• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Since Isaac has a ton more moveset potential compared to most other suggestions, what do you guys think is the overall direction the PMBR would take with him?

Because I'm starting to feel that he might have TOO much to work with, and that the PMBR won't attempt him since the moveset they make for him might not satisfy a lot of people.

A weird concern, I know. Is there a simpler direction the PMBR might be able to take with him? I haven't been able to play Golden Sun so I wouldn't know, but seeing all these different ideas for him makes me think he's capable of a LOT and it might not all go used for him.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Since Isaac has a ton more moveset potential compared to most other suggestions, what do you guys think is the overall direction the PMBR would take with him?

Because I'm starting to feel that he might have TOO much to work with, and that the PMBR won't attempt him since the moveset they make for him might not satisfy a lot of people.

A weird concern, I know. Is there a simpler direction the PMBR might be able to take with him? I haven't been able to play Golden Sun so I wouldn't know, but seeing all these different ideas for him makes me think he's capable of a LOT and it might not all go used for him.
Just one more reason to restrict him to his iconic Earth abilities and not the powers of his team mates. They don't have to use them all, though. I mean, Mario doesn't use his raccoon tail or tanooki suit, but you don't see people complaining about that.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Just one more reason to restrict him to his iconic Earth abilities and not the powers of his team mates. They don't have to use them all, though. I mean, Mario doesn't use his raccoon tail or tanooki suit, but you don't see people complaining about that.
Ah, good point. I'm also guessing there's a workable way to use his Earth powers feasibly.

So, a question to all: Would you be satisfied with Isaac if he just used his Earth attacks? I would, that's a cool-sounding fighter to me.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I could actually imagine Isaac being an Ike that controls space better.

The analogy is flawed because Ike himself is an ace at space control. His wide hard-hitting hitboxes and the threat of them at different lengths actually zone and control space almost as much as a Snake that has layed out his traps on a battlefield, with the proper spacing I mean. He also however has these awkward holes in his reach due not being able to deal with pressure close to him, nor being able to put out hitboxes fast enough in spite of great ground/air mobility, dashdance and Quickdraw.

I imagine Isaac to be sort of the converse of this. Sure, he should share Ike's difficulty with pressure to an extent, but I feel like he should trade Ike's great ground mobility for the ability to put out hitboxes faster. Like, on a sliding scale of Ganon|Falcon, Ike's mobility is Falcon while his attack speed is Ganon, and Isaac might want to switch that up a bit. An earth-shaking DSmash that excels at tech chases, or great OoS/defensive options that helps get people off him. Awesome tech chases without really having to move much. Make him better at punishes than combos (Ike does not struggle with combo'ing when properly played, it just requiers a different way of thinking and using his tools). Ike is "I can get to you, but can't you off me." Isaac should be "I may not get to you, but you don't want to be near me either." Make the ground a place to fear around Isaac.

Is it any more obvious I think he's going to be an Ike clone

Bazkip

Smash Master
All these people saying Isaac should have a summon as a final smash
Please

Nothing is more badass than that. And since only Felix, Matthew and him can wield the Sol Blade, it's far more unique to him than any summon.

Also I think a summon (the higher order ones, anywho, and I wouldn't want a lesser one) might just be too complex and too much work for the PMBR to reasonably add, Megiddo is far more feasible

Last edited:

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Ah, good point. I'm also guessing there's a workable way to use his Earth powers feasibly.

So, a question to all: Would you be satisfied with Isaac if he just used his Earth attacks? I would, that's a cool-sounding fighter to me.
Earth attacks, classic psynergy moves like Move (which is demonstrated in Brawl), his sword... and Flint the djinn needs to make a prevalent appearance. I'd like all his elemental moves to stay Earth based in P:M though, despite the fact he possesses the ability to utilize all four elements in the Golden Sun games.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
I could actually imagine Isaac being an Ike that controls space better.

The analogy is flawed because Ike himself is an ace at space control. His wide hard-hitting hitboxes and the threat of them at different lengths actually zone and control space almost as much as a Snake that has layed out his traps on a battlefield, with the proper spacing I mean. He also however has these awkward holes in his reach due not being able to deal with pressure close to him, nor being able to put out hitboxes fast enough in spite of great ground/air mobility, dashdance and Quickdraw.

I imagine Isaac to be sort of the converse of this. Sure, he should share Ike's difficulty with pressure to an extent, but I feel like he should trade Ike's great ground mobility for the ability to put out hitboxes faster. Like, on a sliding scale of Ganon|Falcon, Ike's mobility is Falcon while his attack speed is Ganon, and Isaac might want to switch that up a bit. An earth-shaking DSmash that excels at tech chases, or great OoS/defensive options that helps get people off him. Awesome tech chases without really having to move much. Make him better at punishes than combos (Ike does not struggle with combo'ing when properly played, it just requiers a different way of thinking and using his tools). Ike is "I can get to you, but can't you off me." Isaac should be "I may not get to you, but you don't want to be near me either." Make the ground a place to fear around Isaac.

Is it any more obvious I think he's going to be an Ike clone
If Isaac were to be an Ike clone, then he couldn't have much, if any projectiles.
As I have stated before, I have never played a Golden Sun game, but I have gathered that Isaac is an earth mage, so he probably wouldn't need projectiles too much, but I have also heard that he uses other types of magic as well.
I think cloning Isaac from Link would be a much better idea because he would still have a sword, but he could also have projectiles.
P.S. If the PMBR makes a clone of a character with a sword, can they change the dimensions of the sword?

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
If Isaac were to be an Ike clone, then he couldn't have much, if any projectiles.
As I have stated before, I have never played a Golden Sun game, but I have gathered that Isaac is an earth mage, so he probably wouldn't need projectiles too much, but I have also heard that he uses other types of magic as well.
I think cloning Isaac from Tink would be a much better idea because he would still have a sword, but he could also have projectiles.
P.S. If the PMBR makes a clone of a character with a sword, can they change the dimensions of the sword?
Isaac could work without too many articles, but I would also prefer him to be cloned from someone with more, like Link or Pit. And yes, swords are just an extension of the character model, so they can do whatever they want with them.

heroscott

Smash Rookie
Here, I'll go ahead and go off your template and put my own thoughts from before in there, and some new ones and whatever input I'll have.

Skull Kid
Movement
Entrance - Skull Kid, appearing lifeless on the ground, rises in an unsettling manner while cackling. Arms would raise first, as if raised by a puppeteer's strings.

Idle - He stands while looking around and occasionally shaking his head / mask back and forth. (Unchanged. Agreed)

Walk - Tiptoes like some kind of prankster, as an homage to Skull Kid's normal behavior.

Run - Skull Kid dashes on the ground, in the style of TP Skull Kid. (Agreed/Unchanged)

Jumps - Agreed with the hover, but think he should spin with whimsy when he jumps. Let's not forget, the Mask may be in control, but it does let Skull Kid take the reigns most of the time.

Standard Attacks
Jab - Borrowed from Lucas, with Darkness instead of PSI. (Agreed, why not, I've nothing better)
F tilt - Hits with his lantern from Twilight Princess, dealing a small bit of fire damage (Smart)
Up Tilt - Does a backflip/bicycle kick of some kind
Down Tilt - I don't know, throws jacks or some **** at the ground. Tacks, maybe. In all honesty, a tentacle sweep from the mask could be cool, and would serve as a launcher.

N Air - The same aura that surrounds Skull Kid when he calls the Moon down could surround him here, dealing multiple weak hits, similarly to Mewtwo.
F Air - A tentacle whip, similar to Ivysaur.
B Air - A mule kick of some sort, or even a dance pose of some kind. Let's do the dance pose.
D Air - Stomps multiple times at the ground, kind of like how Snake does it, but Skull Kid would clearly be mad, bro.
U Air - A magical flash above him, kind of like Zelda.

Smash Attacks
F Smash - Unleashes a blast from his horn.
U Smash - Some kind of dark explosion.
D Smash - Tentacle whips to both sides.

Special Attacks
Neutral B - Blow Dart - burst of three darts, ala Ocarina of Time. Low damage, minor hitstun, major annoyance.

Side B - Whatever I said before. If I didn't say anything, then Majora's Mask could reach out and pull you in similarly to Zero Suit's forward B.

Down B - A deku nut, which would be pulled and thrown like Link's bombs, only they'd explode if they hit the ground (and do minor damage and knockback if they make contact with a player) and stun opponents in the blast zone, like Ivy's down-b. This would give Skull Kid access to the powerful AGT and glidetoss tech.

Up B - I think Skull Kid could simply warp, just like Sheik or Zelda. Probably more like Zelda, with more powerful hitboxes with a shorter distance traveled.

Final Smash - The Moon comes crashing down. Modified PK Starstorm?

Grab
Grab - Mask tentacles tether/grab
Pummel - Squeezes with the tentacles/burns with the torch (at the same time)
U Throw - Does a handstand and kicks upward, propelling you up like Sheik's U-throw
D Throw - Dances on the opponent, like Ness
F Throw - A whip throw, like Ivy
B Throw - Crosses arms and casually tosses the opponent up and behind with the tentacles. Mad style. Mad casual.

Taunt 1 - Tatl and Tael fly around him a moment, then hide in his hat.
Taunt 2 - He takes out the Ocarina, blows it a sec, then laughs and puts it away.
Taunt 3 - He floats in midair with his arms crossed while laughing.

I would want Tatl and Tael to be incorporated in his moveset though....

Fortress

Smash Master
I don't see how they could be. EXCEPT in a JAB. They just BOP you. I'm down for that. You could even use the sound that Tatl does when she slams the door at the start of the game.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I don't see how they could be. EXCEPT in a JAB. They just BOP you. I'm down for that. You could even use the sound that Tatl does when she slams the door at the start of the game.
That would be perfect. His jab wouldn't even need to change from what it is now, it would just have him send out Tatl and Tael instead of darkness/PSI.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Speaking only on krystal, she is more popular than dixie according to our poll here at smashboards (that has been shown in alot of places) so she is pretty darn popular but... very unpopular as well :S
I'm willing to look past the furry scantiness if it means a non-clone starfox character. Remember she has that staff as an option, peeps. Also, her starfox assault model was much less scanty. Why not make that the ALTERNATE costume. HMMM?

Also a buddy said lyn was being looked at, so i suggest..

her 1 2 3 4 string from FE's Blade lord Lyn attack. She sorta comes into the air a little bit slices 3x, and one phase thru slash. I figure you may wanna do the last 3 of the slices, as a jab string, the last one pushing her thru the opponent, and at higher % it wud send them >^ diagonal upwards over her head, and at lower %, it'd kinda drag them with her slightly, but leave them behind her a short distance. Or, perhaps just the first 3 semi aerial slices, and use the phase thru slash as a side smash eh? Ehhh?? :D

Edit: Holy hell 271 pages, i was on page 15..

Last edited:

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Dixie's an honorable mention if only because she was part of the F7 to begin with, though her merit as a character in Smash is beyond me. I'm not sure what she could bring to the table that Diddy is not already.

I could recap on my proposed moveset for Skull Kid to get the ball rolling here. Expect an edit on this post.
Agreed, why the hell do people want dixie???

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I'm willing to look past the furry scantiness if it means a non-clone starfox character. Remember she has that staff as an option, peeps. Also, her starfox assault model was much less scanty. Why not make that the ALTERNATE costume. HMMM?

Also a buddy said lyn was being looked at, so i suggest..

her 1 2 3 4 string from FE's Blade lord Lyn attack. She sorta comes into the air a little bit slices 3x, and one phase thru slash. I figure you may wanna do the last 3 of the slices, as a jab string, the last one pushing her thru the opponent, and at higher % it wud send them >^ diagonal upwards over her head, and at lower %, it'd kinda drag them with her slightly, but leave them behind her a short distance. Or, perhaps just the first 3 semi aerial slices, and use the phase thru slash as a side smash eh? Ehhh?? :D

Edit: Holy hell 271 pages, i was on page 15..
Wow that was awhile ago lol, still support both Krystal and Lyn though.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Alright, I've been thinking about something and I kinda want to go on a rant here, so bear with me.

Few, and preferably none, of the clone characters should be gimmicky.
Now what do I mean by this? Well, look at Sm4sh newcomers. We have a character who has projectiles on his normals, someone who appears to have wonky hitboxes, a superframe glass canon, and a puppeteer. Only one character feels natural compared to previous smash games.
Now let me just say, this isn't a problem. Sm4sh is taking the series in different directions when it comes to newcomers. More power to it.

But Project M should NOT follow in this direction. I feel the basic characters, heck even the clone characters to an extent, offer something "raw" per say. If we look at Roy's trailer, it's nothing too special. His moveset got some nice buffs but he still plays like a typical Melee character. Honestly I found it exciting, and I hope I speak for more then myself, it offered a character that focuses on the game's mechanics put in specific direction rather then something that makes the character himself differ from anything. I don't want to say that these "gimmick" characters are forced per say, but they are a different direction then what I think would be healthy for Project M's meta.

I'd like the Project M'comers to capture the feel of Melee and such. Sm4sh is going a different direction and while I don't think it's a bad direction per say, Project M should go in a different direction. Sure, nothing will play like Lucario!M, but offering characters that have a Smash feel is far more important then characters that push themselves in different directions. I know this may sound convoluted, I'm not the best at explaining these things. I simply feel Project M newcomers should epitomize what made Melee great instead of pushing itself in different directions for the sake of being different.

TL;DR, simple is better for the newcomers.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Can't agree. I say do whatever as long as it's interesting and it's competitive.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Alright, I've been thinking about something and I kinda want to go on a rant here, so bear with me.

Few, and preferably none, of the clone characters should be gimmicky.
Now what do I mean by this? Well, look at Sm4sh newcomers. We have a character who has projectiles on his normals, someone who appears to have wonky hitboxes, a superframe glass canon, and a puppeteer. Only one character feels natural compared to previous smash games.
Now let me just say, this isn't a problem. Sm4sh is taking the series in different directions when it comes to newcomers. More power to it.

But Project M should NOT follow in this direction. I feel the basic characters, heck even the clone characters to an extent, offer something "raw" per say. If we look at Roy's trailer, it's nothing too special. His moveset got some nice buffs but he still plays like a typical Melee character. Honestly I found it exciting, and I hope I speak for more then myself, it offered a character that focuses on the game's mechanics put in specific direction rather then something that makes the character himself differ from anything. I don't want to say that these "gimmick" characters are forced per say, but they are a different direction then what I think would be healthy for Project M's meta.

I'd like the Project M'comers to capture the feel of Melee and such. Sm4sh is going a different direction and while I don't think it's a bad direction per say, Project M should go in a different direction. Sure, nothing will play like Lucario!M, but offering characters that have a Smash feel is far more important then characters that push themselves in different directions. I know this may sound convoluted, I'm not the best at explaining these things. I simply feel Project M newcomers should epitomize what made Melee great instead of pushing itself in different directions for the sake of being different.

TL;DR, simple is better for the newcomers.
So you're saying you want a simple character? Like Dixie? I can't agree, I'd rather have a bad ass earth fighter than something that is just 'normal' I'm sure other people also want a new, amazing experience with unique characters. I don't think any one wants a normal character that isn't unique :/

MLGF

Smash Lord
So you're saying you want a simple character? Like Dixie? I can't agree, I'd rather have a bad *** earth fighter than something that is just 'normal' I'm sure other people also want a new, amazing experience with unique characters. I don't think any one wants a normal character that isn't unique :/
I'm not supportive of Dixie. Honestly I don't find Diddy interesting enough to support ANOTHER.
I do support Isaac, I've been pretty avid of him too. I just think it'd be preferable if he played on a basic level rather then having some sort of gimmick for the sake of it. I'm not saying he should be bland, but I want him to feel like he'd fit in Melee's more down to earth cast.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I'm not supportive of Dixie. Honestly I don't find Diddy interesting enough to support ANOTHER.
I do support Isaac, I've been pretty avid of him too. I just think it'd be preferable if he played on a basic level rather then having some sort of gimmick for the sake of it. I'm not saying he should be bland, but I want him to feel like he'd fit in Melee's more down to earth cast.
Oh ok I see what you're saying now, my apologies

Szion

Smash Journeyman
+1 Isaac.

(Also +1 krystal/Lyn , if i didnt mention it before...)
-1 Dixie/Pichu.(If i didnt mention that either..)

Idk what ppl see in dixie kong, other than Hair attacks that'll look like Fox's Dtilt.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I want him to feel like he'd fit in Melee's more down to earth cast.
Ah ha, I see what you did there.

What is it that you're considering a 'gimmick'? The only thing I've seen suggested for him that's close to that is his strong ground game and weaker air game. And that makes perfect sense to me.
+1 Isaac.

(Also +1 krystal/Lyn , if i didnt mention it before...)
-1 Dixie/Pichu.(If i didnt mention that either..)

Idk what ppl see in dixie kong, other than Hair attacks that'll look like Fox's Dtilt.
You have to give reasons for all downvotes, now. The Dixie one you said you don't get what people see in her, but you didn't give one for Pichu.

Last edited:

Ginge

Smash Ace
Dixie Kong is capable of being a good mix between Diddy and Donkey Kong. I have a lot of respect for the Donkey Kong Country series as it was my childhood. It would be twenty times better than another Spacies semi-clone like Wolf or a third version of Link.

- She could have DK's ability to hold enemies and move around as cargo in her ponytail.
- Her helicopter spin recovery can be similar to DK's Up-B. Perhaps with a little vertical boost as seen in the Tropical Freeze trailer.
- A lot of Diddy's speed / basic attacks.
- Possibly mix in a few things from Tiny Kong in DK64 if necessary such as her feather gun
- Final Smash could be playing her guitar like she did upon winning a level in DKC2.

Dixie Kong would actually be MAJOR hype for me. Third only to Lyn and Isaac.

ScrubKing

Smash Rookie
I don't mean to turn this into a rather pessimistic discussion, but I think a few things need to be said.

It's best if the PMBR do not add any new characters in the next release or so until SSB4 hits shelves, along with what characters make up the roster for that game. The PMBR would be quite disappointed if they decided to work on a new character and have it nearly complete, only to have Sakurai show off the same character in the next weekly update.

Though Isaac is a good candidate for the clone engine, keep in mind that he could also make a likely appearance in SSB4's roster, as dream-crushing as that sounds. Actually, any character on the current clone-engine list may end up being playable in SSB4, considering Sakurai's unpredictability (lolwiifittrainer). It's best if the PMBR simply focus on optimizing the engine, adding new costumes, new modes, or make some small tweaks to the cast. Adding a new character is really risky at this point since SSB4 is still in development. They already took a big risk with Roy and Mewtwo.

There is also the likely possibility that SSB4 could be delayed (like with brawl) for whatever reason. Why do I bring this up? Well, here's another thing to remember; the Smash Dojo didn't reveal the last few secret characters in brawl until its release date. So even if Sakurai might seemingly be done with announcing newcomers, there's a small chance that he probably sneaked in few characters into SSB4, and we wouldn't know about (unless we get a credible leak that reveals the entire roster, similar with what happened with Brawl) until the last minute. Taking all this into account, along with the time it takes to create a competitively-viable character, well, it could be a while before we get a new character.

I'm fine with that though. I'd rather wait a long time for a new fighter than have the PMBR risk getting sued and having all their hard work go to waste.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I don't mean to turn this into a rather pessimistic discussion, but I think a few things need to be said.

It's best if the PMBR do not add any new characters in the next release or so until SSB4 hits shelves, along with what characters make up the roster for that game. The PMBR would be quite disappointed if they decided to work on a new character and have it nearly complete, only to have Sakurai show off the same character in the next weekly update.

Though Isaac is a good candidate for the clone engine, keep in mind that he could also make a likely appearance in SSB4's roster, as dream-crushing as that sounds. Actually, any character on the current clone-engine list may end up being playable in SSB4, considering Sakurai's unpredictability (lolwiifittrainer). It's best if the PMBR simply focus on optimizing the engine, adding new costumes, new modes, or make some small tweaks to the cast. Adding a new character is really risky at this point since SSB4 is still in development. They already took a big risk with Roy and Mewtwo.

There is also the likely possibility that SSB4 could be delayed (like with brawl) for whatever reason. Why do I bring this up? Well, here's another thing to remember; the Smash Dojo didn't reveal the last few secret characters in brawl until its release date. So even if Sakurai might seemingly be done with announcing newcomers, there's a small chance that he probably sneaked in few characters into SSB4, and we wouldn't know about (unless we get a credible leak that reveals the entire roster, similar with what happened with Brawl) until the last minute. Taking all this into account, along with the time it takes to create a competitively-viable character, well, it could be a while before we get a new character.

I'm fine with that though. I'd rather wait a long time for a new fighter than have the PMBR risk getting sued and having all their hard work go to waste.
You don't have to speak for PMBR. They work professionally, so speaking out like this is to assume they do not have the intelligence to make such a decision themselves. People have already considered every point you've brought up far before your concerns were even voiced. The PMBR gave us the word that characters may or not be made, and the character would be chosen by popularity. So what we do here is completely irrelevant to what PMBR decides to do. All we are doing is showing them what characters we want if their plan to add characters ever does come into play.

Another point to bring up is that PMBR has already stated that if they have began work on a character that was not announced in SSB4 prior to their work, they will not remove said character. They are very clear on their objective and don't need us to hold their hands through the process. They are intelligent tech wizards, some already in the business of game design, that have vast knowledge over the copyright laws. It is very noble of you to be concerned, but let them do their job, and let us be fans.

ScrubKing

Smash Rookie
You don't have to speak for PMBR. They work professionally, so speaking out like this is to assume they do not have the intelligence to make such a decision themselves.
That was not my intention, and if I came across like that, my apologies to them and anyone else I might have offended.

The PMBR gave us the word that characters may or not be made, and the character would be chosen by popularity. So what we do here is completely irrelevant to what PMBR decides to do. All we are doing is showing them what characters we want if their plan to add characters ever does come into play.
...character would be chosen by popularity.
...showing them what characters we want...
...completely irrelevant to what PMBR decides to do.
Kinda contradicted yourself there, eh? Haha, just nitpicking for fun, I know what you meant. :p

At any rate, if my post came across as the "stop having fun" kinda message, again, apologies. I felt I had to bring up a few concerns. Instead, I ended up playing the role of Captain Obvious, huh?

Another point to bring up is that PMBR has already stated that if they have began work on a character that was not announced in SSB4 prior to their work, they will not remove said character.
That's what scares me. If such a scenario happens, wouldn't that make them bigger targets for a cease and desist letter? Nintendo might go after them, and seeing as how they won't remove said character, it won't end well...

...but let them do their job, and let us be fans.
How about... no.

:troll:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Kinda contradicted yourself there, eh? Haha, just nitpicking for fun, I know what you meant. :p
...if their plan to add characters ever does come into play.
I'm pretty sure I made it completely clear what I mean. We are showing PMBR our most popular choices, and pretty much organizing a community wishlist. This does not mean they will be picked. Our poll is completely irrelevant to the final decision PMBR makes. That does not mean we can not show them what the community wants. Not sure how that is considered a contradiction.

... I ended up playing the role of Captain Obvious...
Pretty much. Nothing you've said is a concern that hasn't already been voiced.

That's what scares me. If such a scenario happens, wouldn't that make them bigger targets for a cease and desist letter? Nintendo might go after them, and seeing as how they won't remove said character, it won't end well...
Man, they were standing on muddy ground the moment Project M became part of the tournament scene. Worrying about something like that is pointless, because all decisions are made by PMBR. Not the fans. As long as they use characters that are licensed in Brawl, there shouldn't really be much of a problem.

How about... no.
You won't make it far here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom