• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
So many bad downvotes
-1 Dixie. We already have another chimp.
-1 Ninten. Even in his own game, he is already essentially the same as Ness (though I guess it's the other way around).
-1 Tails. Sonic character.
-1 Knuckles. Sonic character.
-1 Shadow. Sonic character.
I find these reasonings questionable. And those Sonic downvotes should not be counted.
Pichu -1 (We already have SEVEN Pokemon and even then PICHU of all freaking pokemon maybe as an alt. for Pikachu)
Dixie Kong -1 (Still has very good chance of being in WiiU/3DS probably best chance out of the list)
Ridley -1 (LEIK OMG HES SO BIGGGG but seriously like Dixie has very good chance of being in WiiU/3DS)
Pichu cannot be an alt + You can't downvote for U/3D chances

-1 Saki (I don't know this one.)
While your other votes are questionable, you absolutely CANNOT downvote a character because you don't know who they are.

This isn't my job, people.

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
You know, I still hate Waluigi as a character, but reading about WALLuigi made me laugh. He's so janky he would be funny. So I'll take my downvote back at the very least.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Maybe not an alt. but a pallet swap with pichu's color that's what I meant by "alt." and I suppose you could be right about WiiU/3DS
chances.
The problem with a Pichu palette swap on Pikachu: it would not be a noticeable enough difference from Pikachu's normal color for the purpose of fighting each other. RAICHU palette swap on Pikachu would be a noticeable change though (orange fur instead of yellow, yellow cheeks instead of red). And I'm all for adding palette swaps for Pikachu and Jiggles alts instead of them just having hats.

edit: It's been pointed out to me that I'm at the post count 666. This is my Jersey Devil post :p

Last edited:

muleet

Smash Apprentice
articfox > Sorry then, I didn't know that the justification was important. I wouldn't mind if that -1 vote for Saki was withdrawn.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hmm... she just seems to me like diddy kong in a wig. From what I've seen/played she has no unique attributes separate from him. They'd have to make stuff up from scratch. Also-- and this is a notorious viewpoint-- I always viewed the DK cast as borderline 3rd party of Rare and not Nintendo; I know it sounds crazy, but I never shook that feeling. So with that perspective the two DK reps we had always seemed like the perfect amount.
Not only do I take offense to that statement about the DK Cast being "superficial 3rd party" as it were, but I also take extremely personal offense to that being a bad thing. (Implying that the Rare-created Nintendo characters deserve less than the others.)

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
+1 - Hans -- Non-represented series, beloved games, requested character, his model is in Brawl, original moveset based on Djinns, sword and Psinergy.

+1 - Black Shadow // Ganondorf -- Absolutely a must. Ganondorf deserves his own moveset, which could give even more variety to Project M and F-Zero would gain a new rep, which is something it needs.

+1 - Dark Samus -- Pretty needed. Metroid deserves more reps and Dark Samus is easy to do (there are some modders already working on it). I would love to see Dark Samus here.

+1 - Prince Ephraim -- Never see people requesting him, but I think he could be pretty good. Maybe you think Fire Emblem is overrepresented... but Ephraim uses a lance. That means he could give more variety. Not another swordsman, he uses other type of combat and that could be pretty interesting. I think it would be a better option than Lyn's by far...

+1 - Andy -- Advance Wars is one of the most beloved series... and the only have an Assist Trophy. Yep, that's all. So... a character that uses bombs, fire weapons, missiles, granades...? I would definitely love this character. Maybe they can clone him from Snake's moveset.

+1/2 - King K. Rool -- I really want him in PM. I don't see why is he so difficult to be done. I think there aren't many slow, strong characters in Smash series and this could be a good chance. But I think in terms of balancing the game he is not that easy...

+1/2 - Lip -- A famous character for Smash fans and Tetris-clone lovers. But also it's a character like Fox McCloud and Captain Falcon: they never fought anything until Smash. Maybe PMBR could make "their" character with Lip. However, it's not a needed character.

+1/2 - Ridley -- I love Ridley. I'm a big supporter of him. But I think he will be in SSB4 or as a DLC and he's actually one of the most difficult characters to put into Smash due to his complicated moveset. I think it would be better if PM takes other options. Nintendo is paying lots of designers, programmers and testers to have a moveset working -- PMBR is doing this just for pleasure. So, as a big fan of Smash, Metroid, Ridley and Project M, I think I would love to see him in PM but maybe it's better if they work in other options.

+1/2 - Balloon-Fighter -- Pretty interesting moveset and a very requested character. Problem? Too difficult to build it from scratch. I want PMBR boys focus in balancing.

+1/2 - Ninten -- Oposite of Balloon-Fighter, but same result. He would be easy to create, but... Do we need another MOTHER rep? Can Ninten give Smash more variety? Don't think so. But I think Ninten is an important figure for MOTHER and Smash fans however.

+1/2 - Saki Amamiya -- One of my loved options that won't be on SSB4 as playable. Why should he be? Interesting and original moveset, rare character, a "cult game"... I love him. Why just half-vote? Because Saki is not easy to do. Same problem as Ridley: pretty interesting, pretty awesome, pretty fapping, but maybe PMBR is very stressed with such work to do. Personally, I would love PMBR more than I do if he's in... but I would understand he won't in order to work hard in other options.

+1/2 - Skull Kid -- Overrepresented series and difficult to build. It would be original and it's a very important character in Nintendo history, but I don't see it needs to be in PM this soon.

-1 - Pichu -- No way. He was a mistake. He was a character put to be a bad one. PM's philosophy is to bring a balanced game, and Pichu breaks it. I would love to see a double-Pichu like Plusle & Minum or a Pikachu's alt costume, but not bring him back as he was in Melee.

-1 - Lyn -- Another sword from Fire Emblem... really? Fire Emblem is a huge franchise, with MANY heroes. Sothe is a thief, Ephraim uses a lance, Micaiah uses spells, some others can transform into some animals (such as dragons, giant rabbits, falcons, lions...). Do we need another sword?

-1 - Sonic characters -- I'm a huge fan of Sonic series. I have most of the games and I grew up playing Sega Genesis, but I think ONE rep for a non-Nintendo franchise is enough.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
+1 - Hans -- Non-represented series, beloved games, requested character, his model is in Brawl, original moveset based on Djinns, sword and Psinergy.

+1 - Black Shadow // Ganondorf -- Absolutely a must. Ganondorf deserves his own moveset, which could give even more variety to Project M and F-Zero would gain a new rep, which is something it needs.

+1 - Simon Belmont -- Yeah, he's not Nintendo's mascot... but Dracula's Castle isn't a Nintendo stage and it's in PM. I think he would be pretty difficult to be made, but I think PM loves Castlevania and maybe here's a surprise.

+1 - Dark Samus -- Pretty needed. Metroid deserves more reps and Dark Samus is easy to do (there are some modders already working on it). I would love to see Dark Samus here.

+1 - Prince Ephraim -- Never see people requesting him, but I think he could be pretty good. Maybe you think Fire Emblem is overrepresented... but Ephraim uses a lance. That means he could give more variety. Not another swordsman, he uses other type of combat and that could be pretty interesting. I think it would be a better option than Lyn's by far...

+1 - Andy -- Advance Wars is one of the most beloved series... and the only have an Assist Trophy. Yep, that's all. So... a character that uses bombs, fire weapons, missiles, granades...? I would definitely love this character. Maybe they can clone him from Snake's moveset.

+1 - King K. Rool -- I really want him in PM. I don't see why is he so difficult to be done. I think there aren't many slow, strong characters in Smash series and this could be a good chance.

+1 - Lip -- A famous character for Smash fans and Tetris-clone lovers. But also it's a character like Fox McCloud and Captain Falcon: they never fought anything until Smash. Maybe PMBR could make "their" character with Lip.

+1/2 - Ridley -- I love Ridley. I'm a big supporter of him. But I think he will be in SSB4 or as a DLC and he's actually one of the most difficult characters to put into Smash due to his complicated moveset. I think it would be better if PM takes other options. Nintendo is paying lots of designers, programmers and testers to have a moveset working -- PMBR is doing this just for pleasure. So, as a big fan of Smash, Metroid, Ridley and Project M, I think I would love to see him in PM but maybe it's better if they work in other options.

+1/2 - Balloon-Fighter -- Pretty interesting moveset and a very requested character. Problem? Too difficult to build it from scratch. I want PMBR boys focus in balancing.

+1/2 - Ninten -- Oposite of Balloon-Fighter, but same result. He would be easy to create, but... Do we need another MOTHER rep? Can Ninten give Smash more variety? Don't think so. But I think Ninten is an important figure for MOTHER and Smash fans however.

+1/2 - Saki Amamiya -- One of my loved options that won't be on SSB4 as playable. Why should he be? Interesting and original moveset, rare character, a "cult game"... I love him. Why just half-vote? Because Saki is not easy to do. Same problem as Ridley: pretty interesting, pretty awesome, pretty fapping, but maybe PMBR is very stressed with such work to do. Personally, I would love PMBR more than I do if he's in... but I would understand he won't in order to work hard in other options.

+1/2 - Skull Kid -- Overrepresented series and difficult to build. It would be original and it's a very important character in Nintendo history, but I don't see it needs to be in PM this soon.

-1 - Pichu -- No way. He was a mistake. He was a character put to be a bad one. PM's philosophy is to bring a balanced game, and Pichu breaks it. I would love to see a double-Pichu like Plusle & Minum or a Pikachu's alt costume, but not bring him back as he was in Melee.

-1 - Lyn -- Another sword from Fire Emblem... really? Fire Emblem is a huge franchise, with MANY heroes. Sothe is a thief, Ephraim uses a lance, Micaiah uses spells, some others can transform into some animals (such as dragons, giant rabbits, falcons, lions...). Do we need another sword?

-1 - Sonic characters -- I'm a huge fan of Sonic series. I have most of the games and I grew up playing Sega Genesis, but I think ONE rep for a non-Nintendo franchise is enough.
A couple of things:

Because there are only 5 slots left in the Clone Engine, you only get 5 full +1 votes. (You can +1/2 vote as many as you want, however).

Another thing is that the rules for Clone characters are a bit different from stages. Only characters who appeared in the game in some way (like trophies or stickers) are accepted as candidates, so characters like Simon Belmont aren't available for us.

Other than that, it looks good.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
A couple of things:

Because there are only 5 slots left in the Clone Engine, you only get 5 full +1 votes. (You can +1/2 vote as many as you want, however).

Another thing is that the rules for Clone characters are a bit different from stages. Only characters who appeared in the game in some way (like trophies or stickers) are accepted as candidates, so characters like Simon Belmont aren't available for us.

Other than that, it looks good.
Oh, thanks! I dind't see any "rules", so I do it as I wanted. But I can edit it now ;)

Ginge

Smash Ace
I agree with you, QuickRat, about Ephraim being the better choice. Or pretty much any of the Fire Emblem characters with stickers/trophies in the game (Sothe, Hector, Micaiah, Lilina, Mist, Myrrh, Ninian, etc) would add more diversity to the roster than "another Fire Emblem sword".

However, Lyn has the potential for a completely unique sword play style. And don't give me that all swords play the same when you can have a game like Soul Calibur where everyone has unique attack styles where pretty much everyone uses a sword. WHILE ALSO being the most popular Fire Emblem character available to include via the Clone Engine.

So personal bias aside for Lyn (she's the first character you meet in the first Fire Emblem I played, so I greatly liked her. Then her speed and crit rate was just godly), I personally would rather have ANY Fire Emblem rep because of my love for the series. And Lyn has always had the best support for that.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Implying the PMBR wouldn't rebalance him if he made it in.

See : Roy / Kirby / THE WHOLE ROSTER

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you, QuickRat, about Ephraim being the better choice. Or pretty much any of the Fire Emblem characters with stickers/trophies in the game (Sothe, Hector, Micaiah, Lilina, Mist, Myrrh, Ninian, etc) would add more diversity to the roster than "another Fire Emblem sword".

However, Lyn has the potential for a completely unique sword play style. And don't give me that all swords play the same when you can have a game like Soul Calibur where everyone has unique attack styles where pretty much everyone uses a sword. WHILE ALSO being the most popular Fire Emblem character available to include via the Clone Engine.

So personal bias aside for Lyn (she's the first character you meet in the first Fire Emblem I played, so I greatly liked her. Then her speed and crit rate was just godly), I personally would rather have ANY Fire Emblem rep because of my love for the series. And Lyn has always had the best support for that.
I know what you say, but it's just an opinion. I understand and respect the reasons people give for Lyn, but I would choose other options from FE series. Ephraim or Micaiah are good ones.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
+1/2 - King K. Rool -- I really want him in PM. I don't see why is he so difficult to be done. I think there aren't many slow, strong characters in Smash series and this could be a good chance. But I think in terms of balancing the game he is not that easy...
:ganondorf:,X:bowser2:,:dedede:.:ganondorf::ganondorf:,:bowser2:,:ganondorf::ganondorf:. (:ganondorf::ganondorf:)

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Ike is slow?
What am I even doing!?

IF this is just Brawl... oh... yeah ok.

Last edited:

Ginge

Smash Ace
You know what I want? A FAST villain. The only one that kinda meets that description is Metaknight, who is usually only a villain to ready Kirby for the final battle. *cue Ridley fans*

MoRkY

Smash Rookie
Not only do I take offense to that statement about the DK Cast being "superficial 3rd party" as it were, but I also take extremely personal offense to that being a bad thing. (Implying that the Rare-created Nintendo characters deserve less than the others.)
LONG LIVE NINTENDO'S VERSION OF BANJO-KAZOOIE!!!!

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
You know what I want? A FAST villain. The only one that kinda meets that description is Metaknight, who is usually only a villain to ready Kirby for the final battle. *cue Ridley fans*
Unless you're joking with the Ridley thing, how effective would he be as a fast villain? I mean, how would he have to be balanced to account for everything he has against some of his reasons to being included (Size, characterization, actual balance issues, etc.) in a Smash game?

The only thing I can imagine is playing with a similar incarnation of his boss appearance in Brawl, but have him be very light or otherwise more susceptible to KB.

Also I don't mean stir **** up about the other day, is just an honest question.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Is Lyn the only female Fire Emblem main character that isn't in the same world as Ike, Marth, or Roy? In that case, she seems like a no brainer, but Ephraim's lance seems really interesting as well. I don't know which one I want more.

Perhaps I want neither to promote other non-represented franchises. I still feel like Tom Nook is the best possible choice out of any potential clone engine choice. He can represent a franchise that is technically represented in Brawl but has no character and (for those who care) isn't some dude with a sword.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Is Lyn the only female Fire Emblem main character that isn't in the same world as Ike, Marth, or Roy? In that case, she seems like a no brainer, but Ephraim's lance seems really interesting as well. I don't know which one I want more.
Ike, Marth, and Roy are actually all in seperate worlds/continents.
Lyn technically is in Roy's world, even though she is never mentioned in his game.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I actually imagine Ridley as being on the slow side because of his size, but Dark Samus could be a good, fast villain.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Ike, Marth, and Roy are actually all in seperate worlds/continents.
Lyn technically is in Roy's world, even though she is never mentioned in his game.
I knew that about Marth, Roy, and Ike, I meant each of their seperate worlds.

About Lyn, though: I reclaim my support. +.5 to Ephraim because of lance prowess and unexplored world.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Are there any likely candidates (speaking in terms of this thread) that are even viable to be fast? Skull Kid seems like someone who'd be floaty, but not fast, and K. Rool weighs more than Donkey Kong.

Ridley could always be fast in the air, as was suggested, and I think it'd be interesting to see a villain that could actually hold his own in the air and be quick about it. (Are we counting Wario as a villain?)

Neither of the candidates for Blackondorf would be that either.

...Masked Man? :(

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
...Masked Man? :(
Wait... Is that my cue?

Provided he's a Lucas clone Claus would be one fast, offensive, bad*** mother****er.

Ready to get a combo going?

No you ain't. There's a ginger in your face and he's got a beef with Fox mains.

He's fairly popular. I wouldn't say likely, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wait... Is that my cue?

Provided he's a Lucas clone Claus would be one fast, offensive, bad*** mother****er.

Ready to get a combo going?

No you ain't. There's a ginger in your face and he's got a beef with Fox mains.

He's fairly popular. I wouldn't say likely, unfortunately.
See, I'd hope for Masked Man specifically, for laser swords and bat wings and all that. However, I doubt that's a place we're headed. :( Unless that's what you meant. (I don't think Claus as Claus is really a villain, but who even knows!)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, that sure would be awesome. He's definitely the best candidate for a definitively-fast villain character.

Although now that I think about it, they have so much creative freedom with Skull Kid, he could be fast in his own way.

So there's a couple options.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I still want Classic/ALttP/Pig Ganon in P:M. He'd be such a unique character, being heavy, probably floaty and being a projectile user.

I want more villains on the roster in general.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Fast villains? Punch-Out has many of them. Dark Samus? Don't think so... Saturos from Golden Sun series could fit. Maybe The Skull (F-Zero). Fawful (Mario & Luigi)? I find it hard to propose any fast villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom