• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Aside from doctor Mario, mewtwo, young link, and Roy, the forbidden 7 should be put in. Dixie would require little effort.
it be nice if one of the texture hackers for the team make a legit young link that could be downloaded from brawlvault.
I think Dixie would be fun, especially if she could wave dash well and had a good air game.
I think pichu could be replaced by plusle and minium. Put double pichu properties on their attacks. Make him the ultimate glass canon. clone from either pikachu or ice climbers, not like they'll use a lot of projectiles. put a pichu skin as an alt costume and you're golden. There's a lot of work done on pichu already, why not capitalize?. Toon Zelda/tetra could be easily cloned to be faster with better air game and wave dashes.
They were supposed to be in brawl anyways.
But if I could add anyone, it would be MU from awakening. So many options with magic, which has been an aspect that fe has ignored in smash

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
I would be down to see Plusule and Minun-- the only thing I'm worried about is feasibility and whether or not that would eat up TWO characters spots. Correct me if I'm wrong on that though, I wouldn't know as well as some.

Malion

Smash Ace
If any pokemon gets in I hope it's drifloon so you can drag your opponent to hell.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
You know what? We need Youngster Joey as a PT clone. We need Youngster Joey chilling in the background while you switch between his three top percentile Ratattas. #toptier

Malion

Smash Ace
You know what? We need Youngster Joey as a PT clone. We need Youngster Joey chilling in the background while you switch between his three top percentile Ratattas. #toptier
when Snake does his codec taunt on him he personally answers the call to brag to snake about his rattatas for an extended period.

(which makes me wonder what happens when snake taunts on mewtwo and roy, hmm)

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I would be down to see Plusule and Minun-- the only thing I'm worried about is feasibility and whether or not that would eat up TWO characters spots. Correct me if I'm wrong on that though, I wouldn't know as well as some.

I think Danturion was talking about how he'd figured out a way to give people Ice Climbers' mechanics, where they're 2 in 1. I'm not totally sure, the stuff he was talking about was way over my head, but he had 8 characters on the screen and stuff.

So if that's the case, it might just be 1 character, and then the second instance of that character pulls its textures from a different place.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
QUESTION TIME:

What if Plusle and Minum were a 2-in-1 character... in animation only.

I've brought this example up before, but in Punch Time Explosion, Billy & Mandy are "glued" together despite being two characters.
They move together, they attack together, and they even use each other for attacks. But they're still "one" unseparatable character.

XRagingxDemonX

Smash Cadet
trojanpooh post: 16020231 said:
Not if Pichu was left out, to tease Pichu and not include him. Subtle difference.

Again, they never once teased Lyn. But if they did and then failed to deliver it would be in poor taste. Not a personal attack, but mistakes can hurt too

You also can't prove that any of these new characters would be better. Pichu is established as a character, we have a general idea of how he should play. Everyone else's popularity is based on wild speculation and imagination. And from what I've read, many theorized movesets wouldn't even work properly and would need to be dumbed down.

That makes him more important. That means there are people out there who main as him and may not make the switch to Project M if he's absent. Imagine if Fox wasn't in Project M, would you suggest he wasn't important because we've already played as him? Just because you don't like him doesn't make his veteran status any less important.

The issue isn't the inclusion of Pichu, it's teasing him. Even if it was a joke it shows a blatant lack of respect for a slice of the community, no matter now small. I'm sure the PMBR didn't intend it that way, but it was still in poor taste. Had they never done that we wouldn't be having a discussion about class or entitlement or any of this.

In case you haven't noticed most of Pichu discussion throughout the history of this thread is brought up by anti-Pichu people. They say something uneducated about Pichu and someone corrects them. Then it snowballs. You simply can't control the flow of a thread by suggesting a topic, they just happen by chance.
Comparing Pichu with Fox is like comparing trash or moldy food to something good or gourmet food. Pichu is deemed bad by everyone while fox is determined as a good character. You may main as her and like how she is faster than pika, but it doesn't take away that she is bad. So imagining a bad character not making it... "Good!" Imagining a good character not making it. "Wtf is this madness!" Big difference. That statement would be valid if it were fox and falco, falco not making it. Other than that you cant compare universal bad to good like that

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Conspiring Pichu with Fox is like comparing trash or moldy food to something good or gourmet food. Pichu is deemed bad by everyone while fox is determined as a good character. You may main as her and like how she is faster than pika, but it doesn't take away that she is bad. So imagining a bad character not making it... "Good!" Imagining a good character not making it. "Wtf is this madness!" Big difference. That statement would be valid if it were fox and falco, falco not making it. Other than that you cant compare universal bad to good like that

So then they shouldn't have brought back Roy or Mewtwo either, because they were bad.

"But Chizurm! Pichu was meant to be bad! Sakurai intended it!"

That's fine - Sakurai's intentions are often bizarre. We don't want tripping to stay in the game just because he intended it, after all.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Conspiring Pichu with Fox is like comparing trash or moldy food to something good or gourmet food. Pichu is deemed bad by everyone while fox is determined as a good character. You may main as her and like how she is faster than pika, but it doesn't take away that she is bad. So imagining a bad character not making it... "Good!" Imagining a good character not making it. "Wtf is this madness!" Big difference. That statement would be valid if it were fox and falco, falco not making it. Other than that you cant compare universal bad to good like that
Pichu is the same speed as Pika, just sayin....

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why are people so against Pichu but are okay with Roy=???

Seriously, there is like no difference between them. They were both clones. Who says Pichu can't be made into a BAMF like Roy was made into=??? (just add ph1r3!) :awesome:
If they are giving spots to third party characters then I don't mind another sonic character.
My only reason for the shadow downvote comes from the third party potential legal problems but if they are willing to pursue it I'd change my downvote on sonic characters to 1/2 votes.

I'd give shadow the upvote but my upvotes aren't changing.
I wasn't really worried about your vote.

Honestly, Shadow is just less exciting than Tails or Robotnik, who are the 2 most obvious choices (although I think Knuckles would be the best choice, but that's my personal preference, and honestly, most people disagree with it, so I'm willing to bow out on that one).

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Why are people so against Pichu but are okay with Roy=???

Seriously, there is like no difference between them. They were both clones. Who says Pichu can't be made into a BAMF like Roy was made into=??? (just add ph1r3!) :awesome:

I wasn't really worried about your vote.

Honestly, Shadow is just less exciting than Tails or Robotnik, who are the 2 most obvious choices (although I think Knuckles would be the best choice, but that's my personal preference, and honestly, most people disagree with it, so I'm willing to bow out on that one).
We are ok with Roy because he is a fire emblem lord, and he had a unique moveset with a few good aspects. He also had much different physics and mechanics than marth. And Shadow is more exciting than tails and robotnik. All robotnik does is sit in his egg hover ship and fight inside robots, he wouldnt work, no matter which way you slice it. And that leaves us with Tails vs Shadow, where shadow gets more light than tails nowadays and he actually has fighting powers, in the game tails is just a sonic that can fly, and fly in planes. My point is, the only villan worth adding from the sonic games would be shadow, and the only sonic clone character worth adding is shadow, shadow outclasses tails and evcery other character, he is also the second most popular sonic character and the most downloaded psa on brawlvaults, he is better than tails

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
And Shadow is more exciting than tails and robotnik. All robotnik does is sit in his egg hover ship and fight inside robots, he wouldnt work, no matter which way you slice it. And that leaves us with Tails vs Shadow, where shadow gets more light than tails nowadays and he actually has fighting powers, in the game tails is just a sonic that can fly, and fly in planes. My point is, the only villan worth adding from the sonic games would be shadow, and the only sonic clone character worth adding is shadow, shadow outclasses tails and evcery other character, he is also the second most popular sonic character and the most downloaded psa on brawlvaults, he is better than tails
more iconic? then TAILS? alright, who's accompanied sonic ever since sonic 2? tails has. who's the only real character introduced in the most sold sonic game of all time? TAILS.

Tails is way more recognizable than shadow, and is also way more unique then shadow. Tails is the best character for a sonic representation yet to be included in project M. nobody else.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
So then they shouldn't have brought back Roy or Mewtwo either, because they were bad.

"But Chizurm! Pichu was meant to be bad! Sakurai intended it!"

That's fine - Sakurai's intentions are often bizarre. We don't want tripping to stay in the game just because he intended it, after all.
Yeah but Roy and Mewtwo where at least better then the worst character in Melee along with like 5 other characters, and they are also leagues more popular than Pichu is (especially in the case of Mewtwo).

Pichu's only popular because he was in melee and is the baby version of Pikachu, if it wasn't for melee Pichu would be completely irrelevant "But L3thargy! Pichu was in Melee so your point is invalid!"

No it isn't, just because a character was in a previous installment doesn't mean he automatically deserves to return, just look at mvc, Ken and Megaman (who both equally have there own large fanbases each) where both in mvc 1+2 but in 3 they had been removed, ultimate mvc3 could have easily re-added them but nope didn't happen

this works both ways btw "Sakurai's intentions are often bizarre. We don't need pichu to be in the game just because Sakurai originally had him in a game, after all."

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah but Roy and Mewtwo where at least better then the worst character in Melee along with like 5 other characters, and they are also leagues more popular than Pichu is (especially in the case of Mewtwo).
Pichu's only popular because he was in melee and is the baby version of Pikachu, if it wasn't for melee Pichu would be completely irrelevant "But L3thargy! Pichu was in Melee so your point is invalid!"

No it isn't, just because a character was in a previous installment doesn't mean he automatically deserves to return, just look at mvc, Ken and Megaman (who both equally have there own large fanbases each) where both in mvc 1+2 but in 3 they had been removed, ultimate mvc3 could have easily re-added them but nope didn't happen

this works both ways btw "Sakurai's intentions are often bizarre. We don't need pichu to be in the game just because Sakurai originally had him in a game, after all."

Ken was a skill swap for Ryu in MvC 1. :D (A genius way of having Ryu, Ken, and Akuma without wasting 3 roster spots).

*runs away*

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Who the heck would even want Roy playable in any Smash game if he wasn't playable in Melee=???

The same goes with tons of characters, like Ness, Jigglypuff, Fox (pre-Star Fox Adventures), Captain Falcon, the Ice Climbers, Snake, the Pokémon Trainer, and the Wii Fit Trainer.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Who the heck would even want Roy playable in any Smash game if he wasn't playable in Melee=???

The same goes with tons of characters, like Ness, Jigglypuff, Fox (pre-Star Fox Adventures), Captain Falcon, the Ice Climbers, Snake, the Pokémon Trainer, and the Wii Fit Trainer.
You're right.......People would of wanted Eliwood instead lmao xD

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We are ok with Roy because he is a fire emblem lord, and he had a unique moveset with a few good aspects. He also had much different physics and mechanics than marth.
Nope. He's the same as Marth. He's got very few differences in Melee. In fact, Pichu probably has more statistical differences from Pikachu than Roy has towards Marth in comparison.

Also, differences in Melee don't really too matter outside of Melee. The PMBR can always make more differences. After all, they made Roy more unique... and way more flashy.
And Shadow is more exciting than tails and robotnik. All robotnik does is sit in his egg hover ship and fight inside robots, he wouldnt work, no matter which way you slice it. And that leaves us with Tails vs Shadow, where shadow gets more light than tails nowadays and he actually has fighting powers, in the game tails is just a sonic that can fly, and fly in planes. My point is, the only villan worth adding from the sonic games would be shadow, and the only sonic clone character worth adding is shadow, shadow outclasses tails and evcery other character, he is also the second most popular sonic character and the most downloaded psa on brawlvaults, he is better than tails
Robotnik could fight in a robot; Tails could fly around and be Tails-y (I think a aerial-heavy character would be nice in Project M).

Shadow... would be just another Sonic. Maybe with a gun, but just another Sonic.

Also, I don't care about popularity. Popularity doesn't make an idea good.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Nope. He's the same as Marth. He's got very few differences in Melee. In fact, Pichu probably has more statistical differences from Pikachu than Roy has towards Marth in comparison.
Nopenopenope.
Pichu has the same falling speed, gravity, dashing speed, and air speed as Pika. There might be other statistical differences, but the major stats are identical. The major difference between Pichu and Pika is size and range.
Roy has a significantly higher gravity, higher falling/fastfalling speed, a lower shorthop, slower dashing speed, shorter wavedash, and the whole sweetspot inversion. I can keep going.
At the very least, you can't really compare the two because their differences are, well, different.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
If we get another Kirby rep, it will be either Waddle Dee or Galacta Knight.
DK def has a shot at another rep.
Louie could actually be interesting.
I'm all for another spacie because Slippy.
Ridley is too damn big a cool idea, it'd be nice to see it work out alright.
Toad would be fun. I know he has hate but what character doesn't?
Young Link could be cool, if he stays a clone. I don't want him but if he shows up I don't want masks. That'd be dumb.
I've said all I can say on Pichu that other people haven't already covered.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
if pokemon is going to get another rep, I don't want it to be a pikachu clone.

Grovyle from pokemon mystery dungeon would be cool though.

(however I still think Red would be best for 8th pkmn rep)

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Nopenopenope.
Pichu has the same falling speed, gravity, dashing speed, and air speed as Pika. There might be other statistical differences, but the major stats are identical. The major difference between Pichu and Pika is size and range.
Roy has a significantly higher gravity, higher falling/fastfalling speed, a lower shorthop, slower dashing speed, shorter wavedash, and the whole sweetspot inversion. I can keep going.
At the very least, you can't really compare the two because their differences are, well, different.
Roy is also.......actually a fully different character rather than a hybrid/relative of another and having the same moves make that worst (Much more killing yourself in the process)..................Pichu = Baby Pikachu with the same moves

Falco is also a fully different character like Roy and he has the same crap as Fox but different properties (Which I kinda hate)

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind plusle & minun, or the wario ware dou mentioned in the social thread. But I mostly just really want to see advanced wars represented, Sami was actually one of the more interesting characters in the series, but Andy would be awesome as well. Apart from that I always really wanted Knuckles, but please no more sword users or fire embelm chars, there are enough characters with disjoints and/or swords already.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to sound antagonistic towards the character, or any other.....But we have 5 Limited spots here.......I figure that people can be more cautious with their selections.....and considerate of everybody who plays this game

I had to adjust my main 5 votes, which doesn't really reflect my primary desire......

Also I'm pretty sure theres a good PSA out there for Pichu. I can put him in the game for you if you want (As much as I'll detest it)

But my approach is that we should try to get characters we all really want that also don't have completed PSAs or a shot at being in SSB4

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Every time I hear the word "rep", I wanna smack somebody.

We play as CHARACTERS, not "reps".
You're right.......People would of wanted Eliwood instead lmao xD
Eliwood would probably be irrelevant. Even if we never had a previously playable Fire Emblem character, the top 2 most wanted characters would still be Marth and Ike, and then (right now) probably Chrom (the generic Marth descendant), Lyn, and Hector, aka the current most wanted characters (minus Roy).

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Every time I hear the word "rep", I wanna smack somebody.

We play as CHARACTERS, not "reps".

Eliwood would probably be irrelevant. Even if we never had a previously playable Fire Emblem character, the top 2 most wanted characters would still be Marth and Ike, and then (right now) probably Chrom (the generic Marth descendant), Lyn, and Hector, aka the current most wanted characters (minus Roy).
Was partly joking but if we're talking about Brawl then of course lol

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Sorry everyone - I think I inadvertently started another Pichu turf war. I didn't mean to.... please forgive me!!!

Every time I see "Black Shadow/Ganondorf" in someone's Up-votes, my heart shatters.

Every time I eat too much rice, I get very backed up. It's a difficult situation, because I certainly enjoy rice. The nice thing about rice, though, is you usually don't get indigestion from it. Even when it's fried, it still goes down pretty smoothly. A meatball sub, though? Forget it. I can be having one of the healthiest months of my life, and the moment I smell a meatball sub I need a tums.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Sorry everyone - I think I inadvertently started another Pichu turf war. I didn't mean to.... please forgive me!!!

Every time I eat too much rice, I get very backed up. It's a difficult situation, because I certainly enjoy rice. The nice thing about rice, though, is you usually don't get indigestion from it. Even when it's fried, it still goes down pretty smoothly. A meatball sub, though? Forget it. I can be having one of the healthiest months of my life, and the moment I smell a meatball sub I need a tums.
fatty

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Every time I urinate, my body loses liquids.
Unofficial theme song for this thread? :D

@Johnknight1-- you might get a kick out of this...

>Posts a video of a song by one of the best bands ever.
>>Posts one of the best songs ever.
>>>Posts a video complaining about a movie that hindered my childhood.

HOW COULD I POSSIBLY LOVE YOU MORE!?!?!?

TDLink

Smash Rookie
For everyone who "wants" Pichu to take one of these slots, ask yourself these 3 questions:

1. Do you only want Pichu in Project M because he was in Melee?
2. Had Pichu never been in Melee but you had the opportunity to add one Nintendo character of your choosing instead, would it have been Pichu?
3. If you had the opportunity to add 5 characters from Nintendo's giant library of franchises, would it be Pichu?

We already have 7 Pokemon characters in Project M. Moreover, if there were to be another addition there are over 700 other options apart from Pichu. Many of which are more popular and/or have more potential. Nintendo has so many worthwhile characters that we don't need another Pokemon, especially one that is literally a baby version of one already in the game.

Roy is a main character of a Fire Emblem game, plus we only have 3 Fire Emblem characters to begin with. The situation is not comparable.

I seriously can't imagine anyone asking themselves those 3 questions and honestly answering them with wanting Pichu. There are so many options. Let's not waste a spot on the roster with this terrible one simply because he was in Melee.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
For everyone who "wants" Pichu to take one of these slots, ask yourself these 3 questions:

2. Had Pichu never been in Melee but you had the opportunity to add one Nintendo character of your choosing instead, would it have been Pichu?
3. If you had the opportunity to add 5 characters from Nintendo's giant library of franchises, would it be Pichu?

We already have 7 Pokemon characters in Project M. Moreover, if there were to be another addition there are over 700 other options apart from Pichu. Many of which are more popular and/or have more potential. Nintendo has so many worthwhile characters that we don't need another Pokemon, especially one that is literally a baby version of one already in the game.

Roy is a main character of a Fire Emblem game, plus we only have 3 Fire Emblem characters to begin with. The situation is not comparable.

I seriously can't imagine anyone asking themselves those 3 questions and honestly answering them with wanting Pichu. There are so many options. Let's not waste a spot on the roster with this terrible one simply because he was in Melee.
This question is a TRUE test for those to search their motives

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I forgot to downvote pichu!

-1 Pichu
he's an unworthy clone, and there's way better pokemon trainer characters to choose from.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454

These aren't exactly fair questions for Pichu supporters. His appearance in Melee IS the only reason they want Pichu. But that's exactly what SHOULD give him an advantage over other characters. Although he is a joke character, people have been playing him lovingly for 12 years. He is ingrained in Smash culture whether any of us like it or not. If there was a proposition to remove Dan from SF, there would be a HELL of a lot of resistance. Not because he's good, but because people love Dan (myself included). It's just something a lot of people should consider when they immediately shut out Pichu. People are attached to him. That's not something that can be said about any of these other characters. If my main was cut from Brawl, I'd be clamoring for him too, no matter how crappy he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom