• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The rankings for the poll are as follows

1. Min Min (59)
  2. Combination (34)
  3. Spring Man (19)
  4. Twintelle and Dr. Coyle (13 each)
  5. Ribbon Girl (6)
  6. Max Brass (4)
  7. Mechanica (2)
  8. Ninjara, Byte & Barq and Other (1 each)
Surprising to see Ribbon Girl so far down

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Having more free time on hand has gotten me back into both Splatoon 2 and Arms regularly, both are such fun games and in my experience have some of the more reliable Switch online play. I really hope Min Min is in for the win win! (but I won't say no to a combination fighter either)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

zferolie

Smash Hero
Still beats the Shantae thread going into no-spoilers mode after Seven Sirens was finally confirmed to get a release date, but the full version is already out on mobile, so topics are about anything but Shantae again. Thanks, Apple.

On the bright side, the chances of "I told you sos" occurring will make it all the sweeter, so it's worth putting up with the naysayers sometimes. Imagine being in my shoes when I insisted that we wouldn't necessarily get one season of DLC.
Ah yes lol. So far i havent seen any spoilers, othen then a rhumbnail showing some bosses bit non were surprising. I have to say though DAMN Risky is looking amazing.

"IGN will be hosting the latest gaming convention" is not a sentence I actually expected to type at all.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...al_event_an_e3_replacement_starting_this_june
I know IGN gets flack but i still like hearing some of their reviews and stuff. I dont nearly follow them as much as before. Still, this sounds like a good idea

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm also of the mind that Nintendo was way ahead of the curve anyways with digital events. As someone who has practically treated E3 like a holiday since the 2000's, people really haven't enjoyed the event in a long time. Long lines, super crowded, presentations that are usually boring or cringe worthy in person, etc. Doesn't help that E3 ****ed up in a legendary way last year by accidentally making private info of most of the attendees public. Conventions definitely have a purpose and are important to communities so if most people and presenters are straight up not enjoying it anymore, something needs to radically change. As someone who works with the team that puts on comic, anime, and horror conventions in my area, you have to have that foundation of people enthusiastic about the IRL event and E3 honestly hasn't had that in like a solid decade.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm also of the mind that Nintendo was way ahead of the curve anyways with digital events. As someone who has practically treated E3 like a holiday since the 2000's, people really haven't enjoyed the event in a long time. Long lines, super crowded, presentations that are usually boring or cringe worthy in person, etc. Doesn't help that E3 ****ed up in a legendary way last year by accidentally making private info of most of the attendees public. Conventions definitely have a purpose and are important to communities so if most people and presenters are straight up not enjoying it anymore, something needs to radically change. As someone who works with the team that puts on comic, anime, and horror conventions in my area, you have to have that foundation of people enthusiastic about the IRL event and E3 honestly hasn't had that in like a solid decade.
Yeah, lately I've also been thinking that Nintendo has been innovative in this area all along, ahead of their time with Directs to the point that it actually works in the event of a contingency.

Also, the Western side of E3 last year was largely disposable anyway, so IGN hosting its replacement is at least a start.

On the flip side, companies like Limited Run Games will have a harder time distributing any souvenirs and stuff.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
On the flip side, companies like Limited Run Games will have a harder time distributing any souvenirs and stuff.
I mean, for 2020, they'd likely have trouble even if E3 wasn't cancelled because no one would go outside for as long as the pandemic lasts.

But yeah, every year after that (assuming it's gone by then) would be a nightmare if E3 is done for good.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This will probably be better than E3. I have more faith in IGN than ESA. Really, IGN is the only major game site out there that talks about, well, games.
At least after Game of Thrones ended. :p

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This will probably be better than E3. I have more faith in IGN than ESA. Really, IGN is the only major game site out there that talks about, well, games.
sure whatever game that had bought advertisement space on their site

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, the Street Fighter characters actually get special KO backgrounds when they finish opponents with their Final Smashes. Any chance the ARMS fighter will get the yellow when they finish with a rush?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm just happy ARMS is coming because I feel like the series has a lot of potential. The gameplay for the first game was weak but, good lord, the character designs are probably overall best for a Nintendo series since Wario Ware, the music is incredible, and the lore is fun without taking itself too seriously. It's a series that had a lot of undercooked ideas for the first game so it deserves another try and I think Smash all but guarantees that. Another thing that's great about ARMS is that its developers very obviously cared about it and treated it like a passion project, even if not everything worked out. This all said, I feel like it deserves to be recognized and join the ranks of Smash.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
I'm just happy ARMS is coming because I feel like the series has a lot of potential. The gameplay for the first game was weak but, good lord, the character designs are probably overall best for a Nintendo series since Wario Ware, the music is incredible, and the lore is fun without taking itself too seriously. It's a series that had a lot of undercooked ideas for the first game so it deserves another try and I think Smash all but guarantees that. Another thing that's great about ARMS is that its developers very obviously cared about it and treated it like a passion project, even if not everything worked out. This all said, I feel like it deserves to be recognized and join the ranks of Smash.
The gameplay wasnt weak? Its pretty much the only arena fighter in existence to actually have any kind of serious depth, all of the gameplay systems feed into one another nicely, and there are even gameplay aspects that completely outshine Smash. Shields for example are still an utter mess in Smash, whereas ARMS somehow got them right on its first try.

ARMS' goal was to set a core gameplay foundation. Thats the job of every first entry in a fighting IP. And it succeeded completely.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
bit harsh on splatoon
To be fair, and this comes from someone who loves both franchises, Splatoon does have a lot of designs, but if you're not a cephalopod, you're barely expanded upon. And there's not a lot of personalities outside of the main characters.

That's not nearly as good as what ARMS or WarioWare bring to the table. Still good, just not as good as those.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
ARMS has a lot of potential and I hope that it reaches said potential thanks to the Smash promotion. It's a series that really needs a second chance to improve and gather a larger audience

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What exactly did not work out for ARMS? All the free, pre-planned DLC was released on schedule? If it's on some level a failure just for not meeting the insane numbers of Mario, Pokemon or Splatoon, then I guess a lot of Zelda games are disappointments.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What exactly did not work out for ARMS? All the free, pre-planned DLC was released on schedule? If it's on some level a failure just for not meeting the insane numbers of Mario, Pokemon or Splatoon, then I guess a lot of Zelda games are disappointments.
Did I say it was a failure? A lot of complaints about the game are about the gameplay and I agree. That's literally it. My opinion is hardly unique:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/arms

General consensus was that the game was a C+/B - which is perfectly fine for a first outing. Not everything has to be a 10/10 or a 9/10 to be "good."

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sharing another video that I think deserves some more views.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm just happy that people even compare ARMS' design quality to Warioware to start with, that's a really good compliment. :ultwario:

It was basically "Virtual-On, but with Ultra Hands instead of guns". Decent, but not exactly the most innovative thing compared to Splatoon's creative ink mechanics. And for a company known for innovation like Nintendo, that's not helpful if your title isn't already a household name.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If one of the 15 characters or a new character for a sequel gets in, where would he/she be placed on the Smash Ultimate poster?

Brazillian Cara

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but if they decide to incorporate multiple types of arms into a single character's moveset, Mechanica could be one of the most sensible choices, what with the possibility of doing some tweaks to her mech. On the other hand, it would be a bit weird to have Arms represented by the only regular human in the cast.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So I think the ARMS fighter will have a thing like K. Rool's belly armor. The fighter has the longest range but if their arms receive enough damage they'll break and put the fighter in a stunned state.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
I'm just happy that people even compare ARMS' design quality to Warioware to start with, that's a really good compliment. :ultwario:

It was basically "Virtual-On, but with Ultra Hands instead of guns". Decent, but not exactly the most innovative thing compared to Splatoon's creative ink mechanics. And for a company known for innovation like Nintendo, that's not helpful if your title isn't already a household name.
ARMS actually makes an effort to take the arena fighter in a new direction, while actually refining it into something at least worthy of competitive play. Also all of its mechanics revolving around the arms are incredibly original. Theres really nothing like it. Its definitely equal to "call of duty but with paint" splatoon in terms of creativity.
Splatoon simply occupies a more popular genre. A fighting game will never EVER outshine a team based shooter.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, and this comes from someone who loves both franchises, Splatoon does have a lot of designs, but if you're not a cephalopod, you're barely expanded upon. And there's not a lot of personalities outside of the main characters.

That's not nearly as good as what ARMS or WarioWare bring to the table. Still good, just not as good as those.
thats more of a problem with quantity rather than quality.

also who in arms outside of the main characters is that fleshed out?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Well Dr Coyle's ending does hint that she and Max Brass used to be at least friends before there was a nasty falling out and she went mad with power from her artificial ARMS. And got contacts.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Not a lot, but at least it's somewhat consistent because the only characters with a considerable amount of fleshing out are people connected to either ARMS League (Max Brass) or ARMS Labs (Coyle, Hedlok, Helix, Springtron).

Even the boxart mascots barely have anything. The most we have is that Spring Man isn't the first fighter with that name, and even then, that comes from what little we've seen of the graphic novel rather than the game itself.

That's the big reason why I personally feel that Dr. Coyle is the true "main" character in ARMS. And besides, not every main character is a hero.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
theyre both main characters arent they?
Depends on your definition of main characters.

In the case of "who would have more than three lines in a movie adaptation" Coyle and Max would both qualify as main characters. In the case of "who's on the boxart" that would be only Spring Man and Ribbon Girl.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but if they decide to incorporate multiple types of arms into a single character's moveset, Mechanica could be one of the most sensible choices, what with the possibility of doing some tweaks to her mech. On the other hand, it would be a bit weird to have Arms represented by the only regular human in the cast.
Yet the tournament still allows her mech and another who doesn't even use literal arms but her hair (Twintelle). In the world of ARMS, I don't think it matters if the arms in question are real arms long as they can reach and punch you.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yet the tournament still allows her mech and another who doesn't even use arms at all but her hair (Twintelle). In the world of ARMS, apparently it doesn't matter what you use long as it's dual wieldable and can reach.
Yeah, but you have to think about people who might have somehow never heard of ARMS.

If the first ARMS character they see is Mechanica in Smash, they'd get the idea that ARMS is a mech fighting game, which is not the case at all.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not a lot, but at least it's somewhat consistent because the only characters with a considerable amount of fleshing out are people connected to either ARMS League (Max Brass) or ARMS Labs (Coyle, Hedlok, Helix, Springtron).

Even the boxart mascots barely have anything. The most we have is that Spring Man isn't the first fighter with that name, and even then, that comes from what little we've seen of the graphic novel rather than the game itself.

That's the big reason why I personally feel that Dr. Coyle is the true "main" character in ARMS. And besides, not every main character is a hero.
OK, but that's kind of like saying M. Bison (Dictator) or Shao Kahn are the main characters of their games, simply for driving the plots as antagonists tend to do.

The main characters of fighting games, especially those that involve martial arts fighting tournaments, rarely go beyond "loves fighting" or "striving to be a master", no matter how much backstory they get. In the early days of fighting games, you had to go out of your way to even learn there was a plot beyond the tournament du jour.

There is one character that is implied to be more significant than he lets on, though. Kid Cobra is the only known person in the current age to have had ARMS since birth, yet he vehemently refuses to talk about himself or even his family to anyone who asks, nor will he ever remove his mask/helmet. Doesn't help that even his body seems o be somewhat unnaturally shaped...

Yet the tournament still allows her mech and another who doesn't even use literal arms but her hair (Twintelle). In the world of ARMS, I don't think it matters if the arms in question are real arms long as they can reach and punch you.
There's an entire subclass created for fighters that don't really use the ARMS phenomenon as it's described, called "second generation". Mechanica, Byte & Barq, Helix and possibly Coyle due to the artificial nature of her ARMS fit in this.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Yeah, but you have to think about people who might have somehow never heard of ARMS.

If the first ARMS character they see is Mechanica in Smash, they'd get the idea that ARMS is a mech fighting game, which is not the case at all.
But isn't that why Sakurai explains each fighter's game of origin and movesets for an hour to give us the gist of things. A lot of people do watch his streams so he can just drop "No, it's not a robot fighting game."

Last edited:
Top Bottom