• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
I recognize the fact that Banjo-Kazooie will never be in an official Project M release, but I wish that weren't the case. I'd be a strong supporter of them if they were applicable.

Moving on to characters who are applicable, though...

I've never played a Golden Sun game, myself, but Llama Juice's awesome new Venus Lighthouse stage inspired me to read up about the series a bit more.
One thing I noticed is that the first two games have a more stylized art style than the third, and that Isaac's assist trophy model is probably even more stylized yet. When If Isaac gets added, how stylized should he be? Personally, I think the slightly more realistic approach from the third game would be the best option. I feel that it simply looks a bit better in general, and it would make Isaac feel more at home alongside the Zelda and Fire Emblem characters. Additionally, it would better allow for his older self from the third game to appear as an alt costume, since otherwise I imagine the bones might not fit so well.

Also, I'm starting to like the idea of Ray. Never played Custom Robo, either, but he does look pretty cool.
I think I already used all my +1s, so a half vote to Ray, I suppose!

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I recognize the fact that Banjo-Kazooie will never be in an official Project M release, but I wish that weren't the case. I'd be a strong supporter of them if they were applicable.

Moving on to characters who are applicable, though...

I've never played a Golden Sun game, myself, but Llama Juice's awesome new Venus Lighthouse stage inspired me to read up about the series a bit more.
One thing I noticed is that the first two games have a more stylized art style than the third, and that Isaac's assist trophy model is probably even more stylized yet. When If Isaac gets added, how stylized should he be? Personally, I think the slightly more realistic approach from the third game would be the best option. I feel that it simply looks a bit better in general, and it would make Isaac feel more at home alongside the Zelda and Fire Emblem characters. Additionally, it would better allow for his older self from the third game to appear as an alt costume, since otherwise I imagine the bones might not fit so well.

Also, I'm starting to like the idea of Ray. Never played Custom Robo, either, but he does look pretty cool.
I think I already used all my +1s, so a half vote to Ray, I suppose!
Well considering Brawl's art-style (and in turn, Project M's), I think a "realistic" approach is the most logical.

S

Sharic X

Because if you did, then you would understand why I just put "no."
Also, side tip, refrain from calling people on the internet ignorant when you only saw one post they made.
On the internet, it's easy to assume ignorance or what-not easily. If you wouldn't have been "ignorant" or whatever
else you might be thinking, you would have at least backed up your point. Just saying no doesn't reason your
argument, and thus, people can assume you're being ignorant, a troll or just stupid.

I'm not saying you are, but I am saying that is the conclusion people can come to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
I know that, but Banjo and/or Kazooie isn't a Sonic or Metal Gear character now is he?
The way you you worded it made it seem like you were saying that there is no possibility for any non-Nintendo owned character. Just a litttle misunderstanding.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
We know that Waluigi has gameplay potential from what we have seen from Marioking's Brawl mod which is impressive by the way. The question is this though... Does he deserve a spot on the roster when there are many other iconic characters to choose from?

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
The Project M roster, with an outstanding 41 characters, is very solid already. If they definitely confirmed that there will be NO MORE CHARACTERS, then of course this thread wouldn't even exist. For character rosters, I would say yes being iconic does help a character in its favor. However niche characters shouldn't be ignored all together either, look at G&W in Melee and ROB in Brawl, they can be considered pleasant surprises that nobody expected but a lot of people enjoy (I like them, even though i don't play them). I am open to anybody being put in, but I will admit some characters deserve it more than others. Waluigi is weird in the sense that the fan base is literally a heads or tails, where either you like him, or you hate him. Being such a huge Waluigi fan (definitely the biggest at DBDI), I'll fight my hardest to get him in. I will be sad if he doesn't, but I am open to characters in general as long as someone can create a great (and fun) moveset that clearly represents the character or their franchise in a positive light.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I
We know that Waluigi has gameplay potential from what we have seen from Marioking's Brawl mod which is impressive by the way. The question is this though... Does he deserve a spot on the roster when there are many other iconic characters to choose from?
I think he deserves a spot, there's like 7 slots left, and Waluigi, Ray, Isaac, Grey Fox, Ridley and Pichu seams to be the most wanted, even if Waluigi is in, there's still room for others, I'm aware that they may not use all the left over slots, but it isn't bad in my opinion to add Waluigi ^-^

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I

I think he deserves a spot, there's like 7 slots left, and Waluigi, Ray, Isaac, Grey Fox, Ridley and Pichu seams to be the most wanted, even if Waluigi is in, there's still room for others, I'm aware that they may not use all the left over slots, but it isn't bad in my opinion to add Waluigi ^-^
According to the most recent poll results, the 5(that's how many slots are left) characters with the most full vote supporters are Isaac, Ridley, Lyn, Black Shadow, and Dark Samus in that order. Then one vote off from Damus is Sukapon, and then K. Rool. Everyone else is below 30.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, as much as I like Gray Fox (and would like to see him in PM)... I don't think he even has the slightest chance of making the cut. He's in the same boat as those unpopular Sonic characters (being third party and all), and he's not even on the scoreboard.

Shin F.

Smash Master
With that Waluigi announcement, today was a lively Thursday, it seems.

I wish I kept track of my movesets since I made one for Waluigi LONG before he was deconfirmed and I'd like to repost it or something.

IIRC it involved him using eggplants as bombs that exploded into purple thorns that acted as a stage hazard, as well as swimming through the air as a recovery special that could also be jump-cancelled. I was pretty proud of it, unfortunately Smashboards isn't capable of tracking users' posts for specific threads. Otherwise, I'd be able to find it again easily.
Actually, you can. When you use the search bar at the top of the page, you can check a box that says "Search this thread only" and then search for only posts by yourself by putting your name in the "Posted by member" box.
The question is...do we want Old Isaac?
I don't. I'd personally like him to appear just as he does in Brawl but with more detail. His assist trophy was already made to blend in with the other characters. They can go more realistic if they want, but why should they? It's not like he'll stand out all that much from other humans when we've got the likes of Kirby and Pikachu in the game. He could still have a costume resembling his older self, but I would prefer that they stick with the style he was established in and just tweak it.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
That answer is easy. No. This is made clear by his negative reception and how many other franchises that are yet to receive a playable character on the roster.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Here ya go, Edge - figured I'd save ya the trouble. I'm pretty sure this is the one you were talking about.
I meant to post this yesterday but SmashBoards decided to update right as I hit Post Reply. Oh well.

View attachment 5490

So my Waluigi moveset's ready. Be warned, though--it all came to me in a dream induced by a crazy Mexican gypsy lady and her 1000-year-old libro de alucinaciones. Hope I ended up getting my severed monkey's head's worth--wrestling it out of an Egyptian mobster's grip is much harder than you think it is when you're only armed with a rope, a banana peel, a perfect **** (D I C K) Dastardly impression and a copy of the latest New York Times edition~

Overall philosophy behind Waluigi's playstyle

He'd basically be what Sakurai tried to do with vBrawl Wario: create one of the most trollish, wackiest, characters this side of Mr. Game & Watch, only with a lot of personality imbued into him. While he did succeed with his mission, it meant alienating many of Wario's signature abilities from his Wario Land, like basically all of his transformations (Fire Wario, Fat Wario, Zombie Wario)--any of which could've been implemented into his moveset a la Kirby having lots of his copy abilities in a single moveset. He also had his signature shoulder bash implemented weirdly as his side-smash, though I admit it fit his weirdness. All in all, Wario fans who liked doing those things were left in the dust with a character that sort of felt like Wario, but wasn't Wario.

Waluigi, though. Nobody knows who he is or what he does besides show up at sports and that he possesses a kickin' Mario Kart tune (Waluigi Pinball for life, baby) and a great remix of another game's tune (Destruction Dance is also fun dance time). He doesn't have his own game, so whatever we do with him can't misrepresent him no matter how crazy we get. He could be anything and nobody would have to be disappointed if he doesn't have Signature Attack X or Subtle Reference Y (but don't worry, I'll reference a few things). So after undergoing the gypsy's spell my mind ventured into whatever it wanted (bar anything the clone engine didn't permit--I held onto the Project M logo on my T-shirt to make sure the experience was grounded within actual possibility).

Something to keep in mind is that Waluigi moves kind of like Wario and G dubs in terms of the goal in his normal animations. Waluigi's body moves very fluidly, though--the difference is that instead of moving suddenly and sporadically he moves kind of like a spider. He's constantly flexing his arms and legs in very creepy ways. Like when he's walking it's a normal walk, but his "running" is just him taking very big steps. He'll still be janky though, as a lot of his creepiness comes from him suddenly extending his limbs. For added effect, most of his moves have him going "Waahh!" or "Waha!". Without further ado, my Waluigi moveset:

Specials

Eggplant Bomb (N-Special)

Waluigi throws an eggplant with a "Ha!". Where it lands and its trajectory depend on how long you hold B, similar to Snake's grenades. Unlike Snake's grenades, you can't move around while holding them. When it makes contact on the ground, the eggplant erupts into a purple vine covered in thorns for about one and a half seconds, leaving a hitbox that grows to the left and right of the impact point. Waluigi can only have two eggplants out at a time. If an eggplant hits someone instead of the ground it acts like Toon Link's bombs.

Waluigi Paddle (F-Special)

Waluigi swims through the air with high velocity going "Hrrrgh!" like his assist trophy yell. Think of it like R.O.B.'s side special when used on the ground, only it goes farther and the hitbox covers more since Waluigi's long body is horizontal during this move. It sends at a diagonally upward angle and can be cancelled on hit with anything except an air dodge.

Purple Power (D-Special)

Waluigi shoots purple fire (taken from the Darkness effect) out of his hands suddenly, with an assertive "Waa!". They're very powerful--lots of horizontal knockback. The flames don't have a lot of range and only last about half a second though, so early on they have to be used kind of like Squirtle's bubble, a gimping move. It becomes a reliable killing move at about 80% and higher.

Amethyst Rocket (U-Special)

Waluigi crouches and propels himself upward with the force of quickly extending all of his long gangly limbs, leaving purple fire in his wake. It's essentially a vertical version of Pikachu's Skull Bash, but it goes farther uncharged, can be angled left and right, and an opponent can't interrupt your recovery by being in your way since it knocks them away. If you charge it, you're only doing it to stall in the air like Diddy's U-Special, though charging it does mean more damage.

Normals

Jab: a 2-hit combo comprising of a snap of Waluigi's fingers followed by a far-reaching punch with the other hand. The snap emits purple fire in front of Waluigi, but there's a sweetspot on Waluigi's hands during the snap--connecting with it allows the opponent to be knocked into the punch's sweetspot, the fist, which allows the jab to send farther.

Dash Attack: Waluigi slides forward on one leg while stretching out with the other. Has good reach but little knockback.

F-Tilt: Waluigi thrusts a poking finger out suddenly after a few frames of him sticking out his head grinning--"Ha!". The head sticking out leaves him vulnerable and an easy target if you don't time the attack right, but it's worth it because the poke reaches very far since Waluigi's using his whole arm behind it, and it acts like a semi-spike.

D-Tilt: a quicker version of f-tilt but with half the range and it doesn't spike. He uses his leg instead.

U-Tilt: quickly waves his arm over his head. A good juggling move.

F-Smash: Waluigi brings his arms down hard, going "Hrrgh!". It's one of his few grounded disjointed attacks, so make good use of its range.

D-Smash: Waluigi gets on his head and he spins with his arms and legs stretched all the way out, covering his left and right admirably. "Waha!"

U-Smash: Waluigi extends his arms skyward, like Wario's u-tilt as a smash attack. "Wa!"

Grabs

Waluigi's long limbs mean he has a grab range rivaling King Dedede. With that in mind:

Pummel: Waluigi thrusts his knee into his captive, using the purple flames for an added effect.

F-Throw: Waluigi punches the opponent into a diagonal angle, so it's a good throw for combos.

B-Throw: Essentially Kirby's back throw. What's Waluigi without a wrestling move? "Wahaha!"

D-Throw: Waluigi does a ton of kicks to the opponent on the ground like what his assist trophy does, before releasing the opponent. Good for racking up damage. "Hrrgh!"

U-Throw: He tosses the opponent above him as he crouches, then quickly extends his whole body for a powerful headbutt. "Wa!". Like forward throw it's good for combos.

Aerials

N-air: Waluigi spins around with his limbs outstretched like Kirby. He has the most range of that kind of move.

F-Air: Essentially a vertical version of Captain Falcon's knee attack, and just as powerful. It has less range though, but if it's sweetspotted, you hear the same electricity sound and Waluigi gives his most enthusiastic "Waah!"

B-Air: a roundhouse kick like Lucas used to have, but not as powerful and has more range.

D-Air: Waluigi faces his body downward and dives down. Good for getting back to the ground quickly, it's like Zero Suit Samus' Brawl down aerial.

U-Air: swings his body above him like Mario's up aerial.

Obviously I made this moveset for fun, I don't expect anyone to like it or anyone to take it seriously, but I'd love if Waluigi was added in with similar wackiness. What do you guys think of this Waluigi? I think the character has a lot of malleability to be anyone the moveset creator wishes it could be.

EDIT: What the heck? I can't post D I C K Dastardly? That's a cartoon character, not a swear!

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
On the internet, it's easy to assume ignorance or what-not easily. If you wouldn't have been "ignorant" or whatever
else you might be thinking, you would have at least backed up your point. Just saying no doesn't reason your
argument, and thus, people can assume you're being ignorant, a troll or just stupid.

I'm not saying you are, but I am saying that is the conclusion people can come to.
How can I back up my point if I am just answering a question?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Thanks! I was gone for a while so I wasn't on Smashboards.

Anyway, what do you guys think?
I think that paragraph of yours describing how Wario was handled by Sakurai also applies strikingly well to Ganondorf :troll:

Other than that, I'll let the me of the past speak for the me of the now.
I read the Waluigi one a bit more thoroughly, and it sounds really fun. I'm still iffy about another Mario Universe character, but I wouldn't object to him. I like the fluid, spidery way you describe his movements.

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
Pretty good movelist Lucas. You and I will have to collaborate on a definitive moveset, some time. Like i feel his swim should be a dash attack, and i feel i could implement his tornado, where he spins around and then poses in his "Γ" pose for the final hit, sorta like Mario and Luigi's tornado. Again, really good list.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I think the Waluigi Tornado would work well as an UpSmash.

EDIT: OOO I THOUGHT OF SOMETHING
What if they used the G&W Ball for his throws, which are BASKETBALL BASED. Waluigi has played B-Ball before and judging by his height he must be good at it. Pummel: Dribble, F-Throw: Check, U-Throw: Jump Shot, B-Throw: Between the legs, D-Throw: DUNK. Also if anyone knows more about basketball than I do(which most of you probably do)(looking to you Alfonzo) please correct me if I used incorrect terminology.

Last edited:

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
Maybe not have it all be basketball, he is very well known for sports, so have his throws all be Sports themed. The up throw could be a Basketball 3-pointer, his down throw could be a Volleyball spike straight into the ground, his forward throw be him swinging a golf club getting the long drive, and his back throw could be him serving a tennis ball.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
But Basketball has too much swaaaaagggg
There's plenty of moveset to go around we can put those things someplace else.
He should also be able to travel while grabbing like Snake. I actually imagine him as a Snake clone.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
So, anyone have somebody else for clone engine in mind?

Just doin' a routine creativity check, I'd love to hear ideas on new characters no one suggested yet. We may all have discussed nearly everyone, but you may never know.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Waluigi moveset kinda-ish things ideas
B- Bob-Omb
He pretty much throws the bob-omb item. Pretty simple I think. Iconic to the Wario bros but Waluigi moreso.
>B- Eggplant
That eggplant thorny thing Edge thought up. Yeah. That could be fun.
vB- Hex
He places down a hex trap from Mario Party. If someone steps on it they get tuns-a-stuns allowing Waluigi to get up close to them and pelvic thrust taunt in their face. WA WA WAAAAAA
Fsmash- Tennis racket
WACK! Could work like Peach's where he pulls out random sports things instead of the Tennis racket.
Final Smash- Waluigi Pinball
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Shin F.

Smash Master
Waluigi moveset kinda-ish things ideas
B- Bob-Omb
He pretty much throws the bob-omb item. Pretty simple I think. Iconic to the Wario bros but Waluigi moreso.
>B- Eggplant
That eggplant thorny thing Edge thought up. Yeah. That could be fun.
vB- Hex
He places down a hex trap from Mario Party. If someone steps on it they get tuns-a-stuns allowing Waluigi to get up close to them and pelvic thrust taunt in their face. WA WA WAAAAAA
Fsmash- Tennis racket
WACK! Could work like Peach's where he pulls out random sports things instead of the Tennis racket.
Final Smash- Waluigi Pinball
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Waluigi LIKES this!

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
So, anyone have somebody else for clone engine in mind?

Just doin' a routine creativity check, I'd love to hear ideas on new characters no one suggested yet. We may all have discussed nearly everyone, but you may never know.
Palutena. She can represent the Kid Icarus series, be a female, and be another magic character. What's not to like?

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

If she is deconfirmed for Smash 4, I'll be all over that Palutena support train. +1/2 Vote for Palutena.

If she is in the new Smash, however....

Shin F.

Smash Master

If she is deconfirmed for Smash 4, I'll be all over that Palutena support train. +1/2 Vote for Palutena.

If she is in the new Smash, however....
I'd be down for any of those three gals. +1/2 to all of them that I haven't already. (For Palutena and to a lesser extent Lip, that assumes she's not in Smash 4, of course.)

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'd be down for any of those three gals. +1/2 to all of them. (For Palutena and to a lesser extent Lip, that assumes she's not in Smash 4, of course.)
You know, it wasn't until just now that I realized how much Lip and Ashley look like they could be rival characters.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The question is...do we want Old Isaac?
I see this and I can't tell the difference between Golden Sun and Fire Emblem. This style is so ****ing bland and has zero personality because it's been done to death. Young Isaac is entirely more iconic and memorable, yet still suffers a bit from the generic jrpg look. 100x better than adult Isaac. Horrible move on Camelot's part, they should have just continued Isaac's adventures as a youth. This is why Golden Sun fails to catch on, because it can't assume a consistent and unique identity. It needs to get out of JRPG roots with the net installment or it will surely die.

Last edited:

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Well, I've never seen any official Fire Emblem art using that style of coloration before, though the lines, if colored very differently, I agree could pass as a FE-esque style. Though the design is also a bit un-FE. So really the only Fire Emblemy thing about it is the proportions. The design could maybe almost fit in with Awakening, but then there's the fact that Awakening uses a very different approach to art than other Fire Emblems, so it falls apart again. :|

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I

I'd think Raiden would be a better choice than Gray Fox, but that's just me. Either or, I'd welcome him or Gray Fox with open arms and a High-Frequency Blade in hand. I'm not all about Golden Sun since I have never played it, so I don't have any strong feelings about Issac. While Pichu would be awesome to see considering how freakishly good he is in Melee SD Remix (Seriously, he's freaking high tier), Pichu would really cause problems with the rest of the community for reasons two fold. 1. A lot of people hated Pichu because he was downright garbage in Melee. 2. If he was given buffs to be a genuine threat, then alot of people will complain about him and ask for nerfs from high heaven.

I'm more on the fence of not seeing Waluigi being on the character roster. Not because I don't like him, but because he isn't really impactful on the Mario franchise and not to mention that the number of Waluigi fans is small in the Smash community. Waluigi is a very, very niche character. Although I find some PSAs to be impressive, he doesn't really shine as bright as others.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman

Nobody seems to be caring about my maans Magnus...........So I think she's gonna get in SSB4

I wouldn't push for Magnus here since he's a new character to the series.

I was actually hoping for Magnus and Medusa (Nintendo Female Main Villain) for SSB4 since Palutena usually plays cheerleader (supports Pit)

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Nobody seems to be caring about my maans Magnus...........So I think she's gonna get in SSB4

I wouldn't push for Magnus here since he's a new character to the series.

I was actually hoping for Magnus and Medusa (Nintendo Female Main Villain) for SSB4 since Palutena usually plays cheerleader (supports Pit)
She physically guides Pit by making him fly in Uprising, she's more of a driver than a "cheerleader"

Also, 1/2 vote to Lip. I'll wait till the Palutena rumor's debunked before voting on her, though.

R&B

Smash Apprentice
Ridley-The character that has more solid air game then ground game, I think an air grab mechanic would be necessary and at the same time Ridley as a character contradicts what most people don't like in PM which is having a very good recovery. I don't play Metroid games at all, and I have played Golden Sun and some Fire Emblem, this is just my opinion but the most important thing to consider that is needed in PM is variety, which is what another humanoid with a sword cannot bring to the table.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
She physically guides Pit by making him fly in Uprising, she's more of a driver than a "cheerleader"

Also, 1/2 vote to Lip. I'll wait till the Palutena rumor's debunked before voting on her, though.
There is a lot of moveset potential just from the Chapter 20 boss fight alone, and just imagine all the other things she can do considering she's ****ING JESUS (Yes, I know she's based off of Athena, learn how to laugh people).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom