• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R&B

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone brought up the Mayor of Simcity?
I mean he has a lot of things that could work, upsmash would sprout three mini skyscrapers momentarily, side b would spawn a cop car as a grounded projectile up b would have him grab onto a helicopter,
Things like that?

Shin F.

Smash Master
How about Birdo?
Why? There are already more deserving and unique Mario and Yoshi characters. Toad, Waluigi, Bowser Jr, Kamek, and even (dare I say) Daisy would all be better choices, in my opinion. Granted, Birdo would still be pretty high on the list, but there are higher characters. Taking into account the extended Mario universe, Ashley and Dixie Kong, possibly K Rool, would also be better choices.

Although, I suppose she is a better choice in that she'd be an easy clone. Just change Yoshi's physics and stats and change Egg Lay to Egg Spit and heyo, you got a Birdo.

Last edited:

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Or because he didn't exist until Kid Icarus: Uprising, which came out AFTER Brawl. The criteria is that the character can't be voted on unless they made an appearance in the original version of Brawl.
Lol I was talking about Magnus being in SSB4 not Project M.........when the mention of Palutena came up

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
The poll, assuming I'm looking at the right one has Bowser Jr. as the most popular choice for new Mario entrant, that's interesting. Anyway, how about E. Gadd? I'm not sure if he appeared in brawl at all but you could give him an interesting moveset based around his gadgets and such.

Kid Icarus Uprising's controls weren't bad, they just took some getting used to.
Apologise to everyone who tried to play that game while being left handed.

Shin F.

Smash Master
The poll, assuming I'm looking at the right one has Bowser Jr. as the most popular choice for new Mario entrant, that's interesting. Anyway, how about E. Gadd? I'm not sure if he appeared in brawl at all but you could give him an interesting moveset based around his gadgets and such.
He wasn't a trophy or sticker at all.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
Damn, I thought we'd actually have a new idea for once. I should have figured as much though, it probably would have already been brought up otherwise.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
He wasn't a trophy or sticker at all.
Damn, I thought we'd actually have a new idea for once. I should have figured as much though, it probably would have already been brought up otherwise.
Poltergust 3000 Trophy description -"A vacuum cleaner developed by Professor Elvin Gadd of the E. Gadd Science Corporation. He gives it to Luigi, who uses it to trap ghosts in a haunted mansion after stunning them with his flashlight. It also absorbs elements like water, ice, or fire that it can then shoot out. An optional accessory to this fine product is a machine that converts the trapped ghosts into portraits."

F.L.U.D.D. Trophy description -"A multifunction water cannon invented by Professor Elvin Gadd that Mario totes like a backpack. Since F.L.U.D.D. is able to converse with Mario, it's believed to be equipped with some kind of artificial intelligence. With special nozzles, F.L.U.D.D. can be used like a jet pack to reach high places or for high-speed swimming."

The criteria calls for the characters appearance in some form. Text is a form.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Poltergust 3000 Trophy description -"A vacuum cleaner developed by Professor Elvin Gadd of the E. Gadd Science Corporation. He gives it to Luigi, who uses it to trap ghosts in a haunted mansion after stunning them with his flashlight. It also absorbs elements like water, ice, or fire that it can then shoot out. An optional accessory to this fine product is a machine that converts the trapped ghosts into portraits."

F.L.U.D.D. Trophy description -"A multifunction water cannon invented by Professor Elvin Gadd that Mario totes like a backpack. Since F.L.U.D.D. is able to converse with Mario, it's believed to be equipped with some kind of artificial intelligence. With special nozzles, F.L.U.D.D. can be used like a jet pack to reach high places or for high-speed swimming."

The criteria calls for the characters appearance in some form. Text is a form.
I never said he didn't appear. I very specifically worded my statement as "he wasn't a trophy or a sticker" precisely because I knew his name was there. But it's debatable whether this constitutes the character appearing. You can reference something without it actually being there. You could argue that E. Gadd himself doesn't appear in the game, only his name does. Only PMBR can clarify whether text constitutes an appearance, which is why I didn't bother to bring up those descriptions.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I never said he didn't appear. I very specifically worded my statement as "he wasn't a trophy or a sticker" precisely because I knew his name was there. But it's debatable whether this constitutes the character appearing. You can reference something without it actually being there. You could argue that E. Gadd himself doesn't appear in the game, only his name does. Only PMBR can clarify whether text constitutes an appearance, which is why I didn't bother to bring up those descriptions.
Never said you that you did. Just not letting HayabusaTaichou's hopes die that easily and pointing it out to you just in case it expanded on the possibility of the character being discussed.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Never said you that you did. Just not letting HayabusaTaichou's hopes die that easily and pointing it out to you just in case it expanded on the possibility of the character being discussed.
Just explaining my reasoning for not bringing it up. Didn't want us to get all hype over a character before PMBR clarifies, because otherwise we could come up with some awesome idea that unknowingly doesn't fall in line with the rules.

Last edited:

Kuroda

Smash Rookie
I don't mind any new additions to the roster as long as we don't lose any of the current 41. I just like having all characters carry over, it's probably the only reason I may want to see pichu and young link integrated somehow.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I don't mind any new additions to the roster as long as we don't lose any of the current 41. I just like having all characters carry over, it's probably the only reason I may want to see pichu and young link integrated somehow.
Young Link was integrated - as Toon Link. Also, you don't need to worry about losing anyone. PMBR wouldn't just cut an established PM character.

Last edited:

R&B

Smash Apprentice
I think Tom Nook would be cool if they established an ability like Peaches for him,
upon pressing down b he would reach into his pocket and pull out a random tool for use as a weapon, a net, a shovel ect.
His unarmed jab and smash attacks would be weak, and his armed jab and smash would be stronger than average, but his grabs would be mediocre, much like stitch face, Tom would have golden tools that would appear from time to time.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
So I recently was very curious about a certain female Assist Trophy character and decided to watch gameplay of said character's game...

I have to say, I wasn't expecting much at first. She turned out to be quite an interesting character. Very unique gameplay for such a singular mechanic. I could see a lot of potential for her as a P:M candidate. +1/2 Vote for Jill.

Mesuxelf

Smash Rookie
I've always wanted Knuckle Joe as a playable character, but, like Waluigi, he was an assist trophy. Maybe he'll pull a Little Mac and be playable in SSB4...

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
I've always wanted Knuckle Joe as a playable character, but, like Waluigi, he was an assist trophy. Maybe he'll pull a Little Mac and be playable in SSB4...
I've become much more pessimistic with that roster...........For the first time I really don't know who to expect in that game.......or who will convince me to get a Wii U. I ain't getting no game just for Little Mac (surprisingly I'm not hyped by Mega Man for some odd reason)

Unfortunately I think Knuckle Joe is going to get shunted as well..........most people don't seem him past "generic enemy"

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Unfortunately I think Knuckle Joe is going to get shunted as well..........most people don't seem him past "generic enemy"
Well that's what he is, so
I'm not trying to shoot you down but the only thing Knuckle Joe really has going for him was that he was an Assist Trophy. And Lakitu was an Assist Trophy. Some things are better left how they are. *sniff* Like Waluigi, apparently *cries to sleep*

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm not trying to shoot you down but the only thing Knuckle Joe really has going for him was that he was an Assist Trophy. And Lakitu was an Assist Trophy. Some things are better left how they are. *sniff* Like Waluigi, apparently *cries to sleep*
Well, Knuckle Joe could be the Project M version of Little Mac, I suppose, the same way Ray would be the PM answer to Mega Man. But he would feel awfully generic for just being a minion.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I've become much more pessimistic with that roster...........For the first time I really don't know who to expect in that game.......or who will convince me to get a Wii U. I ain't getting no game just for Little Mac (surprisingly I'm not hyped by Mega Man for some odd reason)

Like arcticfox8 said, that is really all he is. Characters like Toad, Waddle Dee, and Knuckle Joe are about as important as the Primids in the Subspace Emissary. Glorified minions are still minions.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Like arcticfox8 said, that is really all he is. Characters like Toad, Waddle Dee, and Knuckle Joe are about as important as the Primids in the Subspace Emissary. Glorified minions are still minions.
Hey whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa
WHOA
Toad and Waddle Dee may be minions but they're playable minions. In the main series, too. Toad is playable in Super Mario Bros 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, New Super Mario Bros U, and Super Mario 3D World. Waddle Dee was playable in Kirby's Return to Dreamland and he had a SPEAR. YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
It's really about what is going to be disregarded but I'll put these here:

http://youtu.be/MyvhnPxqPzA (technically still playable in the snes version but they made a mode here in the DS port dedicated to that, Starring him with others playable *check the intro*)

http://youtu.be/Q_TDxwVT53g (This will probably be immediately disregarded)

http://youtu.be/HnjygIqvVPY (And of course the assist trophy, like you guys mentioned *This is actually an early PSA over an alloy*)

But yeah that's pretty much it............the 2nd link is probably going to be disregarded since its an Anime and has no effect on the main game which sucks because that's where more of his greatness as a character comes from and why anybody would want him as another/thelast Kirby character. I've honestly never seen a Kirby character give themselves that much importance to their character at the same level or close level to Kirby, Metaknight and King DDD. Usually the rest feel like sidekicks (that's just my opinion though)

If ya still feel the same, it's cool. I don't really want to get into a "Back and Forth". There's too much of that in the Smash community, I get maaad exhausted lol.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Hey whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa
WHOA
Toad and Waddle Dee may be minions but they're playable minions. In the main series, too. Toad is playable in Super Mario Bros 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, New Super Mario Bros U, and Super Mario 3D World. Waddle Dee was playable in Kirby's Return to Dreamland and he had a SPEAR. YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
And Yoshi's were sacrificed for a 2nd jump. Oh wait.....They had their own game.

Toad and Waddle Dee are just minions, playable or not. If you want to argue that logic, Kafei was playable in Majora's Mask, Makar, Medley, and the Seagulls were playable in Wind Waker, the many animal friends of Donkey Kong were playable, almost every minion in Kirby has been playable, the list goes on. Toad and Waddle Dee are still glorified minions. The 4th wheel in the group. The back-up tire you bring when you have a flat. The glass of poor faucet water when you run out of decent flavored drinks.

Not a single group I know would be hype about Toad or Waddle Dee's inclusions. Especially in the case of Project M. And the fact that Peach and King Dedede use them as weapons and meat shields does not make the case any better.

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
I think some assist trophies could have potential to be upgraded.

This is a list of all the assist trophies in the game. I will be listing a brief explanation of my stance on the characters I think have potential to be playable, even if it is very slim.

Andross,
Devil,
Dr. Wright,
Excite Bike,
Hammer Bro,
Helirin,
Jeff,
Jill,
Kat and Anna,
Knuckle Joe, (He has a lot of moves, even he has to borrow from Fighter Kirby)
Lakitu and Spinies,
Little Mac, (as seen in Smash 4)
Lyn, (While a fan favorite to a lot (I'm not one), I don't see what she could do that Marth/Roy can't. Educate me if you have an idea.)
Metroid,
Mr. Resetti,
Nintendog,
Saki Amamiya,
Samurai Goroh,
Starfy,
Tingle,
Waluigi, (You guys already know my opinions on him, and I regard him very highly. I will keep presenting my case until this battle is over.)
Barbara,
Gray Fox,
Infantry and Tanks,
Isaac, (Probably the most popular candidate for an assist trophy promotion. The Djinni he can use can vary his attacks greatly. I don't mind him being added, especially if he doesn't get into Smash 4.)
Ray Mk III,
Shadow (Not a Shadow fan, but he does have a diverse moveset, and some pretty good PSA's on brawlvault. IMO, i don't think Sonic (Metal gear as well) should get another representative because Smash Bros. is mainly Nintendo franchises with some third party. Sonic does his job of representing his franchise well enough, but if Sakurai adds a second Sonic (or Mega Man) character to Smash 4, I may have to alter my stance.)

One issue to all of these though is if the PMBR want to be a perfectionist and replace their old assist trophy model with a character swap, or make a new AT entirely. Otherwise, these are my opinions on who have potential to be upgraded of the AT's. (As a side note, I have never played Sin and Punishment or Custom Robo, so I cannot vouch for them.)

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master

This is a list of all the assist trophies in the game. I will be listing a brief explanation of my stance on the characters I think have potential to be playable, even if it is very slim.

Andross,
Devil,
Dr. Wright,
Excite Bike,
Hammer Bro,
Helirin,
Jeff,
Jill,
Kat and Anna,
Lakitu and Spinies,
Lyn, (While a fan favorite to a lot (I'm not one), I don't see what she could do that Marth/Roy can't. Educate me if you have an idea.)
Metroid,
Mr. Resetti,
Nintendog,
Saki Amamiya,
Samurai Goroh,
Starfy,
Tingle,
Waluigi, (You guys already know my opinions on him, and I regard him very highly. I will keep presenting my case until this battle is over.)
Barbara,
Gray Fox,
Infantry and Tanks,
Isaac, (Probably the most popular candidate for an assist trophy promotion. The Djinni he can use can vary his attacks greatly. I don't mind him being added, especially if he doesn't get into Smash 4.)
Ray Mk III,
Shadow (Not a Shadow fan, but he does have a diverse moveset, and some pretty good PSA's on brawlvault. IMO, i don't think Sonic (Metal gear as well) should get another representative because Smash Bros. is mainly Nintendo franchises with some third party. Sonic does his job of representing his franchise well enough, but if Sakurai adds a second Sonic (or Mega Man) character to Smash 4, I may have to alter my stance.)

One issue to all of these though is if the PMBR want to be a perfectionist and replace their old assist trophy model with a character swap, or make a new AT entirely. Otherwise, these are my opinions on who have potential to be upgraded of the AT's. (As a side note, I have never played Sin and Punishment or Custom Robo, so I cannot vouch for them.)
Jeff has been brought up numerous times. He could use bottle rockets, ray guns, bazookas, the shield killer, slime generator or any of his other inventions. He could work well as a semi-clone of Snake with altered normals to make up for his short limbs. If he was chosen, he could be replaced by his Mother 1 counterpart, Loid. (Incidentally, I love the idea of Jeff, but I think Ray would be a better choice for this role. Plus I'd still prefer Ninten if any Earthbound character was chosen.)

Kat & Ana have also been brought up as potential Ice Climber clones with more weak, more rapid hits. I think on-hit cancels might have been talked about for them once. Not sure who they could be replaced by, though.

And Barbara could have potential, as well. She could have a moveset using her guitar and attacking with sound waves and music. (I'm thinking mostly of the Scott Pilgrim PSA's neutral B, here). If she was chosen, I could see KK Slider replacing her. Or maybe KK would make the better fighter. Who knows? I just wanna bash someone with a guitar, I don't even care if it's acoustic or electric.

Last edited:

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman

Andross,
Devil,
Dr. Wright,
Excite Bike,
Hammer Bro,
Helirin,
Jeff,
Jill,
Kat and Anna,
Lakitu and Spinies,
Metroid,
Mr. Resetti,
Nintendog,
Saki Amamiya,
Samurai Goroh,
Starfy,
Tingle,
Barbara,
Gray Fox,
Infantry and Tanks,
Ray Mk III,

Waluigi's my #1 character........but that aside, I didn't have to play Sin & Punishment (which I played after) to realize how special Saki was on the Brawl Battlefield.

Last edited:

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
Jeff I really like a lot and yes I should have thought of all that being a huge Earthbound fan, I guess I want Poo more than Jeff deep down.

Kat and Ana - Good ideas, but i think it would be a pain to program being Ice Climber like. (Even if they use Ice Climbers as a base)

Barbara I have never actually played any of her games either, but even then I don't think she has much to her. Guitar bashing does sound fun though.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Jill from Drill Dozer. Why you may ask?

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Jeff I really like a lot and yes I should have thought of all that being a huge Earthbound fan, I guess I want Poo more than Jeff deep down
My order of preference for Earthbound is Ninten, Masked Man, then Jeff and Poo would be tied for third. I wouldn't want more than one of them, though.
Kat and Ana - Good ideas, but i think it would be a pain to program being Ice Climber like. (Even if they use Ice Climbers as a base)
Dantarion's already done this before, actually. He posted pics once of a pair of Marths that were paired like ICs, as well as a pair of Links and DKs.
Barbara I have never actually played any of her games either, but even then I don't think she has much to her. Guitar bashing does sound fun though.
Neither have I. I just want to smash a guitar on people, and we really don't have any musical fighters.

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
Dantarion's already done this before, actually. He posted pics once of a pair of Marths that were paired like ICs, as well as a pair of Links and DKs.
Yeah I think i remember seeing that at one point. Very interesting stuff. Not sure if Kat and Ana should be playable though. I have always been a guy for gameplay, so if they have a good moveset, I'm open to it.
I am open to characters in general as long as someone can create a great (and fun) moveset that clearly represents the character or their franchise in a positive light.
My original thought still stands. It is a big reason why I don't do negative votes.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Neither have I. I just want to smash a guitar on people, and we really don't have any musical fighters.
Music based character?...WarioWare characters?... Lack of Waluigi? Jimmy Thang. Ultimate Solution.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
A disco ball would make a suitable substitute for a guitar, so again, I'd be happy with this.
His final Smash can be like Peaches, only instead it forces everyone on screen to SHOW YOU THEIR MOVES by taunting. Or embarass them on the dance floor by inflicting them with trip status for a short period of time.

Shin F.

Smash Master
His final Smash can be like Peaches, only instead it forces everyone on screen to SHOW YOU THEIR MOVES by taunting. Or embarass them on the dance floor by inflicting them with trip status for a short period of time.
There's an Assist Trophy in SSF2 that does that. It forces everyone to continuously taunt, basically making them helpless during the duration. Unless they're in the air, in which case, they're helpless once they hit the ground again. Could PMBR make an attack force an input on everyone on the stage, though?

Last edited:

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
:pichumelee: Pichu is far and away my most wanted clone character, rivaled only by Ridley. Issac and Lyn would be great as well. I'm open to just about anyone as long as they're done well though. :shyguy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom