Mario Kart to the laggy matches of Brawl.

@ ZMan: I can understand why you like F-Zero more. It's a great game, but I like Mario Kart more because I'm better at it. I suck at F-Zero.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
...Ok dude, if you play F-Zero, ANY game is slow afterwards. That goes for every single freakin' racing game ever made, AND all other games too. F-Zero>>>>>>>faster than anything, ever. Especially F-Zero GX. It's completely ridiculous. There are no words to describe the awesome feeling of racing at over 1000 MPH, or even over 2000 MPH. While Mario Kart is amazing, it will never measure up to F-Zero in terms of speed racing. I love both games though.
Except Speed Racer, that is.
Speed Racer > F-Zero
That movie is amazing! However, don't think I'm saying that Speed > Falcon. Oh no.

SSE WAS a waste of time and disk space, it's doing the exact same thing over and over for 7 hours, I played it once to unlock all the characters so I can get into the fun ****ing part of the game, competitive multiplayer. Never even went into solo again.

Stage builder, I would rather play the 41 given to me than make custom stages which won't even be accepted by the competitive community.

Online sucks, if it was lagless then I would seriously praise them, I'd like the game as much as melee if their online was good. Voice chat, Halo3/CoD4 type online. I'd rather pay money each month than have this ****ty free online.

I don't have any appreciation for the game, because it's competitive aspect sucks.
SSE sounded good on paper, but bad in execution. Really it was just the same thing over and over for 7 hours. The cutscenes were awesome, but they don't justify repeditive gameplay and long load times.

Stage Builder suffers from lack of options. Only one object had ledges, you cou;dn't rotate the parts, and anything that has walls are bad due to infintes. It can be fun at times, but it's really borng afterwards.

Online was a nice addtition, but it sucks. No voice chat, super laggy, and lack of options make it suck. I only play online if I'm really really bored.

I appreciate the thought in the features that they put in the game, but the execution was very bad and could have been alot better.

As others said, SSE was only fun to me the first time around. Now, it's just plain boring and repetitive. All in all, it was a waste of disk space.

Stage creator was fun at first, but now there really is no point in building stages that I'll never play on competitively.

Believe me, I want to enjoy online as much as the next smasher; but the lag absolutely kills the experience for me. I can't stand going from playing silky smooth lag free matches on Xbox live and Mario Kart to the laggy matches of Brawl.

@ ZMan: I can understand why you like F-Zero more. It's a great game, but I like Mario Kart more because I'm better at it. I suck at F-Zero.
I think each and every one of you failed to understand my entire post.

You're all thinking in terms of competitive play! Of course you don't care about those features. The game wasn't made for the competitive scene, it was made as a user friendly, enjoyable, and replayable game for the majority. If it wasn't for these other elements, the game would suck.

Does Iron Man suck because it doesn't just have fighting? No, and even if you said so you'd be wrong. Why? I think $50 million box office says otherwise.

Just because the features aren't important to you (and I also mentioned their faults, yet you still felt the need to repeat them back to me), doesn't mean they suck. You may not like them, but that doesn't mean they aren't good.

There is a difference there.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Okay guys I am going to have a miniature Judge system like Davis since it worked out pretty well. I want a good amount of you guys.
Erich, Paul, Davis, Steven, and Neil.

Steven can we use your laptop for the events?

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
I think each and every one of you failed to understand my entire post.

You're all thinking in terms of competitive play! Of course you don't care about those features. The game wasn't made for the competitive scene, it was made as a user friendly, enjoyable, and replayable game for the majority. If it wasn't for these other elements, the game would suck.

Does Iron Man suck because it doesn't just have fighting? No, and even if you said so you'd be wrong. Why? I think $50 million box office says otherwise.

Just because the features aren't important to you (and I also mentioned their faults, yet you still felt the need to repeat them back to me), doesn't mean they suck. You may not like them, but that doesn't mean they aren't good.

There is a difference there.
So then what's the point of trying to make it seem like any other portion of brawl is better from a competitive point of view? I mean of course no one competitive will care about any of those features except online, and you have to admit unless you play someone close to you there will ALWAYS be small/giant delay lag, so then what's the point of having it at all if it sucks so much and the only people you play without lag are the ones you play with offline anyways? There is none. Do YOU constantly go back to SSE? Do YOU keep making stages and play on them? Does YOUR online lag against 99.9% of the people you play?

If you're trying to tell someone that those features are good go tell a casual.

Hmmm...I think that was his point Ferdi.

Yea, Steven basicaly summed up how F-Zero is...It was a pretty good way of looking at it. It's also insanely hard. The difficulty level at its highest is absolutely thee most ludicrous thing ever witnessed, invented, or tried. Believe me, if you haven't tried F-Zero GX on the highest difficulty level of the story or the Grand Prix, it's completely mind-boggling how hard the creators made the game. Either you're like me and enjoy a truly difficult challenge, or you will feel immense frustration weighing you down with the impossibility of your task.

So I guess I am going to be a judge at the Supercon? I should be able to, although I'm not sure if I want to, being a camera-man and a tournament participant already. Plus I might have other stuff going on. I don't think I do though...we'll see. Oh crap...I just realized something. I'll have to get back to you all on whether or not I can make it to the Supercon now!

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
I main everyone.

Seriously, some games can be incredibly frustrating. Ex Halo on legendary (by yourself), Gears of War on intense (by yourself), Ninja Gaiden, R6V on Realistic, and F-Zero (as all of you stated).

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
I main everyone.

Seriously, some games can be incredibly frustrating. Ex Halo on legendary (by yourself), Gears of War on intense (by yourself), Ninja Gaiden, R6V on Realistic, and F-Zero (as all of you stated).
Yeah, but then there's the opposite end of the spectrum, the games that totally aren't frustrating at all. Games like Mario Strikers Charged, Ridge Racer on the PSP, and Golden Sun.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Golden Sun is an amazing game. I need to find my copy.

Top Bottom