• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I don't think Pikachu players would appreciate having Pichu's self-damaging mechanics incorporated into his character...

I don't think you understand Pichu if you think that's the only thing Pichu does that's different from Pikachu.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
were people really wanting sonic characters, isnt one too fast?
The same misconception people make over and over again. Not every Sonic character is as fast as Sonic. And hey, at least I'm not voting for an 8th character for an already over saturated series. God forbid we overlook Melee's least popular character in favor for a character who would actually be new and fun. That would be a travesty.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If anybody's interested...

I have an idea to how P.T. could work as a standalone character.
He would hold 6 Pokemon TOTAL. But the pokemon would be there just for attack animations (thus, PT would only take 1 slot)
What PT would do is summon the pokemon depending on the attack.
Here's what I got...

4 Pokemon for his specials.
-B: (Torchik using Flamethrower) [Cloned from Charizard]
-B+Tilt: (Chikorita using 3 quick razor leaves) [Cloned from Ivysaur]
-B+up: (Piplup using Waterfall) [Cloned from Squirtle]
-B+down: (Bellossom inducing sleep) [Cloned from Jigglypuff's sing]

1 Pokemon for grab.
(Gulpin) [Could be cloned from Wario's bite]

and 1 Pokemon for smash attacks (and maybe even regular attacks? Although PT could still punch and kick)
(Meowth using scratch attacks) [Attacks could be cloned from Wolf]

Final Smash:
Triple finish, except with Chikorita, Torchik, and Piplup. :D (Or a legendary that he hasn't captured yet, but is always looking out for him)

(In total, 6 Pokemon. See? Red can still play by the rules!)

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I would love PT to make up for his absence in the roster (due to the Pokemon trio splitting ways).

But I'm not sure that's gonna happen.
But if it IS possible, I hope his moveset was all about weak Pokeball pokemon. Like a brief Torchic attack, a brief Piplup, a Mucnhlax barrier to eat projectiles, etc. All about brief Pokemon attacks.

These are my suggestions:

4 Pokemon for his specials.
-B: (Torchik using Flamethrower) [Cloned from Charizard]
-B+Tilt: (Chikorita using 3 quick razor leaves) [Cloned from Ivysaur]
-B+up: (Piplup using Waterfall) [Cloned from Squirtle]
-B+down: (Bellossom inducing sleep) [Cloned from Jigglypuff's sing]

1 Pokemon for grab.
(Gulpin) [Could be cloned from Wario's bite]

and 1 Pokemon for smash attacks.
(Meowth using scratch attacks) [Attacks could be cloned from Wolf]

(In total, 6 Pokemon. See? Red can still play by the rules!)

In fact, Meowth could take care of all the non-special, and non-grab attacks.

I like these ideas. I don't know if they can clone moves from different characters though.. they might not be able to give one character charizard and ivysaurs clone moves because of their articles. I could be wrong though

I'd also rather see him have more original moves too. But either way this would be cool.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I saw the thing about Pichu, but not the 3rd parties. Interesting. Would this technically disqualify them from our votes here?

The plot thickens...

To be honest, if they're removed from the ballot, I really wouldn't mind. No offence, but I was really getting annoyed of the "Eughhhh, why people hate Shadow? I love Shadow, WHY PEOPLE HATE SHADOW? SO MUCH DOOKEY-BUTT SHADOW HATE! UUUGGGGHHHH MUTHA ****ERS!"

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I like these ideas. I don't know if they can clone moves from different characters though.. they might not be able to give one character charizard and ivysaurs clone moves because of their articles. I could be wrong though

I'd also rather see him have more original moves too. But either way this would be cool.

Aye, I'd also like to see him have some unique moves.
Always dreamed of capturing an opponent in a pokeball, at least momentarily. XD

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I saw the thing about Pichu, but not the 3rd parties. Interesting. Would this technically disqualify them from our votes here?

The plot thickens...

Yeah I didn't see anything about third party characters either...

Personally I would really appreciate if they could rule out characters from the list. That'd make things much nicer.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Aye, I'd also like to see him have some unique moves.
Always dreamed of capturing an opponent in a pokeball, at least momentarily. XD

When I say original moves, i don't just mean literally original pokemon trainer moves of his own. I mean having his own set of pokemon with different pokemon moves, not all being cloned.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
In that AMA, he said something about absolutely not adding non-Nintendo characters (it's down a ways). Not sure how that applies to the Sonic characters, but it's worth thinking about.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
In that AMA, he said something about absolutely not adding non-Nintendo characters (it's down a ways). Not sure how that applies to the Sonic characters, but it's worth thinking about.

It means they aren't in the question (assuming you're right about him saying that). It's pretty basic, Sonic isn't Nintendo so no Sonic characters.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It should disqualify them. As much as I want Tails it sure helps with vote counting.
Are we sure that applies to 3rd party characters that appear in Brawl=???

Because if not, Tails, Shadow, Knuckles, Grey Fox, heck, freaking Metal Gear REX and RAY could be playable!!! :laugh:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I believe he worded it "We're sticking to Nintendo characters"
Found it:
alo81: "What are your guys thoughts on adding non-Nintendo characters? Is it just something you wouldn't even consider, or is it an option on the table (though I'd imagine a fairly tough one.)"

warchamp7: "Not even entertaining the idea, we're doing our best to stay in Nintendo's good graces as much as possible"

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I really wish it didn't feel like red and pichu were competing, I'd gladly also take pichu, but I don't know how many people would want 9 pokemon characters.

Isn't it funny though how pokemon has the most overall veterans? All those 9 characters were technically playable in smash.

Malion

Smash Ace
The same misconception people make over and over again. Not every Sonic character is as fast as Sonic. And hey, at least I'm not voting for an 8th character for an already over saturated series. God forbid we overlook Melee's least popular character in favor for a character who would actually be new and fun. That would be a travesty.
In 2d games they pretty much are.... at least in the classic era. sonic, tails and knuckles could be used interchangably only the latter two could fly making them indisputably better.

These days there are obviously slow sonic characters but they are usually beefed up for 2d games like sonic advance.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Found it:
alo81: "What are your guys thoughts on adding non-Nintendo characters? Is it just something you wouldn't even consider, or is it an option on the table (though I'd imagine a fairly tough one.)"

warchamp7: "Not even entertaining the idea, we're doing our best to stay in Nintendo's good graces as much as possible"
Okay, good find.

Eh, it is what it is then.

Really though, we should redo and restart this poll. Keep the current records in an archive, and then setup a new one without 3rd party characters.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
I would put in:

1. Little Mac
2. Isaac
3. Ridley
4. Sammy

I'm sorry but Toon Link feels a lot different to me. I'm rather them tweak YL and make TL even more his own character. I know I'm in the minority for wanting YL.

I hope LM possibly being in the new one doesn't stop the BR because he's a classic character that deserves it.

I actually think Toad, Waluigi, Baby Bowser and Paper Mario have a lot of potential. I understand that people hate Waluigi but that just makes it funny. Toad is kind of lame only because of the character being a species and stuff--he could have plenty of Mario Party/Mario 2 inspired moves (e.g. airthrows where he picks you up from above like a turnup and stuff). Paper Mario definitely has a lot of potential and is different than most characters aesthetically.

I hate BB. Funky Kong might be cool with guns and orange grenades and stuff from DK 64.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
UPVOTES
Sukapon
Tom Nook
Ridley
K.Rool
Knuckles

HALF-VOTES

DOWNVOTES
Isaac

Reason: I just don't find Isaac a compelling character, and the gold "boobs" on his armor makes him look more ridiculous than anything.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Yeah, I think we should really start this poll over again. New rules, possibly a new voting method.

Additional find:

warchamp7: "Isaac definitely falls within our 'rules' for clones, we'll see what happens."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think we've confirmed 3rd parties being deconfirmed. Unless you wanna keep a useless vote I'd chang- wait every vote is useless nvm
That was a throw away vote anyway

I didn't have a 5th choice

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
In 2d games they pretty much are.... at least in the classic era. sonic, tails and knuckles could be used interchangably only the latter two could fly making them indisputably better.

These days there are obviously slow sonic characters but they are usually beefed up for 2d games like sonic advance.
Knuckles and Tails were both slower even in the 2-D Sonic games. Mind you Tails wasn't that much slower than Sonic, but Knuckles was indeed slower and couldn't jump nearly as high as a trade off for glide. I'm well aware of how Sonic works since I have nearly every game in the series.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
There won't be a poll redo until something significant happens -- i.e. a character being announced.

Anyone who voted for the Sonic characters are free to change their vote though. So there's that.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord

I think he was just poking fun at Sonic. It's pretty hard to take a game seriously when not even the creators respect it.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There won't be a poll redo until something significant happens -- i.e. a character being announced.

Anyone who voted for the Sonic characters are free to change their vote though. So there's that.
Okay... :ohwell:

But until then...
Up Vote:
Pichu
Young Link (wai u no here)
Plusle and Minun (grrh)
Ridley
K. Rool
Hector (why the hell are people down voting him=??? He's got a mofo axe!!!)
Lyn

Half-Vote:
Krystal
Isaac
Dixie Kong

Vote down:
Waluigi
Toad
Sami
Toon Zelda

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Found it:

As TopTierPichu put it a page ago about Pichu.... Dreams = Crushed

Sayonara Shadow the Hedgehog...

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Just to clarify, this is what Warchamp said when asked about Pichu.

warchamp said:
Not in 3.0. Not out of the question as a possible clone somewhere down the line. We don't know what we're doing yet in regards to that though.
That makes me pretty happy. That's really all I want - for Pichu to get some legit consideration. The PMBR always makes the right decision in the end, so if they decided against Pichu, I'd be fine with that. I'd just be really sad if they never even considered him because he'd been bad in Melee.

So I think, with all this.... wow! I can't even talk about characters right now. So much new info, so many announcements. I'm counting down the days to December 9th. =)

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
The PMBR always makes the right decision in the end.
I dunno, the "prepare yourself" sound clip on Ike's F-Smash was pretty stupid. Sure, it's super tiny and really doesn't matter but they have made a few missteps before and it's best to be aware of that. There's nothing more dangerous than unyielding faith.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I dunno, the "prepare yourself" sound clip on Ike's F-Smash was pretty stupid. Sure, it's super tiny and really doesn't matter but they have made a few missteps before and it's best to be aware of that. There's nothing more dangerous than unyielding faith.

See and I thought that was a cool addition. So I don't think that really counts as a slip-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom