• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Glitch Discovered: Pac-Man Trampoline Stage Drop

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
This is interesting. I don't see it as being broken but I con't say I like it. I wonder if this is bait-able/punishable.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
This is interesting. I don't see it as being broken but I con't say I like it. I wonder if this is bait-able/punishable.
Very much punishable so long as you jump back on the stage before you phase through the bottom. Considering Pac Man pretty much has to put himself in free fall to pull this off, it's an easy punish.

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
First: Pac-Man can create the trampoline on you and make this happen regardless; or he can hit/throw you into it, and no one can get out of hitstun, regardless of how good a player they are.

Second: No, you cannot jump out of the stage once you are in unless you react in literal milliseconds. Sometimes even then, you cannot recover, and will simply hit your head on the floor.

Third: It does happen because of the creation of the new trampoline and not the turning red, but you cannot jump immediately.
Have you done the glitch yet? I have. And I have to say that it isn't insta-death unless they're on red trampoline

Sixell

Smash Cadet
Second, all characters have the ability to recover from that (except maybe Little Mac).
There's a ton of bigotry in assuming that characters have the same capabilities as what your main or most other characters have.

Characters that most likely can't recover from falling through the center of a thin, flat stage:

Little Mac, Mario, Dr. Mario, DK, Bowser, Captain Falcon, Gannondorf, Marth, Lucina, Ike, Toon Link, Link, Megaman, and Shulk (without monados)

This is assuming that each character only gets one jump. So as cool as this is for Pac-Man mains and mains who aren't really punished by this, don't act like your main's ability reflects those of every other character.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Pac-man is one of my secondaries and this glitch is incredibly hard to pull off. First off I tried it against the cpu in training mode, had it walk into my trampoline, every single time I performed it he'd instantly jump and would be fine. Meaning, that if you just jump right as it happens, you're fine.

Second, I tried this in an actual match and not once did I ever land it, if you miss it, it puts you in a very bad position and its also very hard to time perfectly when they're going to land on it, because unlike a cpu walking in training mode, you don't actually know when they're going to drop on it.

Shouldn't be banned imo, way too situational to happen and if the person pulls it off, they deserve that stock lmfao.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Oh well. Guess we just have to take him out of the game. No big loss

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'll give it a month at the most. Can I say this is one of those times where I'm glad we can be (mostly) sure a patch will fix it?

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Pac-Man can scar too. Very easy to replicate and this works on Halberd too. He ends up under the stage so he can shark with utilt/usmash and not even the claw can touch him.

Eureka

Smash Ace
There's a ton of bigotry in assuming that characters have the same capabilities as what your main or most other characters have.

Characters that most likely can't recover from falling through the center of a thin, flat stage:

Little Mac, Mario, Dr. Mario, DK, Bowser, Captain Falcon, Gannondorf, Marth, Lucina, Ike, Toon Link, Link, Megaman, and Shulk (without monados)

This is assuming that each character only gets one jump. So as cool as this is for Pac-Man mains and mains who aren't really punished by this, don't act like your main's ability reflects those of every other character.
I don't think he was saying that all characters could recover after falling through the stage, but rather that they can double jump before they fall through the floor completely. However, it has been said that certain stages can not be jumped back into unless the player reacts in a very short window. We still don't know the full capabilities of this glitch on different stages. Try not to jump to such conclusions in the future.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
"Alright, I ban TAC and castle seige."
"Cool, I pick *insert walled omega here*"
"Ok then."
Later, 13 seconds in to the match...
"OH COME ON!"
D1: BANNED!

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7

Looking at it on smashville, pretty much everyone but little mac can make it. Other stages this list seems accurate.
If you don't believe me I play doctor mario.

Last edited:

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
Hey wow, everyone thinks that this is easier than landing a Jigglypuffs rest attack. No.
I vote that this stays in the game. Amazing lolz.

FIX HIS GRAB!!!

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
No wonder we didn't get to see the footage of Sakurai beating the **** out as of everyone as Pacman last year at the Smash Roundtable.

That dirty cheater.

Hylian42

Smash Rookie
I just learned about this today. I was in an online match against a pacman. I was jiggz, so I just jumped back to the stage. I was getting ready to put a video together about it, but it looks like someone beat me to it. I don't think it's very game breaking. just don't jump on a trampoline near the ground.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Shouldn't be banned. It'll go on the patch list for sure, but I can't see anything immediate unless everyone is running to For Glory as I type to do this(>__>) then it might get a Mewtwo esque patch within the week/month.

You can also jump out of this afaik unless you're knocked onto it with fair or something.

Anyway, pretty neat. Not remotely difficult to pull off, but requires you to jump on the trampoline while pacman is at neutral, so I doubt it'd work against anyone who isn't aware. Might be pretty neat against ledge options similar to red tramp setups, but without the huge setup time.
This is pretty much only thought and being said by people who joined smash less than a year ago lol. Your lack of experience or knowledge doesn't let you see that glitches like this are always banned in smash. There were some like this in melee with mewtwo and there were iceclimber glitches were you had them freeze onto each other and gained infinite jumps.

Eureka

Smash Ace
This is pretty much only thought and being said by people who joined smash less than a year ago lol. Your lack of experience or knowledge doesn't let you see that glitches like this are always banned in smash. There were some like this in melee with mewtwo and there were iceclimber glitches were you had them freeze onto each other and gained infinite jumps.
*cough cough* Wobbling *cough*. There are plenty of glitches like this that are perfectly legal in Smash, float canceling and the yo-yo glitch to name a few. The freeze glitch and soul breaker in Melee were banned because they made the game unplayable if done. This glitch on the other hand has so far been shown to be impractical or requiring a very specific setup, and might not even be effective at all if people can jump back into the stage. And berating other people's opinions just because they joined Smashboards later than you isn't what experienced or knowledgeable people do, it's called being rude.

Last edited:

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
*cough cough* Wobbling *cough*. There are plenty of glitches like this that are perfectly legal in Smash, float canceling and the yo-yo glitch to name a few. The freeze glitch and soul breaker in Melee were banned because they made the game unplayable if done. This glitch on the other hand has so far been shown to be impractical or requiring a very specific setup, and might not even be effective at all if people can jump back into the stage. And berating other people's opinions just because they joined Smashboards later than you isn't what experienced or knowledgeable people do, it's called being rude.
this is different than that but how am i supposed to politely point out that this is going above all of your heads?

Yes we allow wobbling, we don't allow mewtwo freezing/stagebreaking. This is on the level of metaknights IDC.
I'm not even sure you can call wobbling a glitch when it's a mechanic to not be able to break put while you are being hit in melee in order to let pummel's and grabs to matter more, that doesn't exist in brawl and smash 4 and you can break out of grabs in a very different way. How can I even have a conversation with you when your lack of experience lets you believe that this is just like wobbling....

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
this is different than that but how am i supposed to politely point out that this is going above all of your heads?

Yes we allow wobbling, we don't allow mewtwo freezing/stagebreaking. This is on the level of metaknights IDC.
I'm not even sure you can call wobbling a glitch when it's a mechanic to not be able to break put while you are being hit in melee in order to let pummel's and grabs to matter more, that doesn't exist in brawl and smash 4 and you can break out of grabs in a very different way. How can I even have a conversation with you when your lack of experience lets you believe that this is just like wobbling....
This isn't going over our heads, this is a glitch that at the worst takes a stock from a player who isn't paying attention. This is not a glitch that makes someone stuck to Mewtwo or frozen in midair. They are completely different circumstances and this is much more akin to wobbling then to the freeze glitch. In fact it's quite a bit like it, sure if the player pulls it off he takes a stock for free, but when it happens it's either the wobbled player's fault for getting grabbed, or the wobblier playing very well and thus earning the stock. Similarly here, if somebody walks onto a trampoline lying on the ground knowing this glitch they deserve to lose their stock, and if the Pac Man player is good enough to set up the glitch he earns the rewards.

And if you wanted to be polite you could have said something like this. "I believe there's something people are forgetting, in the past glitches that broke the game like this where banned, and I feel people who never knew of those glitches may not understand the reasons this glitch should be banned." I still think the glitch should be legal until otherwise shown broken, but it's better then saying "lol you have no idea what you're talking about because you're new this should be obviously banned".

EDIT: Yes wobbling is a glitch, it's an exploitation of a system in the game that produces a result the developers never knew of or intended. Also I find it very offensive that you're trying to dismiss my point of view on a technicality and my "lack of experience" instead of addressing any of the actual points while at the same time comparing glitches that make the game unplayable to one that might take a stock. And finally, Mewtwo can pull people through the stage in Melee with confusion, and it's legal, so why is this any different?

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
My friend on another site did this to me (on accident actually) during a match today lol. It is kinda different than the video in the OP too. He uploaded it on YouTube.

Last edited:

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
My friend on another site did this to me (on accident actually) during a match today lol. It is kinda different than the video in the OP too. He uploaded it on YouTube.

Hmm he didn't summon a new trampoline... Did he tap up-b when you got on the red trampoline?

Eureka

Smash Ace
Hmm he didn't summon a new trampoline... Did he tap up-b when you got on the red trampoline?
It might have been because the trampoline was placed above the section on Lylat where the ground curves, and the trampoline being placed at an angle caused it to be close enough to the ground that when Link walked on it and broke it he got clipped through the stage to his death. Either way it begs the question of what in the world Sakurai's team did to fix hydrants going through the stage that started making people go through the stage.

EDIT: Was able to put myself through several platforms fairly easily by placing the trampoline so it was closer to the ground than it can usually get. Pac Man just fell right through the stage after the trampoline broke. I don't know if this was possible pre patch, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened in the video.

From what I've gathered, the reason this glitch works is that when a character goes through the animation of jumping off of Pac Man's trampoline they are moved down a bit before they are bounced back up and if a trampoline is placed near the ground this animation can put a character partially into the stage. By summoning a new trampoline before they bounce back up, that animation is canceled and leaves the character partially inside the stage, at which point they fall through it because they are no longer touching the ground. The animation of the trampoline breaking also moves a character down, but it also puts them in their helpless animation, which has a different point that qualifies as touching the ground. This means the trampoline needs to be closer to the ground than it can get by using up-b on the ground to send people through the stage by breaking it. I'm not saying this is for a fact what's going on, but I'm fairly certain it has something to do with this.

The next question is what changed in the patch that caused people to fall through the stage instead of landing on it? My guess is they reworked the criteria for what qualifies as touching the stage to prevent things like fire hydrants going through them, but forgot to test how this change would apply to character-stage interaction. Unless this has always been possible and we've just now noticed it.

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
That's a no-brainer. Yes it is a glitch that needs to be banned from tournaments.
I would agree with you IF it wasn't for the fact that any character can simply jump back into the stage as long as they don't pass through the entirety of it. The only stages I could see this being a problem is Town and City and Smashvile, and even then a player would be have to be really distracted to not react in time to jump back in. Besides that the only application would be breaking the trampoline to send them through, but not only would that require setting it up closer to the ground than it can normally get, which is only feasible on platforms you can jump through the bottom of anyway or a very specific spot on Lylat (they can never quite fix that stage can they?) and hitting it three times before it disappeared. Pac Man can't even capitalize off the positional advantage because he needs to use his up-b to trigger the glitch, which could lead to him getting smacked. If someone dies to this glitch it's probably their fault. Now that being said if someone whips this out and starts showing how it can be abused, then it should be banned, but until then it's mostly harmless and would be a hassle to enforce.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Man... I was hoping we could keep this under wraps long enough to abuse it...

That said, there are a lot more applications to this than the immediately obvious one. For example in teams, there are some truly OP tactics with this.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Man... I was hoping we could keep this under wraps long enough to abuse it...

That said, there are a lot more applications to this than the immediately obvious one. For example in teams, there are some truly OP tactics with this.
Your secret is out, you can't hide from the light of truth! But what are these doubles strategies you speak of? Don't worry I'll keep them a secret, I promise I won't tell everyone how to counter them.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Your secret is out, you can't hide from the light of truth! But what are these doubles strategies you speak of? Don't worry I'll keep them a secret, I promise I won't tell everyone how to counter them.
Assuming my Pacman brethren start using them, you shall soon see...

As for countering.... MWAHAHAHA! There is none... Don't let Pacman and his team mate set this up.
Here's the hint: The OP is incorrect: this doesn't send you through the stage on all stages.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Assuming my Pacman brethren start using them, you shall soon see...

As for countering.... MWAHAHAHA! There is none... Don't let Pacman and his team mate set this up.
Here's the hint: The OP is incorrect: this doesn't send you through the stage on all stages.
This sounds rather nefarious. Too bad I don't have the Wii U version, or I would be checking this out like crazy. Everyone, quick, to the lab! We must discover their plot before people start collapsing from dangerously high sodium levels! Then again Villager and Lucario can freaking OHKO people, so as I said before I doubt anyone will be fazed by these sorts of shenanigans. Although I have a sneaking suspicion Halberd might have some interesting interactions with this glitch.

Last edited:

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
Doesn't seem very broken. One could easily avoid the red trampoline.
And anyone notice that Pac-Man is just full of glitches? Once one goes, another pops up.
Trampoline doesn't have to be red. As you saw in the video, it works with all colors.

DigitalAtom6

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DigitalAtom6
3DS FC
1864-9481-4247
Note that this won't work well on certain characters, Wario in particular if he still has his bike. I can imagine that Villager and Lucario on high aura won't be completely lost if this happened to them either.

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
It might have been because the trampoline was placed above the section on Lylat where the ground curves, and the trampoline being placed at an angle caused it to be close enough to the ground that when Link walked on it and broke it he got clipped through the stage to his death. Either way it begs the question of what in the world Sakurai's team did to fix hydrants going through the stage that started making people go through the stage.

EDIT: Was able to put myself through several platforms fairly easily by placing the trampoline so it was closer to the ground than it can usually get. Pac Man just fell right through the stage after the trampoline broke. I don't know if this was possible pre patch, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened in the video.

From what I've gathered, the reason this glitch works is that when a character goes through the animation of jumping off of Pac Man's trampoline they are moved down a bit before they are bounced back up and if a trampoline is placed near the ground this animation can put a character partially into the stage. By summoning a new trampoline before they bounce back up, that animation is canceled and leaves the character partially inside the stage, at which point they fall through it because they are no longer touching the ground. The animation of the trampoline breaking also moves a character down, but it also puts them in their helpless animation, which has a different point that qualifies as touching the ground. This means the trampoline needs to be closer to the ground than it can get by using up-b on the ground to send people through the stage by breaking it. I'm not saying this is for a fact what's going on, but I'm fairly certain it has something to do with this.

The next question is what changed in the patch that caused people to fall through the stage instead of landing on it? My guess is they reworked the criteria for what qualifies as touching the stage to prevent things like fire hydrants going through them, but forgot to test how this change would apply to character-stage interaction. Unless this has always been possible and we've just now noticed it.
I've done that glitch on Lylat prepatch. Seems to be easier now though, it used to only work when the stage was wobbling.
The stage is just super goofy.
Why is it tourney legal again?

Top Bottom