• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troykv

Smash Master
I know Micaiah has been added to the candidates list but has anyone talked about her moveset? For anyone who has played Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, they'd know about her close relationship with Sothe. He's basically her body guard/best and childhood friend who would prefer to not leave her side. These are only a few ideas but I can imagine her having a down B counter which would work like Lucario's brawl counter but instead of her disappearing, she puts her hands up in a defensive position and Sothe quickly appears and hits the enemy then goes away again. Up B could be Sothe appears and does some quick hit to give her some kind of hitbox before ascending and grabs her hand then throws her up towards the stage. She would not go into a free fall state but loses the ability to do any B moves till grabbing the ledge, landing on stage or getting hit. What are your opinions?
This could be interesting. But would be so difficult xD

I'm supporting Micaiah appears in any game in Smash, but I'm mostly supporting her in Smash 4 because I don't play to much Project M, and be in Smash 4 is an a lot bigger thread.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
The ideas you're bringing around utilizing Sothe, while at the very least interesting, in my opinion just have no place in a game as fast paced as Project M. What you're describing is much more like Zelda's Phantom Attack from Sm4sh, just a bit more complicated - new complexity is good, don't get me wrong, but it just seems that something new and simple might be better in most cases. not to mention it's detrimental to Michaiah as a character - relying on someone else for a large part of your attacks seems weakening. it's easily one of the reasons Chrom only shows up for Robin's final smash and victory poses - despite being an easy Ike skin, god damn it sakurai - it shows off their "got your back" best friend mentality, while pushing the character in focus as his own thing.

And just to take note, myself and a lot of people are just not huge on the Idea of Michaiah. her/Ike's game (specifically Radiant Dawn) are overall not from a great point in the FE series, and she's not a very well liked character. The biggest reason she's looked at here is because she'd be a Fire Emblem character who uses magic instead of a blade.

and as an addendum to this, I get salty over her because while it looks like we're getting another FE character on the clone engine (soonTM), people actively want Michaiah to be a clone of Zelda, while, say, Lyndis, is pretty actively pushed to be a completely from-scratch built character cough cough, which is a much better use of one of the slots we have left than a clone for a series that already got a (clone) character from the Clone Engine. if it were to happen, we'd have half the FE cast in Project M be clones - and that just seems wasteful.
I still don't understand why people think of RD as a low point in the FE series. I absolutely love that game, and I don't see why people complain so much about "Mary Sue" Micaiah. But I can understand the want for a more unique character (example Lyn) instead of her as a clone of Zelda tho.

As to the whole Sothe thing, I wouldn't like to see him make appearance as a special in her moveset. While your ideas are interesting, they seem extremely complex and very difficult to implement. How could they even implement an entire character like that into a special???

Now perhaps if they made them a duo like Ice Climbers I could get more behind the idea. It'd be relatively more familiar to other smash players this way. Make them have differing normals, that way whenever you jab/tilt/smash Sothe has a different attack. Perhaps have one characters actions have more startup then the other, making it look like they are actually working together to string combos, but just at the touch of one button (sort of like a multihit normal e.g. Chun Li's c.HP). It'd be really difficult to balance out something like that, but it would really represent how they are portrayed in RD, always working together.

Please be aware tho, I DO NOT support a character like this being implemented into PM. Another duo character just isn't needed imo unless they behave like a regular character (something like Wolf Link and Midna) since that's Ice Climbers' whole shtick. Also it would most likely take up 2 slots... which I don't like the thought of reducing the potential number of new characters in any way shape or form xD

Troykv

Smash Master
I still don't understand why people think of RD as a low point in the FE series. I absolutely love that game, and I don't see why people complain so much about "Mary Sue" Micaiah. But I can understand the want for a more unique character (example Lyn) instead of her as a clone of Zelda tho.
Maybe the reason for that is mostly because the games sales (in Japan are like 10k better than Xenoblade and Path of Radiance but still low with 170k; the Wii as a "casual" console makes games like this specially in the first years... Failures). The other reason is probably the simplistic and generic supports (after the RD and Shadow Dragon the games begin to have a bigger focus in the Supports... Only look Fates, that has mini games about the relationships).

The other games 3 games with low sales (Gaiden, Path of Radiance and Thraccia) arrive in the time where its respective consoles was practically dead (Gaiden also was so different and Thraccia is a hard game).

Also, only for be DS's games you can also considered the Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of Emblem as failures (In Japan these games solds like 260k... in a freaking Nintendo DS).

Last edited:

True Fool

Smash Ace
Maybe the reason for that is mostly because the games sales (in Japan are like 10k better than Xenoblade and Path of Radiance but still low with 170k; the Wii as a "casual" console makes games like this specially in the first years... Failures). The other reaon is probably the simplistic and generic supports (after the RD and Shadow Dragon the games begIn to have a bigger focus in the Supports... Only look Fates, that has mini games about the relationships).

The other games 3 games with low sales (Gaiden, Path of Radiance and Thraccia) arrive in the time where its respective consoles was practically dead (Gaiden also was so different and Thraccia is a hard game).

Also, only for be DS's games you can also considered the Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of Emblem as failures (In Japan these games solds like 260k... in a freaking Nintendo DS).
I'm always perplexed at Nintendo's insistence on releasing games on the tail-end of a console's life.

Not a character necessarily, but mentioning Thracia, I hope for a Leaf costume on Roy. Not too big on the Awakening salt that was leaked.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Not a character necessarily, but mentioning Thracia, I hope for a Leaf costume on Roy. Not too big on the Awakening salt that was leaked.
>leaked

that was straight up announced on their twitter.

EDIT: IF ANY OF YOU SAY A THING ABOUT GENO I SWEAR TO GOD.

Last edited:

True Fool

Smash Ace
>leaked

that was straight up announced on their twitter.

EDIT: IF ANY OF YOU SAY A THING ABOUT GENO I SWEAR TO GOD.
Oh, I saw the pic somewhere else and just jumped to a conclusion. It's not that it looks bad, but after Marth and Ike's alts I was hoping for another past fe alt.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The ideas you're bringing around utilizing Sothe, while at the very least interesting, in my opinion just have no place in a game as fast paced as Project M. What you're describing is much more like Zelda's Phantom Attack from Sm4sh, just a bit more complicated - new complexity is good, don't get me wrong, but it just seems that something new and simple might be better in most cases. not to mention it's detrimental to Michaiah as a character - relying on someone else for a large part of your attacks seems weakening. it's easily one of the reasons Chrom only shows up for Robin's final smash and victory poses - despite being an easy Ike skin, god damn it sakurai - it shows off their "got your back" best friend mentality, while pushing the character in focus as his own thing.

And just to take note, myself and a lot of people are just not huge on the Idea of Michaiah. her/Ike's game (specifically Radiant Dawn) are overall not from a great point in the FE series, and she's not a very well liked character. The biggest reason she's looked at here is because she'd be a Fire Emblem character who uses magic instead of a blade.

and as an addendum to this, I get salty over her because while it looks like we're getting another FE character on the clone engine (soonTM), people actively want Michaiah to be a clone of Zelda, while, say, Lyndis, is pretty actively pushed to be a completely from-scratch built character cough cough, which is a much better use of one of the slots we have left than a clone for a series that already got a (clone) character from the Clone Engine. if it were to happen, we'd have half the FE cast in Project M be clones - and that just seems wasteful.
What? Radiant Dawn is probably the best game in the series, maybe only a bit behind Path of Radiance. How is that "not from a great point in the FE series"?

Man, the FE fandom is all backwards. lol.

To see people considering Awakening a high point and Radiant Dawn a low point is absolutely baffling.

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
What? Radiant Dawn is probably the best game in the series, maybe only a bit behind Path of Radiance. How is that "not from a great point in the FE series"?

To see people considering Awakening a high point and Radiant Dawn a low point is absolutely baffling.
tbh I played most of the games and loved all of them they have a great story to them o.o

Troykv

Smash Master

Supports... The greatest problem that the fanbase has with RD are the Supports.

Is funny... RD has a interesting story, bad supports (generic) and a pseudo Mary Sue (mostly background wise, the Character-herself doesn't really did something so absurdly to her advantage... And the Laguz Alliance -That are the good guys- hate her in the Part 3).

I did a post about the Micaiah's non-background-wise (this ones are pointless if don't hurt the story) characteristics as a "Mary Sue"

If you want I can show it to you.

In the other side Awakening has meh story with many supports (some are great, other bad) and a most literal Mary Sue... Everyone loves him/her! (well... Is an Avatar... Actually makes sense xD) but that is memetic badass xD.

Last edited:

drewilliam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hollowords
Excited for Lyn, Knuckles and Isaac (Hopefully?) and I'd also like to see Ridley, Dark Samus or Skull Kid.

Are Bomberman and Simon Belmont out of the question?

Am I the only one who actually likes Ganondorf's moveset? The small changes in 3.5 make him plenty like Ocarina, but still keep the familiar moves we know (and like).

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Why are you sooo mad about it o.o just wondering

I thought it was very funny too XD
because clash tournaments has now got half of the internet expecting him. If any of you understood the first thing about how custom move hacks and skins work you'd know it's just someone's custom build they didn't clean up. if you search for geno on brawlvault, the first two results are Geno hacks for Project M that replace ROB on the existing roster. it looks like someone was playing around with this or another mod http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=208709 , but forgot to put all of rob's files back when they were finished.

Geno does not exist in any way or form on the brawl disk as it is, so on a technicallity he can't be a clone engine character as it is.

i'm not mad about Geno.
i'm mad about mouth-breathing idiots who are now spouting "geno confirmed" because of one guy's mistake.

those people are people who latched on to the series with awakening. i see it as a necessary evil - at least the series is still alive.

as for the general consensus on radiant dawn
-no real improvement over the previous game mechanics, in fact some where removed
-bioryhthm is still a terrible mechanic
-people don't like the dawn brigade
-people don't like elencia's 5 chapters
-thanks partly to the nature of split parties, the gaps between good and bad characters are even bigger, making it hard to do well with the characters you like
-unbalanced difficulty
-support conversations are dropped
-the overall presentation of it is lacking, barely looking better than PoR, which already looked terrible for a late gamecube game

as for the general consensus on micaiah herself
-yes, lords are mary/gary stu is to a degree in practically every FE game, but it's taken too far with her
  • She's Sanaki's sister out of nowhere
  • has a god sleeping inside her
  • can talk to animals
  • and can see the future when it's convenient for the plot
  • makes some outright stupid decisions nobody ever calls her out over
  • has followers will fanatically attest to her "sainthood"
off the top of my head. she's also compareable to roy, gameplay wise - an "alright" unit that gets largely screwed by a late game promotion.

Excited for Lyn, Knuckles and Isaac (Hopefully?) and I'd also like to see Ridley, Dark Samus or Skull Kid.

Are Bomberman and Simon Belmont out of the question?

Am I the only one who actually likes Ganondorf's moveset? The small changes in 3.5 make him plenty like Ocarina, but still keep the familiar moves we know (and like).
yes, bomberman and simon aren't in brawl in any way. there's no chance for either of them.

no. i will always laugh at those who want to make him black shadow.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
because clash tournaments has now got half of the internet expecting him. If any of you understood the first thing about how custom move hacks and skins work you'd know it's just someone's custom build they didn't clean up. if you search for geno on brawlvault, the first two results are Geno hacks for Project M that replace ROB on the existing roster. it looks like someone was playing around with this or another mod http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=208709 , but forgot to put all of rob's files back when they were finished.

Geno does not exist in any way or form on the brawl disk as it is, so on a technicallity he can't be a clone engine character as it is.

i'm not mad about Geno.
i'm mad about mouth-breathing idiots who are now spouting "geno confirmed" because of one guy's mistake.

those people are people who latched on to the series with awakening. i see it as a necessary evil - at least the series is still alive.

as for the general consensus on radiant dawn
-no real improvement over the previous game mechanics, in fact some where removed
-bioryhthm is still a terrible mechanic
-people don't like the dawn brigade
-people don't like elencia's 5 chapters
-thanks partly to the nature of split parties, the gaps between good and bad characters are even bigger, making it hard to do well with the characters you like
-unbalanced difficulty
-support conversations are dropped
-the overall presentation of it is lacking, barely looking better than PoR, which already looked terrible for a late gamecube game

as for the general consensus on micaiah herself
-yes, lords are mary/gary stu is to a degree in practically every FE game, but it's taken too far with her
  • She's Sanaki's sister out of nowhere
  • has a god sleeping inside her
  • can talk to animals
  • and can see the future when it's convenient for the plot
  • makes some outright stupid decisions nobody ever calls her out over
  • has followers will fanatically attest to her "sainthood"
off the top of my head. she's also compareable to roy, gameplay wise - an "alright" unit that gets largely screwed by a late game promotion.

yes, bomberman and simon aren't in brawl in any way. there's no chance for either of them.

no. i will always laugh at those who want to make him black shadow.
Radiant Dawn was a weird case, so MANY things that could work better if they try to take more time to balance it. Looks like the game trys to use the Smash Hype Train with Ike... But was too soon.

I'm still thinking about that.

Personally I really like the game, but well that probably doesn't have any value because the avatar that I have.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Radiant Dawn was a weird case, so MANY things that could work better if they try to take more time to balance it. Looks like the game trys to use the Smash Hype Train with Ike... But was too soon.

I'm still thinking about that.

Personally I really like the game, but well that probably doesn't have any value because the avatar that I have.
Radiant dawn can at least get by on the fact that it is "path of radiance+".

It's still fire emblem and enjoyable, it's just "meh" in the grand scheme of FE things.

Last edited:

True Fool

Smash Ace
Radiant dawn can at least get by on the fact that it is "path of radiance+".

It's still fire emblem and enjoyable, it's just "meh" in the grand scheme of FE things.
I agree. FE9 is probably my favorite in the series, and while FE10 is fun, it was a little disappointing as a sequel.

I usually only replay FE10 after 5ish FE9 playthroughs when I just really want to see the rest of the story again.

NXero

Smash Apprentice
I just want a new character. Any new character, Ronald McDonald, Zero Suit Olimar, anyone as long as they have a mostly original moveset.
It's been a long time since we had new characters (yes, I count Mewtwo and Roy as new), a lot of my friends are getting bored of PM and we were expecting PM4.0 with at least one new character to release this year, but the 3.6 delay destroyed our hopes and dreams...

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I just want a new character. Any new character, Ronald McDonald, Zero Suit Olimar, anyone as long as they have a mostly original moveset.
It's been a long time since we had new characters (yes, I count Mewtwo and Roy as new), a lot of my friends are getting bored of PM and we were expecting PM4.0 with at least one new character to release this year, but the 3.6 delay destroyed our hopes and dreams...
I want Waluigi to come out already...

Waa

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Pichu would nice since he's a Melee veteran.
Ninten too since I like the idea of using weapons from Mother rather than PSI.

Edit: It appears voting ended already. Who won?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Pichu would nice since he's a Melee veteran.
Ninten too since I like the idea of using weapons from Mother rather than PSI.

Edit: It appears voting ended already. Who won?
Technically, no one since its just unofficial popularity poll or something. But character with most votes is Isaac. I think Ridley goes after him, but not sure.

Lyn I think is a definite candidate to make it it because like Isaac she has been top 5 in every vote. I think Ridley was not present in the top 5 in a couple.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Lyn I think is a definite candidate to make it it because like Isaac she has been top 5 in every vote. I think Ridley was not present in the top 5 in a couple.
Here are most recent (12/3/14) results:
Top 5
Isaac: 264.5 (252, 49, 12, 96.17%)
Ridley: 192.5 (205, 53, 39, 86.87%)
Ganondorf / Black Shadow: 141.5 (168, 43, 48, 81.47%)
Lyn: 125.5 (136, 55, 38, 83.41%)
King K. Rool: 124.5 (111, 65, 19, 90.26%)

So, i was right. Ridley is in 2nd place while Isaac is 1st.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Here are most recent (12/3/14) results:
Top 5
Isaac: 264.5 (252, 49, 12, 96.17%)
Ridley: 192.5 (205, 53, 39, 86.87%)
Ganondorf / Black Shadow: 141.5 (168, 43, 48, 81.47%)
Lyn: 125.5 (136, 55, 38, 83.41%)
King K. Rool: 124.5 (111, 65, 19, 90.26%)

So, i was right. Ridley is in 2nd place while Isaac is 1st.
Well at least your charicter is popular. Poor Knuckles is F-tier , I don't even know if he's gonna get scrapped when they reveal the new clone engine charicters.

Too bad I don't really care about Knuckles

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well at least your charicter is popular. Poor Knuckles is F-tier , I don't even know if he's gonna get scrapped when they reveal the new clone engine charicters.

Too bad I don't really care about Knuckles
Knuckles isn't the only one in F-tier and its more becase of "2nd Sonic rep" thing than popularity i guess.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Knuckles isn't the only one in F-tier and its more becase of "2nd Sonic rep" thing than popularity i guess.
Then again there's more characters that are way popular and have good rep like Shadow. Besides, if Knuckles was to be in Project M because of 2nd Sonic Rep then Gray Fox or Raiden must be included for 2nd MGS rep

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Then again there's more characters that are way popular and have good rep like Shadow. Besides, if Knuckles was to be in Project M because of 2nd Sonic Rep then Gray Fox or Raiden must be included for 2nd MGS rep
I'd prefer GF because GEEWUN, but both him and Raiden would be kinda redundant with...you know. And too many characters with sword thing. But i couldn't care less if they are fun to use.
Actaully Shadow is at the bottom of the poll as of the latest results
I think he meant Black Shadow, but who knows.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I'd prefer GF because GEEWUN, but both him and Raiden would be kinda redundant with...you know. And too many characters with sword thing. But i couldn't care less if they are fun to use.

I think he meant Black Shadow, but who knows.
I ment Shadow the Hedgehog.

I'm pretty ok with more sword fighters, I mean I main Shulk who technically has a sword. Also if the leak is true then Lynn and Issac will join, who are also both sword fighters. So it wouldn't really matter if we got more swordfighters or not since if the leaks are true we would be saturated ether way

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I ment Shadow the Hedgehog.

I'm pretty ok with more sword fighters, I mean I main Shulk who technically has a sword. Also if the leak is true then Lynn and Issac will join, who are also both sword fighters. So it wouldn't really matter if we got more swordfighters or not since if the leaks are true we would be saturated ether way
...oh...

I wouldn't be so sure to say Isaac is a sword fighter.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well yeah...

I never played Golden Sun.
I mean all I know about the guy is that he may use swords and he uses hands
I never played GS either. But i heard enough about him and Super Smash Flash 2's Isaac is a good example of Isaac without too much sword stuff. There was a video showing him in action if you're curious. Then again, its a game not limited by system limitations in terms of movesets.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I never played GS either. But i heard enough about him and Super Smash Flash 2's Isaac is a good example of Isaac without too much sword stuff. There was a video showing him in action if you're curious.
Still like 6/41 characters use swords and most of the characters use their fists. If anything there's not a lot of variety in fighting styles in these charicters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Still like 6/41 characters use swords and most of the characters use their fists. If anything there's not a lot of variety in fighting styles in these charicters
Well, yeah. And most of characters are human-like too (only 15-16 aren't and im not counting spacies for obvious reasons).

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
Hello! This is my very first post here and I just recently picked up PM and am really loving it so far. This thread kind of stood out to me, and I saw Isaac from Golden Sun was being considered!

I actually am really excited about the prospect of maybe adding Isaac in as a representative for Golden Sun, which to me was kind of an iconic RPG for the GBA. I also think that he wouldn't be too much of a "swordsman" type even though he's a sword user. In the series, most attacks even from physical attackers aren't even entirely physical (unleashes or physical attack psynergy namely). The issue, of course, is I see him being a gigantic challenge for the development team. I think if the dev team COULD manage it, he'd have the potential for a really cool, varied fighting style that doesn't scream "just another swordsman" while representing a well-loved series from a Nintendo console. His specials could be based off of different psynergies or unleashes, giving the dev team a ton of different directions to go when it comes to choosing what would work as a smash moveset. His inclusion would probably make an instant Isaac main out of me. I just love him conceptually as a smash character.

On more practical/manageable levels, I feel like Paper Mario is an awesome candidate too, who both has most of the tools a good Paper mario moveset would need already present in the game (G&W base, maybe borrow a bit from Mario's set too) and a way of implementation that would make him feel unique, pretty manageable to create, and not being too close of a clone to another character.

Knuckles is yet another one who I really think would both fit well into the style of the game (arguably better than Sonic), and be fairly manageable for them to make I think.

Last edited:

qwertz143

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
QWER#215
Switch FC
3943-7485-4011
Hello! This is my very first post here and I just recently picked up PM and am really loving it so far. This thread kind of stood out to me, and I saw Isaac from Golden Sun was being considered!

I actually am really excited about the prospect of maybe adding Isaac in as a representative for Golden Sun, which to me was kind of an iconic RPG for the GBA. I also think that he wouldn't be too much of a "swordsman" type even though he's a sword user. In the series, most attacks even from physical attackers aren't even entirely physical (unleashes or physical attack psynergy namely). The issue, of course, is I see him being a gigantic challenge for the development team. I think if the dev team COULD manage it, he'd have the potential for a really cool, varied fighting style that doesn't scream "just another swordsman" while representing a well-loved series from a Nintendo console. His specials could be based off of different psynergies or unleashes, giving the dev team a ton of different directions to go when it comes to choosing what would work as a smash moveset. His inclusion would probably make an instant Isaac main out of me. I just love him conceptually as a smash character.

On more practical/manageable levels, I feel like Paper Mario is an awesome candidate too, who both has most of the tools a good Paper mario moveset would need already present in the game (G&W base, maybe borrow a bit from Mario's set too) and a way of implementation that would make him feel unique, pretty manageable to create, and not being too close of a clone to another character.

Knuckles is yet another one who I really think would both fit well into the style of the game (arguably better than Sonic), and be fairly manageable for them to make I think.
PM might add Isaac in fact, but I think that they are waiting for Smash 4 to release all of its DLC before they release a reveal trailer as to avoid any legal issues if by chance Isaac become a Smash 4 character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom