• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Fast villains? Punch-Out has many of them. Dark Samus? Don't think so... Saturos from Golden Sun series could fit. Maybe The Skull (F-Zero). Fawful (Mario & Luigi)? I find it hard to propose any fast villain.
Nobody in Punch-Out is a villain, they're all just opposing boxers that want to win the title.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
I was actually being bitter in response to everyone's FE fandom and attempting abrasion but I like that youall've feedbacked in innocent enthusiasm lol.

Y'know, this is a tad off topic but I personally, as much as I love the Zelda series, would have rather seen Fire Emblem characters worked into the Dynasty Warriors layout. I just feel it would've worked better.
This is a good idea coming from a good point and I don't even play the FE series (obviously due to my flagrant "bias").

Looking at some of the character artwork from various FE installments I can see why people would want to see more of them in a fighter, but I think they'd belong in their own and not in smash, not more than three of them. Or again maybe a DW-style game featuring both cooperative and competitive multiplayer. Nintendo should get on that.

But yeah this lance dude is cool looking, Epraim or something? Also Marth has a WIFE who wields a GIANT HAMMER? That's pretty dope.

But yeah no more FE char's in smash please BAHAHAHAHAAHA

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
This is project M.

It's less about representation and more about playability.

I mean, If you want representation then Smash 4 is probably where you are looking. This is more of the place where characters with interesting movesets, and potentially interesting playstyles is more likely to happen than characters simply because their series is underrepresented.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that them being underrepresented takes away from their chances, but I don't think it helps their chances either.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
This is project M.

It's less about representation and more about playability.

I mean, If you want representation then Smash 4 is probably where you are looking. This is more of the place where characters with interesting movesets, and potentially interesting playstyles is more likely to happen than characters simply because their series is underrepresented.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that them being underrepresented takes away from their chances, but I don't think it helps their chances either.
I mean I explained in my downvote post a while back that I admittedly thought there were a few FE characters that might add to the flavor of the game because they had unique weapons and personas compared to the three caped swordsmen we already have. I think like, Hector is cool cuz nobody else wields an Axe, Lyn is alright cuz she's female, and then there was that lance dude and Marth's wife with the giant hammer, etc. But the thing is I'd only vote for these people if we were completely replacing some of the other FE characters. AT LEAST their models. Like I think it'd be a perfect idea to just give Hector's model to Ike's moveset, Ether and everything. I think it'd translate well.

Also I think you may be wrong about the first point-- I think the PM devs put a lot of stock in balancing representation and keeping the roster from growing redundant, more than other aspects.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Also I think you may be wrong about the first point-- I think the PM devs put a lot of stock in balancing representation and keeping the roster from growing redundant, more than other aspects.
First things first, Those were just thoughts that I posted.

Not directed at your post at all, sorry if it seemed like it was.

At most, in regards to redundancy, it might stop them from making a clone of a character that already has an existing clone, or potentially a pokemon character.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
First things first, Those were just thoughts that I posted.

Not directed at your post at all, sorry if it seemed like it was.

At most, in regards to redundancy, it might stop them from making a clone of a character that already has an existing clone, or potentially a pokemon character.
Oh alright, fair enough.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Fast villains: Vaati, Skull Kid, Ridley, Captain Syrup, Fawful.

Of course, Meta Knight is already in the game.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Fast villains: Vaati, Skull Kid, Ridley, Captain Syrup, Fawful.

Of course, Meta Knight is already in the game.
I can't believe you didn't mention Dark Samus.

Maybe Black Shadow is a fast mover. I mean if CF can run like hell just for being a racer, right?

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
OooooOo0o. Finally an interesting perspective for once, characters that could introduce rarely utilized playstyles.
We certainly do have a lot of floaty and rushdown characters, so it's nice to think of something different.

Doctor Pink

Smash Apprentice
I imagine Dark Samus being kinda like Ice Samus is right now, but faster and more angry. Dark Samus should have a Sa-X alt though. Sa-X always scared me more, but Sa-X would be a worse addition to the cast than Dark Samus. Dark Samus has already had a few lovely moveset suggestions before, so I won't bother with one. I also wanna see Richard Simmons playable in a future smash game, as Diddy's pink shirt makes him look exactly like Richard Simmons, and I already shout "Let me see you sweat!" every time I land a monkey flip grab.

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
+1 Dixie Kong - The DK series should be the number one priority for an additional rep and Dixie is a great choice being currently relevant and workable through the use of diddys model.

+1 Black Shadow/Ganondorf rework - It really makes too much sense not to do it. Black Shadow could adopt Gdorfs moveset so easily and Gdorf can finally get the moveset he deserves.

+1 Dark Samus - Metroid should be priority number 2 for a new rep after DK and I think dark Samus is the best option resource wise.

+1 Bowser Jr - one of the easiest characters to implement and while the Mario series may be over saturated, Smash is far from over saturated with villains, making Bowser Jr the next best Mario newcomer choice.

+1 Skull Kid - A similar situation to Bowser Jr. Zelda may be over saturated, but Smash is lacking in quality villains and Skull Kid would be a great one. Helps that he's a fan favorite too.

+1/2 Andy - Advance wars should have a playable character given its history with Nintendo. I would much prefer Andy to Sami as I feel Andy is far more recognizable and has a more interesting design.

+1/2 Paper Mario - If the Project M team could somehow get PM to work that would be amazing. Though I'm not confident that he would be done well enough for me to be satisfied with his inclusion. Regardless I'm definitely think he's a great choice.

+1/2 King K.Rool - Similar to Paper Mario in that I'm not confident he will be made well enough for me to be satisfied with his inclusion. I would prefer Dixie as she would probably be better represented. She's also female which is a bonus.

+1/2 Isaac - A fan favorite and would be great to see this unrepped series get a playable character.

-1 Toad - He's from an over saturated series and is just another good guy which we have plenty of. He also could at best be a clone of Mario which isn't the most interesting moveset to be honest. If another Mario character were to be added I would prefer if they were either a villain or female, so that diversity is added to the roster as a whole.

-1 Ninten - mother has enough reps and Ninten doesn't really bring much else to the table.

-1 Lyn - Fire Emblem still isn't that big of a series and 3 characters is more than sufficient, especially in comparison to other series like Metroid and DK which dwarf FE. Lyn is also another sword wielder and having 4 sword users would be terrible representation of Fire emblem as a whole.

-1 Hector - See Lyn

-1 Knuckles - 3rd party series should be kept to minimum and if any Sonic character were to be added it should be Tails.

-1 Shadow - See Knuckles.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Wow, I don't know who you are but welcome Hagrid. I don't agree with some of your votes but we seem to share a similar paradigm of logic in our char. selection.

I like your yearning for more "quality villains" but I think we can do better via choosing antagonists from other franchises. DS and BS are great and are my top 5. Though I haven't touched KKR yet because I hate him for some reason haha.

Is there a good Fire Emblem villian? I can't believe I'm asking this.

Last edited:

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I don't know who you are but welcome Hagrid.
Haha thanks. I've only just taken an interest in Project M mostly out of dissatisfaction with the way SSB4 is shaping up to be. Now I'm asking myself why it's taken me so long to play Project M because it looks great and now with the potential to include some completely new characters, it may be the Smash game I've been waiting for!

I like your yearning for more "quality villains" but I think we can do better via choosing antagonists from other franchises.
Me too. Black shadow and Dark Samus both fit that well. Though I can't think of any others that are deserving enough. Claus would give mother 3 reps which is more oversaturation than if you were to give the Mario series Bowser Jr. Black Knight would also be a 4th FE rep which is too many, though I would vastly prefer him to Lyn.

King K. Rool is the absolute ideal choice but he would be alot of work especially if you want to satisfy his many fans. I guarantee you will warm up to him if he was in the game though :) He's just so original.

In the grand scheme of things, Bowser Jr and Skull kid are solid choices.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
Some pages back I saw mention of the villain from Kirby Squeak Squad (sorry, I don't remember his name) with a pretty creative moveset, which I also think was fast and relied heavily on trickery and stuff like that, so, there you have it I have ideas and can remember (some) things!

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
Are you talking about the moveset I mentioned or the character in the game? Cuz' if you're talking the game, kirby's got infinite jumps there, along with alot of characters that were downpowered to fit the game...

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
We should just add Young Link, and clone him from Toon Link.
A clone of a clone anyone?

(dont add Young Link)
We should just add attributes from Young Link, and apply them to Toon Link.
The best of both worlds anyone?

(stop complaining Young Link supporters)
Just teasin' alex6309, I agree with you.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I think a good roster would be to simply make every incarnation of Link a separate character including young and adult OoT links.
Just so we have enough space, remove Wario, Ike, Diddy Kong, and Snake.

Who likes those characters anyway? Especially when we can have Skyward Sword Link, Young Link, Twilight Princess Link, Adult OoT Link, CDI Link, Toon Link, Hyrule Warriors Link, Cartoon Link, Classic Link, and ALTTP Link.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I think a good roster would be to simply make every incarnation of Link a separate character including young and adult OoT links.
Just so we have enough space, remove Wario, Ike, Diddy Kong, and Snake.

Who likes those characters anyway? Especially when we can have Skyward Sword Link, Young Link, Twilight Princess Link, Adult OoT Link, CDI Link, Toon Link, Hyrule Warriors Link, Cartoon Link, Classic Link, and ALTTP Link.
Convert Meta Knight into ALttP Link. ALttP has that magic cape you can get to make you invisible, so his down b is already done.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Zelda on a more serious note, I'm kinda disappointed at the lack of Midna support. Sure, Skull Kid has been in more games and the whole '#47' business has people hyped for him as the new possible Zelda rep, but I would love to see a standalone Midna more than any other Zelda character (disregarding poor ol' Vaati).

I know she has been brought up a few times, but am I really in the minority here? Also, you guys have been talking about a 'fast villain' character, and Midna is a pretty quick anti-hero...

Last edited:

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
And TP link would replace Zelda so he can transform into Wolf Link, which replace Sheik.

Shin F.

Smash Master
And TP link would replace Zelda so he can transform into Wolf Link, which replace Sheik.
Nah, see, they'll put Pokemon Trainer back for that one so he can go from TP Link -> Wolf Link + Midna -> Midna alone, then they'll cycle backwards, so it would be Midna alone -> Wolf Link + Midna -> TP Link.
Speaking of Zelda on a more serious note, I'm kinda disappointed at the lack of Midna support. Sure, Skull Kid has been in more games and the whole '#47' business has people hyped for him as the new possible Zelda rep, but I would love to see a standalone Midna more than any other Zelda character (disregarding poor ol' Vaati).

I know she has been brought up a few times, but am I really in the minority here? Also, you guys have been talking about a 'fast villain' character, and Midna is a pretty quick anti-hero...
I honestly prefer Skull Kid, but Midna would be okay.

Last edited:

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
Nah, see, they'll put Pokemon Trainer back for that one so he can go from TP Link -> Wolf Link + Midna -> Midna alone, then they'll cycle backwards, so it would be Midna alone -> Wolf Link + Mina -> TP Link.
That's better for sure, and Zant would take the place of the Pokemon Trainer, making a Twilight cloud to mask the switch!

Raijinken

Smash Master
jesus lets just make an FE fighting game and be done with it.
A million times this. I would play the heck out of that.

That said, I, too, would prefer a non-sword (even better, a mage that isn't Micaiah Sue) over Lyn, but if the votes mean we're more likely to get another FE character, then she can have all my votes.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Maybe this had already been suggested, but Skull Kid could be an awesome Peach clone. He floats, and it's possible the PMBR could edit turnips as an article enough to have them resemble deku sprouts.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Maybe this had already been suggested, but Skull Kid could be an awesome Peach clone. He floats, and it's possible the PMBR could edit turnips as an article enough to have them resemble deku sprouts.
Mewtwo was able to float without being cloned off of Peach.
I'd rather see him get some better projectiles (or command graps :cool:).

Shin F.

Smash Master
On the other hand, it would now be really easy to switch out his head model to make him actually be Hector if they changed their minds.

But yeah, he's less likely now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom