• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I actually wouldn't be opposed to Lip. She comes from a puzzle game, and puzzle games by Nintendo haven't gotten representation in Smash yet (unless you count Dr. Mario, but he's just a costume now).

I wouldn't know how she'd work, though, aside from one of her specials doing what the Lip's Stick item does.
Her game has blocks that you have to match 3 in a row, right? Maybe you can stick miniscule blocks on the opponent. If you do it three times, they blow up, doing massive damage to the opponent while giving them the flower status.

Edit: I'll give a 1/2 vote to Lip, while I'm at it.
I could try making a Lip moveset, but I will invariably give her a Quickdraw and make her use Lip's Stick like Ragnell, and I don't think anybody wants to see that.
Well I gave it a shot. I figure I could have been a lot more creative in spots, but using Toon Link as a base helped me to get something out that wouldn't be too bad and fit the overall idea of a puzzle rep in a fighting roster.

#TeamLip, let's do this.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
I'll give a half-vote to Lip. That could be pretty interesting.

Her down-b should spawn a tetris block that falls down in front of her (below her if she's in the air), kind of like Kirby's Stone ability except it's summoned rather than her transforming into it. I think she's a fairy, so it wouldn't be out of the question to give her some magic, too, I think. She'd require some creativity, but I think she could be pretty fun.
Well, Panel de Pon isn't really similar to Tetris, or even have falling blocks. Rather, the blocks rise up from the bottom of the screen. Maybe she could pluck them out of the ground like Peach?

Her game has blocks that you have to match 3 in a row, right? Maybe you can stick miniscule blocks on the opponent. If you do it three times, they blow up, doing massive damage to the opponent while giving them the flower status.
I like this idea.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Lip for next Isaac? "I never really played her game. She looks pretty cool tho. Full vote from me. Ideas? Nah. She's cool tho"

1/2 vote Lip

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Issac, Ridley, Lyn, Ray, and Lip. Sounds like a variety to me.

-Magic Swordsman
-Air Brawling Dragon
-Female "Samurai"?
-Swift Range Fighter Robot
-Status Inflicting Puzzle Fairy Girl

This game needs Para-Dry-Baby WaNaruto. It's not like he's gonna be in SSB4 guys :denzel:
Bandai Namco is way ahead of you

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Besides Ridley, I'd honestly prefer if the rest of the PM cast were from series not yet repped in Smash. So like
Isaac
Ridley
Advance Wars person
Lip
Balloon Fighter

or if Ridley gets in Smash 4

Isaac
Advance Wars person
Lip
Balloon Fighter
Ray

So yeah.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Besides Ridley, I'd honestly prefer if the rest of the PM cast were from series not yet repped in Smash. So like
Isaac
Ridley
Advance Wars person
Lip
Balloon Fighter

or if Ridley gets in Smash 4

Isaac
Advance Wars person
Lip
Balloon Fighter
Ray

So yeah.
I honestly agree, but I only threw Lyn in there because of her retaining her 3rd place position.

But in my opinion...

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Okay so just thinking out loud. I'm going to make a list of characters in Brawl who's series aren't repped with a playable fighter in Brawl. THEN WE PICK THE BEST OF THEM WITH A BATTLE TO THE DEATH
Isaac - Golden Sun
Ray - Custom Robo
Chibi-Robo - Chibi-Robo
Lip - Panel de Pon
Andy/Sami - Advance Wars
Tom Nook - Animal Crossing
Balloon Fighter - Balloon Fight
Excitebiker - Excitebike
Mach Rider - Mach Rider
Starfy - Densetsu no Stafy
Protagonist - Magical Starsign
Nintendog - Nintendog
Jill - Drill Dozer
Elite Beat Agents - Elite Beat Agents
Sukapon - Joy Mech Fight
Takamaru - Nazo no Murasamejou
Tamagon - Devil World
Wild Gunman - Wild Gunman
Duck Hunt Dog - Duck Hunt
Ummmmm
Anyone else got anything?

I'll look through the stickers

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Okay so just thinking out loud. I'm going to make a list of characters in Brawl who's series aren't repped with a playable fighter in Brawl. THEN WE PICK THE BEST OF THEM WITH A BATTLE TO THE DEATH
Isaac - Golden Sun
Ray - Custom Robo
Chibi-Robo - Chibi-Robo
Lip - Panel de Pon
Andy/Sami - Advance Wars
Excitebiker - Excitebike
Mach Rider - Mach Rider
Nintendog - Nintendog
Jill - Drill Dozer
Sukapon - Joy Mech Fight
Tamagon - Devil World
Ummmmm

So yeah I looked through the stickers picked the ones I thought best there you go.
It's a damn shame I couldn't find King Hippo anywhere.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Isaac - Golden Sun
Ray - Custom Robo

Chibi-Robo - Chibi-Robo
Lip - Panel de Pon
Andy/Sami - Advance Wars
Excitebiker - Excitebike
Mach Rider - Mach Rider
Nintendog - Nintendog
Jill - Drill Dozer
Sukapon - Joy Mech Fight
Tamagon - Devil World
Ummmmm

Highlighted the 5 I'm most fond of.

Also, Donbe from Shin Onigashima. A Japanese only title that is a fairly popular game.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Well i noted some time before that Isaac has some differences in his design from Brawl and the one from Golden Sun:

Brawl

Golden Sun

There are rather some minor differences, most notably the boots, spikier hair in Brawl, and for some reason his arms in Brawl are very skinny.
I prefer his Golden Sun design, except for the hair, what design do you like more guys?

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I prefer the Golden Sun design, the pants are a different color, which will help players distinguish berween his legs and body during battle.

Edit: in the second picture, at least.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Isaac - Golden Sun
Ray - Custom Robo
Chibi-Robo - Chibi-Robo
Lip - Panel de Pon
Andy/Sami - Advance Wars
Excitebiker - Excitebike
Mach Rider - Mach Rider
Nintendog - Nintendog
Jill - Drill Dozer
Sukapon - Joy Mech Fight
Tamagon - Devil World
Ummmmm

If Smash 4 doesn't pluck the low hanging fruit that is Takamaru, I'm totally down for that happening within the confines of Project M. With that said, Ray, Lip, Sami, and Issac would be my main 4 for wholly new series reps added. I won't give up the fifth spot for anyone but Lyn, "over" represented series or not (unless Taka becomes an option). :p

On a bit of a tangent, for Panel de Pon, are the objects Lip interacts with "panels" or "blocks"? If it's the former, then I just got a pretty cool idea but will have to redo my suggested moveset somewhat.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
If Smash 4 doesn't pluck the low hanging fruit that is Takamaru, I'm totally down for that happening within the confines of Project M. With that said, Ray, Lip, Sami, and Issac would be my main 4 for wholly new series reps added. I won't give up the fifth spot for anyone but Lyn, "over" represented series or not (unless Taka becomes an option). :p

On a bit of a tangent, for Panel de Pon, are the objects Lip interacts with "panels" or "blocks"? If it's the former, then I just got a pretty cool idea but will have to redo my suggested moveset somewhat.
If you are truly dedicated to the idea of a moveset for Lip, I would suggest checking out some gameplay of Panel de Pon to get a good idea of what it is all about if you haven't already. Extended research of the franchise also helps. From my knowledge, Pokemon Puzzle League is a spin-off from this series. I'm guessing this notion was taken from the earlier statement.

Okay seriously though Lip is an awesome suggestion. I've heard that Sakurai wanted her in the series since the 64 days but didn't think anyone would know who the heck she was. :(
Assuming Nintendo didn't think the series would catch on with its current mascots, the Pokemon variant was sure to sell as it had familiar characters.

As for Lip, I could see a lot of inspiration coming from the character Platinum the Trinity of BlazBlue in her moveset.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
So if there's a Castlevania stage, do we expect Simon Belmont as a future character? If he can't have a chance because he didn't appear in brawl, then how did they put the stage in? Is there different rules to that or what? :3

Shin F.

Smash Master
So if there's a Castlevania stage, do we expect Simon Belmont as a future character? If he can't have a chance because he didn't appear in brawl, then how did they put the stage in? Is there different rules to that or what? :3
Yes, the rules for playable characters are different from costumes and stages. There won't be a Castlevania character.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
If you are truly dedicated to the idea of a moveset for Lip, I would suggest checking out some gameplay of Panel de Pon to get a good idea of what it is all about if you haven't already. Extended research of the franchise also helps. From my knowledge, Pokemon Puzzle League is a spin-off from this series. I'm guessing this notion was taken from the earlier statement.

Assuming Nintendo didn't think the series would catch on with its current mascots, the Pokemon variant was sure to sell as it had familiar characters.

As for Lip, I could see a lot of inspiration coming from the character Platinum the Trinity of BlazBlue in her moveset.

I actually looked up a let's play for the idea I proposed already, but I was still uncertain as to whether or not the objects rising in the main modes could be classified as blocks or panels. Admittedly, since the game's name is Panel de Pon, I feel stupid thinking about this now. lol

As for the Platinum idea, you may be right. I kinda see her as a character who's all about forcibly screwing with positioning or controlled areas of space while also generating constructs made out of panels to fight and maneuver around the field with and a number of Plat's moves have me redoing a lot of little things about the idea I did before.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
From what I've understood (I've always wondered about Drac's Castle too), DC was not their creation and they are just using another modders work, with his permission of course.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
From what I've understood (I've always wondered about Drac's Castle too), DC was not their creation and they are just using another modders work, with his permission of course.
In that case, it'd be cool then if that Venus Lighthouse stage in the Customized Content section was put in if Isaac ends up in Project M.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I can see myself end up playing a lot of Issac, despite never having played Golden Sun before in my life. Pretty much like how I've never actually played Fire Emblem and I love playing as Roy. I'm quite surprised Sakurai didn't see the same charm in Issac that he did in Roy. Being from an unrepped franchise, being a highly desired character, and bringing something completely new to the table in terms of gameplay. I honestly believe he will end up being made if we do end up getting a new character for Project M simply because his potential pretty much tops all the other choices.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
I can see myself end up playing a lot of Issac, despite never having played Golden Sun before in my life. Pretty much like how I've never actually played Fire Emblem and I love playing as Roy. I'm quite surprised Sakurai didn't see the same charm in Issac that he did in Roy. Being from an unrepped franchise, being a highly desired character, and bringing something completely new to the table in terms of gameplay. I honestly believe he will end up being made if we do end up getting a new character for Project M simply because his potential pretty much tops all the other choices.
Yeah, he seems like a very likely character to be in.

S

Sharic X

Okay, I have an idea. It may sounds stupid, but please take your time reading this.
I had hopes that Classic Link, from A Link to the Past/A Link Between Worlds and Oracle series would make it into Smash Bros. 4, but that had not happened.

So then...I was wondering if he would be a good choice for Project M?

But then, after some thinking, I actually though up this: Why not have Ravio instead?
He's an alternate version of Link, who was relatively important to A Link Between Worlds and gave quite a shocker to players when his true identity was revealed. Now, you may wonder, what could he bring to the table.

First of all, he has all the items from A Link Between Worlds, which if we think about, were all originally his. Therefore, here's what I thought up for his moveset:

A
Throws a rupee.

Side A
Sheerow attacks from behind him.

Side A Dash
Body checks with shoulder.

B
Throws fireball from Fire Rod.

Side B
Throws fire pillar from Fire Rod.

Side B Dash
Sand Rod attack with the little dust puffs coming from the ground.

Down B
Uses Ice Rod to make ice blocks fall.

Up B
Uses Tornado Rod to go up.

And that's about as far as I've thought this out. I have some drawn sketches of how it would look, so if this idea gets some support, I'll share it with you guys.

As for what he will look like, he'll wear the same clothes he had throughout the game, except I think his hood should be off.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
Okay, I have an idea. It may sounds stupid, but please take your time reading this.
I had hopes that Classic Link, from A Link to the Past/A Link Between Worlds and Oracle series would make it into Smash Bros. 4, but that had not happened.

So then...I was wondering if he would be a good choice for Project M?

But then, after some thinking, I actually though up this: Why not have Ravio instead?

SPOILER TO A LINK BETWEEN WORDS [removed from your quote]

First of all, he has all the items from A Link Between Worlds, which if we think about, were all originally his. Therefore, here's what I thought up for his moveset:

A
Throws a rupee.

Side A
Sheerow attacks from behind him.

Side A Dash
Body checks with shoulder.

B
Throws fireball from Fire Rod.

Side B
Throws fire pillar from Fire Rod.

Side B Dash
Sand Rod attack with the little dust puffs coming from the ground.

Down B
Uses Ice Rod to make ice blocks fall.

Up B
Uses Tornado Rod to go up.

And that's about as far as I've thought this out. I have some drawn sketches of how it would look, so if this idea gets some support, I'll share it with you guys.

As for what he will look like, he'll wear the same clothes he had throughout the game, except I think his hood should be off.
Good ideas, but Ravio didn't appear in brawl in anyway, so it is impossible for him to get in. Smash 4 is still pretty unlikely due to the walking spoiler he is. The move set does have potential for a 3rd version of Link though, and it should stay as that in my opinion. Someone should make a PSA of that.

Last edited:
S

Sharic X

Good ideas, but Ravio didn't appear in brawl in anyway, so it is impossible for him to get in. Smash 4 is still pretty unlikely due to the walking spoiler he is. The move set does have potential for a 3rd version of Link though, and it should stay as that in my opinion. Someone should make a PSA of that.
So should the Classic Link, as I call him, take over Ravio's moveset?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Who needs Ravio when you can have...
Wait for it...
You know what's coming....

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Gah LBW spoilers.
I've already had it spoiled for me yeah but still. I know we talk about Claus but it's nothing Brawl didn't already do. LBW is too recent, and besides that idea didn't even have a chance so why did you post it?
Spoilers hurt me.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Gah LBW spoilers.
I've already had it spoiled for me yeah but still. I know we talk about Claus but it's nothing Brawl didn't already do. LBW is too recent, and besides that idea didn't even have a chance so why did you post it?
Spoilers hurt me.
Sheik is actually Zelda. Samus is a woman. Snape kills Dumbledore.
Come at me, bro.

Edit: Actually spoilered now to protect the innocent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom