• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New grab trick on DDD (and possibly others?)

ADHD

Smash Hero
So we all know metaknight and pikachu's grab > nair combo at the edge on king DDD, it works for diddy but he has other options since his nair is just pretty **** awful.

So how do you do this? If DDD is directly near the ledge in standing position, do a dashing grab and immediately grab jab. What happens is you are both sent below the ledge and you are free to attack him. You have these options when this occurs: Barrel spike, dair, bair, nair, or fair. Dair, bair, nair, barrel spike depends on their DI, but it will generally hit them the first time before they catch on. Fair is the best, because of it's range in this situation DDD can't escape it if you grab him with the correct spacing over the ledge. This can be a good option for killing him since he lives to ****ing 160 every stock. Bair and nair are useful on stages like lylat cruise because it can send him under the stage and potentially stage spike him. This doesn't work so well on yoshis island though because of the weird ledges.

Now anyway, can MK or pikachu do this on other chars other than DDD? I heard they can, if so then diddy probably can too. I'm surprised this wasn't found yet, and if it was sorry. Nobody has talked about this.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I should delete this post.

Okay, maybe that's not the best way for me to declare this new mod status.

Hi, I'm your new tyrant.

What?

I miss you, Wyatt.

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
OMG le thien is a mod.

Edit: Cool find so you just grab DDD so that he is hanging off the edge and you jab him? then somehow you both fall off the stage?

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
LOL, Hylian recommended Vyse and I for the post, and this where we're at. For the record, I never really had any intention of being a moderator, so I expect Vyse to do all the heavy lifting for me. That is, until tool sheds like I Hate Potassium and MonkeyEater382 and DiDDySuXaLoT and other spam-happy sods start plaguing our forums again.

THEN I WILL GET TO PLAY

As far as ADHD's post goes, I didn't actually read it.

LOL

And Wyatt, I've decided not to put up those videos of me and Infinity, but that's because I'm back in Dallas for the rest of the week, and there's a giant Smash-fest going on with him and Dojo and Santi and the rest of the cool kids tonight. I will nab videos of some of those friendlies and get back to you guys very soon.

<3 Diddy Boards

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Wow cool find but if I understand correctly are you timing the dash grab to pummel so that you have left over momentum that carries you off the stage just as you hit them? I didnt really understand how you both end up both below the stage (Is it because you instant ground break your opponent or some other reason??)

ADHD

Smash Hero
Wow cool find but if I understand correctly are you timing the dash grab to pummel so that you have left over momentum that carries you off the stage just as you hit them? I didnt really understand how you both end up both below the stage (Is it because you instant ground break your opponent or some other reason??)
it's some grab glitch but yes you have to pummel them as soon as you see them caught in the grab for it to work.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Ok, and somehow you both end up of the stage :ohwell:
Sounds cool but Im gonna try to test this on other characters.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
ive seen this done randomly when i play always thought it was a fluke. whenever i dash grab we immedietly seperate underneath the stage lolz.

edit:

tested it against ddd and fair seems to work best without di o-o

ADHD

Smash Hero
ive seen this done randomly when i play always thought it was a fluke. whenever i dash grab we immedietly seperate underneath the stage lolz.

edit:

tested it against ddd and fair seems to work best without di o-o
even if they have a split second to DI it's not enough to escape it. what are the chances of them literally airdodging right as it happens if they don't know about this? I don't even know if they can airdodge the fair, i will test it tomorrow.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
LOL, Hylian recommended Vyse and I for the post, and this where we're at. For the record, I never really had any intention of being a moderator, so I expect Vyse to do all the heavy lifting for me. That is, until tool sheds like I Hate Potassium and MonkeyEater382 and DiDDySuXaLoT and other spam-happy sods start plaguing our forums again.
:mad::mad::mad:

I can't even do anything in here except give warnings and infractions.

Wait.

Maybe that's all I need :)

Also, awesome find. Last Dedede I faced in tournament was too much for my Diddy and I had to resort to gimping with Falco to get the win. Gimping Dedede is like insta win.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
:mad::mad::mad:

I can't even do anything in here except give warnings and infractions.

Wait.

Maybe that's all I need :)

Also, awesome find. Last Dedede I faced in tournament was too much for my Diddy and I had to resort to gimping with Falco to get the win. Gimping Dedede is like insta win.
That's because you mod the GBD and Tact. Thien mods diddy.

Try to avoid handing out infractions not in your room, though do so if nessasary :). Mods can report posts too ya know :).

Or just ask me lol.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
That's because you mod the GBD and Tact. Thien mods diddy.

Try to avoid handing out infractions not in your room, though do so if nessasary :). Mods can report posts too ya know :).

Or just ask me lol.
I know, thanks Hylian ;)

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So ADHD. How situational would you say it is? In a set, how many times do you think on average you would gimp a good DDD player? Should I rely on it too?

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
Ok im testing other characters right now , but here are things i have noticed: (ive only tested these on fd)
Footstool- leaves you at the ledge which if nothing is pushed you will grab, or insted you can cancel the sweet spot and continue to footstool the rest of his mid air jumps O_O XD.
If d3 is off the ledge when you dash grab him the exact same thing will happen. (really good if they are grabbed after useing a few midair jumps)
If they are not directly on the stage edge but their close (around distance when d3 is not hanging off from a normal grab) the glitch will cause you to stay onstage while they fall.

