• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm confused. I mean I find your points valid, even the ones against mine, but I don't know exactly where you stand. I AM saying Shulk wouldn't be in S4 if he didn't cater to the fans exclusively. I'm also saying it was a dumb idea.

Anyway my point is, if an acclaimed creative team goes to the people for some creative input, as a courtesy, I honestly feel like what they get form the majority will be sub-par to their own isolated capabilities, most of the time. It will almost always come out as sort of an eye-rolling 'let the baby have its bottle' kinda deal, you know?
I'm honestly shocked at how you could even have a mentality like this and still be in this thread. You are saying that game developers should never listen to their fans because it hinders their creativity. And that is far beyond the truth. I mean you are literally here voting and discussing like everyone else. You know how hypocritical you sound when you make a statement like that in a thread you participate in? It is beyond crazy.

Smash Bros. isn't a game built on courtesy. It is a game built for the fans of Nintendo. They put characters that people want in it because they know it will help sell the game. It looks good on them when they actually listen to people. And why would anyone want to be a fan of a company that doesn't listen to their fans? It means they won't address issues their games have. It means they won't add characters people like. It means that anything past the original Smash Bros. wouldn't exist in the first place.

You seriously need to consider what it is you are arguing against, because all it sounds like to me is that you are mad about the game not having characters you felt deserved it more than who actually made it in.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
I'm honestly shocked at how you could even have a mentality like this and still be in this thread.
I told you my viewpoints were unpopular. I understand the paradox and the contention of it all, but I simply think that, in this particular instance of people voting for fighting game characters to be made, most ideas will be (dare I use the word) objectively crappy and only a few will be objectively of value, and it's the entire mass's joint responsibility establish what from what, most weight pulled by the uniquely insightful and creative of the bunch. It's how the "marketplace of free ideas" functions. The cream rises to the top, but in this case the cream should not be assumed by majority vote until the majority is fully exposed to the ideas of true value and as many are correctly swayed as possible before the decision is stamped.

It's kind of like convincing a bunch of kids in a classroom that they don't want chicken nuggets, the teachers will desperately try to explain to them they simply like the idea of chicken nuggets, that they only taste good superficially, that a salmon steak with asparagus is better for them, more variety, with more culture. But it would take time and commitment to get them to understand. They'd have to sit down and show them research, show before and after images of fat people who don't get enough vitamins and omega 3 fatty acids, etc. Eventually most of the children who at one point thoughtlessly cried CHICKEN NUGETTS YAYYY in unison will succumb to the most obvious truth that was at one point latent.

I know it's dodgy using a metaphor involving something as objective as food health to artistic taste, but I think things are almost as objective in both these fields.

Last edited:

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
I told you my viewpoints were unpopular. I understand the paradox and the contention of it all, but I simply think that, in this particular instance of people voting for fighting game characters to be made, most ideas will be (dare I use the word) objectively crappy and only a few will be objectively of value, and it's the entire mass's joint responsibility establish what from what, most weight pulled by the uniquely insightful and creative of the bunch. It's how the "marketplace of free ideas" functions. The cream rises to the top, but in this case the cream should not be assumed by majority vote until the majority is fully exposed to the ideas of true value and as many are correctly swayed as possible before the decision is stamped.

It's kind of like convincing a bunch of kids in a classroom that they don't want chicken nuggets, the teachers will desperately try to explain to them they simply like the idea of chicken nuggets, that they only taste good superficially, that a salmon steak with asparagus is better for them, more variety, with more culture. But it would take time and commitment to get them to understand. They'd have to sit down and show them research, show before and after images of fat people who don't get enough vitamins and omega 3 fatty acids, etc. Eventually most of the children who at one point thoughtlessly cried CHICKEN NUGETTS YAYYY in unison will succumb to the most obvious truth that was at one point latent.

I know it's dodgy using a metaphor involving something as objective as food health to artistic taste, but I think things are almost as objective in both these fields.
But the people in this thread, by and large, aren't kids clamoring for fried chicken. They're passionate Smash fans who have spent hours upon hours talking all things Smash, including which characters make sense for playable inclusion and what sort of movesets they could sport.

Since you like food, the better analogy here is the judgment of one head chef versus the judgment of a panel of culinary critics. Which would you trust more? Wouldn't it make sense to take the insights of both groups on-board? Especially if those food critics are going to have to pay for and eat the meal the head chef cooks?

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master

There are so many things wrong with your analogy, I don't even know if it's worth the time to point them out.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
There are so many things wrong with your analogy, I don't even know if it's worth the time to point them out.
I think I can help you with that.

One, I know it's offensive comparing the smashboard users to squealing children. But judging the results of the poll, I think it's clear that their conception of what is a good idea can be likened to a child's conception of what is good to eat.

Two, as I said, I know that food health is a more fact-based and objective field than aesthetic taste. But like I immediately also said, I don't think matters like this are as subjective as people think.

And this is kind of in point one, but I also know it's a ****-move to assume that I and others like me hold the rank as omniscient teacher in this election, but I mean I'm just callin it as I sees it.

Last edited:

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
But judging the results of the poll, I think it's clear that their conception of what is a good idea can be likened to a child's conception of what is good to eat.
Be specific. What problems with the highly-voted characters do you have a problem with?

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Since you like food, the better analogy here is the judgment of one head chef versus the judgment of a panel of culinary critics. Which would you trust more? Wouldn't it make sense to take the insights of both groups on-board? Especially if those food critics are going to have to pay for and eat the meal the head chef cooks?
And I like this analogy, but to continue to play off this culinary metaphor, for me it's more like there is a head chef, and then a group of simple food enthusiasts, only a few of which mixed within the mass of opinions and tastes are certified food critics who the rest are simply people who like to eat, and the former can try to go around preaching their more valuable expertise and try to find each other to amplify their influence, but it's going to be a sh*tshow, shepard-of-cats scenario no matter what.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
if hatsune miku is a choice i would vote for her

edit: imagine hatsune miku with like a hello planet stage to rep her

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Be specific. What problems with the highly-voted characters do you have a problem with?
I am so glad you asked. And I hope this doesn't infuriate you, but I want to put enough time and thought into responding to that when I've done a bit more work (I am at the office and on the clock). I will get back to you on it in the next hour or so. I know I've ******* on all 3 top votes individually plenty in this forum.

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
I am so glad you asked. And I hope this doesn't infuriate you, but I want to put enough time and thought into responding to that when I've done a bit more work (I am at the office and on the clock). I will get back to you on it in the next hour or so. I know I've *****ed on all 3 top votes individually plenty in this forum.
Take your time. Interested to hear your reasoning.

Shin F.

Smash Master
And I like this analogy, but to continue to play off this culinary metaphor, for me it's more like there is a head chef, and then a group of simple food enthusiasts, only a few of which mixed within the mass of opinions and tastes are certified food critics who the rest are simply people who like to eat, and the former can try to go around preaching their more valuable expertise and try to find each other to amplify their influence, but it's going to be a sh*tshow, shepard-of-cats scenario no matter what.
Okay, then. Imagine, if you will, that 95% of the enthusiasts actually agree with the critics. No convincing necessary on either side, here - there is one dish that both groups of people agree is, without doubt, the best. The head chef's opinion is unknown, but he has expressed interest in it. There are a few other dishes that are also of very high esteem, but aren't quite at the same level.

And then the other 5% of the people there find these top dishes that everyone else loves to be bland and tasteless. That 5% then proceeds to say that the 95% either have no taste or simply don't know what's best for them.

Last edited:

Notshane

Smash Ace
For Project M, here are the top five people I think should be in it, and my preference for each (they're all speed characters, I know lol) blue are ones I really want in there:

1# Waluigi (long awaited)
(his moves have already been revealed, actually cause he's in the making on the Project M videos. He looks great, though can't wait to play him)

2# Isaac (definitely long awaited)
Fast character, and make use of that big aura hand that he used in his Assist Trophy form, like make it his B move and let him charge it up so he uses it as he did in that form that would be sick, rather than being a final smash which would be awkward. He should also have a mix of sword and punch based moves, and give a plot twist by making his forward smash a melee attack in place of his sword to confuse people, would be interesting.

Final Smash: Releases a big orb into the sky that goes above screen level then grows in size to form a sun. Isaac then absorbs this sun, rises and begins to glow. After this, he starts healing and lowering his damage counter back to 0%, but every percentage is taken from an opponent

However high Isaac's damage counter is, it keeps refilling until it is at 0% and whatever damage is left from opponents is the percentage taken. He takes 1 at a time from each opponent, at a rapid fire speed (so 3 opponents, with one percentage per opponent would fill 3 percentage for Isaac well causing 1 percent damage for each opponent) well screaming.

So if Isaac had 100%, and there were three opponents, each opponent would receive 30% in their damage counter, with one receiving 31%.

After his health is regenerated, he uses a psynergy aura push (similar to Goku's Ki-Blast move in Tenkaichi 3 where all he does is spread his hands and it pushes the opponent away) and that deals 20% to each opponent, and has half the strength of a home run bat smash. Isaac then descends, ending the smash.

3# Ray MK III (looked interesting)
Fast character, projectile moves similar to Megaman in SSB4 and definitely have a hold jump levitation thing similar to Peach and Mewtwo and his Up-and-B could be something cool too. Should definitely take advantage of his laser and missile moves for his main A moves, rather than punching. His B moves could be alternate, more powerful projectiles. Maybe even give him a charge laser for his regular B, similar to the redesigned Ivysaur's beam.

Final Smash: All his A moves are powerful lasers, down A shoots two lasers in both directions (well grounded) and either direction shoots the laser that way. Holding jump puts him in endless rocket levitation that is very zig-zaggy and quick as he is in Assist Trophy form. When in the air, his down A instead shoots downward.

4# Dark Samus (definitely different, unlike DARK PIT why was he the same thing again)

Well Samus is known for being kinda clunky in the speed zone, Dark Samus should definitely be much quicker. Haven't seen her in action at all in the games, but whatever moves you can implement from them, do that. But definitely make her fast, cause that way it truly is an opposite clone of Samus.

Final Smash: No clue, maybe whatever she did in the Prime games that was big and frightening that dealt a lot of health off Samus.

5# Lyn
Fast, again haha. But, actually really fast, faster than Fox. Make her sword moves quick, yet deadly. Make even her smashes go through quickly, not charging of course but when they're released. Make her forward smash deal not one, or two, but three hits (similar to how Link's can do two if A is pressed again) each time A is pressed. Anything else is up to the creator, but preferably make her fast in her moves and base her style off the way she played in the game, but really quick.

Final Smash: Unsheathes her sword, disappears, everyone stops moving and an explanation point is shown above each player, then suddenly everyone receives 50% damage, then she reappears and they're all shot off the stage after she sheathes her sword.

That is all I got for my recommendations. Hope people enjoyed my preferences.

Exodo

Smash Ace
For Project M, here are the top five people I think should be in it, and my preference for each (they're all speed characters, I know lol) blue are ones I really want in there:

1# Waluigi (long awaited)
(his moves have already been revealed, actually cause he's in the making on the Project M videos. He looks great, though can't wait to play him)

2# Isaac (definitely long awaited)
Fast character, and make use of that big aura hand that he used in his Assist Trophy form, like make it his B move and let him charge it up so he uses it as he did in that form that would be sick, rather than being a final smash which would be awkward. He should also have a mix of sword and punch based moves, and give a plot twist by making his forward smash a melee attack in place of his sword to confuse people, would be interesting.

Final Smash: Releases a big orb into the sky that goes above screen level then grows in size to form a sun. Isaac then absorbs this sun, rises and begins to glow. After this, he starts healing and lowering his damage counter back to 0%, but every percentage is taken from an opponent

However high Isaac's damage counter is, it keeps refilling until it is at 0% and whatever damage is left from opponents is the percentage taken. He takes 1 at a time from each opponent, at a rapid fire speed (so 3 opponents, with one percentage per opponent would fill 3 percentage for Isaac well causing 1 percent damage for each opponent) well screaming.

So if Isaac had 100%, and there were three opponents, each opponent would receive 30% in their damage counter, with one receiving 31%.

After his health is regenerated, he uses a psynergy aura push (similar to Goku's Ki-Blast move in Tenkaichi 3 where all he does is spread his hands and it pushes the opponent away) and that deals 20% to each opponent, and has half the strength of a home run bat smash. Isaac then descends, ending the smash.

3# Ray MK III (looked interesting)
Fast character, projectile moves similar to Megaman in SSB4 and definitely have a hold jump levitation thing similar to Peach and Mewtwo and his Up-and-B could be something cool too. Should definitely take advantage of his laser and missile moves for his main A moves, rather than punching. His B moves could be alternate, more powerful projectiles. Maybe even give him a charge laser for his regular B, similar to the redesigned Ivysaur's beam.

Final Smash: All his A moves are powerful lasers, down A shoots two lasers in both directions (well grounded) and either direction shoots the laser that way. Holding jump puts him in endless rocket levitation that is very zig-zaggy and quick as he is in Assist Trophy form. When in the air, his down A instead shoots downward.
4# Dark Samus (definitely different, unlike DARK PIT why was he the same thing again)
Well Samus is known for being kinda clunky in the speed zone, Dark Samus should definitely be much quicker. Haven't seen her in action at all in the games, but whatever moves you can implement from them, do that. But definitely make her fast, cause that way it truly is an opposite clone of Samus.

Final Smash: No clue, maybe whatever she did in the Prime games that was big and frightening that dealt a lot of health off Samus.

5# Lyn
Fast, again haha. But, actually really fast, faster than Fox. Make her sword moves quick, yet deadly. Make even her smashes go through quickly, not charging of course but when they're released. Make her forward smash deal not one, or two, but three hits (similar to how Link's can do two if A is pressed again) each time A is pressed. Anything else is up to the creator, but preferably make her fast in her moves and base her style off the way she played in the game, but really quick.

Final Smash: Unsheathes her sword, disappears, everyone stops moving and an explanation point is shown above each player, then suddenly everyone receives 50% damage, then she reappears and they're all shot off the stage after she sheathes her sword.

That is all I got for my recommendations. Hope people enjoyed my preferences.
watchu mean waluigi was revealed?

steelguttey

mei is bei
holy **** are people still thinking that waluigi is in project m THAT WAS A JOKE THAT IS A MOD THAT IS OUT RIGHT NOW GO DOWNLOAD IT

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how we missed it, Vaati was in Brawl the whole time!

Silly us, now we can all vote for the villain that we truly want, right? Haha ahahaHAHAHAHAHA

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Some never-mentioned characters I came up with these days:

Ricky Winterborn (1080º / Wave Race): A character based on two modes, snowboarder and water scooter. I think it has material for a pretty original character.

Prince Ephraim (Fire Emblem): we have lots of sword based characters... but we haven't a lance based one. Long range, zoning character. Could fit PM perfectly.

Diskun (Famicom Disk System interface): not exactly a video game character, but it could use lots of retro references such as Pac-Man does in SSB4.

King Boo (Luigi's Mansion): we need a nemesis for Luigi. I think this character could be a defensive one. Very good at avoiding attacks and one interesting mechanic: if the enemy sees him, he is damn slow. So he must be with his back to the enemy in order to perform a quick combo.

Kyle Hide (Hotel Dusk / Last Window): a character from a graphic adventure is something I would kill for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom