• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new doc vids :O

Roxaslawliet

Smash Apprentice
Just let me shino and camp pills when I do it...you might hit me then just try to read how I get back up onto the stage

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Ummm lets see.

Since you're calling "warm up johns" -rolls eyes-, I wont say anything about the absurd amount of missed techs. Ironic we were just talkin about it.

___

Punish better. I've watched the first 2 vids so far and I dont know how many times i've seen sheik up+b onto the stage clean. That should NEVER happen.

You out to atleast attempt to break out of a grab. I saw you get hit 3 times at 90% (which cant happen if you're REALLY trying to get out), but 3 times at 30 person (which is just comical). That's just... oof.

Take the edge more, especially against a character who has a highly punishable up+b.

ok, and going more into that, when you get the ledge, and make them up+b, STAY ON THE LEDGE.

Just because you land a n.air or u.air doesnt mean the next thing has to be a jab. (This is like, your flow chart). If you're going to jab afterwards, do it faster. >.>

4 HITS AT 70% FROM A GRAB. -slams keyboard- uuuuuuuuuugh

Oh man, and then props of the wackest dunks ever. You were late as I dunno what out of it, but sheik didnt jump so *shrug*.

__
I dunno, watching this last one's gunna do something for me
__

....distraction johns, ill finish up later. XD

edit: oh shino stalling

theoretically if you time it right and you're close enough, you can go take the ledge. Realistically you back the **** up and throw pills till they get tired of doing it. There's not much you can really do about it. Welcome to melee. XD

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
=/ i'm not good. i'll work on the breaking out of grabs tho...i usually just focuse on DI too much i think. so i don't end up mashing to get out =/

p.s. thx dogy

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
i still havent gone back and watched the last vid, im kinda in lazy mode right now.

You dont specifically have to be good at breaking grabs, but you always need to give the illusion that you're atleast "trying". I could go into my whole theory of "why I think it's fair for people to know", but really, just do it.

All you have to do is somewhat mash y/x/a/b. Even if you just do it with no real effort, you wont get cheated bad.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
Good platform-dash movement =D

Your shiek edgeguarding seems a little weak, maybe like you're doing more moving and less thinking. Take it slow with shiek and wait for the opportunity to set up and punish the poofy teleport thing. Granted, it's kinda unsettling, you have to remember its a pretty ****ty recovery move and you can -almost- call where it's gonna go every time. (Works 60% of the time.. every time).

You seem to do alot of unnecessary movement; it's smooth and fairly fast, but comes with awkward little pauses which you should learn to smooth out, maybe get better at running/dashdancing out of wavedashes so you're not a sitting duck?

Your jab--->grab game is obviously developed, but you're using it as fi it was the only thing you can do on the ground. Dont forget about tilts and dash attack for setting up, or just throwing out smashes when the time is right. Also, chaingrabs? where is dey? : (
You're also doing alot of fulljumps/dj's that dont come with any really smart DI or attacks to keep you safe. I think that's just asking for a shiekslap, and I'm sad your amigo isn't gimping you more on that.

Anyway just generally try to leave less openings, especially against ze shiekz.

Your tech speed looks fairly good, though, your SHFFL's are fast and fairs look way tighter than mine : P. Just watch what Dogy said, and... y'know.. tech when you should and don't get caught in grabs. Word.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
thank you. i'll try to take your advice and get some follow up vids =] thx again, both of you. i think i need to learn how shieks upb works better...so i can punish it better =/ i don't try to chain grab very often unless i'm fighting spacey's but ya.. i'll try to get vids soon ;)

jlark

Smash Rookie
Mixed bag

I would have to say that moving better should be the main focus of your game. In your videos (I'm going to ignore warm up jons :dizzy:) I noticed you missed a lot of wavelands and dashes, air dodging instead of doing what you meant to. You also need to fast fall stuff more (not just in shffls). One of the hard parts about playing doc is that you're very floaty and thus can be easily gimped by sheiks and marths, so you need to get any speed boost you can.

Shifting gears and risking blasphemy, I actually think you need to pill less. There were opportunities where you could have followed up combos or started a vital chain grab but instead pilled and broke your momentum. If you don't want to pill less, then maybe pill at more opportune moments.

I'm not going to say anything about edgegaurding/punishing because it's already been covered. Follow the advice of previous posts. I'd also suggest more chain grabbing. The ability to chain grab levels out the doc-sheik match up a bit.

Here's what I liked: you had good bairs and you were smart with jabs and fsmashes. I really liked this part in your first video where you held sheik in place with a pill, landed, jabbed for stun, and spaced a nice fsmash for the kill. That was cool. You also had some pretty decent mind games with a short hop, wave land back, move in for the fair type of thing. Smart stuff, but don't become predictable.

You seem to be a good but developing doc, and while some stuff needed work, a lot of stuff was pretty solid. Gj.

Edit: You know, I think I will give credibility to those warm up jons. I was basing a lot of my advice on your first 3 videos, but after watching your later vid, you genuinely got better the longer you played and made less mistakes. My bad.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I'd say just clean up the wavedashing and wavelanding so that you don't leave yourself open as much. Also, against Sheik, you should ALMOST ALWAYS initiate slam throws (D-throws) to go for chaingrabs or uptilt/Uair combos to rack up more damage. All the other throws are rather pointless unless your opponent will be off the stage after using the swing throws (B-throw or F-throw). I gave all your videos five stars for using doctor mario and commeneted on the cloud catch at Yoshi Story! ;)

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
k i think this wednesday, and maybe tuesday also...(not so sure about tuesday) i'm gonna be playing some smash and i'll try to record some doc stuf...i really haven't played much of him lately =/ but i'll make sure i'm at least warmed up when i record stuff this time ;)

k, his landlord was a ****. she kinda kicked us all out, and i never had any recorded doc :(

Gea

Smash Master
By the way, I unno if this was mentioned but if you are pretty sure sheik is going to land the slap on your ***, don't waste your double jump.

Like she grabs you, dthrow's ftilts. You can DI but you know you can't get away, save that jump, it will save a stock.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Lol dair to dtilt, d-tilt is a pretty bad move you would've benefited much more from a grab

Also: Loved the sexy recover on YS

Top Bottom