• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Come on man. Come on.
Is that the best you got?

Medusa isn't the real villain it's Hades, Master Hand was being controlled by Tabuu the WHOLE TIME, Katniss didn't die, Leo didn't get the Oscar, Barry wins.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Come on man. Come on.
Medusa isn't the real villain it's Hades, Master Hand was being controlled by Tabuu the WHOLE TIME, Katniss didn't die, Leo didn't get the Oscar, Barry wins.
Goku becomes the first Super Saiyan in the series. Ganondorf was behind Zant the whole time. Boromir dies. Pewdiepie isn't even his real name. Dr. Wily gets away. Herobrine was never real. The good guy wins.
Edit: Actually spoilered now to protect the innocent.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Come on man. Come on.

Goku becomes the first Super Saiyan in the series. Ganondorf was behind Zant the whole time. Boromir dies. Pewdiepie isn't even his real name. Dr. Wily gets away. Herobrine was never real. The good guy wins.
Really now? Bring your a-game bois.

Playstation was supposed to be an expansion to the Nintendo 64, Raiden was turned into a cyborg, Santa Claus is not real, Snake hates Sonic, Space core goes to space, Waluigi is not playable in Brawl or Smash 4, Roy's our boy, Sephiroth is the bad guy, Zack dies, Cloud is an impostor, Ridley is too big, Ganondorf does not use his sword to fight in the Smash series, Final Fantasy 13 was a good movie, Sonic 06 was a bad game, Jon leaves Game Grumps.

Edit: Added spoiler tags for people who actually haven't experienced these. Sorry EdgeTheLucas.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
To break this combo, I wanna remind Sharic X that I already made a Classic Link moveset if he wants to look at it.

Also I'm breaking this combo because some of what everyone is saying is actually spoiling stuff for me.

I'll look for that moveset now.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Goku becomes the first Super Saiyan in the series. Ganondorf was behind Zant the whole time. Boromir dies. Pewdiepie isn't even his real name. Dr. Wily gets away. The good guy wins.
You are Grima, Dr. Eggman is faster than Sonic, District 13 is corrupt, Magolor was the bad guy, the final boss is the God you've been working for, Mario is an actor, Bucky is alive, Art is alive, nothing is real, your life is a lie.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
To break this combo, I wanna remind Sharic X that I already made a Classic Link moveset if he wants to look at it.

Also I'm breaking this combo because some of what everyone is saying is actually spoiling stuff for me.

I'll look for that moveset now.
Was it the part where Santa Claus isn't real or where Jon leaves Game Grumps?

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
EDIT: I took such a long time typing everything up, so I hope I don't / didn't derail any important conversation.

All right! Back on the computer for my own bottom-of-the-barrel character: A Link to the Past...Link!

ALttP Link? Altihtihpuh Link? You know, for simplicity's sake I'll call him Past Link.

View attachment 5809

So he'd be the third Link, you say. Isn't that redundant? I'll tell YOU what's redundant: Wind Waker Link added without any of the items from Wind Waker! He was just Young Link from Melee again, who in turn could've been Link using Majora's Mask items. Oh well, at least Toon Link is fun to use since he's an amalgamation of 3 different Links. Plus, even before Project M he was better than all the other Zelda characters in Brawl. That's pretty cool.

Where was I? Oh yeah, so basically this Link would change all that. Most of his normals and 3 of his specials are different and derive from his canonical appearances: A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, and the Oracle games. So he'd essentially be the opposite of Ganondorf: Instead of looking wildly different but having a clone moveset, he'd look like a clone of someone else but play wildly unique. Fitting, both in a Smash and Zelda sense.

However, like all Fire Emblem characters they DO share a special, namely the Spin Attack. He's from the game that introduced it, no way I'd leave it out. Still, it's not his up-B but rather his down-B. I'll explain below.

Specials

Neutral: Fire Rod

Quickly waves the Fire Rod and shoots a little fireball toward the ground, which erupts into a pillar of flames that moves toward the enemy. Basically, it's like Pikachu's or Ice Climbers' neutral-B in that it hugs the ground so you can't crouch to avoid it. It's a tall pillar, so it has the most vertical range of this kind of attack. It's meant to replicate its utility in A Link Between Worlds. If the little fireball hits the opponent instead of the pillar, it erupts for a brief second dealing vertical knockback.
*side note: I chose the Fire Rod and not the Ice Rod because the Fire Rod was in 2 of his games (A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, the latter under the name "Magic Rod"), while the Ice Rod was only in A Link to the Past.

Side: Pegasus Boots

Basically Wario's Shoulder Bash, but goes much faster and farther, deals less damage and knockback, and the hitbox is located on Link's outstretched sword rather than the whole front of his body. Like Wario, it gets stronger the farther you get when you connect with a hit. It works the same way in the air, but with gravity. It makes you go into special fall.

Down: Spin Attack

Works much differently than the other Links' Spin Attacks. Its duration is about a quarter as long, it has half the range, and it's visually a single spin instead of multiple. On the ground it's a panic move for getting somebody that's up in your face away from you--it deals little but fixed horizontal knockback. Then, Link holds up his shield to reflect projectiles, unlike the other Links who simply block them.
Have you put it together yet? I've turned the spin attack into a shine :awesome: It's only a rudimentary one, though, to compensate for it's bigger range, so you can't jump-cancel it or use it to stall your fall. In the air, it's the only downwards angled Spin Attack (Twilight Link aims his up while Toon Link aims horizontally) before going into shield mode, and it acts as a spike if used up close at the base of the blade. Otherwise it's just a meteor smash.

Up: Roc's Cape

I was originally going to make this a glide, but I decided against it since Pegasus Boots already give you horizontal recovery. Instead, it works like 2 extra jumps. The first jump has Link spin; it goes the highest and he holds his sword slightly out during it, like Meta Knight's N-Air but with vertical recovery. The second jump has Link spread his body out; this gives him an extra vertical boost via a tiny hop the jump makes. The second jump also changes the momentum from vertical to horizontal, but only for a brief moment before Link puts his body down. Another thing: Link doesn't go into special fall during any of this so he can still act out of it with aerials and specials.

Normals

Jab: a simple one-two sword swipe. Basically Marth's jab but with more horizontal reach and less vertical range. The jab is supposed to reference his games' sword always covering a wide area so it made sense to base it off Marth in this instance.

Dash Attack: Past Link hops while kicking forward with the Pegasus Boots. The same as, say, Zero Suit Samus' dash attack.

F-Tilt: Leans forward while stabbing. Similar to Roy's f-tilt but it comes out quicker and has a lingering hitbox.

D-Tilt: same as Toon Link's d-tilt, but with a fire effect instead of an electric one.

U-Tilt: does a sword swipe above him. Good for juggling.

F-Smash: Past Link does a powerful swing with his sword that has great horizontal reach. Like ZSS' f-smash, it reaches behind him, too.

D-Smash: Past Link drives his sword into the ground. The hitbox covering the sword is very powerful, so this is Past Link's strongest smash. You can interrupt the sword planting if you're quick enough, though.

U-Smash: Toon Link's old u-smash, a single upward strike. Like Past Link's f-smash though, it covers a little more range to the left and right. It's also punishable, with a little more endlag

Aerials

N-Air: a sex kick with the Pegasus Boots. Pretty much the same as Twilight Link's, except with cooler footwear.

F-Air: a sword swipe like Toon Link's but it sends at a diagonally upward angle. Awesome combo starter if SHFFLed.

B-Air: a backwards sword strike. Good for edgeguarding, it works like Meta Knight's b-air but has more range and less knockback.

D-Air: Toon Link's old d-air

U-Air: Past Link stabs the sky like the other Links, only much quicker.

Grabs

All of his grabs use his Bug Catching Net from A Link to the Past, though he uses it in a similar way to the Villager's net grab from Smash For (a grab that covered both behind and in front of you like the Bug Catching Net did in ALttP would be really scary). This means he can grab people even if they're not on the ground. This is to keep the theme of every Link having a more utility grab than most other characters.

Pummel: The fastest in the game, like vBrawl Lucas'. Basically he kicks the grabbed opponent with the Pegasus Boots. You can hit a maximum of 8 times if the opponent makes the mistake of not struggling. Realistically, You'd only be able to get in about 5 kicks at most if the other player button mashes his / herself out of the grab.

F-Throw: Past Link picks his opponent up with the Titan Mitts and throws them at a fixed angle forward. This throw doesn't really allow for DI so it's rather strong.

B-Throw: Past Link turns around with the opponent and stabs them away. Like Toon Link's b-throw, it has fixed knockback.

D-Throw: Past Link sets the opponent down and slams his sword into them. Sends at a vertical angle and is quicker than it sounds.

U-Throw: Tosses the opponent up and does a swipe above him. This has a lot of vertical knockback.

Taunts

1) Takes out the Magic Mirror to look at it.

2) Takes out an ocarina-looking flute like in A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. If regularly pressed, you hear the flute song like in A Link to the Past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6rraewoB9E
(this version is the long version. The 4 second version is what I mean)

If you light-press it, you get the Ballad of the Wind Fish instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Ofmt3ZazA
(you hear it about 8 seconds in. Basically, the short version again.)

3) Does a quick spin and raises his sword in the air like when he beats a dungeon in A Link to the Past.

Like with WAAAAH, I made this moveset purely for fun, ESPECIALLY since a third Link will never happen. Even WAAAAH has a better chance :p
Alright, found it!

Lemme know what you think Sharic X.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Hmm, I'll do the same. I didn't think any of those were still actual, legit spoilers.
Well you know there are some people who have yet to experience the truth about
Santa Claus
. Plus I added the tags in hopes that others would do the same. Don't want anything happening to you guys.

Alright, found it!
I'm no Sharic X, but I remember seeing this moveset the first time. I can honestly say I agree that Toon Link not having items unique to his own game is somewhat of a bummer, as I know how it feels with Sonic. Sonic doesn't play how I honestly imagined he should. Plus I'm still pretty bummed Sonic keeps riding the nerf train.

Last edited:

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
Really now? Bring your a-game bois.

Playstation was supposed to be an expansion to the Nintendo 64, Raiden was turned into a cyborg, Santa Claus is not real, Snake hates Sonic, Space core goes to space, Waluigi is not playable in Brawl or Smash 4, Roy's our boy, Sephiroth is the bad guy, Zack dies, Cloud is an impostor, Ridley is too big, Ganondorf does not use his sword to fight in the Smash series, Final Fantasy 13 was a good movie, Sonic 06 was a bad game, Jon leaves Game Grumps.

Edit: Added spoiler tags for people who actually haven't experienced these. Sorry EdgeTheLucas.
Thanks for reminding me… :sadeyes: Gotta keep fighting for PM tho… ;)

Last edited:
S

Sharic X

Gah LBW spoilers.
I've already had it spoiled for me yeah but still. I know we talk about Claus but it's nothing Brawl didn't already do. LBW is too recent, and besides that idea didn't even have a chance so why did you post it?
Spoilers hurt me.
Sorry for the spoiler...I censored it now, but I suppose it's too late.

Anyway, now that Ravio is out of the equation, I am much more inclined to Classic Link. And coming up with a moveset will be easier since now he'll have a sword.

S

Sharic X

Alright, found it!

Lemme know what you think Sharic X.
I absolutely love it. I would just make a few small changes so ALBW version of Classic Link gets a fit into it (since he's the latest Classic Link), but other wise, I love it. Making him differ from the other Links is probably the best way to make him stand out as a good choice.

I'll take your moveset and alter it a bit and show you what I got.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
So my little brother walks in and asked what is up. I end up having to explain to him what Project M is and that it may get new characters. Then this happens:

Brother: "Who are they thinking of adding? Sonic?"
Me: "He is already in the game."
Brother: "Super Sonic?"
Me: "He is a Final Smash."
Brother: "Red Sonic?"
Me: "......Now you are just being silly."

MLGF

Smash Lord
Edit: Actually spoilered now to protect the innocent.
Bardock becomes the first super saiyan as shown in episode of Bardock. Egoraptor will never make another sequelitis. Mario can shoot fireballs after getting a fire flower.

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Interesting plus for Waluigi is, regardless of popularity, he has the most potential to offer a moveset/playstyle that is unique but remains within Smash standards.

S

Sharic X

So my little brother walks in and asked what is up. I end up having to explain to him what Project M is and that it may get new characters. Then this happens:

Brother: "Who are they thinking of adding? Sonic?"
Me: "He is already in the game."
Brother: "Super Sonic?"
Me: "He is a Final Smash."
Brother: "Red Sonic?"
Me: "......Now you are just being silly."
Reminds me of how my friends and I used to play back when we were 7-9. One of us would be Sonic, the another would be Shadow (whom we called Sonic's clone) and another would be "Yellow Sonic" (Super Sonic) whom we called Sonic's "second clone" which no one knew about.

Anyway, I wanted to show you guys a little sketch I did of a possible B button attack Classic Link could have:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Interesting plus for Waluigi is, regardless of popularity, he has the most potential to offer a moveset/playstyle that is unique but remains within Smash standards.
Waluigi has a lesser potential than most candidates. The character that provides the most potential is Isaac, even by Smash's standards. Hence why he is at the top of the poll.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Reminds me of how my friends and I used to play back when we were 7-9. One of us would be Sonic, the another would be Shadow (whom we called Sonic's clone) and another would be "Yellow Sonic" (Super Sonic) whom we called Sonic's "second clone" which no one knew about.

Anyway, I wanted to show you guys a little sketch I did of a possible B button attack Classic Link could have:
That's a very nice sketch! It looks the same as my Fire rod move, though. I assume the difference here is that you can choose if it's a pillar of fire or not by holding b.

Edit:

Waluigi has a lesser potential than most candidates. The character that provides the most potential is Isaac, even by Smash's standards. Hence why he is at the top of the poll.
I wouldn't say lower, he seems pretty flexible actually, if you use your imagination with him.

He's just not as flexible as Isaac or the other top choices, obviously. But he's up there. He's only at the bottom of the poll because lots of people dislike him, not because of bad moveset potential.

Last edited:
S

Sharic X

That's a very nice sketch! It looks the same as my Fire rod move, though. I assume the difference here is that you can choose if it's a pillar of fire or not by holding b.

Edit:

I wouldn't say lower, he seems pretty flexible actually, if you use your imagination with him.

He's just not as flexible as Isaac or the other top choices, obviously. But he's up there. He's only at the bottom of the poll because lots of people dislike him, not because of moveset potential.
Like I mentioned earlier, I only want to tweak some things. Here, with the B, I saw the opportunity to add a little more to the move. Just like Mega Man and Samus can charge their shots, Link can charge the Fire Rod's pyro effect.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Off-topic for a moment, what are your views on Public Domain characters guys? I remember Santa and Dracula being suggestions around Christmas. Regardless of how serious the statement was, it got me thinking about Public Domains and such. I do understand the point of Smash is to be a Nintendo All-Stars crossover, but in favor of avoiding C&D would you guys even consider a Public Domain?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Off-topic for a moment, what are your views on Public Domain characters guys? I remember Santa and Dracula being suggestions around Christmas. Regardless of how serious the statement was, it got me thinking about Public Domains and such. I do understand the point of Smash is to be a Nintendo All-Stars crossover, but in favor of avoiding C&D would you guys even consider a Public Domain?
If they were sufficiently good characters, yeah, although I'd still prefer Nintendo characters.

Fortress

Smash Master
All of my downvotes for Project Ultimate Fanboy Fanbuild Starring Captain Planet, or just PUFFSCP for short.

Characters that appeared in some way in Smash should be the one absolute requirement before any sort of consideration, official or otherwise. Because I'll be damned before I see Bayonetta or The Incredible Hulk end up in this game.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
All of my downvotes for Project Ultimate Fanboy Fanbuild Starring Captain Planet, or just PUFFSCP for short.

Characters that appeared in some way in Smash should be the one absolute requirement before any sort of consideration, official or otherwise. Because I'll be damned before I see Bayonetta or The Incredible Hulk end up in this game.
I said Public Domain, not 3rd party or another 1st party. That crap would be absolutely ridiculous.

It is not like I'm asking you to consider Jesus, Buddha, the Easter Bunny, and other ridiculous suggestions.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I completely misunderstood, but I'm still putting in a downvote for Hulk.
A Public Domain is something free of use. Some Public Domains are restricted to non-profitable use though. And yes, I second that downvote for Hulk.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Almost all donkey kong's moves can be borrowed for Hulk, why haven't I seen this before?! 0_o

Also: Felicia for smash! C'mon her name is mentioned right there :
{F}ox
{E}ntei
{L}uigi
{I}saac
{C}aptain falcon
{I}ke
{A}...(can't find any one that starts with A :/ )
How can you say no to this face??
image.jpg

Last edited:
S

Sharic X

Almost all donkey kong's moves can be borrowed for Hulk, why haven't I seen this before?! 0_o

Also: Felicia for smash! C'mon her name is mentioned right there :
Fox
Entei
Luigi
Isaac
Captain falcon
Ike
A...(can't find any one that starts with A :/ )
How can you say no to this face??View attachment 9629
It's not the face I can't say no to...But rather, er..something else...heh heh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom