• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eltrion

Smash Cadet
Just throwing out there that I'd much prefer Kumatora, Duster, Paula, or Jeff over any of the Mother reps currently suggested.

Come on, If we are going to have another Psychic kid, at least make it a girl this time...

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
As someone who almost exclusively posted in the Brawl and Smash4 character discussion, I can tell you that all of the petty arguments and aggressive slandering, and overly defensive opinions will not stop if we take away voting. I've seen page long fights that make the dark samus one look tame. Obviously you guys have the final say, but if we take away voting to promote "real discussion" on the characters merits, that probably won't happen. If I say I don't like Dark Samus or Takamaru, everyone who loves them is gonna defend them vehemently regardless if my opinion has a vote attached.

At least that's my experience in 4ish years of only being a part of Character Discussion Threads.
You're probably right. I just figured people wouldn't get as worked up about different opinions when they don't influence a poll... But the Brawl boards kinda prove otherwise.

I guess this thread will just continue to be for laughs.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Regardless of whether things would change, I feel like the voting is superfluous by now. The results of the voting have been pretty consistent and I don't foresee any major changes.

Last edited:

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
+1 for Issac. All day er-day.
+1 for Knickles. That glide would be an interesting mechanic, plus he would totally get wall clings and maybe introduce a mechanic to actually scale them.

I TOTALLY wouldn't want to see plus and min as a pokemon lineup, we have enough pokemans, if anything I rather see a hitmonchan than those two.

Last edited:

muleet

Smash Apprentice
If the vote system changes, couldn't it become something altogether different, like not voting about characters, but voting about criterion?
For example, about what Eltrion_DVK just said : maybe most Mother fans would agree to have a girl for a new Mother newcomer, but since all the votes has already been made, it's difficult to really present that idea. So, we could divide the votes on categories, which would gives restrictions too :
1) Votes about franchises (like, we can agree that Dark Samus and Ridley, or Dixie Kong and K. Rool cannot come together in PM, but fans of these franchises are probably agreeing that they want the other character if the other is not popular enough). (Or, votes about unrepresentend series at all, it would be like making a vote for "Advance wars" and not for "Andy" or Sami. Of course, there could be subvotes, to say which character you especially want.)
2) Votes about movesets (If you think that, regardless of the character itself, his moveset can be interesting.)
3) Votes about what PM lacks : you may vote, regardless of which character we talks about, against or for a new swordsman, or for a female, a vilain, a big character, etc.

If something like that isn't made, It is still possible to make interesting statistics based on the present votes.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
If the vote system changes, couldn't it become something altogether different, like not voting about characters, but voting about criterion?
For example, about what Eltrion_DVK just said : maybe most Mother fans would agree to have a girl for a new Mother newcomer, but since all the votes has already been made, it's difficult to really present that idea. So, we could divide the votes on categories, which would gives restrictions too :
1) Votes about franchises (like, we can agree that Dark Samus and Ridley, or Dixie Kong and K. Rool cannot come together in PM, but fans of these franchises are probably agreeing that they want the other character if the other is not popular enough). (Or, votes about unrepresentend series at all, it would be like making a vote for "Advance wars" and not for "Andy" or Sami. Of course, there could be subvotes, to say which character you especially want.)
2) Votes about movesets (If you think that, regardless of the character itself, his moveset can be interesting.)
3) Votes about what PM lacks : you may vote, regardless of which character we talks about, against or for a new swordsman, or for a female, a vilain, a big character, etc.

If something like that isn't made, It is still possible to make interesting statistics based on the present votes.
Probably a little too convoluted... but I was certainly thinking of certain combinations, for example a Ridley/Dark Samus ticket for Metroid, and then retro tickets. And even if they don't get separate votes, they can get special statistical consideration.

Either way, this is still probably a ways away, so I wouldn't be worrying about it too much.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
I just realized King K. Rool is impossible because there aren't any characters with both:
A. a cape
B. a projectile/article that could be used for his blunderbuss.

ThatPersonGuy

Smash Cadet
For Project M, I'd really like to see unnrepped series take priority over already repped series. Because while I'm almost certain that Toad or maybe even through some stroke of chance Ridley will be playable either as DLC or Smash 5 (Despite how far away it may seem), a lot of characters like Isaac probably won't get their change another day.

Isaac - 1. A character with oodles of potential that could easily differentiate himself from other sword users.
Saki - 1. Similar to Isaac. I really like the idea of some unholy love child between someone like Marth and Falco.
Lip. - 1. She's retro and unique. She'll probably take the most work to put in, but I think that a well implemented Lip could be amazing.
Takamaru - 1. Do I even need to say anything? There's a reason why for the longest time he was a shoo in for SSB4. Hell, I think that me might have actually been considered at one point, but was shafted for Greninja.
Mach Rider - 1. I'd like to do a desperate bit for Mike Jones, but I really can't think of a good way to distinguish him from Ness while also managing to give him a consistent and unique theme. Instead I'll give it to this guy, who's both potential and possible cloning material make him a neat choice.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
For Project M, I'd really like to see unnrepped series take priority over already repped series. Because while I'm almost certain that Toad or maybe even through some stroke of chance Ridley will be playable either as DLC or Smash 5 (Despite how far away it may seem), a lot of characters like Isaac probably won't get their change another day.
I can bet you a boatload of money that Toad won't be DLC or Smash 5.

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
I dunno why I've never bothered to reply to this thread.

+1 Votes

Ridley-

I love the idea of one of the most unique villain's to be in any game for smash bros. I would main the crap out of ridley.
The largest downside is his uniqueness, which is his major positive attribute. By far my most desired character for PM.

King K Rool-
Donkey, Diddy and Krool would about round out the donkey kong series. Another villain gives a bit of balance to the DK cast specifically. I think Krool would provide another opportunity to have an interesting move set and play style. I don't think he would be JUST another large heavy hitting tank (he most certainly might have some of those attributes though).

Blackshadow/ganondorf swap-
This makes the most sense of any proposal. I would be a little sad to see a previous main of mine get move swapped, but the potential upsides of playing a true-to-canon ganon is by far more worth it to me, and I get another villain in blackshadow.

Skull Kid-

This could be possibly the most interesting character to get added. What couldn't they do with skull kid? His potential move set is enormous. Thus, I have faith that no matter how he was realized in PM, the PMDT would do an amazing job. Sucks that he's kinda a character to make from scratch.

Waluigi-

Downside of being in the "mario" group of characters aside, this poor fellow has NEVER seen his hayday in video games. He would be a fairly logical inclusion in terms of "smash-like" character. I just worry he might not bring too much in terms of a unique move set. Hopefully he gets some interesting properties on his moves.

I think some of the character suggested seem silly, but because I've never played their games, I might be biased so I won't negative vote anyone.

StaticSwordsman

Smash Rookie
+1 to:

- Black Shadow/Ganondorf: The deed simply must be done. Ganon's the titular villain, and it baffles me that Sakurai's kept his clone status for three games now. Another F-Zero rep is icing on the cake.
- Ridley: Has some incredible potential to be a real standout addition if done properly. There've been a couple of decent-looking Ridley attempts scattered throughout the interwebs, but if the Project M team were ever to tackle a character from scratch...it's just gotta be Ridley. I'd love to see the PM Team's take on finally getting him into Smash.
- Tails: An aerial-focused character has always sounded interesting to me, and that'd likely be Balloon Fighter or Tails. Even though the Sonic fans are voracious, it could be another great addition to the cast. Finally fulfill the Sonic & Tails Melee rumors.
- Dixie Kong: Another long-overdue addition. Originally planned to appear in Brawl's cast.
- Micaiah: Although looking at the vote totals, I'm pretty sure she's dead-in-the-water. If Fire Emblem were to get another rep (as a longtime series fan, I'm content with Roy's return), the idea of her as a fast-paced Zelda clone really stood out to me. The down-special could be Robin's Nosferatu from Smash 4, side-b based on her personal light tome Thani (very Din's Fire-esque), up-b Warp staff (the entry animation on Ike). It would be fun from a sheer gameplay perspective, but then you'd also be making the new Ganondorf/Falcon at the same time Falcondorf demands de-cloning.

And then just general comments:

If you were to bring back the last two Melee veterans (Pichu and Young Link), Young Link could potentially be completely revamped. His neutral special could be something akin to Shulk's Monado Arts, where he cycles through the icons of various masks from MM that modify how he plays. It lasts for a certain amount of time before he has to take the mask off. Or it could be done via taunt, as you did for Samus to preserve his bow (he could have the Ice Arrows since Toon took the Fire). Down special could be the Bombchu, for variety's sake? His Boomerang could also be tweaked to work like Link's Ripping Boomerang (slower but can hit multiple times) from Smash 4. The only thing I could think of that would possibly salvage Pichu is retaining the self-damage infliction but increasing attack range and strength scaling up with damage %. That'd be an interesting "suicide character," which is what Pichu always was.

It seems that Lyn is amassing a fair amount of votes - it'd be cool to see her with Smash 4's Iai Counter.

Waluigi's had a few decent attempts, too. Could be interesting as a "Mario Sports" representative, since that's pretty much the only universe in which he exists. Side special Golf Club swing, neutral special could use a tennis racket to send back projectiles, etc.

Last edited:

Juni221

Smash Rookie
NNID
Juni221
Votes
1. Paper Mario
He's from a fun series and isn't repped yet. And honestly, I think he could be done really well.

2. Ashley
As an assist trophy in SSB4, it's nice to see her join the series, but she could've been a great second rep for the Warioware series.

3. Tetra
She played a much more important role as Tetra than when she was Toon Zelda. She's also more "iconic" if you will, and could probably be more unique than just a shrunken Zelda.

4. Lyndis
From the moveset posted, she seems like she'd be really good. She's also a fan favorite, so why not?

5. Lip
We have yet to get a Puzzle rep (that isn't a clone mind you), and Lip fits the bill.

1/2 vote

1. Pichu
While he's generally considered worse than Pikachu, there's nothing like beating friends with a character that consistently hurts itself. Assuming it's a friendly match and not tourney stuff of course.

2. Pokemon Trainer/Red
It would be amusing to see the trainer actually doing the fighting.

3. King K. Rool
We need another villain, and K. Rool is certainly a villain.

4. Toon Zelda
Even though I stated all that stuff about Tetra, it still doesn't seem like it would be right without her.

5. Ninten
I imagine he'd be a sort of luigified but still different enough character. A better Up+B is a plus.

6. Slippy
He'd be pretty cool as a Snake clone. And plus, it would kinda make sense, given how he is and how he offers to make Snake a gadget.

Ganondalf

Smash Cadet
Just throwing out there that I'd much prefer Kumatora, Duster, Paula, or Jeff over any of the Mother reps currently suggested.

Come on, If we are going to have another Psychic kid, at least make it a girl this time...
The clone needs to look exactly like ness or else it doesn't count!

This is why i only gave him a +0.5. As it stands, there are better choices for another Mother rep if it is even worthy. Paula would be neat. Why not Poo?

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Here’s another mark of Sukapon’s general superiority.
The joy mecha Flame’s throw (simply called “Air Throw”) could make a cool Uthrow for Sukapon, both in appearance and effect. It would give her a good way to control her opponent’s location, on the condition that she has good control of her own location. It would also add a more versatile meteor-throw to the game than the current crop of Falco and company’s Dthrows.
Although the original threw backwards, it may be prudent for the Smash version to throw forwards, so it rewards the advantageous position and doesn’t encourage camping.

Also, there are a couple of unique features that Sukapon could add to the game that I don’t think have been stressed enough. These are things that drive my support, from which I infer there are other players who would love a character like her (although they might not be aware that such a playstyle could happen). These potential features are her long range and focus on precision; specifically, in an essential, unsafe manner that current characters do not support.

Characters like Marth and Ivysaur are already notable for their long range, but it is achieved via disjoints. Sue, on the other hand, being unarmed, would be risking as much in attacking from afar as fast characters do by getting close. But in exchange for sacrificing that priority, she could have much more extreme range.

Things like Marth’s tippers and Zelda’s heels are already notable for requiring precision, but their sourspots are still quite large and not that bad, and are only really important (or extant, in Zelda’s case) on a couple moves. Sue’s “sourspots,” on the other hand, would be large, closeby areas where the move misses entirely, and this feature would permeate her moveset. But in exchange for being difficult just to hit with at all, the reward for landing a hit could be much greater.

Current characters all just feel worse to me in their usage of these features. Playing as them is less gratifying, playing against them is more aggravating. It’s more watered-down than what Sukapon could do, less potent and less important for them. They just don’t feel as good to me (and I suspect others) as they could, and I think Sukapon could.

As a final note, two other features I see Sukapon possessing are slow-speed high-acceleration weaving and a talent for natural dodges, both of which are currently exemplified by Jigglypuff.

Also, I feel I should reiterate that I disagree with the assessment of Sukapon as being necessarily difficult to create, as I believe she could be largely made as a clone of Peach, Luigi, Olimar, or even a fusion of the three.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Regardless of whether things would change, I feel like the voting is superfluous by now. The results of the voting have been pretty consistent and I don't foresee any major changes.
I do agree with that one. Plus, I am in agreement with the Top 5, which I think would please people for the most part.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
so it's become knowledge to me that Ganondorf's getting an overhaul in the next update - "Trust me, you guys are going to freak the **** out." - GeZ, on the subreddit. The new animations seem to show he's still being treated as a STRONK kind of guy, but I have the feeling a lot of his fixes are going to be particularly "zelda-ey" in flavor. but if it needs notable fixes as it is, why would you copy the current Ganondorf moveset into Black Shadow? i find this to be something worth considering.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Link please? I wonder what kind of shenanigans they pulled with the character.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Last edited:

KunchieMunchie

Smash Cadet
Up: Isaac (PLEASE), Saki (Wait, you're not a girl?), Skapon (can i raise this one by half a vote? Nintendo history, though.).
Down: Black Shadow/Ganondorf (I really like Ganon as is. This would be messed up to all the ganon players who chose him because they liked to play as an old man. Had Ganon started with a different moveset, I would still feel the same way about him being replaced. And Also Black Shadow is really lame. {and stupid}) , Ridley (is too skinny. Awkward hurtboxes.), primid (not much of an all star...), Tails (way 2 lame.).

kazan

Smash Apprentice
Up: Isaac (PLEASE), Saki (Wait, you're not a girl?), Skapon (can i raise this one by half a vote? Nintendo history, though.).
Down: Black Shadow/Ganondorf (I really like Ganon as is. This would be messed up to all the ganon players who chose him because they liked to play as an old man. Had Ganon started with a different moveset, I would still feel the same way about him being replaced. And Also Black Shadow is really lame. {and stupid}) , Ridley (is too skinny. Awkward hurtboxes.), primid (not much of an all star...), Tails (way 2 lame.).
prepare for the salt.
Oh yea,
+1 primid (hehe he is the ultimate all star on the inside)
+1 takamaru

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Hey guys, I noticed that Ridley has a lot of support from you all. Thus, I would like to direct some of your attention towards this project!

http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb-crusade-kinda-ridley-psa-remake.368694/

This is by far the best Ridley project I have seen in forever! Ridley fans should definitely give it a look and give the OP some feedback! I'm sure he'd appreciate it, and you will too!

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Hey guys, I noticed that Ridley has a lot of support from you all. Thus, I would like to direct some of your attention towards this project!

http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb-crusade-kinda-ridley-psa-remake.368694/

This is by far the best Ridley project I have seen in forever! Ridley fans should definitely give it a look and give the OP some feedback! I'm sure he'd appreciate it, and you will too!
Wow that really does look incredible, especially compared to previous PSAs!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah, Bagan is very talented, especially so for someone who is only 14 years old. That is prodigy level skill there.

On a sidenote, since there are multiple people counting the votes in this topic, does anyone have a list of all the people who voted for Sami?

Shaud

Smash Rookie
First post an all but, +1 to Primid. i read his moveset and everything and he seems extremely unique

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom