• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Mach Rider is one of my top hopefuls for Smash 4, hadn't even considered him for PM.

I would think it's awesome, but he'd need a new design based on blue/red suit with the white helmet (the one from his game) as opposed to the generic biker design he got in Melee.

Nice :p
What do you think of the move set I concocted?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I want Lanky Kong in.

Neutral B: Grape Shooter. Like Diddy´s Peanut Popgun, except a little slower. It´s easier to shoot multiple grapes in a row than peanuts, but they travel rather slowly.
Down B: Handstand. Lanky does a handstand which allows for quicker movement. Can only be used on the ground, but Lanky can jump using it. He also makes funny noises, cause he´s Lanky.
Side B: Stretches his arms out, just for you. Basically a twisting punch with both of his arms out in front and backside of him. Comes out moderately fast, and has awesome reach but has bad priority.
Up B: Baboon Baloon. Lanky´s belly inflates (just like a baloon) which allows him to fly for a brief period in any given direction. Travels very slowly, and Lanky´s hurtbox becomes larger cause of his inflated belly, but it´s a good recovery.

Characteristics:

-Rather slow, slower runner than all of the Kongs including Donkey Kong. Just a tad slower than Luigi.
-Lot´s of range, triumphing even the Leader of the Bunch :dk2: himself, and Marth.
-Has some quirky attacks which are a good / ideal mix of strenght and speed.
-Handstand makes him a lot quicker
-Amazing grab range and good grab-related combos.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Wait, people were serious about wanting Slippy in? I thought that that was all sarcasm.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Slippy would be a cute idea. Not opposed to him, he´d be funny.

Malion

Smash Ace
I want slippy as a sort of joke. but things people suggest as jokes ultimately become seriously considered. It's the way of the internet.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm really excited at the idea of Saki. Heck I was excited when Saki was just a skin for Sheik (a very flawed one, at that). So if he becomes a character, I'd main in on the spot.

I wonder where TC got the image for his banner.

I wonder if there's any way for his Final Smash to be cloned from Snake (if Roy is cloned from Marth, and gets Ike's final smash, I see no reason why Saki couldn't have Snake's)
Instead of launching grenades, it would have to be stronger versions of his laser bursts. If they could replace the Helicopter+ladder thing with Ruffian Saki, it would be.. mind-meltingly awesome.

Another variant would be for him to clone Ganondorf's, and instead of turning into Beast Ganon, he turns into Ruffian mode, and acts the same way.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
So on the grounds of games, franchises, reps, who deserves what, relevance, money, and most importantly game play... I think Slippy doesn't really add much at all to PM as an experience. And again, you're digging deep into side characters when there are so many candidates that have more importance and more interesting possibilities.

I don't want Slippy, but none of this aside from gameplay should have any impact on the PM roster.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I don't want Slippy, but none of this aside from gameplay should have any impact on the PM roster.

I've said it so many times before, but a character's importance and popularity are just as important. Otherwise you can throw in the randomest characters because of their "gameplay"

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
I've said it so many times before, but a character's importance and popularity are just as important. Otherwise you can throw in the randomest characters because of their "gameplay"
I think the importance should based on things like: was this character supposed to be in brawl, then is there easy cloneability, has the character been worked in before (psas, models, textures, imports, recolors, etc.), what can be done for interesting gameplay, do the fans want this character (can the character be fused with, or replace a forbidden 7 or fallen 5), is there odd things to code?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I think the importance should based on things like: was this character supposed to be in brawl, then is there easy cloneability, has the character been worked in before (psas, models, textures, imports, recolors, etc.), what can be done for interesting gameplay, do the fans want this character (can the character be fused with, or replace a forbidden 7 or fallen 5), is there odd things to code?

Preaching to the choir... see OP

But the "supposed to be in Brawl" thing means absolutely nothing, especially when there's no work on the character to draw from.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Preaching to the choir... see OP

But the "supposed to be in Brawl" thing means absolutely nothing, especially when there's no work on the character to draw from.
I disagree. I think that reason is a valid one. Especially when there are psas, textures, and previous work in the vault of the forbidden 7. Besides, pm should eventually give us something pichu related because of the April's fool joke. Besides, all three forbidden 7 have a clone to get a move set from (plusle and minun less so, but it could be done)

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I disagree. I think that reason is a valid one. Especially when there are psas, textures, and previous work in the vault of the forbidden 7. Besides, pm should eventually give us something pichu related because of the April's fool joke. Besides, all three forbidden 7 have a clone to get a move set from (plusle and minun less so, but it could be done)

Who says there are PSAs, textures, and previous work in the vault of the forbidden 7? I don't see jack**** on Pichu, Tetra, and Plusle & Minun.

There is no rule that they have to give us something because of an April Fool's joke... or have you forgotten the meaning of April Fool's?

Plusle and Minun can't be done reasonably. It already took them so long with the Ice Climbers. How do you propose P&M to work? How would their Up Bs work? How would you expect them to cope with the slew of the glitches due to the complexity of the character?

This "forbidden 7" crap means absolutely nothing right now. And if you do want them to do them, then you pretty much spend most of the slots on characters really don't care for much.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I do think Assist Trophies are the biggest proof of characters that were almost in Brawl but didn't make it based on time/resources.
(Obviously, be reasonable. There wasn't going to be Shadow/Grey Fox, nor Latiku/Metroid/HammerBros./other minor enemies, etc.)

trojanpooh

Smash Lord

Project M is a competitive mod. It's meant to add to the meta. Obviously saying the only one that mattered was hyperbole, but no, there's no way importance and popularity are "just as important". Gameplay should take precedence above all else.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
The Forbidden 7 includes: Roy, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, and Plusle and Minun. I would be content if this was the final choice for CECs, except that Dr. Mario is deconfirmed. Toon Sheik doesn't exist, so that would probs be Tetra. Dr. Mario's slot would remain open. Plusle and Minun I could do without due to how much trouble they've had with the Icies and Oli. Pichu could remedy that. Isaac could fill Doc's open slot because of fan support. I myself don't want Telda/Tetra but I see no real arguments against them. Anyone against this being the CEC roster?
Mewtwo
Roy
Dixie Kong
Pichu
Tetra
Toon Zelda
Isaac

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I wouldn't want Zelda/Tetra taking up two slots. I'd replace Toon Zelda with someone else, specifically Bowser Jr but really I'd take anyone over Toon Zelda.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The Forbidden 7 includes: Roy, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, and Plusle and Minun. I would be content if this was the final choice for CECs, except that Dr. Mario is deconfirmed. Toon Sheik doesn't exist, so that would probs be Tetra. Dr. Mario's slot would remain open. Plusle and Minun I could do without due to how much trouble they've had with the Icies and Oli. Pichu could remedy that. Isaac could fill Doc's open slot because of fan support. I myself don't want Telda/Tetra but I see no real arguments against them. Anyone against this being the CEC roster?
Mewtwo
Roy
Dixie Kong
Pichu
Tetra
Toon Zelda
Isaac

I can handle Pokemon because at least they've been playable before, but Toon Zelda and Tetra, no thanks. One of them at most (Tetra).
With the rest, I have no qualms.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
@Anti-Guy, you make a good case, but I think the similarities between Lyn and "4th Starfox Character" keep mounting. From a gameplay perspective, if you clone Lyn off of Ike, then you've got four Fire Emblem characters with similar specials (a counter, a straight vertical recovery, etc) - if you clone Slippy or Peppy off of Wolf, you've got 4 spacies with the same things. I also don't see Wolf as a half clone - he plays more like a wholly unique character that just shares aesthetic similarities with his fellow Star Fox buddies, and specials that have the same core idea behind them. His shine is pretty wild, for example, and has different properties in how it hits people/what direction they go. (Part of why I love watching Chillen so much).

It seems like Star Fox and Fire Emblem are both less successful series than DK/Mario/Metroid/Pokemon/Zelda, so as far as who deserves what or who's earned a spot, they can't really make claims one way or another. It does make me sad to see how far Star Fox has fallen, though. I wonder why the last few games have done so badly?

Fire Emblem characters and Star Fox characters both play in very unique ways that kind of separate them from the rest of the cast. And among those series, Marth/Roy have a lot in common and Fox/Falco have a lot in common. (But also, because of their properties and subtle differences, play completely differently). So if you were to clone Lyn from Ike, and Slippy/Peppy/Fox's weird daughter off of Wolf, you'd get two characters that continue the traditions of their respective franchises, while still having a lot of room for the PMBR to shake things up.

I still don't think I'd want a Star Fox character as my top 5. I feel pretty good about my list right now, haha. It's just interesting how similar the case for a fourth FE rep and the case for a fourth SF rep could be.

I think the most important thing about franchise representation is to look at the really popular series that are relatively under-staffed. DK and Metroid are both really huge franchises, and they've both got two people. That's kind of a clear-cut instance of "woah, they probably deserve more!"

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Who says there are PSAs, textures, and previous work in the vault of the forbidden 7? I don't see jack**** on Pichu, Tetra, and Plusle & Minun.

There is no rule that they have to give us something because of an April Fool's joke... or have you forgotten the meaning of April Fool's?

Plusle and Minun can't be done reasonably. It already took them so long with the Ice Climbers. How do you propose P&M to work? How would their Up Bs work? How would you expect them to cope with the slew of the glitches due to the complexity of the character?

This "forbidden 7" crap means absolutely nothing right now. And if you do want them to do them, then you pretty much spend most of the slots on characters really don't care for much.
A simple search on the vault gave me models for all of the forbidden 7. And i found models with recolors on pikachu for not only pichu, but also for plusle/minium as well. Found some pm quality models/ recolors on pichu.

Jokes must have some truth in them to be funny. So either the joke was a completely lying **** move or it was the best thing ever. Besides, we got the turbo mode reveal from it. Why not pichu?

Now, a clone of pikachu could be done for either pichu or for plusle/minum (plumin). For plumin, using pikachu as the base: make two characters, but count them as 1 unit, like mario riding yoshi. It only looks like they are two characters. Have two attacks come out at different times, or just make weird hit boxes or something.
But coding for ic took so long because the ice climber attacks have different properties, right?With ice climbers as a make, they could Make the plusle/minum attack properties the same or something. Personally, I'm for plumin using each other as weapons to attack the enemy, like spinning around each other and hitting the enemy, etc. Couldn't you make the recovery on a B forward move, and have the B up as an attack attack? (OH GOD THE HERESY)

even if we did all the forbidden 7, there would still be character slots open for something like issaac or ridley because doctor mario has a pm counterpart. Tetra/tzelda could be one character clones from shiek/zelda. Opens up another. So two spots are still available. Give plumin a pichu color scheme with the pichu outfits (goggles, and green cape) and you have all the fallen 5 represented in some form. (Give tink a yink texture or something and bam!)

Besides, the forbidden seven are still famous and popular, probably more so than a lot of the suggestions... like that ditto humping a voltorb dude that never made it to america. I mean Dixie was the star of two DK games. Plumin was the pikachu of ruby, sapphire, and emerald. Three games they appeared in. And the toons are still pretty famous, I mean wasn't toon zelda was your partner in the phantom hourglass game? I know she helped you officially kill ganon in one of the games. Wasn't tetra a partner in wind waker?

At the very least, they have cloneable counterparts, someone like isaac or ridley would have to be made from scratch.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Do you think there could be a way where Telda and Tetra don't take up two separate slots? Samus has a stance change and only uses up one slot. I know a full character swap is a whole different beast but it seems like similar technology.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Do you think there could be a way where Telda and Tetra don't take up two separate slots? Samus has a stance change and only uses up one slot. I know a full character swap is a whole different beast but it seems like similar technology.
I'd think it be possible. They also put on sunglasses on squirtle, I don't see how they couldn't combine the different texture+different moves from squirtle and samus

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Mewtwo
Roy
Dixie Kong
Pichu
Tetra
Toon Zelda
Isaac

I think that's awesome if you take out Zelda and replace her with something else (maybe Ridley?)

I really love Dixie and Tetra, I'm pretty fond of Pichu, and I think Isaac joining would make a lot of people happy. But as much as I love Tetra, Toon Zelda joining on top of her would kind of feel unnecessary, haha. I'm sure the playstyle would be great, but I wouldn't get that excited about her.

But if you make it Ridley, then that's a pretty nice Clone Engine roster that probably makes everyone happy, to some degree. If this thread has conclusively proven one thing, it's that you'll never be able to pick 5 characters that everyone agrees are the best 5 choices!

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
I think that's awesome if you take out Zelda and replace her with something else (maybe Ridley?)

I really love Dixie and Tetra, I'm pretty fond of Pichu, and I think Isaac joining would make a lot of people happy. But as much as I love Tetra, Toon Zelda joining on top of her would kind of feel unnecessary, haha. I'm sure the playstyle would be great, but I wouldn't get that excited about her.

But if you make it Ridley, then that's a pretty nice Clone Engine roster that probably makes everyone happy, to some degree. If this thread has conclusively proven one thing, it's that you'll never be able to pick 5 characters that everyone agrees are the best 5 choices!
I mean, theriticially, they make a clone set based a fusion of zelda and shiek. Like a literal fusion or something. They could take the best moves from each or whatever they want to do. They could have alternative outfits of both tetra and toon zelda because they are technically the same character.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Hold on cuz I'm about to get radical. If they can make Telda/Tetra switch like Samus's beams, they could possibly make Zelda/Sheik do the same therefore opening up a slot where Sheik used to be. That means 2 more slots are open from my initial list, which could be filled with Ridley and Lyn. That is if, IF, they could get that idea working.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Personally, this is what id like-
Mewtwo
Roy
Pichu
Dixie Kong/King K. Rool (Depending on Smash 4. If neither gets in, Dixie. If both, ..., I dunno)
Issac
Andy/Sami(Either works. I prefer Andy, but whatever)
WAALUWEEGEESukapon

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Hold on cuz I'm about to get radical. If they can make Telda/Tetra switch like Samus's beams, they could possibly make Zelda/Sheik do the same therefore opening up a slot where Sheik used to be. That means 2 more slots are open from my initial list, which could be filled with Ridley and Lyn. That is if, IF, they could get that idea working.
I mean yeah, that's what I was basically saying. Combine the beam idea with the glasses texture switch idea, have the tetra/telda switch attack and texture forms when they taunt or something.
That, or make one tetra/telda character and fuse the attacks of both of zelda and shiek into a fused form in one character with alternative costumes (toon zelda and tetra).
Either way that is one more spot that is open for more characters will still having the forbidden 7.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I mean yeah, that's what I was basically saying. Combine the beam idea with the glasses texture switch idea, have the tetra/telda switch attack and texture forms when they taunt or something.
That, or make one tetra/telda character and fuse the attacks of both of zelda and shiek into a fused form in one character with alternative costumes (toon zelda and tetra).
Either way that is one more spot that is open for more characters will still having the forbidden 7.
I think you ignored the majority of my post. That was one of my points so I agree but the main focus was the possibility of an extra character slot we didn't have before.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
To my knowledge, for a one slot Zelda/Sheik to work you would need one character that have both Zelda and Sheiks articles.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
I think you ignored the majority of my post. That was one of my points so I agree but the main focus was the possibility of an extra character slot we didn't have before.
ohhhh, i get what you're saying now. Wasn't telda and tetra separate files though? :I I see the possibility of having both, and saving one spot, but not saving two spots.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
ohhhh, i get what you're saying now. Wasn't telda and tetra separate files though? :I I see the possibility of having both, and saving one spot, but not saving two spots.
If we could do the taunt switch to save a spot with Telda/Tetra, I bet we could do that for Sheik/Zelda to get a spot.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
If we could do the taunt switch to save a spot with Telda/Tetra, I bet we could do that for Sheik/Zelda to get a spot.
wait are you saying to put taunts on zelda and sheik that could change them into their toon counter parts, and that could save two spots?
I mean yes, that's an awesome idea to save space for more characters, but that would mean a character with 3 different styles...It's like pokemon trainer on steroids.
I suppose you could put the switch mechanics on all the taunts and now you'll free up some new b down moves, which would be interesting, but I mena that would make zelda/sheik potentially MORE OP.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
wait are you saying to put taunts on zelda and sheik that could change them into their toon counter parts, and that could save two spots?
I mean yes, that's an awesome idea to save space for more characters, but that would mean a character with 3 different styles...It's like pokemon trainer on steroids.
I suppose you could put the switch mechanics on all the taunts and now you'll free up some new b down moves, which would be interesting, but I mena that would make zelda/sheik potentially MORE OP.
No, I mean somehow making Tetra/Telda only take up one slot like how Samus's taunt switch doesn't use up 2 slots. Then use that magic on Zelda/Sheik to get their extra slot back. Essentially giving us two extra slots we wouldn't have before. Or, Zetra(does that sound better than Tetra/Telda?) could just not be a thing at all and that would save 2 slots :p

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
No, he mean Zelda & Sheik on the same slot, and use the method behind Samus' beam switch to switch between them, saving a slot. and then do the same for toon version. But like mentioned above, I don't think it's possible.
Oh, is Samus/ZSS really only one character slot? If so, that's pretty crazy and kind of awesome.
No, Samus' two set of beams is.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Oh, is Samus/ZSS really only one character slot? If so, that's pretty crazy and kind of awesome.

Yeah, if they could put Toon Zelda in without losing a slot, that's pretty sick. And if they can get an extra slot by doing some fancy footwork with Sheik/Zelda, that's even crazier. I dunno if it's feasible at all, but just for the sake of dreaming I'll say heeeeellllssss yeaaaaaahhh.

I do hope that one day, Danturion is able to just blow the game wide open by removing the character cap altogether. Project M with a clone engine that's open to the public and no cap on how many characters could be added? *mind explodes*

arcticfox8

Smash Champion

Yeah, if they could put Toon Zelda in without losing a slot, that's pretty sick. And if they can get an extra slot by doing some fancy footwork with Sheik/Zelda, that's even crazier. I dunno if it's feasible at all, but just for the sake of dreaming I'll say heeeeellllssss yeaaaaaahhh.

I do hope that one day, Danturion is able to just blow the game wide open by removing the character cap altogether. Project M with a clone engine that's open to the public and no cap on how many characters could be added? *mind explodes*
That's another thing. If they could put that magic on Samus/ZSS(because they do use separate slots) thats ANOTHER SLOT(Slippy confirmed #holla). But yeah this is a pretty radical concept. It'd be boss if they could just blow the cap altogether.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace

Project M would have to be renamed Project Mugen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom