• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*NEW* matchup discussion week #6: Wario!

Vlade

Social Outcast
Falco shouldn't really take Wario to Battlefield, he's better off just going for Smashville.

I feel equally meh about taking Wario to CS. The first transformation is fine for Wario, and whenever you really get into the third transformation no one should really be talking about chaingrabs, the timing just doesn't really fit. The first transformation can be played rather aggro, and Falco cannot really camp the way he usually does there, I find him to be in a definite disadvantage there. The second transformation doesn't really add anything to anyone's game for reason the reader can think of by himself. As I said: the third transformation will probably be played at higher percentages, the fact that it's usually a slope is more of a con to Falco than it is to Wario.

TL;DR: The only reason you'd pick the third transformation is rendered null and void because of the practical percentages you'll be running around with at that time.
I actually think that the first transformation of CS can be used effectively by falco. Just standing underneath the left platform doing SHDL is quite difficult to get around because wario can't approach from above really.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
On the flip side, what if both players have lost a stock by the time the third transformation comes around/both players have 100+ damage? That would ruin Wario's chance to CG essentially. Basically the whole stage, in one way or another, doesn't want Wario to CG Falco here lol. First part, Falco stands on the slant or on a platform. Second part on any of the slanted platforms, Dthrowing next to a statue throws off the timing slightly as you hit it. Third part if you are on the elevated part it's a no go, and the tilting of the stage can stop it or throw it off. Then you have the problem when the stage is flat and is going to another part as it can easily mess you up if you cannot time it well (which can be a problem since if you have to wait for a second, Falco can use that time to mash out). As for the overall layout of the stage, as Vlade mentioned on the left side it's pretty annoying trying to approach Falco there. It's not hard to run away from him there, but when you need to approach yeah it is.

Vlade

Social Outcast
CG on Falco is overrated. Approaching Falco is overrated, too.
I don't recall anyone 'rating' wario's chaingrab, nor his approach option. We've merely been discussing them because they are aspects of the matchup that need to be taken into consideration.

Typ_ex what's your view on castle siege? I probably wouldn't CP it either (I usually go battlefield) but after reading what DMG had to say I'm willing to give it a try.

Variable

Smash Ace
I don't recall anyone 'rating' wario's chaingrab, nor his approach option. We've merely been discussing them because they are aspects of the matchup that need to be taken into consideration.

Typ_ex what's your view on castle siege? I probably wouldn't CP it either (I usually go battlefield) but after reading what DMG had to say I'm willing to give it a try.

I think I wouldn't do too bad on Castle Siege. I probably wouldn't CP it obviously, due to better choices, but it doesn't put you at a dis-advantage. I'd much rather play Wario on Battle Field, or Smashville.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
i like that every body has about their recent battles against the current match-up character of the week
its good that everyone gives their opinion so every other falco main can learn from the others and the other can learn from them. every loss is a lesson learned to gain experience for your next lesson i also go by "Whatever can be predicted can be punished" so its good to find or figure out ur opponent then punish thats why ally is so good he knows playing styles not match-ups he knows how the game is going to end before the last stock if ally knew match-ups he would be alot better then M2K just wanted to get this out to all my fellow falco mains. And now about wario 60-40 falco just try to use techs to CG him they think that getting hit by the lasers is a good way to not get CGed i say just go for it no other attcks but play smart and lead the wario to getting grabbed then mix up the game play, then last stock go for all the whits be unpredictable be flashy only to fool the wario i three my friends wario alot and the bike just a stage to meteor spike them ur fair(if used right) is a big set back recovery for wario especially after he bikes to recover i love to gimp or spike him. every wario will go for a fart after their first stock or yours or they will use it sooner then you think so at your last stock he has a better way and chance of killing you early.another thing warios lov to approach in the air so nair is ur bestfriend and SHL,SHDL.thats all i got from wario so wat else can i learn from you guys?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
It was meant to be a subtle hint regarding DMG's statements on the third transformation. He was of opinion that it would change the situation regarding chaingrabs, air releases and approaching. Since there is really no need for neither Wario nor Falco to approach there (whether they are up or down the slope), the transformation should (and probably will) be camped out. So yeah, those aspects of the matchup could be taken into consideration, but shouldn't be overcentralized they way they were (as in: they are noteworthy, but shouldn't really be regarded as important considering the nature of the transformation).

M@v

Subarashii!
Well, I beat a Wario at MLG. More on it later, but you pretty much just have to play extra smart, and give yourself plenty of breathing room. He's annoying on norfair; his floatiness and great aerial mobility can be bad news. You just have to keep a decent distance between you and him. Just enough to allow you to jump on his mistakes, and for you to not get punished. If you can, learn the waft timing so you can predict it. Helps immensely. This is probably a 50-50 MU.

Last but not least, watch out for his cg that starts around 52%. Im not sure, but cant he only start it around that percentage?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
No he can start it even past 52%. If you want the full CG, you have to start under like, 85? % or so. You can still CG people after 90 IIRC, but you get like 1-2 regrabs so instead of 120+ damage, you get him to like 100-105+

Top Bottom