Side notes:
Both variations of the glitch can occur if they are grabbed after being hit by a banana. :D
When footstooling d3 their best option is to instantly use b up. If they dont the second footstool will put them out of b up recovery range. So it would be helpful to have a nana off the ledge a little. (<You should know why) A good way to set the bananas placement up would just grab ddd after glidetossing a banana and if your lucky banana will end up somewhere near the area where ddd will land.

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
Ok im testing other characters right now , but here are things i have noticed: (ive only tested these on fd)
Footstool- leaves you at the ledge which if nothing is pushed you will grab, or insted you can cancel the sweet spot and continue to footstool the rest of his mid air jumps O_O XD.
If d3 is off the ledge when you dash grab him the exact same thing will happen. (really good if they are grabbed after useing a few midair jumps)
If they are not directly on the stage edge but their close (around distance when d3 is not hanging off from a normal grab) the glitch will cause you to stay onstage while they fall.

Side notes:
Both variations of the glitch can occur if they are grabbed after being hit by a banana. :D
When footstooling d3 their best option is to instantly use b up. If they dont the second footstool will put them out of b up recovery range. So it would be helpful to have a nana off the ledge a little. (<You should know why) A good way to set the bananas placement up would just grab ddd after glidetossing a banana and if your lucky banana will end up somewhere near the area where ddd will land.
that is just a huge text of confusion

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I actually got it and the info helped. Since the glitch works when the opponent is offstage, I think technique became a lot less situational since getting the opponent right at the edge for a grab seems very difficult. Also if its possible on a tripped opponent, then its another option to use in conjuction with Diddys banana game. Seems a lot more useful after that update to me :)

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
Thanks im a diddy from a diffrent site (wiipals.net) so im not what you would be called a smash noob if you know what i mean lol. (funny thing is renegade is concidered a noob on my site XD)
I will edit and post a list of people you can and cant use it on: (tested on the right side of fd so this should not be concidered a universal list)
Can: DDD

Cant: Mario, DK, Link, Samus, ZSS, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Marth, G&W, Luigi, dk, Sheik, Zelda, Pit, Metaknight, Falco, Squritle, Ivysaur, Charzard, Ike, Snake, Peach, Yoshi, Ganondorf, Ice climbers, Wolf, Lucario,Ness, Sonic, Bowser, Wario, Toonlink, ROB, Olimar, Captian falcon, Jigglypuff, Lucas

Possible 1 hit ko O_O: ice climbers- well i grabbed popo, nana jumped off to save him, she used b up, then popo gets released, he uses b up he isnt even close to the ledge he dies XD (i wish it was allways this easy)

Well..... we still have nanas and this helps out a lot because a good D3 can be a problem.

Wow i just learned something else amazing it dosent even need to be a dash grab, all you have to do is grab and use your grab attack. (basicially hit grab twice)
Dash grab when opponent is near edge= both right next to each other while falling
Normal grab when opponent is near edge= you remain on stage while they fall (can open up for easy stage spikes, or you can just turn around and release two bananas then watch lol.

A lot of people can do this to D3 im going to post a thread in their forum if there isnt one already

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
Need a video or something. Hopefully it works well on ROB and Snake. Need a good method of KO'ing those tankweights.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
It could be a good way to mindgame a good DDD player.

Do the dair the first time. Then if you do it a second time footstool them after they airdodge your dair that you're not going to do. He'll be forced to do his b up strait up and then you can edgehog him. If you grab the ledge at the right time he'll get edghoged regardless if he stays in his b up or cancels it.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
It could be a good way to mindgame a good DDD player.

Do the dair the first time. Then if you do it a second time footstool them after they airdodge your dair that you're not going to do. He'll be forced to do his b up strait up and then you can edgehog him. If you grab the ledge at the right time he'll get edghoged regardless if he stays in his b up or cancels it.
I can see where you're coming from but I think this move isn't meant to be done too often. I mean considering all of the variables that have to be set a lot of this is simply impractical. I know that it's nice to have this trick up your sleeve but at the same time I don't think it's something to rely on like glide-tossing and spiking. My point is that I wouldn't count on hitting this let alone hitting it twice in one match, doing the fair would be best, mind game or not.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm not to sure If I know what this glitch is exactly.

I grab DDD on the side of the ledge so that his body is over the ledge, then I release grab him he falls and then I fall to d air him. You can do it out of a banana combo.

I dunno if i'm talking about the right thing.

Is there a video?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
If I can do it out of a banana combo then it should be able to happen often.

So if you do that combo and then just try to footstool him is there really anything he can do about it lol.

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
I'm not to sure If I know what this glitch is exactly.

I grab DDD on the side of the ledge so that his body is over the ledge, then I release grab him he falls and then I fall to d air him. You can do it out of a banana combo.

I dunno if i'm talking about the right thing.

Is there a video?
i dont think you quite understand how fast this is, you grab and use your grab attack asap and next thing you know both of you are below the lip of the stage

ok and about the dair even if you connec you will still die a better option is to footstool> then spike while hes useing his jumps or spike when hes recovering (if you time it correctly)

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So I am wrong then. What i'm thinking of is release grabbing DDD, he goes under the lip of the stage and your still on the stage.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Yeah this is different from grab releasing
Its a glitch. You pummel once and youre both below the stage.
Seems pretty good cause you can do it outve of banana combos.

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
so 2 things can happen. Either d3 falls off the stage alone, or you both fall down. I've tried this already, i like to follow the first scenario with a dair, and the second scenario with an fair or footstool >.<

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Let's try a picture:
D: Diddy
3: D3

___________ D _______________3 The flat line is obviously FD

After Diddy runs and grabs it should look like this

_____________________________D3

Then after the pummel like this

Does that make sense? Lol